[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your /co/ related pet peeves? mine is when villains

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: 1466754008125.jpg (41KB, 360x720px) Image search: [Google]
1466754008125.jpg
41KB, 360x720px
What are your /co/ related pet peeves?

mine is when villains or heroes use euphemisms like, "destroy," "eliminate," "take-down," "take-out," etc.; when they almost always mean kill, assassinate, execute, or murder. It is immersion breaking for me.
>>
Censorship in general annoys me
>>
>>84583464
Good thing it doesn't ever happen.
>>
Destroying is actually a more extreme action than killing.
>>
>>84583603
Your kidding right
>>
>>84583445
yeah man, if you can't mention death; maybe don't write a script requiring you directly discuss death
>>
>>84583445
The fuck? Someone actually explaining why they don't like a thing? ... Well alright then.

>>84583617
The problem is that they never mean it in that way. Like "I'm going to destroy you, dismantle every aspect of your life. I'm going to burn down your house, torture and kill your loved ones, and prove your philosophy wrong in every way.". They always mean it in the context of just killing the person.
>>
File: oil03.jpg~original.jpg (60KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
oil03.jpg~original.jpg
60KB, 400x300px
>>84583445
Using those euphemisms is because the shows are meant for children. It's the same as Samurai Jack's enemies spilling oil instead of blood, or foot-soldiers exploding in the ninja turtles SNES game. Maybe start consuming material aimed at adults if it's a big problem for you.
>>
when someone says "pure energy"
>>
>>84583603
The fuck kind of fantasy world are you living in
>>
>"Ha! You can't kill me. You're too good for that."
Motherfucker, you don't think a good guy will wreck your SHIT? This isn't a DnD match. They actually can (and probably will) kill you if it means protecting whatever/whoever the good guy's protecting.

Alternatively:
>"Ha! You can't kill me. You'd just be sinking to my level. You'd be just as bad as me..."
Once again, this is not a motherfucking game. There are countless instances where someone has killed, or otherwise fucked up someone's day, in order to protect themselves or others. In a vast majority of these instances, the person left standing did NOT turn into a stone-cold killer/terrorist/psycho madman.

Look, argue the semantics of the morality of killing all you want. But the fact is that oftentimes nothing more than some mental trauma happens afterwards. I'm tired of killing being treated as some sort of moral event horizon that no person can ever come back from without being THOROUGHLY AND DECIDEDLY EVIL NO QUESTION.
>>
File: 1466807832239.jpg (328KB, 1380x903px)
1466807832239.jpg
328KB, 1380x903px
>>84583445
>What are your /co/ related pet peeves?
when art isn't realistic enough
>>
>>84583445
I actually don't mind it too much.
I mean there are times where it does feel awkward and it can depend on the villain, but people do use euphemism's in real life, especially to talk about unpleasant things.

Basically if it's a villain that likes to present themselves as polite, a gentlemen, friendly etc. it can work. It it's a villain whose very straight to the point it's better to go with kill, execute, assassinate etc.
>>
One could argue that saying "destroy/eliminate/terminate" could be even more brutal because there's a certain dehumanizing aspect to it
>>
>>84587886
Worked well enough for the Joker.
>>
I hate it when so called comic fans say shit like "why doesn't batman kill the joker. It makes no sense. I'm tired if joker stories"

Because its ignoring the obvious reason most villains dont die...so they can be used in future stories.

And the selfish bullshit of going "oh why don't they just kill him off. He's been used as much as he can"

Yeah fuck everyone in the future growing up who might encounter a joker story for the first time. No since you (having read comics for years) are tired of something, it should just be killed off. Because clearly these comics are meant only to pander to you.

"Man I'm tired of how peter parker is never happy. Why can't he be married with kids and progress beyond any relateability to young readers just getting into spider-man?"

And they don't bat an eyelash. No sign if realizing how silly their pov is. They honestly think comics should grow and change according to where they are in life because somehow it would be natural progression. And its just this big coincidence it coincided with them growing older.
>>
>>84589580
if a villain is trying to come off as nice, they can't say stuff like destroy. They'd have to say something more low key like "take care of it"
>>84590790
I guess, but that's rare since it's often too personal to be dehumanizing,
>>84591053
while I don't mind the Joker living and Parker staying young, it could be that those people are just tired of a status quo that's existed for decades and newer fans can read older material
>>
>>84583445
One of the few things Back In Action did well.
>Destroy them! And when I say, destroy, I mean kill! Painfully and messily!
>>
>>84593096
>newer fans can read older material
Correct.
>>
>>84586230
What if they specify the energy? Like Pure Nuclear Energy?
How does that make you feel?
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 888x788px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 888x788px
>>84583445

I remember Legend of Korra using, "take out" a lot. It never bothered me when the good guys said it because Korra et. al. didn't actually want to kill any of the bad guys (and avoided it if possible). It bugged me a lot though when the bad guys adopted that kind of speech.

Just re-watched to confirm. Ming-Hua says that Zaheer, "just took-down the Earth Queen" immediately after a very dramatic and surprisingly graphic scene where Zaheer suffocates the Queen to death (on camera) with air bending. "Zaheer just killed the Earth Queen" would have sounded a lot better than "took-down". Then Zhaeer announces on the radio that, "the Queen was brought down at the hands of revolutionaries..." With someone else, you might think he's trying to downplay the violence of his actions, but he's an anarchist intentionally agitating people, so I don't think that could be his motivation.
>>
>>84593762
>Korra et. al. didn't actually want to kill any of the bad guys
Su Yin killed Pi Li very intentionally by encasing her head in metal casing her to blow up her own face.
>>
>>84591053
>They honestly think comics should grow and change according to where they are in life because somehow it would be natural progression.

But that's how it should be.
Peter should've stayed married, have children, 1 or 2 develop abilities and take up his mask and continues his work. He mentors MayDay and other kids who want to take up the cause. Put them in a Young Avengers or Avengers Academy book and have them train for the big leagues.

Let the younger generation naturally take up the mantle instead of making OCs that die when their issues start tanking and you bring back the original.
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 512x288px
>>84587886
>Arguing with an imaginary villain
>>
>>84591053
>Comics should keep retreading the same plot over and over again instead of moving forward
You are THE cancer on comics.
>>
>>84593905
She also wanted to assassinate her adopted daughter in her sleep during a ceasefire, and we were expected to root for her.
>>
>>84583445
When a superpower has a misleading name.
For example, "technology manipulation" that only applies to electronics, a single subset of technology.
>>
File: image.jpg (118KB, 550x451px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118KB, 550x451px
>Characters point out tropes
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.