[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://fantagraphics.com/flog/love- rockets-magazine-returns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: L&R revival.jpg (144KB, 931x960px) Image search: [Google]
L&R revival.jpg
144KB, 931x960px
http://fantagraphics.com/flog/love-rockets-magazine-returns/

Love and Rockets is coming back as a monthly release. 5 bucks a pop. Kind of interesting since Fantagraphics has been done with monthly releases for such a long time but if any comic of theirs was worth the monthly release again it's definitely this one.
>>
>>84821538
>monthly release

wrong

>... the new series (Vol. IV, for those keeping track) will launch on the eve of the title’s 35th anniversary in September 2016 and continue every four months thereafter.
>>
Fuck I know what I'm buying

I never read much of love and rockets but I'm a die hard Gilbert fan so I'll definitely use this as a have to get into Jamie
>>
>>84821636
Oh woops. I got a bit too excited it seems. Good call out.
>>
>>84821690
A lot of people actually thought it was going to be monthly when these news came out at first. I think they actually said monthly first but that was a typo/error in communications.
>>
>>84821656
If you want to get into Jaime you should buy his L&R Library books (pic related). But Maggie the Mechanic which is the first one is very very bad filled with geek culture oriented shit and not social realism which he is known for with his Locas stories. He finds his style in the second book The Girl From Hoppers so I would suggest that one to be the best entry point to Jaime.
>>
File: bookcover_lrlloc.jpg (71KB, 450x542px) Image search: [Google]
bookcover_lrlloc.jpg
71KB, 450x542px
>>84821813
forgot pic
>>
>>84821813
> Telling someone to skip any of L&R
Disgusting
>>
>>84821875
I did not say skip. I was giving a warning. Many people give up on Jaime after reading Maggie the Mechanic and missing out on all the good stuff that comes in The Girl From Hoppers and the following volumes. But Jaime's early stuff is objectively bad. He even makes fun of it in a metaphysical strip in a later volume.
>>
>>84821975
It's not objectively bad at all, his storytelling and composition in thsoe early issues are still fantastic and very impressive for such a young cartoonist, the only "problem" is that he ends up being way too wordy.
>>
>>84821538
>Kind of interesting since Fantagraphics has been done with monthly releases for such a long time
Hip Hop Family Tree has had monthly issues for a while now.
>>
>>84821975
>objectively
Like, it's definitely his weaker stuff but I wouldn't call it bad. there's some fun stuff in those early comics.

In fact I think the only real slog in Maggie the Mechanic is the early Mechanics stuff with the wrecked ship and dinosaur because of how dense it is as a story compared to Jamie's other works and it being the longest story in the book that comes relatively early. 100 Rooms is good, Las Mujeres Perdidas is good. The last couple of stories in Maggie the Mechanic thematically fit what Jamie settles into later as well.

I think subjective is the word you're looking for. Even if Jamie says his stuff is shit, other people like it and therefor make it subjective.
>>
>>84821813
I jst started with this and am currently halfway through Maggie and honestly I do not like it so far. You would recommend to power through or just skip to volume 2?
I began to believe that this one of those "it was so groundbreaking that you cannot make out why it was special today anymore) kind of things.
>>
>>84822178
That's over. Piskor only did the content of the first three volumes as singles. The last issue came with a flexi disc
>>
>>84822159
> the only "problem" is that he ends up being way too wordy.

So you don't see a problem with the sci-fi stuff, which seems to be futuristic happening in real time? It takes place in our world and our time (well, the 80's). I find it very akward and you can tell that Jaime regret doing all that stuff the longer you read because it is weird when the comic transitions over to social realisms that people forget about dinosaurs, robots and spaceships etc. His art has always been good though, even if it's not my cup of tea. I personally prefer Gilbert's art.
>>
>>84822254
>You would recommend to power through or just skip to volume 2?

Power through cause it's still has some things they will refer to in The Girl From Hoppers.

>>84822213
>100 Rooms is good, Las Mujeres Perdidas is good. The last couple of stories in Maggie the Mechanic thematically fit what Jamie settles into later as well.

Ok, I can agree on that but 1000 rooms has some weird shit in it that I don't like though. Basically anything that has to do with Penny and HR Costigan is akward to me. It belongs in Jaime's early comics.
>>
>>84822254
It gets better in the second volume. Early Love and Rockets was more of a scifi based comic and it later became this sort of telenovela like series that just followed certain characters through out it's run. Girl from HOPPERS completely ditches the scifi stuff and settles down in a much more realistic setting.

Beto had something similar with Luba being in BEM but Heartbreak Soup completely disregards the BEM shit and just opens up with Palomar.
>>
>>84822295
>So you don't see a problem with the sci-fi stuff, which seems to be futuristic happening in real time?
None, besides that stuff never really happened in Hoppers Maggie always had to travel for it. I actually prefer the sci-fi mechanic stuff to anytime it turns into a wrestling story arc
>>
>>84822377
To each their own. I actually really liked both Penny and Costigan in that early stuff.
>>
>>84822159
When you're adding qualifications like "for a young cartoonist" that's all I need to know it's shit. Like whem someone says Eragon is good "considering how young Paolini was when he wrote it," that's a weak way of covering up the fact that book is garbage.
>>
>>84822377
>>84822382
All right thanks you two for the advice.
I liked the SciFi stuff desu but it won't break it for me.
>>
>>84822478
what exactly about the series aren't you digging right now?
>>
>>84822399
>besides that stuff never really happened in Hoppers

I know, but still. These spaceships and robots would still exist anywhere in America though? They just never mention it again as the comic progresses into social realism about punk rock and riot grrrls. Yeah, all the wrestling stuff can be pretty boring too, especially for a non-american like me who has no clue about wrestling.
>>
>>84822459
I mean it's like he was already drawing like a vet
>>
File: defoe.jpg (28KB, 416x388px) Image search: [Google]
defoe.jpg
28KB, 416x388px
>>84821538
>mfw two Mexican males know how to write and draw women much better than all those tumblrinas
>>
>>84822609
>They just never mention it again as the comic progresses
Penny Century brings up the superhero stuff again at some point and Love and Rockets: New Stories started off with a superhero story
>>
>>84822609
They bring it up again when Maggie starts looking for mechanic jobs, she talks about how she worked on the ship in Mechanics. They even bring up Rand Race when he gets married.

Jaime never really abandons the weird shit that takes place in early L&R, it's just not the focus unless Penny is the focus. Penny is Jamie's excuse to draw tits and ass and weird shit when he feels like it but he acknowledges that she isn't the reason people read it so he just gives her chunks when he needs to vent those urges. Even then he sometimes doesn't even need Penny. Izzy herself is a fucking magnet for spooky scifi shit that doesn't really need to relate to realism.

As for the wrestling, I can understand that but I'm not even a wrestling fan that stuff is some of my favorites because the wrestling bits are nice action stories. The way Jamie draws the progression of the matches is really nice.
>>
>>84822676
/pol/ fuck off
>>
>>84824156
Back to your safe space, landwhale.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.