[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /co. So I've been reading the new 52 but I really want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

Hi /co. So I've been reading the new 52 but I really want to go back and read all the original golden age DC comics from the 40's onwards. Does anyone know if there is some sort of "Pay monthy" subscription service that allows me to read unlimited vintage DC comics? Many thanks chaps.

TLDR: Where can I read old comics?
>>
That doesn't exist mainly because DC makes a lot of money off reprinting old collections.

Best bet is to torrent certain character chronologies. You could track down some omnibuses/archives/showcase collections but it would cost too much and some are out of print.
>>
Any idea where to start looking? I don't mind paying for comics I'm just not too sure what I should be looking for
>>
>>84829370

Comixology has a pretty broad selection of comics, but they don't have a lot of Golden Age stuff as far as I know. Your best bet is checking out what DC Showcase print volumes are available.
>>
>>84829655
I have marathoned things from the start before and unless you have a specific interest in a character or franchise already it's hard to just start up.

What exactly has made you want to attempt reading like this rather than some other method?
>>
>I really want to go back and read all the original golden age DC comics from the 40's onwards.

do you really?
>>
I just really want to read batman and his surrounding universe from the beginning. What's the best way for me to do it? I looked on comixology but there aren't really any big collections of classic comics
>>
>>84829810

Hey some of them are completely worth it. I know for a fact that Golden Age Captain Marvel has aged pretty damn well and is still entertaining too.

Old Spectre comics too, if you can find them.
>>
Should I just start post-crisis then?
>>
>>84829918
>>84829852
You should care more about reading good comics than comics from a particular era of a particular publisher, friendorino
>>
>>84829992
So should I just look for collections of comics or something?
>>
>>84829852
You will probably need to look for a torrent titled "Batman Chronology" or something similar and since it will be a lot of material it might be split up by era. I have only tried it with characters who only one ongoing at a time. I'm not sure how they will do it when Batman has multiple team books and shit.

>>84829992
There's literally nothing wrong with reading to get historic context. It can be interesting to see how things were introduced and evolved over time. I actually recommend it once you get past the general classic "good" stories.
>>
>>84830069
Well, what kinds of stories do you like? What themes and moods or settings do you dig in your fiction? There's something for everyone
>>
>>84830156
It was kind of like what the anon above you said, I'd like to get to know the character from the beginning and all the landmark comics and stories along the time line.
>>
>>84830251
I would say to try reading the "bigger" arcs first before you tackle a full start-to-finish reading.

This formatting isn't great but here's some general recs: http://corecommendedcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Batman
>>
>>84830332
Thank you blessed anon, this is exactly the advice I needed. Kudos friend
>>
readcomiconline.to
where i read golden age
>>
File: Plastic Man_POL_11.jpg (478KB, 750x1071px) Image search: [Google]
Plastic Man_POL_11.jpg
478KB, 750x1071px
You can find the Golden Age Plastic Man comics online since they are public domain
>>
>>84829370
Nah.

All the best Golden Age DC books are public domain though. Use comicbookplus.com and search for Captain Marvel Adventures and Plastic Man. Shit holds up to this day. Jack Cole is criminally underrated.

>>84829810
Golden Age Doctor Fate is fantastic in it's early years before retarded editors demand the removal of all occult elements.
>>
>>84829370
It's not possible as others have pointed out. Also DC has a HUGE back catalogue. Literally thousands upon thousands of TITLES, each with anywhere from a one shot run to 3, 4, 6, 8, all the way up to the hundreds and then multiple volumes.

There are places to find complete volumes (meaning like all the Barry Allen Silver Age Flash, for example, about 200-250 issues) on line but it's really going to be hit or miss to find all of them in ONE spot.

Your best bet is to find some of the archives on comixology and start with those.

Here's a couple of samplers to get you started.
World's Best Comics - Golden Age Archive Sampler.cbz
http://www36.zippyshare.com/v/evPfS9yM/file.html

World's Best Comics - Silver Age Archive Sampler (Pyrate-DCP).cbr
http://www36.zippyshare.com/v/4SaNx8cR/file.html
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.