[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scenario A: >villain kills person >batman takes him to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 11

File: fagman.jpg (93KB, 700x350px) Image search: [Google]
fagman.jpg
93KB, 700x350px
Scenario A:
>villain kills person
>batman takes him to arkham asylum
>he breaks out and kills 10 people
>he breaks out and kills 10 more people
>repeat 50+ more times
>net loss of life: 500+

Scenario B:
>villain kills person
>batman takes him in for execution
>he doesn't kill again
>net loss of life: 1

Explain to me how Scenario A is better than Scenario B.
>>
>>85017365
A gives us various stories and less butt hurt nerds
>>
>>85017365
>Explain to me how Scenario A is better than Scenario B.
When did this meme start? Scenario B is obviously better but then Batman would have no purpose

I swear, nitpicky little shits like you need to realize not everything NEEDS to make 100% sense.
>>
>>85017365
Batman drops people off at the police. They go up for trial, and are deemed mentally unstable by the court, and are put in arkham. It's the failure of the court system that doesn't see these clearly unrepentant individuals as dangers to society.
>>
File: image.jpg (146KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
146KB, 640x640px
>>85017365
You forgot Option C

Batman rapes the villain. No lives lost
>>
>>85017365
MAN OF MURDER
>>
Honestly, batman has so many villains that i wish someone would just kill off freeze and two face and scarecrow etc.
>>
It's not Batman's responsibility. If Gotham's legal system wants to declare someone like the Joker as mentally unfit to stand trial, it's their spilled blood. Batman is just helping the police who aren't supposed to be judge, jury, and executioner.
>>
File: be0.jpg (81KB, 448x635px) Image search: [Google]
be0.jpg
81KB, 448x635px
>>85017365
Why do you want Batman specifically to kill? There are literally dozens of vigilantes and police that are more than willing to do so, fuck Red Hood is literally a Batman that kills. But for some reason Batman has to do it? Why? Is the idea of a guy who simply does not want to kill people foreign to you?
>>
>>85019071
Because he is the only one with real agency. Red hood is just supposed to be another mirror version of Batman (Like half his rogue gallery), the cops are redshirts and set pieces and other heroes exist just to be brought to Batman's line of thinking or beaten up.

He also keeps saving his villains. He has saved the Joker from the Punisher, Red hood, some of the other robins, Nightwing and a few others I can't remember.
>>
>scenario A
>you can sell comics with the character for 60 years

>scenario B
>can sell one comic with character
>have to keep coming up with new characters
>>
>>85017365
This looks like a interesting character
What is his name ?
>>
File: da phuc.jpg (122KB, 602x655px) Image search: [Google]
da phuc.jpg
122KB, 602x655px
>>85017365
>batman takes him in for execution
Are you actually suggesting it's up to Batman what sentence the criminals he captures get? What kind of mental retardation is this?
>>
>>85017365
Its about the principal of the thing anon. It doesn't come through in all versions of batman but basically what he wants is for these people to be redeemed.

This is why angry versions of Batman don't make allot of sense, when he's depicted as an angry psycho with a violence fetish it does feel like wtf why doesn't he just kill these people? And the whole "then he'd become just like them!" argument is retarded.

Good versions of Batman though, like BTAS, you see that he doesn't kill them because really he's trying to save them. Batman believes everyone has a shot at redemption, or at least that its not up to him when someone runs out of chances.
>>
I'd love to hear what makes you think that Bruce is the one who decides if they get sent to Arkham or not. He doesn't take them to the chair himself you know. He's not Gotham prosecutor.

And with your second scenario, what is this, Civil War II? He should decide right away that someone who committed one murder will commit dozens more? It doesn't work like that,

See, my interpretation of Bruce is that the belief that someone can become better is at the core of the character. He did it himself. He went from rich orphan to Batman, simply because he chose to. In a way, he is ridiculously hopeful because he never loses faith in other people. He might not trust them, but he sincerely believe that they can make the decisions that will turn their life around. I love how Clayface is in Detective Comics precisely because of that.

Is it silly that the Joker is always sent to Arkham? Without a doubt. But for me it's not the point, because DC characters are at their best when they are archetypes, concept, metaphors, symbols and not just realistic character. It's the big difference between Marvel and DC for me. Both approach have merits of course.
>>
>>85020271
I like you anon.
>>
Batman's a vigilante. He operates outside of the law, and was not appointed by any kind of judicial system. You can't appoint him the kind of power to become judge/jury/executioner or else it'll create a being more deadly than Joker ever was or could be: one man with the power to murder whoever he deems criminal.
>>
>>85020271
>See, my interpretation of Bruce is that the belief that someone can become better is at the core of the character.

I do not think this is the case based on Bruce's characterization. Bruce's anti-kill policy operates from a hatred of death (probably based on the death of his parents) that founds and pairs with a desire to have no part of it. When Damian kills Nobody, for example. Bruce isn't as much upset that Nobody died as he is that Damian has "blood on his hands". When Nightwing beat Joker to death, Bruce wasn't frantic to save Joker (although he did) he was more concerned with the fact that Nightwing took a life. In Nightwings shitty solo by Grayson, when he doesn't stop Tarantula(?) from killing Blockbuster, Bruce doesn't seem particularly upset that Blockbuster died, but he does express his disappointment in Nightwing for failing to save him.

What you described, the whole "there's always hope" attitude for the no-kill, is more Spider-Man's reasoning. I think Bruce is too cynical to think that way. Hell, in Snyder's run at least he seems to consider the Joker as a monster for example. That's not the attitude of someone who's hoping for redemption.
>>
>>85017365
You do realize the only reason Gotham is plagued by criminals constantly and forever is due to literal handwave magic and status quo?
>>
Batman is not judge, jury, and executioner. He is basically a cop in that reguard.
>>
File: 1468936579178.jpg (207KB, 692x960px) Image search: [Google]
1468936579178.jpg
207KB, 692x960px
>>85020271
>See, my interpretation of Bruce is that the belief that someone can become better is at the core of the character. He did it himself. He went from rich orphan to Batman, simply because he chose to. In a way, he is ridiculously hopeful because he never loses faith in other people. He might not trust them, but he sincerely believe that they can make the decisions that will turn their life around. I love how Clayface is in Detective Comics precisely because of that.
>I love how Clayface is in Detective Comics precisely because of that.

What the fuck did i miss?
>>
Or maybe Arkham should do its fucking job and not let criminals escape over and over.
>>
>>85019964
Batman is Judge, Jury, and Executor
>>
>>85021496
Batman is the goddamn Batman
>>
>>85017365

Within story, it's not Batman's fault the state will not execute the really bad guys he brings in and that Arkham fails to contain them. He is acting within his boundaries by making citizen's arrests against criminals that are too dangerous for normal policemen much of the time, and the facts he doesn't become judge, jury, and executioner and cooperates with the police are the main reason the GCPD can turn a blind eye to his vigilante activities. If Batman kills, things get a lot more complicated, and Batman can't insist on a death penalty (and given what we see of Bruce, using money to push for tougher death penalty laws against the mentally ill isn't really his style).

Outside of the story, death and imprisonment are exactly the same thing; a box to put the villain in before they return the next time a writer wants to do a story with that character. This will happen in either scenario, but the villains breaking out of arkham is far more plausible, requires fewer bullshit plot devices that retcon or undo death, and doesn't make Batman look like a ruthless killer who isn't even doing any good by snapping the Joker's neck because the Joker is up and about in a month anyway.
>>
>>85017365
Scenario C:
>villain kills person
>Batman takes him in to the police.
>Trial goes on for a year, villain is sent to Arkham Asylum
>Never breaks out because real life is not comics.
>>
>>85017365
Because in scenario A no real people perish.
>>
>>85021562
THIIIIISS.
At most we'd get a "Joker goes to Hell and bros it up with Etrigan story" that would last a single arc before some writer wants to use him.
>>
>>85019964
Normaly I agree like with heores like Superman, but Bruce actually supports Arkham asylum and tries to get as many criminals into Arkham instead of a proper sentence as possible.
>>
>>85017365
We have this thread every day.
>>
>>85019071
Batman WILL stop them from doing so.
>>
>>85019599
B, if Europe and Japan can keep making new and good characters, why can't the US?
>>
>>85019599
But the US does. You just refuse to read anything but Big 2 capeshit.
>>
>>85019071
Because he's the main character.
>>
>>85021373
That's a shitty version of Batman though. There's always hope is much better than he just hates death cause he's psychologically damaged.

Why do people love crazy batman so much? Hero batman is so much better.

That is why BTAS batman is the definitive batman. He was a hero on that show not some nutjob with a fetish for beating people up.
>>
Batman's effectiveness will go greatly down the second he kills someone. He loses the cooperation of the police. The justice league will want awnsers. Batman is there to take down superman if he falls, you don't think the reverse is true?

Right now he gets so much leeway by not making enemies of the police and other supers.
>>
>>85017498
>killing off all the most interesting B-listers-turned-A-listers-turned-B-list-again villain
C'mon, when's even the last time you saw a Freeze or Two-Face or Scarecrow-centric arc?
>>
>>85017365
>Explain to me how Scenario A is better than Scenario B.

By not killing Bruce has the archetypical powers of heroism on his side. So he can save the universe while fighting Darkseid.
>>
>>85023092
>Japan can keep making new and good characters
But they can't.
>>
>>85019490
punisher?
>>
>>85020549
That's what I wish more "Why doesn't Batman kill the Joker?"fags would understand - Batman getting to decide who gets taken in, and who gets summarily executed, makes him fucking terrifying to EVERYBODY, not just criminals.
>>
>>85024153
>Why do people love crazy batman so much? Hero batman is so much better.
I blame Tim Burton. That damn movie probably still has more pop cultural permeation than any other except for TDK, and unfortunately all most people seemed to take from that is "Lol omg the Jokur is hardcore" and not the point that Batman makes in the "There won't be any fireworks" climax.
>>
>>85017365
>Wanting an unelected, ungoverned police state where one unknown man provides extrajudicial executions to anyone he deems to be not worth rehabilitation or doesn't adhere to his morals

no
>>
>>85021465
I'm only tangentially familiar myself, but Clayface is seemingly redeemed/in mid-redemption as a member of the Bat-family now. He morphs his body into different enemies for their training room, and provides them with the ultimate spy.
>>
>>85021496
>Batman is Judge, Jury, and Executor
...Batman has the legal authority to carry out people's wills? Well, I suppose he would, being a Judge and all. Has anyone done an Elseworld where Batman actually pursued a career as a D.A. or something?
>>
>>85017365

The issue is that once people started to examine and deconstruct Batman just throwing villains into the asylum just for them to escape for the next issue, it slowly became impossible to justify his choices because while his no kill rule would has moral standing, it falls flat because the Joker and such will ALWAYS appear in future stories somehow and it makes Batman and Arkham in general look like morons because they can't manage this shit.

Basically he was always a slave to the format and it just doesn't translate well in stories with heavy continuity because it just makes him look like a self-righteous cunt who would rather have innocent people die than one guilty person pay the ultimate price.

Even worse when he tries to impose those rules on the people around him.
>>
>>85017365
Oooh ooh, because Batman is a non-governmental force and therefore his wealth doesn't let him pick who does or doesn't die.

His job is to stop crimes, and it's up to the state to properly deal with the criminals. This is like blaming a police psychic for not also killing the people he catches.
>>
>We should put everything on Batman

Perhaps people should get up and make the goverment legislate a death penalty.
>>
File: DetectiveComicsClayface.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
DetectiveComicsClayface.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
>>85025284
Also escape vehicle. Slight spoiler in the text. And the images
>>
Gotham's in New Jersey. It doesn't even HAVE a death penalty, except when it does.
>>
>>85025623
>Gotham's in New Jersey
No wonder it's so corrupt and nothing can get fixed
>>
>>85024917
Last Two-Face central arc was in Batman and Robin, after Damian died but before Bruce tried to bring him back.
>>
>>85024153
BTAS batman is psychologically damaged though
>>
>>85025623
Gotham is NY Nigga

T. Brooklynite
>>
File: image.jpg (56KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56KB, 320x320px
>>85017365
Option 3: don't take them to Arkham. Take them to a moon jail
>>
>>85024917
Arkham City for Freeze and Two Face, Arkham Knight for Scarecrow

It was actually a really nice twist making Scarecrow actually win
>>
>>85025353
Which is the main problem of Batman, and a lot of capes in general: they don't fit the format and tone their world is in. Capes like Batman and Superman worked in the Silver-Age because continuity was virtually non-existent and the crimes were more outlandish than dangerous. What we have now are comedy characters trying to be serious without a hint of irony and it just looks bad when they see the bodies pile up right in front of them. They just don't fit, but people have spent decades forcing them to fit and it's way too late to turn back now. It's all some people even know.
>>
>>85021496
>executor

wait, he has to carry out the villains wills too?
>>
>>85017365
Scenario A is the Batman, Scenario B is the Midnighter (he also handles the execution by ripping our the villain's spine or shit)

Twist: the villain still comes back as a clone, AI, parallel dimension iteration, etc.

No difference.
>>
>>85029583

It's why I'm happy to let Batman's no kill rule be no 'murder'. Manslaughter and reasonable force in self defense? Different.

People didn't like Batman killing in BvS, or the Burton films, but if anything it fits better than the comics. With the lack of them being 50+ years of ongoing stories, they don't have to be so careful about keeping iconic villains around. If the Joker survives long-term, it because he is good enough to survive the Bat. If anything, it makes him even scarier.

The comics might be better having Gordon, or someone else, to hold Bruce (as knowing his identity ensures accountability) to the standards of the law, and have Batman be just as bothered by the constant escapes as we are. He just knows Gordon (or whoever) will come down on both Bruce Wayne AND Batman if he doesn't play it by the book and stay in their good graces.

That said, as long past the story as we are, Batman himself knows he or the Joker are going to die eventually.

Comics have many problems, and this has always been one of them, including that death is and always has been a revolving door.
>>
>>85018123
/thread
>>
>>85022966
>and tries to get as many criminals into Arkham instead of a proper sentence as possible.
Bullshit! Batman takes the criminals in what happens to them after that is up to the courts batman has no say one way or the other.
>>
>>85023092
Japan hasn't made a good new character since 2009 and Europe has never made a good character.
>>
>punch a man so fucking hard his brain shuts down
>doesn't get back up for entirety of the fight or cops arrive
>dies later in the hospital from concussion related reasons.

I... don't think writers understand how the human body functions. Seriously.
>>
>>85025318
No but there was a Elseworlds where bruce became a cop and the only reason he became Batman was because he lost his badge.
>>
>>85024153
>That's a shitty version of Batman though.

I'm not talking about better or worse versions, I'm talking about the canoncial version of the character. What I'm saying is I see much more evidence for the cynical interpretation of the character.

>Why do people love crazy batman so much?

I wouldn't call hating death and crime because of what happened to your parents "crazy".

Also, I can't see Batman having hope in the Joker or half of his rogues honestly. For people like Red Hood and Clayface I can believe he has hope. Maybe Two-Face as well.
>>
>>85026801
>Gotham is NY
Except it's not since there have been a ton of stories that involve NYC.
>>
>>85017365
>>batman takes him in for execution
That's the problem, USA government in DC comics just doesn't seem to want to execute all those terrorists.

Switch "Batman" with "Policeman" and it's the same thing. The issue lies somewhere with the Prosecutor's Office.
>>
The first scenario gives more interesting stories.

/thread
>>
>>85030757
>Switch "Batman" with "Policeman" and it's the same thing.
I disagree if you send a cop after the joker and paint the joker in blackface he'll never make it to sentencing.
>>
File: BUENO.jpg (137KB, 641x534px) Image search: [Google]
BUENO.jpg
137KB, 641x534px
>>85017444
bueno....
>>
>>85019490
He didn't save the Joker when the court found him guilty and ordered execution in a Golden Age story.

It's as if the current district attorney is the true mastermind behind Gotham's criminal underworld and constantly shields the villains caught by Batman from judgment.
>>
>>85023092
>Japan
>Making good characters

HAAAA HAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
File: 1468728688429.png (71KB, 1152x841px) Image search: [Google]
1468728688429.png
71KB, 1152x841px
>>85017365
>Batman kills villain
>Batman kills another villain
>Batman kills another villain
>...
>Batman kills a potential criminal
>Batman kills man for honking near a hospital
>Batman kills the Justice League because they could turn

Don't make the crazy person break his one rule.
>>
File: 1455491906377.jpg (208KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
1455491906377.jpg
208KB, 1000x500px
>>85031678
I don't blame the Batman for not killing Joker.

I blame the people of Gotham for not doing anything and letting the Clown walk. Gotham deserves Joker.
>>
>>85017365

If Batman's shown dropping off, say, an alleged serial-killing clown, to Arkham, instead of restraining him and waiting for the cops where he caught him, then turning him over to to GPD, and fucking off to bang a lady who dresses like a cat on top of a building, that's awful writing.

The *cops* are responsible for turning him over to Arkham, if and when the justice system tells them to, and-

>>85017431

...oh...
>>
>>85025093

One of those DC/Marvel crossovers.
>>
>>85030667

Which one? That sounds interesting.
>>
>>85025275
This.
>>
>>85022966
See, now it sound like you're just making things up. I'm not gonna believe that one without a source.
>>
>>85030757

This, it's the only way I can do the mental gymnastics required to read Batman these days. Even in Marvel, the only 'credible' heroes are those that kill, Punisher, Wolverine, and those that don't have twisted rogue galleries like Jessica Jones and modern Luke Cage.
>>
>>85025571

I'm likin' that book.
>>
>>85032382
I think it was called thrill killer. or at least something along those lines i didn't really enjoy it personally but you might like it better.
>>
>>85031678

And that's what happens if you give a mouse a cookie!
>>
>>85032544

Thanks anon. Here's hoping. I usually like Elseworlds (including movies and animated adaptations) more than the main setting due tot he lack of the same rigid status quo. Shit can go down.

Just watched Gods and Monsters, and I really liked the take on Batman. Now, I'd never want them to replace Bruce with someone who wasn't Dick or Damien, but it was fun to see another champion of Gotham. I wonder where that Elsewords Wayne's are.
>>
But then they wouldn't be able to reuse that villain in the future when they run out of ideas for original stories.
>>
>>85030209
But the movies are part of the problem. They were the ones that started forcing the square peg in a circular hole, and BvsS took it to an extreme. BvsS especially showed why having these characters be dark and brooding psychopaths is a terrible idea, because they were never fit for it in the first place. It's just not who they are, and what it means to be an actual hero.
>>
>>85030209
I like the idea of Gordon keeping Batman on a leash, it'd add a cool dynamic.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.