[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, /co/. This is a weird topic of conversation I've had

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

File: MS Paint Dickery.jpg (232KB, 1213x981px) Image search: [Google]
MS Paint Dickery.jpg
232KB, 1213x981px
So, /co/. This is a weird topic of conversation I've had in the last few days.

Those DC ikemen statues by Ricken are pretty neat, and they're what sorta sparked them off.

But, I'm forever amazed at the fact that people think Nightwing is legitimately drawn like some anime bishonen guy in real comics for some reason. Like, you're lucky if he's even drawn with the right "Not quite as built as Bruce or Clark, but still very athletic" build. He's drawn just as Big McLargehuge as everybody else is a lot.

Now, I know the writing in various comics will oftentimes speak of him as if he's some sort of prettyboy, but it's really hard to sell me on that fact when the art's telling me that he doesn't look any different than anyone else.

Basically, I guess I just don't understand why Nightwing is the go-to rebuttal whenever I or anyone else says "Man, there's no pretty dudes in mainstream western comics".
>>
Well for one thing, that image on the left looks like it's from the 90's.
>>
>>84839516
Well, those statues make everyone into pretty anime characters.
Also this >>84839576
>>
File: 1452042085190.png (1MB, 626x619px) Image search: [Google]
1452042085190.png
1MB, 626x619px
It's Perez's fault
>>
>>84839668

No, I get the point of the statues is to make everyone look like a pretty animu guy.

But the idea that people seem to think Dick legitimately looks like that in any canon capacity confounds me.

I cherrypicked the second-shittiest example I could think of. I almost went with that picture of him with a chest so huge it'd make Cable seem inferior and more chest hair than a wookie.
>>
>>84839516
Marvel fag here. I have a theory.

Artists often just drew heroes in a heroic build with 40yo facial features because that's what they all were supposed to look. It's some sort of symbol drawing: you draw the characters reflecting the heroic ideal, not their actual, in writing, supposed looks.

Funny enough, classic and renaissance heroes were modeled after a just athletic 30yo or even 20yo male body, as far as I know. Only Gods had heroic build as in drawn in comics.

It's funny how Danny Rand (that's Iron Fist) never looked in his 20s, or Peter. I guess they at least looked rather slim. Hawkeye neither, nor Iron Man I think (I've not read old Iron Man stuff), and they both looked bult as hell for a lot of time.

But we, the readers, infer their actual body time and looks because narrative in the end. So it somehow worked until nowadays.
>>
>>84840290
Body type, I mean, body tyme.

Body time... Such a lewd concept.
>>
>>84840290

That's honestly a pretty good theory. It's just very disorienting to have that sort of disconnect between the art and the narrative. .
>>
File: this is dick grayson.jpg (72KB, 444x750px) Image search: [Google]
this is dick grayson.jpg
72KB, 444x750px
>>84839576
that's because it is from the 90s

he looked like pic related a little earlier but then they gave him the blue outfit and rat tail
>>
>>84840290
>>
>>84839516
You're looking pretty deep into a meme that's largely started by people that don't read comics. Tumblr had a huge war about Dick during the Grayson run that basically boiled down to people that were big fans of the character but took him way to seriously vs people that didn't know shit about the character but refused to learn about him because it might contradict their headcanons.
>>
Nightwing shouldn't be really buff, he needs to be slim and athletic, almost like a gymnast. I'm pretty sure Grant Morrison addresses this in his first issue of Batman and Robin, when the Commissioner notices that Batman is looking less bulky than usual.
>>
>>84841856
>he needs to be slim and athletic, almost like a gymnast.

Gymnast are fucking yolked man. If you've ever watched the Olympics, after the power lifters their usually like the second biggest people out there. Vaulting yourself around with just your arms is some difficult stuff anon.
>>
>>84841856
It's only the female gymnasts that are lithe like that. Being smaller is better for their types of stunts, but for the men it's basically all power shit.
>>
>>84841856
gymnasts are absolutely ripped, man and the women have man shoulders
>>
File: yji-hey.gif (442KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
yji-hey.gif
442KB, 500x281px
>>84839516
Thats why YJ Dick is best Dick.
>>
>>84839516
>Basically, I guess I just don't understand why Nightwing is the go-to rebuttal whenever I or anyone else says "Man, there's no pretty dudes in mainstream western comics".

It's no different from Wonder Woman being the most beautiful woman, yet she looks like every other character out there.
>>
>>84841856
Gymnasts and dancers are ripped as fuck though

Dick should have like a runner build
>>
He's been mostly drawn as thinner and more athletically muscled instead of roided muscled compared to everyone else in DC for the last 15 years or so.

Art varies from artist to artist but if you put an artists' Nightwing next to an artist's Batman then he'll 99/100 times be thinner and smaller.

You're using images from the 90's to make your point also which makes me think you're fucking with us.
>>
>>84841715
Yep.
Another case of symbolic, unintentional heroic archetype.
>>
>>84840290
>It's funny how Danny Rand (that's Iron Fist) never looked in his 20s
I though Rudy Nebres actually made him look like a young man. But yeah, I see your point.
>>
>>84839516
>pic
I don't see the problem.
>>
>>84842464
I read those Deadly Hands of Kung Fu (was in those, wasn't it?), I was a regular in the threads because the art was so beautiful to look at. I agree, but unless I just came across a non significant sample of issues, it was a rare case.
>>
>>84842339

He's pretty muscley in the Grayson series too.

Like I said, I cherry-picked a crappier example, but the art in Western comics is so wildly inconsistent that it's not even funny.

He's drawn smaller than Bats, sometimes. But he's definitely not the gorgeous prettyboy that people think it is.

Because, as I said, he's the rebuttal to "There's no pretty men in comics!" They always say "But muh Dick Grayson".

I'm definitely being partly jokey, since I've long-since accepted that I'm gonna have to stick to mangos if I want a comic with a cute guy in it, but I'm at least twenty percent serious.
>>
>>84843008
Well, I don't usually like men as drawn in shoujo, josei and other manga and anime with ikemen. The classic bishounen isn't pretty to me. Rather ugly, because their proportions are usually fucked up. I do like the art of some artists, tho. The character art in, let's see, I can remember Aquarion EVOL (pretty forgettable anime, btw, even if it was fun), did had some handsome dudes. But the same character desing was in that anime about those idols, and I didn't really liked them because their proportions were somehow distorted. I like Masakazu Katsura designs for dudes, too, or at least, I like everything about them but their lips: they're too feminine.

I think there's a matter in taste mixed in the deal, too. I've skim over some recent Grayson runs and he certainly is, usually, a pretty guy. And kinda slim, even if athletic like a gymnast. So for western comic books, I think it's not a bad candidate for pretty men. Just not with a girly face, and sure not with a girly body. It's... a different tase for a different artistic canon.
>>
>>84843008
I thought husbando Dick Grayson dealt more with his personality in that he was more reasonable and good natured than Bruce. He had a fun personality without devolving into being a manchild.
>>
>>84841856
because dick is shorter
>>
File: big dick.jpg (361KB, 814x1280px) Image search: [Google]
big dick.jpg
361KB, 814x1280px
>>84839516
Dick really isn't Big McLargehuge, but he's definitely no bishie either. Women love drawing male characters with a girly anime face for some reason.
>>
>>84844854
I doubt it's a women thing only. I even dare to say there are women who love to draw manly men.
>>
>>84844854
Thicc.
>>
>>84844979
No, it's definitely a women thing. That latter statement is definitely true, but there really aren't very many gay men who are into yaoi. You can usually tell when fanart is made by a guy; the characters tend to have a lot more masculine features.
>>
>>84845223
Basically Bara vs Yaoi
>>
>>84839516
More like DC Kikeman am I right?
>>
>>84841394
That "boy" is 10x more manly than me and I'm 29 years old
I'm just an aging child to be honest...I still have the body shape and mind of a 16 year old but I have wrinkles and balding to prove I'm 29
>>
>>84844854

Damn those arms are huge.

Dick's drawn the best when he's lean, shredded and sinewy, like a tumbling acrobat.

Also, his face is a bit too square-jawed here.
>>
>>84845223

Saying things like "gay men aren't into slim or unmasculine dudes" is a pretty untrue thing. I get that it's a thing about the west and that even gay men tend to be uncomfortable about guys with perceived feminine traits, but I know at least for me (As a gay man) that I just don't find the jacked, muscular build all that attractive.

>>84844477

I'm not really big on the uber-girly routine either. Saying something like "I don't like gruff men" seems to automatically be translated into "I only like sparkly, uber-femme fags" in some peoples' minds. Not that I don't find some femme guys attractive (Mykage in EVOL, for instance made my dick diamonds. But that was more due to how confident and bold he was, combined with Nakamura's sexy voice than his looks alone)

EVOL was trash compared to the first one though.

>>84844854

He looks pretty thick in that pic, yo.

>big arms
>huge bulge
>beefy arms
>no neck
>>
>>84839516
Because let's be real here, he's the one hero that /co/ would be cool with showing up as a pretty asian guy in live action
>>
>>84846226
I don't want an asian Dick, he would be too small.
>>
>>84846226
>>84846305
Asian Dick would look awful with all that pixellation covering him.
>>
File: tn_Male-Gymnast.jpg (47KB, 550x822px) Image search: [Google]
tn_Male-Gymnast.jpg
47KB, 550x822px
>>84841959
This. Male gymnasts are fucking brick shithouses. Depending on events, they might be unbalanced (like far less leg strength), but generally they're also pretty well rounded.
>>
>>84846495
>>
>>84841959
>the power lifters their usually like the second biggest people out there
powerlifting is only in the Special Olympics

And shot putters/hammer throwers are the biggest dudes out there.
Those two sports usually end up training the most strongmen and highland games athletes.
>>
>>84845925
Najamura's voice is sex. Overall, voice acting was a high selling point in EVOL. A pitty how awfull the writting was, even for Aquarion standards. I liked Mikage too, but in a non sensual way: his design was pretty stuff. I liked Amata, even if in the anime itself it was rather bland (the ED had nie artwork. Fug, Kaji has an annoying winny voice btw. I like him more when he deeps it or goes full comedy. Not my favourite seiyuu, but he really was overusing that annoying voice then). I was all the trip in team Zess. In fact, Amata design was the only guy one I really liked.

I am a grill, btw
>>
>>84846495
>>84846544
Unf
>>
>>84841959
>>84846495

Lol no, male gymnasts aren't very big at all, all the best ones are pretty lithe and shredded as opposed to huge. They're usually like 5'6 or something, and they want to be high on muscle percentage while moderating their overall muscle weight.
>>
>>84846772
I liked to watch gymnastics a lot when I was young. They're build, very muscular, but definitely not big. They're at the borders of my limit of liking.

I feel lewd now, I've realised I watched it not only because acrobatics, but also because anatomy.
>>
File: brbrbrbrbrbrbrb.gif (543KB, 245x185px) Image search: [Google]
brbrbrbrbrbrbrb.gif
543KB, 245x185px
>>84846495
>>84846544
new law where Dickie has to be drawn this way forever and ever
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.