[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did video games manage to get out of the "for children"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: twdep3screen2.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
twdep3screen2.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
How did video games manage to get out of the "for children" stigma to the point where they can have overly cartoon graphics and no one questions its maturity? Could Hollywood animation ever reach this level? Will animation ever reach a point where it's not just a throwaway category at award shows where people abstain from voting?
>>
>>84639691
Judging from the comments of the ESPN coverage of EVO, I'd say you're overestimating the acceptance of games from the larger public.
>>
>>84639691
>How did video games manage to get out of the "for children" stigma

Because they never had it.

You're obviously too young to remember the 70s and 80s, kid.
>>
I don't see how. The way video games got out of it was by doing it before there was a huge video game studio system that would just shoot down any idea that wasn't already proven.

If anyone tries to pitch a serious animated movie for adults the execs are just going to make it live action. Even if it's based off an already successful animated franchise.
>>
>>84639719
>Judging from the comments of the ESPN coverage of EVO, I'd say you're overestimating the acceptance of games from the larger public.

Explain, please. I watched on Twitch and don't have a twatter.
>>
>>84639890
Folks got mad when SF5's Top 8 was on ESPN2. They complained about how it didn't deserve to be on then and all that.

The usual
>>
By spending a shit ton of money on them.
>>
>>84639947
I mean, it's hardly a sport.
>>
>>84639691
They never really had it.

>>84639986
well yeah, but the way people acted, you'd think they committed some sort of grand sin by showing it.
>>
>>84639986
Sure, but most comments were on the line of "These nerds didn't get beat up enough at school", "Send in a bunch of jocks to make this entertaining", "Manchildren playing videogames" ect, ect.
>>
>>84639841
>Implying Nintendo didn't almost coin the "games are for families!" mantra
>Implying Doom didn't have a huge impact on the way we see games
>Implying Mortal Kombat wasn't met with huge backlash because it featured mature content and parents didn't want kids playing it
>Same thing with GTA
>Same thing with even Death Race

Sony is probably one of the biggest contributors to making games mature. Once SEGA died and they took up the mantel of being Nintendo's rival, rather than just doing what they were doing they actually sought to target the players the N64 wasn't satisfying.
>>
>>84639691
The "children" grew up
>>
>>84640092
How is that much different than the 90's fan kids who are artists in the industry now?
>>
>>84639691
>How did video games manage to get out of the "for children" stigma
They ever did?

>to the point where they can have overly cartoon graphics and no one questions its maturity?
This happens? Then why do people still give Nintendo shit for making cartoony games?

>Could Hollywood animation ever reach this level?
But Disney and Dreamworks are both already way more respected than most cartoony video games.

>Will animation ever reach a point where it's not just a throwaway category at award shows where people abstain from voting?
That's a pretty good question though.
>>
>>84640536
>Dreamworks
>Respected
>Still coasting on "FROM THE MAKERS OF SHREK"

Dreamworks is dead, anon. They're reverting back to their Shark Tale days now.
>>
>>84640577
>Dreamworks is dead, anon. They're reverting back to their Shark Tale days now.
But people loved the Kung-fu Panda movies and people seem to get really hyped about Dreamworks releases. Thing about video games is, outside of the really big releases like CoD, Battlefield, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and so on, they don't seem to have much mainstream appeal still.

I don't know if it's just me or what, but I've legit met plenty of people who hadn't heard of lots of more successful games made in the past few years, like Uncharted or The Last of Us.

I think Frozen alone was probably bigger than pretty much any game that came out within that same time.
>>
>>84640334
There isn't
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.