[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just watched this, and I loved everything about it. The story,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 19

File: Batman-The_Killing_Joke_(film).jpg (45KB, 250x375px) Image search: [Google]
Batman-The_Killing_Joke_(film).jpg
45KB, 250x375px
I just watched this, and I loved everything about it. The story, the animation, the soundtrack, it was perfect.
>>
>>84903332
Go home, Azz, you're drunk.
>>
How is Mark Hamill? That's all I want to know.
>>
>>84903442
Fantastic. Go and see it, I promise you it will not disappoint you. Mark Hamill was fucking great.
>>
>>84903332
I saw it last night in the theaters. Was pretty damn good

The first 22 minutes are of course filler that could be clipped entirely and not hurt the rest of the film, but, at the very least it does make you feel a bit more sympathetic for Barbara, which means you feel a lot more for Batman's dilemna. It's also important for new watchers: if you're a person who saw the movie but didn't read a lot of Batgirl comics or knew much about the character, her crippling won't really hit you the same way as if you hadn't gotten to know her as a capable crime-fighter beforehand.

The Brucebara shipping definitely came out of left field, but, I felt there was a purpose to that too. The obsession Barbara develops is entirely normal and seeing Batman give into sexual desires does a good job of reminding you that, beneath the mask, the man's still human. I realize his 'abyss' he was talking about was the edge of taking a man's life, but I feel it's just as easy to say he's talking about losing your OWN life, your own humanity: Batman definitely struggles with being a person while trying to be an unstoppable force of justice, it highlighted his own internal struggles with his base needs as a person.

That and, of course, as you said the music and voice-acting absolutely nailed it. Azz did great on Wonder Woman and I thought his contributions here were good as well.
>>
>>84903332

>Shilling this hard.

You should have stopped before saying you loved the animation.
>>
>>84903442
Not at his best. His voice has gotten a little too raspy and it's like there was no direction at all.
>>
>>84904228
That's too bad.
>>
>>84903625
You didnt have to read batgirl comics. The act of hurt loved one is enough. There is enough of the medium too feel for babs. However the source material is about the JOKER, GORDON AND BATMAN. Babs was just plot fodder. Fuck you shill 4/10 adaptation
>>
Mega where?
>>
Overall I'd give it a 3/5, but as a must see if you want to hear Hamil's Joker's possible last big hurrah.
>>
The fan in me says 9/10 but the critic in me says 7/10 for Batgirl filler and forced, unnecessary, BruceXBarbara.

Also Batman literally kills two people in this movie. Wtf?!
>>
>>84904701
>Hamil's Joker's possible last big hurrah.

He's playing Joker in the new Justice League Action.
>>
>>84904806
I hadn't seen that confirmed, just Swamp Thing.
And he's probably going to show up in Flash again.

And he's going to live at least halfway through Episode VIII.
>>
>>84903442
I thought he did well but some anon's really hated it. It's more reserved than BTAS Joker.
>>
>>84904701
>Hamil's Joker's possible last big hurrah.
wew lad
>>
>>84903625
Honestly I thought the only reason why they placed Bruce and Barbara in that relationship was to give Batman a more "personal" stake in the whole fiasco, and justify Joker's actions towards Barbara because it would be the whole "hit him where it hurts deal" given that their relationship in the comics was more of just a "you're just my sidekick" thing.
>>
>>84903332
Animation left something to be desired in a lot of sequences, but the soundtrack and voices were definitely on point.

If nothing else, any and all criticism of Hamill in this movie is completely unfounded. Guy did a fantastic job as he always does, and I was genuinely surprised by how well the man sings, and while already doing a voice to boot.
>>
>>84904595
it's funny, yknow.. i grew up on babs. first from the 60s show, then a few years later (for me), BTAS came out and there was babs again.. and she was all I ever knew
then sometime after Batman Beyond came out, I heard she was crippled and made into oracle, and I was like 'fucking retcons. fucking modern comics. fuck them all'
and I heard it in a context that indicated "Batman Beyond was made just before this happened, so their future babs isn't crippled, but they said they would have if they had known" or something. to me at least that was how it sounded like it was being phrased

then many years later I found out TKJ came out long BEFORE BTAS, and babs had been not-active my entire life, in the comics.. so everything made since then had CHOSEN to ignore it. It baffled me utterly.
>>
>>84904806
I know
But how big of a role do you think it'll be
And what if it's shit
>>
>>84905233
Maybe they meant that Batman Beyond was made before the comics decided to incorporate TKJ as canon?
>>
>>84905322
is THAT how it went?
are you telling me that, from the years between when TKJ was made, and it being made canon, babs was still active as batgirl, in comics? because that would seriously make a lot of sense to what i'd heard up to that point

but it would make very little sense to everything i've heard sense, which involved it becoming canon sometime between when the story was started by moore and when it was finished
>>
>>84903332
You're a piece of shit for spreading this false information around. The story was bullshit considering what they pulled with Bat GIRL, fucking GIRL BATMAN, SHE'S SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE A DAUGHTER TO YOU, YOU FUCK. Seriously, why do people mess with the source material to spread their bullshit vision around? I didn't pay to see your stupid ass shit, I came to see The Killing Joke on the big screen. Just make the fucking pages move and talk. Why is that so hard for people? If I wanted to see your movie, I would have paid to see your original shit.
>>
>>84907469
>like a daughter to you
nno? she's his unwanted tagalong sidekick, who kinda teases him and dick at the same time, but keeps her distance and some of her secrets. who's not in the same league as batman, but at the same time constantly surprises him with the competence she pulls off WITHOUT ludicrous riches
>>
>>84905322
>>84905373
Not true at all, Oracle predates BTAS existing.
>>
>>84903332
no, you didn't
>>
Thoroughly disappointed actually. The comic made every moment feel powerful. The movie just left everything meek. :c

>>84904697
here
mega:///#!NVUnSRiB!F_rd1RZNgd_WFL0yIBK4fZltIoUsgXSnLMUc_Wv8s94
>>
>>84903332

The movie was great, it just needed more animation detail and polish. It was too hit or miss.
>>
>>84904977
He might die and they find him pinned under a running car or something, you never know.
>>
>>84907547
How long have they known each other? Long enough to know that she's Jim Gordon's daughter. Jim Gordon, the one person besides Alfred that Batman has come to love and respect if not as a surrogate father figure, than at the very least as another equal whose unwavering loyalty and friendship he has depended on time and again throughout the years. Point being, YOU DON'T FUCK YOUR BEST FRIEND'S DAUGHTER.
>>
>>84903332

Barbara is my favorite Batgirl. This movie showed her off in the beginning and was pretty neat even if it was filler BS.

I think her thing with Bruce was handled well despite how crappy the idea of it is. Like, if this was the VERY first time her character existed then it would've gone over fine. But given the history of the character and it just kinda felt odd.

I'm not even a shipperfag for Bats or Babs. I don't care if Bats is with Cats, Ivy, Harley, Talia... Whatever. Same goes with Babs and Dick and every other guy. But Bats and Babs felt weird unless you literally knew nothing about the character imo.

Of course this is all subjective but whatever. The film I would say was average, not great, not terrible. Just... "Meh."
>>
>>84903332
Am I the only one tired of Kevin Conroy? Dude hasn't bothered to try in years. It's extremely apparent when Mark Hamill acts circles around him.

Tara Strong was pretty average. Honestly her entire story arc was something out of a romance movie. She even had a gay bestie who served no other purpose than for exposition as to how she likes Batman.
>>
File: Killing Joke Grid.jpg (839KB, 3000x1687px) Image search: [Google]
Killing Joke Grid.jpg
839KB, 3000x1687px
dat cinematography
>>
>>84909254
Also, Timm's argument make NO SENSE. Sexual subtext can be found between Bats and his Robins but Bruce isn't fucking any of his own adopted children. Like, enough is fucking enough with that shit. Keep it your fics, Bruce Timm. Or marry a sexual fantasy like your friend Dini did and shut the fuck up.
>>
Saw it on Monday. First 20 minutes served no purpose other then to stretch it to the 70 minute mark. Animation was good at best and jerky at worst. Even though I love Bruce Timm I felt that his style lacked the atmosphere of the comics and it came off hollow. The best things were of course Hamil and Conroy. You could edit the graphic novel to the audio of the movie and it would've been better. Overall 4/10.
>>
>>84903332
8/8 clicked on the b8
>>
I think I've pinpointed my biggest problem with this movie, and at first i thought it was the coloring, but it's more than that...
>>
>>84909945
so much of what makes the comic versions iconic is the layouts, it's paced so perfectly with this sense of dread permeating.

the movie doesn't have that, it's flatly lit with boring uninventive compositions. look at this shot. it's fucking boring. the angle's flat, it's just a simple two - borderline over the shoulder - shot. it's like they're preparing to do this whole sequence like a standard TV show.
>>
>>84910050
Next they punch in with a close up, the facial animation is fine for the most part - it's definitely not a "problem". it's again, flat, but of all the shots in this scene i'd say this works the best because Hamill's selling it with his voice acting, he really intensifies at this mark. it's hard to convey in a still.
>>
>>84910094
next time we see the Joker it's back out to a simple medium shot, flat angle, even lighting. there's just no style here but meanwhile he's giving this dramatic as hell speech. where's the dutch angles, dramatic lighting? there's nothing visually aiding the dialogue.
>>
>>84910148
this setup is even closer than the last close up. again the facial animation's good but this whole sequence is pretty boring visually at this point. if there was more visual variety this close up would make a good exclamation mark to ratchet up the tension, it's just let down by the shots around it.
>>
>>84910216
over the shoulder, it's like this is a police procedural on CBS or the Flash and Arrow on CW
>>
and the last time we see the Joker is in a two shot casting them both in profile. about as standard as it gets. again, very evenly lit with nothing dynamic going on.
>>
I didn't even bother with Gordon shots because it's all flat medium shots and close ups.

where's the direction in this movie?
>>
>>84903442
He was fine, people just hate on it because he's getting older and his Joker voice, a voice he's said is fucking horrible to do for long periods of time, isn't at the same level as his original BTAS Joker's voice. But this isn't the BTAS Joker, but a Joker that is supposed to be more 'aggressive', and I think his aging voice fits really well.

I was somewhat upset that they gave the role of Gordon to Ray Wise, who I felt was really lacking. I know the BTAS Gordon is dead, but there were much better Gordons in the past that were very good and could have easily done a better job, like David Kaye, or even Brian Cranston could have done it better honestly.

The only other voice that really annoyed me was Bullocks', it just didn't fit. I'm just always hearing the BTAS Bullock when I think of the character, but while I was looking up who did Bullock in BTAS, I found out the voice actor is 73 years old.
>>
>>84909945
>>84910050
>>84910094
>>84910148
>>84910216
>>84910244
>>84910270
>>84910305

Fucking Nerd.

Just shut up & enjoy the movie.
>>
>>84910606
Fuck off faggot. Some people expect better, especially from people of this caliber.
>>
File: 56778912.jpg (151KB, 500x365px) Image search: [Google]
56778912.jpg
151KB, 500x365px
>>84910636

Once a Nerd, Always a Nerd.
>>
>>84910606
>things Brian Azzarello would say
>>
>>84910305
>where's the direction in this movie?

The direction was to make it as quickly and as cheaply as possible, which is almost a crime considering this was supposed to be a cinematic release(a small release but one just the same).

Imagine if they went full-on Mask of the Phantasm with this film; went all-out on it. Its' sad to think that a film like Phantasm, one with not nearly as legendary a story or history like TKJ, is better in almost every major aspect.

But then again, with MotP, DC and WB actually wanted to make a good film, not just cash in on the name brand.
>>
File: wthir2.jpg (289KB, 1150x820px) Image search: [Google]
wthir2.jpg
289KB, 1150x820px
>>84910606
>shut up and enjoy shit
>"but its' shit"
>WHAT ARE YOU GAY?!? FUCKING RETARD
>>
File: _1464072012_844.jpg (23KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
_1464072012_844.jpg
23KB, 600x337px
Haters gonna hate. But I fucking fangasmed hearing Tara Strong reprise her role as Batgirl. It felt so good to see classic Batgirl again. She looked great. People might bitch about the batsex, but that's 10x better than the tomboy abomination of SJW-tropes DC turned Batgirl into with their 2014 redesign.
>>
>>84910573
lies,
Problem is the movie had GOD AWFUL direction.
>>
>>84910216
the whole movie felt like it didnt know what artstyle it wanted to be.

Then again the colors where completely lame and boring.
>>
>>84911415
In an interview they said they wanted to mix btas artstyle with the artstyle of the original comic, to get a hybrid that isn't a pain to animate but still looks good.

In hindsight it was a good idea but awfully executed.
>>
>>84909528
>"cinematography
>literally just panels from the comic but done in an incredibly bland art style
Hell, I'm not even that much of a stickler for the original coloring. That shit simply doesn't even come close to Bolland's art.
>>
>>84910764
source of the image?
>>
>DCAU talent working on a Killing Joke movie
Don't you just love the monkey paw?
>>
>>84909945
>>84910050
Reminder that even South Park of all things did that shot better
>>
File: muh.png (853KB, 1909x992px) Image search: [Google]
muh.png
853KB, 1909x992px
T O P T I E R
O
P

T
I
E
R
>>
File: 1466828669931.jpg (64KB, 302x422px) Image search: [Google]
1466828669931.jpg
64KB, 302x422px
>>84909528
>dat cinematography
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. I'd wager real money that you never read the comic before watching the movie.
>>
Forgive me for being so new, but The Killing Joke IS a one-off, right? I know some elements of it were incorporated into the canon, but nothing is a true continuation of it, yes?
>>
>>84912980
Hold the fucking phone WHAT!?
>>
>>84913789
Go check out episode 201.
>>
>>84913903
Oh shot your right. Off topic question though, is there a copy of the two episodes uncensored
>>
>>84913999
I'd assume the dvds have them, but wikipedia does say 201 was leaked uncensored.
>>
File: Assman.gif (2MB, 628x337px) Image search: [Google]
Assman.gif
2MB, 628x337px
I have no problem with Batman fucking Barb. Like who hasn't he fucked at this point. Really as long as it's not Catwoman, he can fucking Alfred for all I care.
>>
>>84913498
this
>>
>>84909528

You cherry picked the best looking shots here. The majority of the film was flat and had poor lighting and atmosphere. It's biggest downfall...
>>
File: 2014788-rtoju_03.jpg (15KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
2014788-rtoju_03.jpg
15KB, 400x300px
>>84914433
Hard to believe this is the same crew that made RotJ
>>
>>84914817
no way.

Besides no Paul Dini and no proper music means its gonna be crap.
Artstyle of killing joke movie was shit as well.
>>
>>84904595
Oh hey, the point missed you entirely.

See, there's more to things happening in a film (or comic by the way) than the literal events. Barbara getting shot in the Killing Joke is a shock, a brutal surprise that needs to be a gut punch to the audience.

If the movie just starts and a redhead bitch we've not seen do anything gets shot there's no impact. Not in terms of impact on Gordon or on Batman, there's no impact on the audience.
>>
>>84915219
Not the case for me, seeing something animated rather than going from flat panel to panel made me feel so much sadder for Batgirl. Heartbreaking really considering she can't kick ass anymore.
>>
File: sptkj2.jpg (25KB, 512x400px) Image search: [Google]
sptkj2.jpg
25KB, 512x400px
>>84913903
>>
It takes a strong person to have this much denial.
>>
>>84903332
i just watched this
i thought it was incredibly boring
>>
>>84911005
>tara strong
she just sounded like timmy turner
>>
>>84913498
not that guy
but I don't see why reading the comic should matter
I saw the movie and i thought it was kind of terrible
>>
>>84918603
In that case it would matter because the cinematography >>84909528 was praising is mostly just stuff straight out of the comic.
>>
>>84918711
I'll agree with that
It's kinda sad to
again I didn't read the comics for this but even I can see when they blatantly just ripped off the art
>>
Didn't read the whole thread, but I think the Joker should have been introduced way earlier than he was, maybe as working with Paris or taking his place, because as far as story went he seemed to come out of nowhere and his idea to "make a point" too. It probably worked better in the comic, I haven't read it yet, but for a movie it made the whole thing a bit awkwardly paced.
As for Barbara, the development was welcome, though giving her a sassy gay friend was a bit cliché. But he wasn't too flamboyant.

The animation was good, but felt a bit stiff in some parts, and the visuals felt a bit too clean for what I've seen of the comic and it's art style, felt a bit cheap.

Still glad I saw it in the theatre though, if just to show support towards 2d animation in there.
>>
Does /co/ like anything or is it just /tv/ 2.0 with less s/pol/b8ing?
>>
>>84903332
I dont think the animation was as bad as some say but it saw sure as hell nothing special.

I did like the movie in general but op must be some sort of gigantic faggot to think it lacked flaws
>>
>>84918730
>blatantly just ripped off the art
It's not a ripoff when the adaptation is fucking adapting the source material, dipshit.

Learn something today.
>>
>>84918711
>>84918730

>why did the movie adapting this comic also take the style from it

100% retarded
>>
It was trash. I'm sorry. But with the way dc has been doing their movies lately is crap. Flash point, doom, war (sort of) and the one with zod and kirk. But really? All of them have been crap. So much hype. Then disappointed. Teen titans.. ass. Court of owls. Ass. Son of batman.. ass. There's no real story. Shit is just happening. Maybe this is what it feels like when people read the books first then watch the movies. :/
>>
Should have adapted Death in the Family instead. More material to work with and as big, if not bigger impact on the Batman characters as you're going to get.

Should have been a solid 1 hour episode. This animation though, so lifeless. At least try to mimic Bollands style and colors.
>>
>>84919110
>>84919137
not ripped off
but it does say something when the only good shots were straight from the comic
>>
>>84919110
the shots were adapting, but the actual art style is nowhere to be found in this piece of crap.
>>
>>84919253
Try speaking English first and then try posting

>>84919251
So which one is it?
>>
>>84903332
>I SWEAR TO GOD MAN
>SWERR TA MEEEEEE

Seriously?
>>
>>84912802
Panorama of Hell by Hideshi Hino.
>>
>>84903332
the nipples in the original-original version were great, because it made so clear the fact that that was the worst part of the attack, the nudity-artphoto session. when they got rid of that, people believed, some people...the joker raped barbara.
>>
>>84920355
the movie tries to sell the joker rape with the hookers scene.

Gee, I wonder what those hookers meant.
>>
File: NIESddX.jpg (356KB, 1414x2000px) Image search: [Google]
NIESddX.jpg
356KB, 1414x2000px
>>84911005

Tara's voice acting in this was actually pretty bad.
I think she's getting too old to play a 20-something Batgirl. She can do the high pitch baby and crazy voices like Harley Quinn, (even though she's just mimicking what Arleen Sorkin did a 100 times better) but for the regular voice of Barbara Gordon, you could clearly hear that she's a woman twice the age of Batgirl.

Also, the most direct inspiration for the 2014 redesign actually was the Bruce Timm design from The New Batman Adventures. From head to toe, Burnside was an adaptation of Timm's design, mixed with the colors of Yvonne Craig's and The Batman's Batgirl costume.
Barbara's height and physical appearance in the Burnside run was exactly like BTAS and Year One.
>>
>>84911005

Opposed to the constantly frustrated, miserable woman she is in this?

That's part of the problem of babs in a relationship with bruce, in the three times they've pushed it, they both turn into horrible, angry assholes until it's over.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.