[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So is the Image boom over? I don't see that many people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 197
Thread images: 9

File: 2000px-Image_Comics_logo.svg.png (122KB, 2000x4527px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Image_Comics_logo.svg.png
122KB, 2000x4527px
So is the Image boom over?

I don't see that many people talking about shit that's not BKV or Kirkman that much anymore
>>
>>84832181
thats cause the only good thing to ever come out of image was split off as an independent then sold to dc
>>
>>84832225
Fuck off Chew is a great fucking comic
>>
>>84832181
I like rich tommaso's new comics dark corridor and she wolf, I've been a big fan of joe casey's recent output from them amd Paul grist is supposed to be putting out more Kane comics soon but in general I don't care about publishers unless they have an IP directly tied to them
>>
>>84832181
There was never any boom to begin with. Just empty hype.
>>
>>84832267
Chew is just okay at this point. It should have stopped around 30 or so.
>>
>>84832181
As long as they have a steady flow of people tired of the big two they'll be ok
>>
>>84832181
This board is company wars central. Image is putting out some of my fav comics right now

>Monstress
First trade just came out and art alone is worth it. First issue was triple sized so this trade collects about 9 issues worth of content. The world is amazing and the art is to die for
>faster than light
Best sci fi coming out. Humanity just geys FTL and this is their only ship in space. Last few issues have been very Star Trek.
>autumnlands
Dark and brutal fantasy, done by busiek.
>>
>>84832181
East of West is good, but the rest is just pseudo-artsy garbage and LGBBQT bait.
>>
nobody talks about non cape shit on /co/ really
>>
>>84834546
>monstress vol 1 is 200+ pages for 10 dollars

nice nice
>>
>>84834546
>Image is putting out some of my fav comics right now
Same

She Wolf, Rumble, Pretty Deadly, Prophet Earth War, Island, Mirror, From Under Mountains.
>>
Image hasn't been relevant since the 90's. what the fuck are you ralking about?
>>
>>84834042
>I dont read comics
>>
>>84832181
I'd say so, their market share has been declining for a few months now.

Things might look up for July though because of Snotgirl.
>>
>>84834645
>pseudo-artsy garbage
Like what
>LGBBQT bait
What? The Wicked and the Divine? Thats one fucking comic. Does anyone one /co/ read comics anymore? Most Image stuff is is about violence and death.
>>
>>84836040
No /co/ does not read comics or they would know Image is about what authors want, not some mandate by a big corporation to make LGBT and minority characters
>>
Right now I'm reading mostly Image books, just because there's enough variety to keep me interested. I wouldn't say I'm an Image fan really, they're just a publisher.
>>
>>84838011
Yes but they are filling the space of vertigo. They have quality and i love the idea of gicing the team a break after the trade comes out. It gives good artists time to work ahead
>>
>>84839933
Yeah, I do kind of feel like the main reason Image has so many cool creative teams with them is because Vertigo's current set up isn't good. I mean, Image is reprinting Prince of Cats for fucks sakes, that's a pretty big coup from Vertigo
>>
People are still enjoying Image. With Image you don't have to deal with obnoxious "EVENTS", Tie-ins, or stupid reboots.
>>
Half of their comics are shitty fanfics of 100 Bullets and Ex Machina tbqh.
>>
>>84840089
There's no shared universe and important moments, no big sales.

If a book ends and you still want more...too bad it's ended.

Only hipsters and emotionally retarded fans read image.
>>
>AMC Pilot Pitches: The Company
>>
>>84832181
no.

it will certainly not end if people who read comic books continue to reach adulthood and stop wasting money on single issues of capeshit
>>
>>84840089
The problem with that is that almost every writer is a mediocre fuck that doesn't know how to continue or finish a book with a satisfactory ending.

The Image-style comic writing is 'create a promising first TPB, stop caring about the book and bank on the hype faggots'. Literally tv pilot-baiting.
>>
>>84832181
all the HYPE around books like Saga has died down, and right now it feels like Image is too flooded with cookie cutter tv pilots
>>
>>84840266
Do you feel the same about other mediums?
>>
I think there's still plenty to dig from them.

I also think part of the problem with them right now is announcing projects and having to wait longer than a year for the project to see any light.
>>
>>84840024
Vertigo didn't give a single fuck about Prince of Cats, they didn't even bother giving it a regular sized trade
>>
>>84840626
>has died down
Hype only lasts for the first, maybe second, trade. The industry is obsessed with #1's
>>
>>84840797
> they didn't even bother giving it a regular sized trade
Or keeping it in print.
>>
>>84840266
>There's no shared universe and important moments, no big sales.
Is that a bad thing?

>If a book ends and you still want more...too bad it's ended.
And that doesn't happen with the other companies?

>Only hipsters and emotionally retarded fans read image.
Well I'm not a hipster, but I might be emotionally retarded. Whatever that means.
>>
>>84840266
Spoken like someone who truly has never enjoyed a piece of art aside from corporate comic books?
Have you ever read a book or watched a movie? This is how storytelling is supposed to work, namefag. Stories are supposed to end.
>>
>>84834645
you really shouldn't be so hard on the qt lesbians, their barbecues are fantastic

and they're great places to pick up guys, which would suit you i think
>>
>>84834546
>>Monstress
This looks really promising, I'll check this out.
>>
They are Vertigo without the fun.
>>
IMHO:

Black Mask Studios is what modern Image should be like. Black Mask isn't perfect -- in large part because they can't attract top-tier talent -- but in terms of genres and style, it's a lot better than Image, even accounting for the fact that Black Mask comics are basically just minis.

The thing is, when people call Image series "TV pilots / movie pitches", it's tragically accurate because they remove a lot of things that would only be possible/allowed in a comic: crazily inventive surroundings and trippy atmospheres; unusual character types; even things as simple as good paneling.

Even though Black Mask has less-talented creators, you get the feeling that -- pound for pound -- these people are making their "dream comic". With Image, I only get the sense that one of these big-name creators was sitting around and said, "You know what, I have this idea that would TOTALLY get picked up by a studio!"
>>
>>84840089
It's kinda a selling point for me. There's not much comparison to make between the Big 2 and Image imo but I like that with the latter, I can just start a comic with the first trade. And I know that with that trade, and the ones following, I won't get railroaded into a shitty event or tie-in or whatever. It would be a sweet, streamlined ride towards the end of the story without anything in-between.
>>
>>84840545
>Mediocre
Kirkman, Millar, Hickman, Vaughn, Brubaker, Fraction, Straczynski, Aaron, Busiek. Yeah, none of those guys ever made anything good.....
>>
>>84840545
>doesn't know how to end a story

and yet capeshit stories never end. perhaps that's your problem with it? that is ends at all?
>>
>>84841459
m8, pretty much every example you've listed, except maybe Brubacker and Busiek, are mediocre at this point in time.
>>
>>84841465
Except they do. They're called "arcs".
>>
>>84841326
It's cheap enough to check it out. Adult female fantasy but not commenting on /pol/ just females are there cause its fantasy. And face it females are prettier and funner to draw
>>
>>84841526
Brubaker is a one trick pony

Dude has little range
>>
File: 1468893970834.png (890KB, 1128x572px) Image search: [Google]
1468893970834.png
890KB, 1128x572px
I just want Bedlam back.
>>
>>84841459
Half of them are mediocre and half of them are selling only because of their prior fame, which doesn't mean that they are still good.
Also
>kirkman
Off yourself, my man.

>>84841465
I didn't say that.
Remember the golden age Vertigo? Almost every book ended on a satisfactory point because the writers knew from the beginning how to end it, while the current Image mates just want to keep banking on retarded hipsters and stretching the books as long as possible, like that Saga faggot.
>>
>>84841526
Yeah, no. Some are arguable but Vaughn's Saga is great and Kirkman's Invincible is still very good month in and out. Better than any Marvel book at this time outside of the Star Wars line.
>>
>>84841780
>Saga
>great
Saga hasn't been good since the first couple of issues. The hype went straight to BKV's head and he's coasted on it since
>>
>>84841526
Remender and Hickman went there at the height of their careers
>>
>>84841881
Go back to reading Gwenpool.
>>
>>84841526
>Aaron is mediocre at this point in time
What a Marvelfag thing to say
>>
>>84841780
>Vaughn's Saga is great

how could anyone come to this conclusion?

At this point, I would say it's "readable" at best now. It is not even remotely a great series now.
>>
>>84841720
Where are the non-mediocre writers then?
Marvel has gone to hell. DC is alright but by no means leaps and bounds ahead. Valiant is decent.
>>
File: The-Fix_01_02-copy-600x916.jpg (182KB, 600x916px) Image search: [Google]
The-Fix_01_02-copy-600x916.jpg
182KB, 600x916px
>>84840316
>The Fix, coming to AMC this summer

I feel like you would need someone really creative to capture that type of humor on film.
>>
>>84841953
>Saga isn't good
>REEEEEEEEEEE YOU LIKE THE BIG 2 REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>84842030
DC is the best publisher these days and is doing better than it's been in at least half a decade
>>
>>84842077
I have no problem with the Big 2. I read a decent amount of Marvel and DC titles I just think you're writing something off to be contrarian.
>>
>>84842057

I like Spencer but this really feels like a screenplay he wrote in the 90's and dusted off to make a quick buck. It's one of those "wacky" Tarantino knockoffs from the indie movie boom with some extra comedy bits glued to it.
>>
>>84842086
>DC is the best publisher these days
It really isn't, not when Aftershock, Valiant, and Black Mask are still around. Fuck, even Action Lab and MonkeyBrain too some times

>and is doing better than it's been in at least half a decade
Well I'll give you that much
>>
>>84842086
While I've really liked Rebirth so far that's a huge jump to make as most titles are just getting started.
>>
As others have said, Image has a lot of its own problems and they've just become more and more apparent recently as it's churned out a lot of duds. I don't bother with most series from Image till they're done anymore, I'm so sick of reading a promising first trade and then dozens of issues of filler until cancelation time finally makes the author get off their ass and write the conclusion the book was meant to have. Most Image series should just be a 300 page OGN rather than an ongoing. Some books don't even get that much, they're garbage plotwise from the start and just coast on their art.

Now that's not to say there aren't good Image books. There are usually 2-5 great books coming out at any given time from them, just like Marvel and DC usually have roughly that number as well. If you're trying to show off how cool and hip you are for not reading the Big Two, I'd suggest First Second or Fantagraphics or Dark Horse just as much if not more than Image. Or even Archie is slowly catching up.

If you're talking in terms of sales and general hype, then to me it comes down to the fact that they were just a flash in the pan like the Wii. People saw Saga and The Walking Dead and went nuts for it at first, but now that they've had their taste, they're over it. I'm not a marketing genius so I don't know what they should do to revitalize interest, but it's pretty clear that coasting on what they have isn't working.
>>
>>84842024
It's true that it peaked at trade two but you have to be an idiot to think it isn't better than 90% of marvel
>>
>>84842319
Valiant is solid now too. Nothing deep but a lot of fun titles.
>>
>>84842388
I don't think anon was arguing it was. I don't think anyone would argue that at this point.
>>
>>84842202
Uh...valiant is the only one doing well.
>>
you know the guys who still do comics for comics i.e. Remender, Hickman, Kot, Zub are putting out great work over at image. I'm sure I'm missing other examples. but the rest of those guys are tv pitch buttholes
>>
>>84842319
If you are so pissed at cancellations then just trade wait. Their business is partly built for it. They make creators to an arc then put out a trade and tell them to take a couple months off. This is a geeat strategy cause it gives authors time to get new ideas and artits time to create a backlog
>>
>>84842404
Go stuff a ballot box, bae.
>>
>>84842869
wut
>>
>>84841197
Dude I don't care desu. I rather have new creative teams than the same team making zombie Charlie Browns.

Video games and most soaps go on forever and there's comic strips too.
>>
>>84841149
Yeah it is. It's not how the industry standard has been. At least for shared universes.

I have no problem with events, sometimes they make a book better.

Can't get into image of all publishers, you have better chance of telling to check out IDw or darkhorse.
>>
>>84843178
What in the hell are you talking about?
>>
>>84843246
Real life, maybe you got some kinda mental illness or something my chinaman.
>>
>>84842319
Image's biggest problem, and biggest asset is their complete freedom. It allows books to be books, creators to be creators, but man does it fuck them over. Books shouldn't be launching with only one or two issues ready to go. The Goddamned is great, but four issues have released in a year. Dying and the Dead, even knowing that Bodeheim is disgusting slow, even knowing what happened to Secret, still got released and delayed like it did.

Sex Criminals is down to an issue every five or six months. It most likely will not return this year.

Southern Bastards just secured Aaron an Eisner, and yet it will most likely not return this year. It launched two months after Remender's Black Science and Deadly Class. BS has 23 issues, DC has 21, and Southern Bastards has 13. Yet it's a "monthly" comic.

WicDiv, Saga, Walking Dead, we can cry and bemoan and point our fingers at whatever culprit we want, but I think the success of these books is also largely due to the fact that they release on time. I don't think Saga has ever been delayed. It releases six issues, then takes off three months. It does this every arc.

The lack of editors, deadlines, event driven, headline grabbing writing has to be attractive. Do what you want how you want. But writers need structure. They need a second voice. It isn't just comics. GRRM, Rothfuss, Togashi, all show what happens when writers are allowed their freedom.

Image is supposedly rectifying this. And it seems they're diversifying their genres too.
>>
>>84840266
>>84843178
I'm getting the distinct impression that you are not in fact, an owl. An owl would have much more difficulty typing and probably wouldn't read comics.
>>
>>84843178
Are you drunk or high. Or are you just posting on the wrong threàd?
>>
>>84843056
Go stuff a ballot box. Do it for democracy. Do it for freedom. Do it for Valiant.
>>
>>84843280
You're not adressing what that anon even said though, you just rambled about how you prefer one type of long running style over another and then mentioned soap operas and video games.
>>
>>84843344
>much more difficulty typing
kek
>>
>>84843245
>ITT tripfag is wrong
Never fails
>>
>>84843301
I see what you mean and I think you have a point. There is a role for (good) editors to play for sure. Most people have forgotten that since Marvel's seemingly only exist to ruin books by forcing synergy or tie-ins or some other godawful thing and DC's are hit or miss.
>>
>>84843414
I totally would too. I'm really liking their line right now.
>>
>>84843344
Owls read comics man. Just like anons do irl, you don't ever see Owls or anons on shops buying books? I do. I've never send this fictional creature called Humans buy comics in my life.
>>
Manifest Destiny is pretty great.
>>
>>84843301
So just trade wait. Most image is better that way anyway
>>
>>84843450
Ur wrong bubba.
>>
File: shocked-batman.jpg (23KB, 400x428px) Image search: [Google]
shocked-batman.jpg
23KB, 400x428px
>>84843473
>mfw I'm the only human who reads comics and it's been Owls in disguise selling them to me for 15 years.
>>
>>84843533
Reading in trades doesn't make bad books suddenly become good.
>>
>>84843415
I dust did. He addressed nothing runs that long but I just did.

Images problem is late books, shit art, lack of appealing to what the majority wants.

And they still don't dominate the sales charts by total, even with all that creative hyperbole.
>>
Image will publish fucking anything if you pony up your part of the printing cost and because of this they get people who basically want a cheap tv pilot but you also get shit like She Wolf and Head Lopper which are clearly done by people who just want to make comics and they're the easiest publisher to go through today
>>
>>84843301

Togashi has health problems though.
>>
>>84843640

This is a meme, Image is not that easy to get into otherwise half of /co/ would have comic.
>>
>>84843620
>late books
Ot happening anymore cause they makes sure they can do a trade
>shit art
Well you haven't read any image
>>
>>84834079
agreed
>>
File: 1468954198016.jpg (24KB, 480x590px) Image search: [Google]
1468954198016.jpg
24KB, 480x590px
>>84841434
>black mask
>get young terrorists #1 last year
>#2 in sight almost a year later
>>
File: like an orange.gif (1MB, 392x294px) Image search: [Google]
like an orange.gif
1MB, 392x294px
>>84843993
>Image
>get Nonplayer #1 in 2011
>get #2 last year
>>
>>84843946
Art is shit. Enjoy your tumblr art for beginners comics.
>>
>>84841526
When you're as smart and of such refined taste as I am everything is mediocre.
>>
>>84844187
Well the vast majority of comics are pretty mediocre since the target demographic is indeed manchildren with unrefined taste who buy things based on brand names rather than perceived quality
>>
>>84843910
It is easy to get into, the real barrier is money. How many /co/ users do you think have a few thousand dollars lying around to pay an artist just to make their pitch let alone whatever other costs you have to fork over to Image?
>>
>>84832181
I thought the Image boom was over in like 1998.
>>
>>84842086
Dc. Masters of playing it safe with the same small group of popular and boring fucking characters.

Rebirth should be called recycle And young animals is shaping up to be a bunch of wannabe vertigo titles under a hip new label for the cool kids.
The only thing dc has over the shit festival that is modern marvel is that they aren't going hard with the sjw bullshit. Though marvel as crappy as it mostly is at least has the balls to take some risks on it's titles.

No wonder the fans don't get along dc are run by pussies and marvel by a bunch of fags.
>>
>>84841704
It'll never happen anon I know it hurts just floor to let it go I guess
>>
>>84844471
I stopped reading when you insinuated Young Animal is going to be anything but good. How is it possible to have taste this bad?
>>
>>84844760
Consider how big a pole smoking dcuck you must be that you are singing the praises of young animal before any of it's comics even drop. Dont be a fuckin tool. Its vertigo Jr with an emo rock star front man who wrote the mediocre umbrella academy.
I love doom patrol and shit but I'm sorry I don't see how it's not gonna be more tepid boring junk like most of rebirth has been....just with a hip indie spin you're expected to eat up.
>>
>>84843810
He deserves it for killing best ant, the monstrous bastard
>>
>>84835013
>Rumble
My nigga. The only two trades I physically own. I love that series.
>>
Anyone read Spawn?
>>
>>84832181

Remember when Kirkman said Image was going to overtake DC's market share?
>>
>>84832181

Have to be honest I only trade wait Image books because you never know when somethings going to just end abruptly or take a 3 month break
>>
>>84840266
>If a book ends and you still want more...too bad it's ended.

That's a good thing
>>
>>84841434

I'd say Aftershock is what modern Image should be. It's just niche as fuck but it does attract decent creators. The upcoming Animosity book looks awesome and I'm sad not many people will read it
>>
>>84842388
>It's true that it peaked at trade two
I recently got the first and felt pretty ambivalent towards it. Would you say it's worth getting the second anyway?
>>
>>84845538
I read Savage Dragon which is similar in its level of schlocky shittiness.
>>
>>84841434
I think Island is the perfect example of what Image can be, but the exMarvel writers are the ones drawing in attention and money
>>
>>84843993
>Black Mask Comics is Image Comics: Punk and Edgy Teens/Young Adults (most of the time) Edtion

>>84845835
>all those very recent shipping issues
>most breaks there are like modern Image
>>
>go to comic store today
>check out the shit on their new releases wall
>there's a title that doesn't look like has had a single sale, the wall is filled with copies of it
>pick it up
>Snotgirl
>it's cute, buy it cuz why not
>it's essentially a seinen manga without the shitty art style

I like it, I just hope my LCS's sales don't reflect its overall sales
>>
>>84848347
>a seinen manga without the shitty art style
Did you just say that every seinen manga has shitty art?
>>
>>84848366
I meant the stereotypical style, you know the one. That really creepy one used in titles where the girl has literally every Adonis trying to fuck her.
>>
>>84848407
>That really creepy one used in titles where the girl has literally every Adonis trying to fuck her.
That doesn't sound like seinen. Are you sure you didn't mean josei?
>>
>>84834546
>Monstress
>First trade just came out and art alone is worth it.

Too bad the art's the only thing that's good about it.
>>
>>84848428
Yeah, I realized my mistake as soon as I submitted the second post. Woops.
>>
>>84848464
In that case yes, I do know what you're talking about.
>>
>>84848448
>get hyped for the book when it's announced
>wait for months
>get dealt a steaming piece of shit when it finally comes out
Goddammit Liu you were one of the good ones
>>
>>84841953
Gwenpool is fun
>>
>>84848484
nice post number
>>
>>84848484
nice numbers
>>
>>84832181
That's because Marvel co-opt everything that made Image unique , like they always do and gave it a rotten coat of Marvel paint to attract casual readers.
>>
>>84841526

Brubaker's at Image is entirely hit and miss. Fadeout was good but kind eh ending. Fatale was nothing but a meandering mess where it always seemed to go somewhere but never really did anything particularly interesting. Velvet's a passable spy story, but now that the first arc ended it in retrospect was just flash, no substance.

Why can't he just fucking do more Criminal already? I guess it's cool he's involved with HBO's Westworld but I want quality comics damn it, Ed.
>>
>>84832267
I agree, but the comic goes into DUDE POYO LMAO a little too much
>>
>>84848620
And the result was a trilogy of one-shots focused on that fucking chicken.
>>
>>84848575
how so
>>
>>84843566
>this guy doesn't realize he's an owl

What a fucking idiot!
>>
File: OWLL exterminators.png (321KB, 710x402px) Image search: [Google]
OWLL exterminators.png
321KB, 710x402px
>>84848653
I'm getting sick of owls.
>>
>>84843301
Dying and the dead made me stop get image in floppies
>>
>>84850562
>a comic that's on hiatus midway through its first arc stopping you from getting Image floppies
>>
>>84840089
No creator books have any events, anon.
>>
>>84845555
And it never did.
>>
>>84854967
It happened one month in the 90s.
>>
>>84853566
>what is Image United
>>
Image is for hipster faggots, there's no reason to read any image comic.
>>
>>84846755
>I think Island is the perfect example of what Image can be
Furry yaoi?
>>
>>84848347
>>it's essentially a seinen manga
That's a josei manga, you ignorant!
>>
>>84856759
What do you currently read anon?
>>
>>84832181
Their output is in this weird limbo where it's not Big 2, but it has no real subversive quality.
If someone wants mainstream Big 2-style adventure comics outside of the Big 2 they can read Valiant or IDW.
If they want artier, more subversive stuff, they can read Koyama, Humanoids, or Fantagraphics.
Image is just stuck between them, not really appealing fully to anyone. Even if you like both unusual arty comics and standard genre fare (I do), Image's output is too bland in its lack of commitment to either style to have any real draw.

They may not have been "good" in the 90s, but at least they had a target audience.
>>
>>84856901
Image feels like a TV network for young adults. They have good variety of genres and styles but at the end it is fully commercial. It's no wonder Hollywood picks their stuff.
>>
>>84843301
>The lack of editors

I wish Image creators would get over their aversion to editors and work with a few sometime. Everyone seems to think all editors work the same as they do at the Big Two.
>>
>>84857027
I could see Image being The CW while the Big 2 are major networks. There's a wider variety of content, but within that variety is so much populist commonality that it all just blends together.
>>
>>84856890
What do you think? Marvel and DC.
>>
sometimes they really need someone to breathe down their neck, I get that a monthly shedule is hard but most of the comics go on infinite hiatus or there's like 4 issues a year why even do floppies then just release a GN
>>
>>84857412
The lack of editorial pressure is a huge part of Image's problem. Guys like McFarlane and Larson might not have been producing high art, but they were producing.
A lot of the people working through Image seem to have this entitled artist attitude like they think their whims and need for "inspiration" matter to an audience that will (rightfully) lose interest in a series that puts out 2-3 issues then goes on hiatus for 6 months.
Artists (and I use that word in the broadest sense) tend to be kind of terrible in terms of managing practical affairs, which is why editors are necessary.
>>
>>84856901
>Image's output is too bland in its lack of commitment to either style to have any real draw.
Maybe they appeal to people who don't want big two stuff or lo-fi comix?
>>
>>84840626
>flooded with cookie cutter tv pilots
people keep saying this about image but half their books could never be adapted to /tv/ things like Saga and Autumnlands are made partly to NOT be able to be made into /tv/ adaptions cause there is no fucking way to do it.

And it's not like Marvel and DC don't do the same shit. Joe Quasada has admitted they are an IP farm now for live action adaptions, it's why they are putting out gwenpool and going to put out a bunch of nobody character books like slapstick
>>
>>84857746
Saga is so adaptable to TV budgets to the point it's kinda insulting.
>>
>>84857399
I don't read marvel because I'm not a retard, I read DC and Valiant because comics are supposed to be about superheroes and shared universes.
>>
>>84857746
Saga could very easily be done on TV. There's nothing essential in it that would cost more to put on screen than your average episode of Doctor Who.
>>
>>84846043
depends on what you like. If you were starting to like the characters then yes, if you don't care about the character then no
>>
>>84857881
>I don't read marvel because I'm not a retard, I read DC-
Point invalidated
>>
Image is like the Marvel of non-cape comics.

Can we admit that IDW is the best publisher now? No capes, no hipsters, is better than Valiant and big two.
>>
>>84848484
I love it, it's the only good high fantasy book coming out now
>>
>>84858462
>No capes, no hipsters
and no comics, just licensed merchandise.
>>
>>84858462
dark horse is doing great right now
>>
>>84858462
Nope. Literally nothing but children's toys. It's pathetic.
>>
>>84857853
>>84858102
you are fucking retards if you think there is a tv budget for this kind of weird stuff, there is one human character the rest are fucked up.

And sextillion, you think that will make it to tv?
>>
>>84858716
>there is one human character the rest are fucked up.
Rubber forehead aliens? Cheap makeup would be enough.
>And sextillion, you think that will make it to tv?
It can be easily censored. They don't need to show titties, but the subject is not so out there.
>>
Is this the same publisher of gay furry porn?
>>
File: saga-11.jpg (334KB, 488x750px) Image search: [Google]
saga-11.jpg
334KB, 488x750px
>>84858776
>rubber forehead aliens
have you read it?
>>
>>84858462
>IDW
>a company that mostly does somewhat decent licenses

I'll give them their fucking gorgeous Artist's Editions but they aren't THAT good
>>
File: image.jpg (66KB, 492x495px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 492x495px
>>84832181
>They're not like us
>Sex Criminals
>Saga
>Walking Dead
>Manifest Destiny
>Prophet
>Rumble
>Tokyo Ghost
>Black Science
>Invincible
>Descender
>Nameless
>East of West
>Jupiter's Legacy
>Lazarus
>Chew
>Manhatten Projects
>The Autumnlands
>Rasputin
>Deadly Class
>Nowhere men
>Nailbiter
>Bedlam
>>
>>84843993
That shit angers me #1 was promising too
>>
there's gonna be a Kill 6 Billion Demons trade published by them
>>
>>84858908
>have you read it?
Yes
That can be done with puppets.
It's like you haven't watched TV since the 60s or something.
>>
>>84860744
I bet you think farscape would be produced by any tv ststuon now.
>>
They have too many boring shit comics and too much science fiction
>>
>>84860605
Who cares? You can read that shit for free
>>
>>84858962
>After 3 issues the writers stop giving a shit and coast
>>
>>84861203
>too much science fiction
Not enough high fantasy to balance it but not too much sci fi. Just not enough hard sci fi
>>
>>84861203
>Boring shit
>Sci-fi
Other than capes, what other genres are there?
>>
>>84858962
>>Bedlam
That comic's been abandoned for almost 3 years, you fuck.
>>
>>84861260
>Crime
>War
>Romance
>Comedy
>>
>>84861918
sci-fi and fantasy work really well in comic form cause you can do shit that you can't do in live action. though, I feel sci-fi works better in novels cause you can drill really deep into the technology
>>
marvel and dc are the mcdonalds and burger king of the comic world. same popular regurgitated shit.

show me their equivalent to stray bullets and i'll eat 2 hats.
>>
>>84841434
>Black Mask Studios is what modern Image should be like. Black Mask isn't perfect -- in large part because they can't attract top-tier talent -- but in terms of genres and style, it's a lot better than Image, even accounting for the fact that Black Mask comics are basically just minis.

I kind of feel more like Action Lab and Aftershock are the true Image 2.0, but you're not wrong and you're entitled to your own opinion. I often have problems caring about a story that's only four issues long, so unfortunately Black Mask doesn't interest me much
>>
Level with me here, /co/: is The Walking Dead as great as people say it is?
>>
>>84857590

A few Image comics actually have editors, Bitch Planet,Black Magick and few others have them.
>>
>>84864454
It's enjoyable.
>>
>>84841598
....honestly not sure if you have read an ongoing comic book before anon...
saying "arcs" mark the end of *the* story is like saying a party ends every time a song ends
>>
>>84861242

This doesn't apply to most of the titles listed, most of them come out regular-ish and when they go on break they will tell you like Rumble,They're not like us,etc.

Does /co/ even read comics?
>>
>>84841881
>>84840626
Top Selling Graphic Novels and TPB 2015 for all Publishers (source: Diamond Comic Distributors):
#1: Saga v4
#2: Saga v1
#3: Saga v5

Yeah Saga must be terrible, seeing as its popular and junk
>>
>>84864170
>Miracleman
>Astro City
>>
>>84844760
>>84845152
>"How is it possible to have taste this bad?"
Well the anon hasn't broken the time space continuum and somehow read it already, so obviously his volatile and completely uninformed opinion matters.
>"This is created for a demographic other than my own? MUST BE CRAP THEN LOL"
>>
Miracle Man is ancient British, that
Marvel bought decades after the fact.
>>
>>84864454
if you like a never ending zombie movie. I stopped after the prison storyline.
>>
>>84858462
>IDW
>better than Valiant
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>84865129
>it sold well
>that must mean it's good
>>
>>84865129
That means nothing
Thread posts: 197
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.