[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the peak of 3D animation has been reached, will big-budget

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

File: fox.webm (3MB, 797x788px) Image search: [Google]
fox.webm
3MB, 797x788px
Now that the peak of 3D animation has been reached, will big-budget 2D animation ever make a return?

Yes, I think its possible.
>>
Maybe it could happen if they give an Oscar to the next Ghibli if it's like Kaguya and not like this Marnie shit.

But as long as Hollywood keep giving the awards to every Disney wet fart it will never make a comeback.

Zootopia was good, great even. But when you look at past few years of Disney/Pixar and remember how they got burnt with PatF you can safely assume we'll get a shitton of sequels of Frozen and old Pixar franchises and nothing really innovative for at least 5-6 years.

Also, the peak of 3d animation was almost reached in 2011 with Rango, Zootopia raised the bar, but not much
>>
>>84633836
I wonder why their budgets for 2D have inflated so much over the decades. Wasn't Pinocchio made for 2 million back in the day? With all the recent developments in digital animation tools that increase productivity you would think it would not cost so much to make 90 minutes worth of drawings.
>>
Honestly, after seeing the Hotel Transylvania movies, I'm fine if hand-drawn theatrical animation stays dead. We can already replicate everything good about it in CG.

My real issue is that because CG-animated movies are, by their very nature, expensive, we're not as likely to see cheap, experimental projects. Remember Brave Little Toaster? How about Lilo & Stitch? Those were both cheap by Disney standards.
>>
>>84633895
yeah, i don't get why we get lazier and lazier with animation, when the tools nowdays make the job easier and easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oktGlZQgYWs i mean, look at this, all that preparation just for a tail. today you can check the animation and fix it at anytime, no need to think ahead so much
>>
File: 1465319847256.png (858KB, 734x804px) Image search: [Google]
1465319847256.png
858KB, 734x804px
Hard to say, but my bet is 2D will be for the bargain bins. 3D is where it's at and people have been moving forward to that format it droves for years. Not even a debate anymore.
>>
File: 8Ea8ZW5.jpg (144KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
8Ea8ZW5.jpg
144KB, 720x480px
>>84633576
3D animation sucks
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF9uz3EGSok

They can do what they did to Paperman somewhere in the 2020s
>>
>>84637286
It depends on how you are comparing them. You can say 3D is technically better but they are very different in visual style. Why can't they co-exist?
>>
>>84638454
This almost looks *too* smooth, like it was made in flash or something. It's the next best thing if we can't get classic drawings on the big screen though
>>
Laika is apparently looking at doing 2D films.

The Boxtrolls credits says to me they'd do a different enough art style to be fresh and not just ape Disney.
>>
>>84633576
I doubt it. The 2D animation industry has already been gutted and audiences showed that they prefer 3D movies. It's also a lot easier to secure staff for 3D animation since the skill sets are so ubiquitous.

>>84634666
Current technology cannot duplicate hand-drawn animation, although for American animation the gap maybe isn't as big since even before 3D the ideal was the kind of very fluid animation that 3D is good at.
>>
>>84633576
>Now that the peak of 3D animation has been reached
Nigga, you full a shit.
>>
>>84639426
>Current technology cannot duplicate hand-drawn animation
Bullshit
>>
>>84640028
Well, maybe it technically can. Maybe you can, with a combination of painstaking 3D modelling and effects and shader work, perfectly imitate it. But it would take so much effort and is so counter-intuitive to the nature of 3D animation that there's no point.
>>
>>84633836
>the peak of 3d animation was almost reached in 2011
No. The peak was reached in 2008.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BCr7y4SLhck
>>
>>84633576
something similar to live2d needs to happen
>>
File: electric knee.gif (1MB, 300x167px) Image search: [Google]
electric knee.gif
1MB, 300x167px
>>84633576
I hope so. I wish we could have another 90s tier anime boom so we could see the West's answer to Mob Psycho or One Punch Man. As it stands, the most impressive 2d shit this decade has been coming from Japan and the last two years in particular have been full of some really stand out moments. I wish I had the full webm of this fight.
>>
File: Miyazaki 2.jpg (82KB, 489x557px) Image search: [Google]
Miyazaki 2.jpg
82KB, 489x557px
>>84633895
Spirited Away was made for the equivalent of $19 million. IDK about Ghibli but most anime studios pay their artists minimum wage.
>>
>>84642180
It wouldn't be much of an answer since the animation work would all be done in Korea.

>>84642258
I happened to be reading a book today that said Ghibli paid a little over twice as much to its junior animators than the industry average.
>>
>>84633836
>remember how they got burnt with PatF
To be fair, they shouldn't have tried to bring back 2D and have a black female protagonist at the same time. They were reaching way too far with that one.
>>
>>84642356
I guess my point is that, good animation isn't a big selling point in American television. It's often praised but not often expected. That's why shows like Archer and South Park can get away with looking like garbage by simply being funny enough to compensate. And I love those shows but I'd really love to see what a big budget 2d western animation would look like.
>>
>>84642466
I think by then the Disney formula was just really passé and people were looking for something else.
>>
>>84642466
I still don't believe that PatF didn't do well because it was 2d
>>
File: 1446166982599.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1446166982599.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>84642506
South Park is a well animated show pretending to be a poorly animated show.
>>
>>84642756
Okay, I haven't seen that episode but holy shit that looks hilarious
>>
>>84634666
It's unlikely we will see anything cheap in theatres for a long time. And 3D will grow cheaper with every technological advance.

I'm not sure if quality 2D is any cheaper.
>>
>>84642849
Steamboy cost $25 million (adjusted for inflation) and it's two hours long. Even if you quadrupled the budget and gave all the animators big pay raises, it would still be $50 million cheaper than Frozen (100 minutes).
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.