[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>western cartoon tries its damndest to be a Japanese anime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 14

File: dh-sketch-toph.jpg (72KB, 960x678px) Image search: [Google]
dh-sketch-toph.jpg
72KB, 960x678px
>western cartoon tries its damndest to be a Japanese anime
>Japanese manga studio that does rather western looking art does the comic for the cartoon
>everything turns out great
Western anime/manga and Japanese cartoons/comics are the future.
>>
>>84509121
The future of what
>>
>>84509121

You sound immensely, deeply culturally retarded.
>>
>>84509156
>culturally retarded
Explain this one to me.
>>
File: 1468438281951.jpg (174KB, 802x1180px) Image search: [Google]
1468438281951.jpg
174KB, 802x1180px
Don't forget everyone's favorite comic book character.
>>
>>84509232
Ehhh... NO.
>>
File: tumblr_nglvgzlqVB1s8616lo1_500.jpg (88KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nglvgzlqVB1s8616lo1_500.jpg
88KB, 500x750px
>>
File: Oban_promo_poster.jpg (136KB, 435x618px) Image search: [Google]
Oban_promo_poster.jpg
136KB, 435x618px
>>84509174
He is free of cultural bias. He sees the world as it really is. He is truly free.
>>
>>84509154
Autism
>>
>>84509522
Autism, animation, the two are inextricable at this point.
>>
>>84509232
Austistic tastes anon
>>
Gurihiru a best
>>
>>84509121
Did you watch TLOK? Or Sozin's Comet? Or Thundercats 2011?
>>
>>84509121
the comics are actually pretty shitty
>>
>>84509121
>>everything turns out great

Because Mike and Bryan were surrounded by capable people who shot down all of their shitty ideas.

LOK is what happened when basically all the writers left and Mike and Bryan were retarded enough to think they could make a great series all by themselves.
>>
>>84509121
>Western anime/manga

That's just a contradiction

>Japanese cartoons/comics

Literally the definition of anime/manga
>>
>>84512893
>Or Thundercats 2011
Japanese co-production, animated in Japan.
>>
>>84509121
Stop being pedantic you fucking weeb
>>
>>84512970
No, LoK is what happens when Bryke think that what a minority of the fans claimed made TLA good are what actually made TLA good, and not what actually made the show good, which was hard work, consistency, and attention to detail.
>>
>>84512893
>Sozin's Comet
The finale of ATLA was superb though.
>>
File: Yotsuba Rage.png (19KB, 133x140px)
Yotsuba Rage.png
19KB, 133x140px
>We'll never get a proper Toph story
>All we'll ever get is Yang and Bryke's garbage
>>
>>84513022
>pedantic
idtimwytim
>>
File: 1463450202885.png (449KB, 912x405px) Image search: [Google]
1463450202885.png
449KB, 912x405px
>>
Honestly TLA took more cues from American popular culture in the 70s-80s then it did from anime. Stuff like Star Wars and John Hughes movies had a bigger influence on the plot than FMA and FLCL. The largest Asian imo was in terms of philosophy and worldbuilding, and that's stuff they drew from actual Asian history, not just chinese cartoons.

Anime had a bigger influence on Korra, specifically seasons 2 and 4. Even the art and animation was more Japanese in Korra.
>>
>>84513091
I can't believe the comics made her so cute but made her character so shallow.
>>
>>84513125
Smoke & Shadow was a narrative mess but you can tell Gurihiru had a ball drawing Azula.
>>
>>84513099
>TLA t-totally had nothing to do with anime, you guyz
>but that awful awful terrible TLOK was completely Japanese
I think you are full of shit.
>>
>>84513166
Yeah, he's really good, especially at the female designs. His Ty Lee and young Ursa are adorable.
>>
>>84513181
Did I ever say Korra was awful? It's just clearly more inspired by anime, in terms of art and narrative, than the original show, whose anime influence is vastly overstated (usually by fans of anime who hate Western animation and want to justify liking this one show, or want to use it as an example of cartoons being shit).
>>
>>84513198
>he
It's two women
>>
File: 1468432485196.jpg (43KB, 354x363px) Image search: [Google]
1468432485196.jpg
43KB, 354x363px
>>84513198
>he
>>
>>84513246
>Did I ever say Korra was awful?
It goes without saying on /co/.

But yeah, pretty sure you are full of it.
>>
>>84513198
Post Gurihiru's Ty Lee. Post it until you can't post it no more.
>>
>>84513036
>There are people on /co/ who sincerely believe this
>>
>>84513411
Yep, pretty much all of them. The spirit bending resolution was rather deus ex machina but beyond that it was perfect.
>>
>>84509121
Why would I want inferior foreign knock-offs of anime when I can watch the real thing?
>>
>>84513476
Because anime sucks.
>>
>>84513491
It doesn't, and if you think it does then why do you want Westerners to copy it?
>>
File: 1459494394581.jpg (46KB, 479x608px) Image search: [Google]
1459494394581.jpg
46KB, 479x608px
>>84513538
Because cartoons suck too.

Take the best of both worlds and you get something actually good.
>>
Has Gurihiru ever done actual honest to god manga or have they always worked with Western IP?
>>
>>84513580
And what is it that anime should be taking from cartoons?
>>
>>84513634
>And what is it that anime [or manga] should be taking from cartoons?
See Gurihiru.
>>
>>84513734
What about it?
>>
>>84513099
Actually BRYKE had all the staff watch FLCL and there is a fuckload of Ghibli/Miyazaki influence ATLA
>>
>>84513939
They are good.
>>
>>84513946
FLCL and Miyazaki aren't anime. They're pure kino.
>>
>>84513949
What about it?

If you have some kind of point to make then maybe you should make it already.
>>
>>84513436
The spirit bending and the rock were both gigantic asspulls, and the entire resolution revolved around those asspulls. It's absolutely trash.

The only decent part of the finale was the conclusion to Zuko's arc.
>>
>Implying Avatar would be remarkable at all if it were released as an anime
It's not even the best American cartoon that was airing at the time. The west is just starved for serious, serialized animation and will eat up whatever shit they get.
>>
>>84513436
It wasn't very good because Aang's victory was purely coincidental and had nothing to do with his actions or character. The show as a whole is still great.
>>
>>84514099
What was better?
>>
Since i spend time on both /a/ and /co/ i wonder how autistic a third board about general animation would be
>>
>>84509121
But ATLA is boring, hyper-generic shit. Things only turned out great if you liked Naruto but thought it wasn't bland enough.
>>
>>84514353
>What was better?

Skyland. Same time as Last Airbender. Same network. Better show. But it didn't have the "it's anime NO REALLY" gimmick going for it so it flopped.
>>
>>84509510
>they don't have noses so it's anime
>>
>>84514528
>Nicktoons
>flopped
Is this a surprise?
>>
>>84514506
Honestly, Naruto is a good comparison quality-wise.
>>
>>84514030
Giruhiru is Japanese but handles a lot of western IP because of their distinctly western-ish style.
>>
>>84514955
I'm still waiting for you to get to the point.
>>
>>84515023
That was the point, nigga. Western influence on Japanese studios and Japanese influence on Western studios. Did you not have your morning coffee?
>>
>>84515145
>Western influence on Japanese studios and Japanese influence on Western studios.
And?
>>
File: 1460866381936.jpg (125KB, 363x463px)
1460866381936.jpg
125KB, 363x463px
>>84512893
fuck off
>>
>>84515320
If you think any of those were good, you may as well be watching garbage like Fairy Tail or Bleach.
>>
>>84513946
I know. But I believe that the actual influence of FLCL (and some of the other shows they stated to influence the series, like FMA), are kind of overstated. Also those are pretty western influenced anime so it's kind of circular

There's definitely Ghibli influence, but only really from Spirited Away, and that's just for the design and idea of the spirits and the spirit world. And that part where the Painted Lady thanks Katara was obviously ripped right from the movie. If they really wanted to take cues from miyazaki they wouldn't have forced the romance between katara and aang. Also Ghibli is so acclaimed because it doesn't fall

I'm not denying there's no anime influence, however I believe that there's a lot of general Asian influence in the show and anime falls as apart of that, more so than the sole overwhelming influence. Korra, on the other hand, is structured more similarly to anime, makes bending feel a bit more shonen-y than like martial arts, and has more anime references, what with the mechs and giant spirit fights. So I would say it comes through a bit more in that.

Mainly I just feel like a lot of the people who claim ATLA is a super anime-influenced thing or even go so far as to call it anime just do so because it has an overarching plot and magic powers and obviously there are no episodic anime or non-episodic Western cartoons.
>>
>>84515573
>Ghibli is particularly western influenced
I've never heard anyone say that before.
>>
>>84515573
Why do people keep saying an anime is "Western influenced" just because it has a Western setting or something? Panty & Stocking is something you could call Western influenced.
>>
>>84515642
I was saying FLCL and FMA were, not Ghibli. Most all anime is influenced by the West though, specifically by Disney, so even Ghibli definitely has Western influence.

>>84515643
A Western setting would count as Western influence, I mean it determines what race the characters are, what they wear, the way their society is, etc. I said FMA had a western influence not just because of that but also because it had lots of Western philosophy and naturally a pretty Western story as a result. FLCL was less Western narratively and more so in terms of style. Not to the degree of Panty & stocking obviously but in that vein. It's the same studio after all.
>>
>>84515877
>A Western setting would count as Western influence
No it doesn't.
>>
>>84515896
...Yes it does.
>>
>>84515877
Western civilization is the dominant civilization and equals modern civilization. Japan Westernized itself a hundred years ago. Japan is part of Western civilization.

You're talking about "Western influences" like Japan and the West are isolated from each other.
>>
>>84509510
that is french
>>
>>84516073
Japan's Westernization was unique in that it wasn't forced upon them by an imperial overlord. They were able to choose what advancements and cultural changes they wanted and what aspects of their own culture they wanted to keep. They tried to keep a lot of their cultural traditions in place while making as many political, technological, and economic advancements as possible. The result was that Japan's new culture was a bit odd and not philosophically or stylistically in line with the west, and they were never politically or culturally within the sphere of the west either.

What Westernizing really means is just being able to keep up in wars. Western culture may be dominant but there is no dominant Western culture, the different regions and nations of "the West" had unique cultures and still do. What they have in common is having the most advanced military.

And besides Japan has developed a markedly different style of cartoons than what developed in the western hemisphere. Doesn't really have to do much with history and international relations, although yeah you could probably credit some of the design aspects of anime to Japan's Westernization. I would say American as opposed to Western, but that would discredit some of the other countries, specifically France, that were important in the history of cartoons.
>>
>>84516412
I don't know what it was about my post that prompted this pointless sperglord response.

The Japanese shop at convinience stores, wear suits, go to high school, practise democracy, eat at McDonald's, watch television, make pop music, play tennis and read ancient Greek works. That's Western culture. That's what I meant. Obviously.
>>
>>84516572
Sure, they do many similar things, but their culture is different from America's or Britain's or Germany's, which are all different from each other (although definitely less so). There's no "western culture" really, other than military tech. That's the one thing that defines Westernization.

Also what I meant really was that that's only indirectly related to cartoons at best. I just sperged about the history because I felt like it and you brought it up. Cartoons have definitely developed differently in Japan from the roots in the West, so it's possible for Japanese artists to take cues from the west and vice versa regardless of Westernization or the prevailing culture or whatever.
>>
>>84516723
Jesus christ. I never said or even implied that Japan is a fucking carbon copy of the West or that all Western countries are carbon copies of each other.

>There's no "western culture" really, other than military tech. That's the one thing that defines Westernization.
This is incredibly stupid and you should stop posting immediately.
>>
>>84516763
>you should stop posting immediately

no u

>I never said or even implied that Japan is a fucking carbon copy of the West or that all Western countries are carbon copies of each other

I never said you did, but you said that there is a prevailing Western culture, and also that Japan is a part it and that this somehow prevents anime from being influenced by western cartoons, so I was arguing to disprove that.

Anon, if Japan did none of those things that you listed, the convenience stores and the pop music and stuff, but still had the military tech to beat Russia in the russo-japanese war and compete with the world wars, they would still be considered westernized.
>>
>>84516970
>you said that there is a prevailing Western culture, and also that Japan is a part it
Which is all true.

>and that this somehow prevents anime from being influenced by western cartoons
No, I said that an anime isn't "Western influenced" just because it has a Western setting. Your average high school anime is already "Western influenced" and even animation itself is "Western influenced." It's utterly meaningless to point these things out.

>Anon, if Japan did none of those things that you listed, the convenience stores and the pop music and stuff, but still had the military tech to beat Russia in the russo-japanese war and compete with the world wars, they would still be considered westernized.
You have no idea what you're talking about and probably have a mental illness.
>>
>>84517037
>Which is all true
I disagree, as I explained.

>No, I said that an anime isn't "Western influenced" just because it has a Western setting
I didn't even know that was you, I though you were a different person since you responded to the first post. And it definitely does, setting is the base of storytelling and determines how the characters dress, eat, look like, all that stuff. It even determines how they think and act to a certain extent, although there's definitely room for artistic leeway on that. If Japan had never made contact with the west, they wouldn't be able to use western settings in their cartoons or anything. It definitely counts as influence.

>You have no idea what you're talking about and probably have a mental illness.
Okay. Bye, I guess.
>>
>>84517353
>I disagree, as I explained.
It doesn't matter if you disagree.

>And it definitely does
It doesn't, as already explained.
>>
File: nervous agreement.png (372KB, 775x557px) Image search: [Google]
nervous agreement.png
372KB, 775x557px
Post more Gurihiru
>>
File: 1468232273986.gif (397KB, 720x480px)
1468232273986.gif
397KB, 720x480px
>>84513059
Just kill me now
>>
>>84509510
Wasn't this Podracing?
>>
>>84509121
>Western studio has Eastern studio do all the drawing
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.