[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is animation at large never taken seriously unless excessive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: sausage party.jpg (107KB, 1401x788px) Image search: [Google]
sausage party.jpg
107KB, 1401x788px
Why is animation at large never taken seriously unless excessive profanity and raunchy humor to cater to adults is apparent? I'm fairly autistic and naive, but that's the impression I have.

I'm sure /co/ knows everything.
>>
>>85212431
>Why is animation at large never taken seriously
There's the problem, the large general public does not take animation seriously unless it's on the big screen.

Now who takes animation very seriously? Animators and film festivals. Not sure of the size of those groups however.
>>
Because when people in America think of animation aimed at adults they think of Simpsons or Family Guy. Anything else that is animation is regarded as animation for kids or isn't popular enough to matter.
>>
>>85212431
Because a significant amount of it is aimed at kids
>>
>What is Pixar?
>What is Dreamworks?
>What is DAS?
>What is Laika?

Yes you're autistic. Research and kill yourself before posting
>>
>>85212640
Yes I'm aware of this but I can't grasp the logic behind it. It drives me crazy people can think like this and not wonder why it doesn't make sense or how insanely close-minded and biased it is.
>>
>>85212693
They don't care, it's really nothing to fret about it.
>>
>>85212693
Basically no serious adult animated content has broken through to change that opinion. The majority of the public just doesn't care or isn't interested in it currently. All animation aimed at adults is still basically comedies in the Simpsons, Family Guy or South Park genre and that mindset has been reinforced over years of being fed the same comedy content. It's ridiculous how many Simpsons clones have been made. All attempts at serious content have failed so no one produces serious animated content for American audiences because there is no money in it.

There is a lot of money in animated kids content and that is being pumped out a lot right now, especially in movies like Pets, Inside Out or Minions. So loads of studios are throwing money at making animated movies kids want to see where their parents take them. This helps reinforce the idea and mindset that unless it is animation like the Simpsons then it is for kids and not adults. Some people argue that movies like Up or Inside Out deal with adult themes and are adult-like, but that isn't really true. They are firmly kids movies.

Also targeting kids (the most profitable market) means they can try and sell merch based off the animation, like toys, and that can generate loads of money just by itself. You don't have that kind of option with more serious animated content aimed at adults. So there is less profit incentive to make that kind of content over content for kids. I mean I'm old enough to remember going to the toy store and they would have toys from Spawn, Aliens, Terminator, Judge Dredd and loads of horror movie characters but they don't do that anymore since I guess the market for it died out. You don't really see any merch, like toys, for those kind of movies a lot anymore.
>>
>>85212656
Those are still seen as children's movies though. And they're definitely not taken seriously, just look at the Oscars.
>>
>>85213527
it doesn't help any attempt the Japanese make at animation is terrible. Fucking can't believe they pitched terrible shit like pic related or that creepy ass one about magical girls to the Oscars.
>>
Making serious animation is like sweeping floor with toothbrush. You can do it, but mop is better.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.