[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Watchmen the comic better than Watchmen the movie? I haven't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

File: image.png (243KB, 489x203px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
243KB, 489x203px
Why is Watchmen the comic better than Watchmen the movie? I haven't seen or read either.
>>
Just read it
>>
>>85219726
You just want me to post the Kaptain Kristian video don't you?
>>
>>85219726
Why is any movie different than its source?
>>
>>85219726
The tough thing about Watchmen is that's it's the "Citizen Kane" of superhero comics, so most people would hold a movie adaptation to the same standards.

I have not enjoyed Synder's more recent movies, but you could tell he cared about the material. The problem was that he wasn't capable of exploring almost any of the comic's themes with any depth. Snyder is a man for crazy explosions and cool moments; any slowdown or reflection for him is a necessary evil of movie-making for him.

So it's not a bad movie, but it just makes we want to read the comic again.
>>
>>85219740
>>85219754
This to be fucking honest family.
>>
The endings for both versions will forever be shit.
>>
Saw the movie first and thought it was brilliant.

Read the comic afterwards and it really just shits on the movie by expanding heavily on the lore and all of the characterization.

Not to mention the meta comic within the comic that describes the comic itself that was dropped from the film entirely.
>>
>>85220242
Ultimate cut has the Black Pirate thing
>>
>>85219726
All the live-action and Tumblr vs /pol/ threads and this post somehow is even better at summing up 2016 /co/.
>>
>>85220282
I don't recall seeing that

Anyhow the adaptation got all of the iconic pages damn perfect but it was still missing a bit of substance
>>
>>85221231
I meant I don't recall seeing the ultimate cut sorry
>>
>>85219726
getting the graphic novel to prepare me for Rebirth

what am I in for?
>>
>>85219726
Because m-m-muh Alan Moore cock in muh mouth of fantards.
>>
>>85221355
Just read the Fucking boom go in blind best way to read it
>>
>>85221355
Manhattan's chapter will be the peak of the entire thing.
>>
>>85219726
The movie has a better plot twist imo.
>>
>>85219726
Simply put it adapted most scenes almost beat for beat from the story, but completely misread the emotional tone of it all. So you get an adaptation that, apart from a few obvious differences, looks almost exactly like the comic, but the story ends up feeling a lot cheaper because the impact of it all is different.

The most obvious example is Nite Owl's sex scene. He's a desperate loser who can't get his dick hard unless he's beating someone up, but the movie turns the scene he has with Laurie into some kind of drawn-out semi-divine event with overblown as fuck music and all.
>>
>>85221355
>what am I in for
A lot of things you won't catch the first time.
>>
>>85221796

I disagree on the inflection on that particular scene. Any other examples?
>>
It's not really a content thing. It's the things that can't be adapted, the specific beats on the page.
>>
Comic is great on a first read but starts to feel more and more obnoxious as time goes on.

Movie is okay at best on a first watch but gets more enjoyable when you watch it later again.
>>
>>85219726

The graphic novel tells the story of so many more characters. It gives the final pages of #11 so much more power.

It should have been a series, really it should. Not a movie at all. Even if the music was pretty great.
>>
>>85222528

The exact opposite of my experience.
>>
>>85220242
The meta comic was shit anyway.
>>
>>85219726
It isn't, it's the same thing.

People will claim the movie "misses the point" yet they never make that "point" themselves.
>>
>>85219726
>grimderp reimagining hurr durr
The saturday morning cartoon was the only good version.
>>
>>85223270
those guys just dont understand that you can turn something as godlike as the watchmen comic in to one movie, you need to cut corners.

I for one understand that the fake alien atack would take a lot more screentime to explain and would confuse a lot of casuals.
Same for the black pirate part, putting in something like that eats screentime.

In the end they made a good movie, loosly based on the watchmen comic.
>>
>>85224337
That just proves the argument that they shouldn't have tried to begin with.

But then again that goes for a lot of these retarded cape movies and they won't stop until the trend's completely milked dry.
>>
>>85223270

The movie has a much happier, more hopeful ending than the comic book.

In the comic book, there's a final scene between Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias where Dr. Manhattan tells him that his plan only delayed the inevitable and that he basically just killed a bunch of people for nothing.
>>
>>85224398

Lets be serious, even if they used every part of the comic for the movie, took all the best actors in the world, blew a billion dollars on CGI and pumped alan moore full of LSD and cocaine and put him on set 24/7 to explain how he envisioned it.

Even then there would be people complaining about something.
>>
>>85219726
Comic doesn't have Znyder on it.
>>
Comic doesn't have Akerman in it.
>>
>>85226893
>Is it too much to ask.......... for a miracle.

Worst delivery in a capeshit movie tbqh
>>
He made the violence cool.
>>
File: file.jpg (167KB, 950x344px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
167KB, 950x344px
The comic kind of bored me, tried to re-read it numerous times, but it really didn't click with me or the same level it did with others. Same for V for Vendetta, did like both of the film adaptations for what they were though
>>
>>85219726

Watchmen, the comic, was written with 2 official intents (and a secret third one):
> making a comic which would be on par with "real litterature"
> making a comic which would be impossible to translate into a movie
> (making a comic which makes Alan Moore look so smarter than everyone else)

I can't prove the third point, but the other 2 are real. Author clearly said that he tried to use the medium in ways that couldn't be used by other mediums. For example there are many objects which are used over and over in the comic, to create artifical links between the scenes, in a movie it doesn't translate well because we can't go at our own pace and notice them.

So it has that reputation of being impossible to adapt to cinema, which is funny because >>85219825 is right, so many movies are good and yet different form their source. It simply isn't a problem, it's to be expected.

> Also the twist is better in the movie
> Or at least less retarded
>>
>>85223207
This.
I liked the movie the first time I watched it, but after reading the comic it just doesn't hold up, and every time I reread the comic I notice something interesting I didn't saw before.
>>
The comic is an amazingly structured piece of writing and graphic design. Any film would have a hard time capturing things like the shape of the gap in the snow at the start of Chapter XI looping back around to the shape of the vaporised people at the end (who we got to know from having had their little interactions interspersed through all the chapters). A director as sprawling as Snyder was certainly never going to grasp the ticking, orderly precision of the book.
>>
>>85221355

Quite possibly the most overrated story in the history of comics,
>>
Anything that makes Alan Moore have kittens Im all for.
>>
>>85230643
Why do you want to bully Alan? What did he ever do to you?
>>
Beyond all the stuff mentioned before.

The characters and plot get treated pretty badly.

It didn't even try to be a Mystery story with Adrian having a giant neon sign following him around of "I DID IT"

You don't give a shit when you care about who Laurie's parents are

They miss the reason for Walter going over into the deep end

Dan being a world class martial artist kinda ruins his whole character

They pick and choose bits but ignore the bits that lead to them or build from them and the resulting movie is a mess.
>>
File: cool.png (648KB, 986x516px) Image search: [Google]
cool.png
648KB, 986x516px
>>85223221
Muh nigga; I thought I was the only one who hated it.
>>
>>85230808
IKR!
>>
>>85219726

among other things
because it missed the entire point of being a deconstruction and just made everything/everyone COOL
changing the ending, missing the entire point of it literally and thematically
>>
Both the comic and movie are mediocre just with differing faults.
>>
File: bravo snyder.png (3MB, 1918x982px) Image search: [Google]
bravo snyder.png
3MB, 1918x982px
I swear to god I notice something new every time I watch this.
>>
>>85231001
Like the ozymandias charity posters in the alley
>>
File: 1350369609001.png (122KB, 448x250px) Image search: [Google]
1350369609001.png
122KB, 448x250px
>>85223221
Fucking this!

Why the fuck would you put in a thematic comic book within a thematic comic book?! It's not depth, it's redundancy.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.