[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a western equivalent to Evangelion? By this I mean,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 15

File: image.jpg (126KB, 500x396px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126KB, 500x396px
Is there a western equivalent to Evangelion? By this I mean, a show that influenced cartoons and paved the way for shows to do something different? A show that's so influential people still talk about it way after it aired?
>>
Evangelion is overrated.
>>
Looney Tunes.
>>
>>84028127
>By this I mean, a show that influenced cartoons and paved the way for shows to do something different

it stole some lines off the bible. thats nothing new anon
>>
>>84028127
Ren and Stimpy
>>
No, cartoons still haven't gotten to the point where you have as much freedom as anime does. Pretty much all cartoons here are some form of comedy and have to add "dark moments" to add depth to the show. You won't see anything like EoE from the west anytime soon where it deals with psychological trauma and uses sexuality as a way to flesh out the charaters.
>>
>>84028127
Mickey Mouse, Looney Tunes, Simpsons, South Park, Avatar and Adventure Time

I'm missing one from the 90s here, but I can hardly remember.
>>
>>84028192
Don't forget The Flintstones
>>
>>84028192
>Currently running things
>>
>>84028239
OP didn't ask for currently running shows. Also, Evangelion isn't currently running.
>>
>>84028239
good things last a good ways. You notice how most of Annos shows shine really bright for an unfathomably short time
>>
>>84028137
>>84028153
Evangelion was a huge hit not just with otaku but the mainstream despite being a very otaku anime. It set new standards for TV anime and popularized late night anime (it may have also influenced the prevalence of the production committee system, but I'm not sure). The popularity of its characters and the ensuing merchandising played a part in turning Akihabara into an otaku town, likely started the modern anime character industry, and was likely the biggest factor behind modern moe culture.

Notice how I didn't even mention anything about the story.
>>
>>84028127
Name 50 anime influenced by Eva
>>
>>84028127
>By this I mean, a show that influenced cartoons and paved the way for shows to do something different?
Evangelion isn't deep, you're just drowning in a shallow pool.
>>
>>84028295
Flinstones was never good though
>>
>>84028329
Every anime after 2000 :^)
>>
>>84028331
What does that quote have to do with being "deep"?
>>
File: 1464514597856.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
1464514597856.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
every thread, until you shave itnever mind that it's not the right board
>>
>>84028127
Yeah Batman the animated series
>>
>>84028127
>By this I mean, a show that influenced cartoons and paved the way for shows to do something different? A

Seinen with whiny protagonists existed both before and after Evangelion anon.
>A show that's so influential people still talk about it way after it aired?

Batman the Animated Series.
>>
>>84028127
>hay guise
>I just heard about this popular anime from before I was born so I torrented the remakes and want to talk about it because it's so different from the stuff on CN
The post.
>>
>>84028443
>>84028508
See >>84028321

I don't think there exists a /co/ equivalent to Evangelion.
>>
>>84028192
Mickey brought cartoons
Looney Tunes made them interesting
Simpsons shiwed it's not just a "kid's medium"
South Park implemented satire and social commentary
Avatar showed cartoons could be immersive and not only for keks
Adventure Time brought "lolsorandumb"
>>
>>84028508
>Seinen with whiny protagonists existed both before and after Evangelion anon.
Not on regular /tv/
>>
>>84028329
It'd be easier to list ones that weren't, assuming you can actually find any.
>>
>>84028512
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>84028651
Hello and welcome to 4chan.
>>
>>84028508
Gonna second BTAS. It was revolutionary at the time, paved the way for more mature cartoons, and still always comes up in several discussions.
>>
>>84028552
>Adventure Time brought "lolsorandumb"
That's bullshit and you know it.
So many cartoons did that before AT.
It's like saying Halo made fps.
>>
>>84028528
That's just because Japan is it's own tiny sphere and is as such easily influenced compared to the rest of the west, which is more intertwined. One cartoon isn't going to revolutionise the entire US, because society and culture there isn't exclusively determined by what goes on in the US. Japan is actively trying to be isolated and keep its culture however, and is therefore almost exclusively influenced by the inside.
>>
>>84028508
>Seinen with whiny protagonists existed both before and after Evangelion anon.

Thats like saying

> Superhero movies have existed before and after Iron Man 1

Replace 'superhero movies' with 'sequels'. Either way, it is totally asinine to pretend that the success of the MCU hasn't had a major impact on Hollywood, leading to a resurgence in superhero movies AND prompting the 'cinematic universe' bandwagon that every studio and their mother is trying to jump aboard posthaste.
>>
Tom and Jerry and Disney movies basically inspired millions into cartoon and are a standards for animation
>>
File: huh.gif (3KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
huh.gif
3KB, 400x400px
>>84028127

But OP Evangelion was a literal mess. Most of the story points in the original series were developed simply because the guy in charge had an unbelievable hard on for biblical mythology. Not to mention most of its themes, characters and settings were stolen from Macross and other series of much higher quality.

Evangelion didn't pave the way for anything, it was simply the first in a long line of mecha anime that incorporated enough of a vague story to have people convinced it was far deeper than it really was (see Five Nights at Freddies for another example). And it's depressing that people consider this good story telling as its lead to a number of poorly written series being regarded as masterpieces due to vague plot elements. If anything that is all it's paved the way for.
>>
>>84028282
There's been several incarnations of both the Looney Tunes and Mickey Mouse, but notice how the old ones are generally the most fondly remembered and frequently called back to.

I think the new Mickey shorts surpass the old ones but that's just my opinion.
>>
>>84028674
Lolsorandumb is more or less from that era tho, just saying, and AT is the only one of them to get this popular..

But what did AT do to stick out then?
>>
>>84028710
Hahaha Anno cared not one bit about biblical mythology he just thought the names were cool and foreign, and have nothing to do with the story. Even the giant robots are barely relevent to the story. The humans are what drives the story because humans are what Anno is obsessed with most
>>
>>84028767

And even those were unbelievable pieces of shit.
>>
>>84028686
Japan was enthusiastically following in Disney's footsteps after the war. American commercial animation has been influenced by European animation little if at all. Not that any of this matters; American animation isn't any different from Japanese animation in this case.

You may as well claim Doom didn't revolutionize the game industry, because America is open to outside influences. Which wouldn't even make any sense.

>>84028710
Again, see >>84028321
>>
NGE is remarkable mostly because of successfully it disguises convolution for depth & largely meaningless abstruseness for profound symbolism.

NGE essentially "tricks" people into believing it's so much more than it is with arcane larger-than-life imagery that viewers impart undue significance to. "Surely it means SOMETHING" they think, the fact that they don't understand leads them to believe there's some greater philosophical meaning that escapes them.

NGE is like a Rorschach test insomuch as its more telling to see what people think it means, rather than having any inherent insight.
>>
>>84028127
The Simpsons
Still talked about, made animation boom on primetime television and, just like Evangelion, turned into a huge mess.
>>
>>84028800

Yes but it's still an over-saturated piece of shit. It could have paved the way for the greatest revolutions in the animation industry but it was still a steaming mess that stole ideas and didn't make sense.
>>
>>84028816
Or maybe the story involves more than just imagery and symbolism.
>>
>>84028847
Nobody cares about your opinion, and it's laughable to accuse a work of fiction of "stealing ideas."
>>
File: readImage.jpg (38KB, 620x445px) Image search: [Google]
readImage.jpg
38KB, 620x445px
>>84028871

>it's laughable to accuse a work of fiction of "stealing ideas."
>>
>>84028889
The history of fiction is the history of "stealing ideas."
>>
>>84028782

Well, now that we have your opinion, I'll be sure to let the rest of the 400 million NGE fans know that its time to pack it up.

Whether you like the show personally or not, you have to be a fucking idiot to not recognize the splash that the show has made. Its 20 years later and it regularly fights for top 5 placement in popularity polls and merch dollars, both inside and outside of Japan.

That isn't the sort of thing that happens if the show doesn't leave a lasting impact on people.
>>
>>84028919

I'm sure you use the "No idea is original" line of reasoning to make you feel better about the things you write but not all fiction is a blatant rip off of other fiction.
>>
>>84028949
"Rip off" doesn't mean anything anymore. If work A bears even a little resemblance to work B (which may itself bear a resemblance to work C) it's called a "rip off."

So many people fetishize originality for the sake of originality.
>>
>>84028931
>you have to be a fucking idiot to not recognize the splash that the show has made.
>splash
more of a stain
a shit stain if you want to be precise
>>
>>84028931

Again I say it could have made the most lasting impression seen in the animation media since its conception but it doesn't mean it was good. Evangelion allowed for poor writers with very little skill or talent in their field to introduce masses to their ideas simply by leaving enough of it out that people assume the story is good.

As it was mentioned before Evangelion is one of those series where its more interesting to see what people think happened than to actually find out what happened and the fact that they have remade the series three, probably going on four any day now, times just goes to show that even the creators knew they could have done it better.

400 million people could like McDonalds, that doesn't mean I have to admit it's a culinary masterpiece.
>>
>>84028977

So because you feel majority of people are too quick to jump to calling something a "rip off" that invalidates my argument? The show stole countless plot and character elements from Macross and a few other series. To simply say it was a homage or an established trope at the time is insulting to both me and you.
>>
>>84028981
Most professianal food critics will laud macdonalds as a culinary masterpiece if you disguise the fact that it's macdonalds
>>
>>84028816

Evangelion is a weirdly great litmus test for seeing how people critique stuff and weigh their own opinion. So many people look at the show, notice that the religious symbolism is pretty superficial, and decide that they are the messiah chosen by god to be the one person on the planet to have ever noticed this, innately assuming that this detail has somehow escape the feeble perceptions of everyone else who watched the show. Those poor, pitiful subhumans that only think they are enjoying something, but if you look closely they obviously cannot be. Wake up, sheeple!

I have never met anyone who liked NGE specifically because of the religious symbolism and nothing else. It can make for some cool imagery, which is weirdly enough why it was included, but that's not what gave the show any of its depth or staying power.

Which is why, obviously, that's the only aspect of the show that certain people are willing to believe could be why people say the show is well done or deep or whatever.
>>
>>84029011

Most professional food critics know the difference between meat and what McDonalds puts between their Sugar indulged buns.

Don't lie like that Anon.
>>
>>84029008
>The show stole countless plot and character elements from Macross and a few other series.
Do you think Macross invented mecha? Oh dear, looks like Macross was STEALING from others. Maybe someone should sue them.

Evangelion was also intended to be some sort of "deconstruction," so obviously it would be similar to past works in the genre.
>>
>>84028981
Again you're looking at the parts of Eva that don't matter and mistaking them for the main appeal, you're just as bad as the hollow impersonaters you're criticising
>>
>>84029036

Macross didn't invent Mecha anime anon but no one with half a mind thinks "Mecha" is plot or character elements.
>>
>>84029055
No one with half a mind is as pointlessly obsessed with "originality" as you. Anything that resembles anything else or borrows anything from anything else is "stealing" and "ripping off." Ridiculous.
>>
>>84029053

I made no such accusation Anon. Again I insist you read over what I have said. I know why people like the anime. Chances are it's mostly nostalgia from it being the first anime that was distributed successful to majority of the western world. I'm simply saying that just because it does these things doesn't mean it's good.
>>
>>84029072

Don't put words in my mouth. I'm not obsessed with originality I'm just making sure credit is given where credit is due. If athletes can get called up on doping than so too should this bloated piece of shit.
>>
>>84029095
>I'm not obsessed with originality
Yes you are, and the worst part is that you aren't even aware of it for some reason.
>>
>>84029032
They really don't
>>
>>84029102

>obsessed with originality

All I'm doing is offering a differing opinion Anon. If you don't agree with it or you think it's wrong maybe you should consider therapy? I'm not the one who came to /co/ with the sole purpose of measuring the boards medium against weeb trash.
>>
>>84029131

Prove it then.
>>
>>84029136
>All I'm doing is offering a differing opinion Anon
Your opinion is wrong.

>I'm not the one who came to /co/ with the sole purpose of measuring the boards medium against weeb trash.
I didn't start this thread, and nobody was comparing anything to "weeb trash," whatever that's supposed to be. Anime is Japanese and therefore cannot be weeb.
>>
>>84029095
> If athletes can get called up on doping than so too should this bloated piece of shit.

You realize that athletes get called on that because they are playing in a game that has rules that ban various means of securing ungamely advantages over the competition.

Something which the publication of fiction noteably doesn't have.

I don't think that the idea of 'cheating' when it comes to writing a show really exists. Plagarism might, but not cheating.
>>
File: 1382698399759.jpg (181KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1382698399759.jpg
181KB, 600x450px
>NGE paved the way for shows to do something different!
>But, anon NGE didn't do anything different
>LOL STOP BEING SO OBSESSED WITH ORIGINALITY GEEZ
this thread in a nutshell
>>
>>84029027
>nonsensical imagery doesn't matter because the half-baked plot makes up for it.
>>
>>84029168
See >>84028321
>>
>>84029155

>Your opinion is wrong.

If you think so Anon.

And Anime is just a term used by the Japanese to refer to Animation. Weeb trash is a term pegged by the internet to label productions like Evangelion and Panty Stockings and other shit. And you're excuse as to why anime can't be weeb was so painfully weeb I'm starting to think you're just an /a/ troll.
>>
>>84029200

Cool. And now the argument has devolved into sematics. The lowest form of attempting to continue a conversation to establish that you are, at least, right about *something*.

We are done here.
>>
>>84029200
>If you think so Anon.
If you disagree then maybe you should consider therapy!

>And Anime is just a term used by the Japanese to refer to Animation.
I don't believe I said anything about the definition of the word, so why are you bringing this up?

>Weeb trash is a term pegged by the internet to label productions like Evangelion and Panty Stockings and other shit.
Evangelion and PSG, by definition, cannot be weeb.

>And you're excuse as to why anime can't be weeb was so painfully weeb I'm starting to think you're just an /a/ troll.
I think "the Japanese cannot be wannabe Japanese" is a fairly solid excuse.

How am I a weeb?
>>
>>84029236

Thank god. We can let this weeb trash thread die in the ass like the series was supposed to after those god awful last two episodes.

God only knows what glue sniffer gave that otaku hating man more money to keep the ball rolling after he stole so much from both the company and his predecessors.
>>
>>84029241

>Evangelion and PSG, by definition, cannot be weeb.
>How am I a weeb?

Okay Anon senpai. Sorry to upset you desu. Go back to your baka forums nyaa
>>
>>84029269
Weeb = weeaboo = wapanese = wannabe Japanese. So how is Evangelion weeb? And how am I a weeb?
>>
>>84029255
> stole so much from both the company and his predecessors
And his precedessors "stole" from their predecessors.
>>
>>84029280

Holy shit your reading comprehension.

Evangelion = Weeb Trash

Weeb Trash = Japanese Cartoons that Weebs flock around

Now you can go back to Crunchyroll or whatever bullshit streaming service you use to not have to pay for the godless shows you watch you disgusting weeb.
>>
>>84029294

Calm down Anon I'm not arguing that. Evangelion stole almost everything bar their characters names from shows that did what they wanted to do far better than them as I'm sure you imagine the shows before Evangelion did with their predecessors. All cool m8.
>>
>>84029297
As I just explained to you, Evangelion cannot be wannabe Japanese. Anime and cartoons are two different things.

>Now you can go back to Crunchyroll or whatever bullshit streaming service you use to not have to pay for the godless shows you watch you disgusting weeb.
Why should I leave when this entire website revolves around anime, manga, otaku culture and Japan? And AGAIN: how am I a weeb? You keep saying I am one, but you can't seem to explain why.

>>84029307
>Calm down Anon
?

>Evangelion stole
No.
>>
>>84029334

Chill out weeb. I'm just saying that Anime steals a lot of what it claims to be original from other anime that stole a lot from Western culture if you track it back long enough. I mean before the west hit their shores it was all lady boys and octopus fucking so we kind of brought a lot to the table.

And stop with the whole Evangelion is weeb thing. I mean if you like it thats cool, don't be so embarrassed about your hobbies, just understand that everyone who likes what you like are fat disgusting people who wish they were Japanese. It's okay.
>>
>>84028429
>Rei smiling

this just feels wrong
>>
>>84029363
>Chill out weeb.
How am I a weeb and why are you telling me to chill out when you are obviously very upset?

>I'm just saying that Anime steals a lot of what it claims to be original from other anime that stole a lot from Western culture if you track it back long enough
Welcome to all fiction ever.

>I mean before the west hit their shores it was all lady boys and octopus fucking so we kind of brought a lot to the table.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Japan has its own religion, mythology, history, fiction and arts.

>And stop with the whole Evangelion is weeb thing.
I'm not the one who said it.

>I mean if you like it thats cool, don't be so embarrassed about your hobbies, just understand that everyone who likes what you like are fat disgusting people who wish they were Japanese. It's okay.
And you actually have the nerve to tell other people to chill out.
>>
>>84028659
Who
>>
>>84029446

Dude you need to take a breather, go for a walk or something, you got one of those rascal scooters? What am I thinking you just spent the last thirty minutes arguing about a chinese cartoon of course you do. Take it for a spin around the kitchen and come back when you have cooled off. Maybe boot up some of that Evangelion you love so much? Or Macross? Gundam? It's all the same shit.
>>
>>84029482
>Dude you need to take a breather
You are a hypocrite.

>What am I thinking you just spent the last thirty minutes arguing about a chinese cartoon of course you do.
You started the argument and you're still here.

Are you just upset because anime has completely superceded Western animation?
>>
>>84029502

>Are you just upset because anime has completely superceded Western animation?

That must be it Anon. You got me. Go relax now. You deserve it.
>>
>>84029513
Again, you are a hypocrite. You keep telling me to "relax" even though you're shaking with rage.
>>
>>84029523

Why are you still here? Does your scooter need to charge?
>>
>>84029536
Why are YOU still here?
>>
>>84029551

Just looking out for your best interest weeb anon. Go get some fresh air buddy.
>>
>>84029536
>>84029551
Why don't both of you just stop posting and let this thread die in peace.
>>
>>84029559
I have asked you many times now to explain why I'm a weeb and every single time you have failed to do so.

>Go get some fresh air buddy.
You first.
>>
>>84028127
>A show that's so influential

>kids with issues use giant robots to fight monsters of the week - the show
>one of the most influential pieces of animation japan has to offer
yay nippon
>>
>>84029572

Anon it's like 2:15 in the morning and I'm baked off my ass.

Trolling this weeb thread has been mad fun.

>>84029577

You're a weeb cause you've been here nearly an hour defending chinese bullshit.

I on the other hand am gonna make a run to the corner store for some fucking snacks.

Peace out weeb.
>>
>>84029604
Thanks for the blog you lonely faggot
>>
>>84029583
See >>84028321

And you're in no position to look down on anime.

>>84029604
>Trolling this weeb thread has been mad fun.
"I-I was just pretending to be retarded." Damage control.

>You're a weeb cause you've been here nearly an hour defending chinese bullshit.
Defending anime doesn't make anyone a weeb, and you've been here just as long.

>Peace out weeb.
I'm not a weeb.
>>
Akira is infinitely more influential than Evangelion
>>
>>84029604
You're a fellow australian, I should have known
>>
>>84029661
See >>84028321
>>
>>84028729
It did other things, believe it or not.
Like world building for one thing.
>>
>>84028980
Nice hipster opinion
>>
Is there any Anime film as influential to the genre overall as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs?
>>
I love it when people openly defend evangelion because it is a fool-proof way of detecting enormous faggots
>>
>>84029730
I'm not sure what the influence of Snow White was, but no I don't think there is an anime that has had a great impact on animation as a whole. Anime, broadly, has had some influence in recent decades, but mostly stylistically.
>>
>>84029730
Astro Boy
>>
>>84028127

Yes.

Adventure Time.

Started off as a mentally challenged child trying to survive from episode to episode and then fans read too much in to its non existent plot and they were forced to drag in out.

It can also be compared to the Simpsons as in it was much better at the start and should have ended before the creator grew to hate it.

It can also be likened to Korra by measuring how much money it wasted.
>>
>>84029772
>I'm not sure what the influence of Snow White was
It was the first feature-length color animated film, and the first feature-length animated film most people had ever seen. It helped define what "western style" animated films looked like and were stylistically.
>>
>>84029773
The television adaptation?
>>
>>84029789
See >>84028321

>>84029800
Oh yeah, it came out in 1937. I remembered it being newer than that.

>>84029818
Astro Boy is super important for anime, but not for animation on the whole.
>>
>>84029730
Gibli films
>>
File: the devil.jpg (31KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
the devil.jpg
31KB, 500x354px
>>84029848
Everyone loves Ghibli films, but I feel like a lot of anime is unfortunately leaving his contributions behind to do what they were doing anyway.
>>
>>84028321
>It set new standards for TV anime

Could you provide some examples?
>>
>>84029948
why did you reply to him?
it was funny watching him reply to himself so many times
>>
>>84029987
This.
>>
>>84029948
I'm not too familiar with it myself, it's just what I've repeatedly read. Apparently the direction, visuals and storytelling broke new ground for TV anime.

>>84029987
>>84030001
What do you mean reply to myself?
>>
>>84028429
Why the fuck do they force Mari like she's always been a main NGE character?
>>
>>84030024
It's a joke.
>>
File: what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png (19KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png
19KB, 400x400px
Even when Timbox isn't here, it's like Timbox is here.

Some people don't understand when they're wrong.
>>
File: Statler_waldorf_02_01.jpg (80KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Statler_waldorf_02_01.jpg
80KB, 1024x768px
>>84030024
>>84030100
>It's a joke.
they just want to keep her on par with the rest of the show!
>>
>>84029297
>Eva
>Weeb trash

You have to go back
>>
>>84030217
more like the weebs need to finally move on
>>
>>84030366
Evangelion wasn't made for the Western market, and enjoys the most popularity in Japan. Weeaboos are not its exclusive fans in the West.
>>
>>84029789
>>84028127
cynicism aside, AT ushered in the "cal-arts style" that out current age of cartoons are land-locked in, so visually it had an enormous impact. to my knowledge its the first mainstream cartoon written by playing D&D, which is pretty rad.
>>
Jimmy Neutron.
>>
>>84028127
Breaking Bad
>>
>>84028321
ok, the story of evangelion is overrated
>>
>>84032246
Good thing it's not about the story
>>
>>84029297
But you have to pay in crunchyroll.
But why do you hate anime so much? Do you think western cartoons are better?
>>
>>84028127
Ren & Stimpy

>>84028153
You're an idiot.

>>84028321
>production committee system
What's that?
>>
>>84029363
Wait? So if you like anime that means nowdays you want to be japanese?
>>
>>84030471
To put it into less cynical terms, networks had spent the later 2000s assuming that animation was a dying medium. Adventure Time was the series that showed the networks that cartoons weren't the problem, it was outdated marketing strategies that were responsible for their lack of popularity with modern audiences. It's a huge deal in that regard.
>>
>>84028127
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcDfLX4UfI8
>>
>>84029902
You do know that this guy has been hating what anime had begome since 80s?
>>
>>84032529
>What's that?
Several companies finance the production of an anime together. The committee can include companies like a manga/novel publisher, anime production company, TV station, record company, merchandise company, an anime studio, and a streaming service. Basically anyone who stands to gain from the anime's success.
>>
The Simpsons is probably the closest /co/ equivalent you can get.
>so popular when it premiered that it's still a cultural icon to this day
>tapped into the mainstream audience who didn't watch cartoons
>pretty much every adult cartoon airing today, around half of currently airing cartoons, in some way owes its existence to The Simpsons
>>
>>84028729
It saved Cartoon Network from giving up on cartoons altogether, that's pretty important.
>>
File: HURR DURR DURR.jpg (212KB, 671x592px) Image search: [Google]
HURR DURR DURR.jpg
212KB, 671x592px
>>84029604
>goes from not elaborating from "stealing ideas" and "didn't make sense" to semantics to ad hominem with "durr weeb" when cornered
>starting shit just for replies
Yeah, fuck off you little mentally retarded shit. It takes two to tango and you're not any smarter for wasting your time you smug entitled prick. Medicate that illness you call a brain with buckshot to the face immediately.
>>
>>84028729
>Lolsorandumb is more or less from that era tho
No, it really wasn't. There was Invader Zim and the whole Hot Topic explosion before that, and the anime boom where people started unironically using XD-faces before that. I'm sure there are earlier examples, but I'm not old enough to remember them.

Which is my point, really. You only remember AT as the "lolsorandom" precursor because you were at the right age to start noticing it. What AT -did- do, though, is usher in an age of creator-driven animation dominated more by new blood than by industry vets, during a somewhat sparse period for western cartoons. And since all of those creators were from the same generation and many had similar backgrounds, you had a lot of similar themes and styles leaking through (this is the "CalArts" meme that /co/ loves to bandy about).
>>
See >>84028321
>>
>>84032957
I kept linking to that for good reasons. Why are you linking to it?
>>
>>84032666
Yeah, that was the point.
>>
Pretty much everything Walt Disney himself made, Spongebob, Ren and Stimpy, Avatar.
>>
see
>>84028321
>>
see
>>84028321
>>
>>84028192
Adventure Time's age hasn't run it's course. It could easily be a fad.
>>
>>84028552
>Avatar showed cartoons could be immersive and not only for keks

Fucking youngfags
>>
>>84033107
>>84033112
Ok, I see how it is. I've discovered this behavior many times before and I'm pretty sure it's some kind of autism or other mental condition. If I say something repeatedly (and for perfectly justifiable and clear reasons), someone will start repeating it for no reason. They don't understand what I'm saying, they just respond to the fact that I've said it several times.
>>
>>84033073
>Avatar
>>
>>84033149
see
>>84033149
>>
>>84033013
>>84033149
He's mocking you, my dude.

>>84029902
Ghibli honestly seems more influential to western animators than to Japanese ones, these days. Most of the inspirations I hear in Japanese interviews are either totally out of left field, or mashups of more classical things. For some reason, you don't see a lot of Japanese creators owning up to the works within their medium that inspire their style.

>>84033073
>>84028552
Avatar doesn't have nearly the same "word on the street" power as those other titles. Most people would just assume you're talking about blue cat people. And all it's really doing is carrying the flame introduced by the early 2000s anime boom, anyway.
>>
>>84033149
lmao you take a joke way too seriously.
>>
File: 1466643523710.png (643KB, 692x938px) Image search: [Google]
1466643523710.png
643KB, 692x938px
Someone nearly had a heart attack recently because he thought NGE was anti-semetic. Imagine the shitstorm if the U.S. tried to make a cartoon like that.
>WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
>>
>>84033061
But what i dont understand why people think that when miyazaki said this they think it means 2010s?
>>
>>84028192
B:tAS
>>
>>84033253
>>84033256
There's nothing to mock and there is no joke. He just has some condition. There's a lot of people on 4chan who have significant mental disabilities and/or disorders.

>Ghibli honestly seems more influential to western animators than to Japanese ones, these days.
Makoto Shinkai, Mamoru Hosoda and Sunao Katabuchi seem like they've been taking influence from Ghibli.

Ghibli's influence no doubt runs very deep among manga artists and anime directors, even if it's not always obvious.
>>
>>84033309
Are you implying it's gotten any better?
>>
>>84033481
No of course not but people always glorious 80s and 90s anime for some reason.
>>
>>84033471
No, see, he's mocking you. Because if you keep repeating something totally unprompted and to excess, you are the one who looks like you have a legit disorder. He's poking fun at you by aping your almost non-sequitur callbacks to another post, by being even more non-sequitur.

The fact that I even have to explain this doesn't speak well of your ability to process social situations.
>>
>>84033481
TV anime now is far more varied and sophisticated than it was in the 80s and earlier, and production values have increased tremendously.

>>84033582
>Because if you keep repeating something totally unprompted and to excess
I didn't. Do you also have a condition?
>>
File: 1457473196891.png (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1457473196891.png
2MB, 1280x720px
>>84033615
Too bad Japan keeps asking for the same shit over and over. Osumatsu-San is the only 2015 anime that really stands out.
>>
>>84033615
Did you not reply six times in a row with "See >>84028321"?

...Wait. You. I've seen you before. You go into tirades about the deep cultural uplift of anime and manga at the drop of a ten-yen coin, whenever one of these /a/-baiting threads pops up. You are the epitome of high INT, low WIS.
>>
>>84030018
See>>84029846>>84029690>>84029649>>84029187...
>>
>>84033744
What's really too bad is that you people keep saying shit like this even though you barely watch any anime and therefore know next to nothing about it. You've created this consensus that anime now is just "the same shit over and over," and you think it has to be true because everyone else thinks it's true too.

>>84033803
>Did you not reply six times in a row with "See >>84028321 (You)"?
Yes, and every time I had a perfectly valid reason to do so.

Do you have a condition?
>>
File: 1401181094420.jpg (21KB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
1401181094420.jpg
21KB, 280x210px
>>84033829
being a smelly attention whore is NOT a valid reason
>>
>>84033829
Since you know so much then what are some recent anime that don't take place in a high school and don't star teenagers?
>>
>>84032586
solid. but from a marketting standpoint, what did CN do differently with adventure time? i think vibe wise it had a fresh feel but they still just shilled toys, shitty flash games and hoodies
>>
File: 1459289280011.gif (2MB, 390x357px) Image search: [Google]
1459289280011.gif
2MB, 390x357px
>>84033829
>Did you not reply six times in a row with "See >>84028321 (You)"?
>Yes, and every time I had a perfectly valid reason to do so.

No, you didn't had.

Only because you think your post is any good doesn't mean it's correct
>>
File: 07ed7d2ed7.gif (18KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
07ed7d2ed7.gif
18KB, 340x340px
>>84033829
>Do you have a condition?
Yeah, I can't stop engaging with the densest man alive. Whatever he might know about anime is overshadowed by his undeservedly high opinion of himself, his insensitivity to basic social cues like jokes, and his complete lack of self-awareness. Signal is lost in the dense thicket of his neckbeard.

Enjoy your superior Nippon kino, Ken-sama.
>>
>>84033744
Nope. Lupin saved the year
>>
>>84033744
Well japs has shit taste.
>>
>>84033936
I have done no attention whoring.

Do you have a condition?

>>84033940
You people sure like to pull this kind of shit. You complain everything is the same, and when someone tells you otherwise you move the goalposts and come up with irrelevant criteria like shows that can't take place in high school and can't star teenagers. It doesn't make any sense because it's not like two shows that take place in high school are the same just because they take place in high school. High school is just a setting.

But as for shows that don't star (obvious) teenagers or take place in high school, this season alone we had at least Bungou Stray Dogs, Concrete Revolutio, Ace Attorney, Joker Game, Kabaneri and Terra Formars. The previous season we had at least Shirayuki-hime, Erased, Dimension W, Gate and Shouwa Genroku.

>>84034011
Explain why I had no valid reason to make those replies.

>>84034088
You are trying to change the subject. So you admit you either have a condition or you've just been throwing shit at the wall and hoping something sticks.
>>
>>84028321
Funny because this a description given to DBZ
>>
>>84028127
Liquid Television.
>>
>>84034169
How does it apply to DBZ?
>>
>>84033985
I honestly think it's more the hiring strategy that changed, and less the marketing. CN started taking in a lot of new blood, fresh out of places like... well, like CalArts. Meanwhile, former CN industry vets like Craig, Lauren, and Genndy were nowhere to be seen.
>>
>>84034165
>Habanero
>doesn't star teenagers
Nigga please.
>>
>>84034357
Read more closely:
>(obvious) teenagers
I don't even know how old Ikoma is. He could be in his late teens or in his early twenties.

I just checked the fan wiki and he's apparently 17, but he sure doesn't seem like it. Age is ultimately arbitrary in anime.
>>
>>84028321
No wonder Anno wants to kill himself.
>>
>>84034459
He and Ayame are very obviously teenagers, but I guess "obvious" is in the eye of the beholder. I would say Mumei fits the bill for "obvious," but apparently she's fucking 12.
>>
>>84034459
Age really is wierd thing in anime
How old is Lupin?
>>
>>84034517
>>84034092
>tfw no live action French-Japanese Arsène Lupin film starring Pierre Richard was made in the '60s/'70s.
>>
>>84034188
>set new standards for TV anime and popularized late night anime (it may have also influenced the prevalence of the production committee system, but I'm not sure).
Is from multiple reviews of DBZ during its initial run and its toonami run
>>
>>84034729
I've never heard of DBZ setting any new standards or being known for direction or production values. It also wasn't a late night anime.
>>
>>84034787
Maybe because you live under a rock. I'm not talking about the franchise as a whole, rather DBZ as a specific anime.
>>
>>84034936
I don't live under a rock.

I suspect you just hate NGE and are trying to undermine and discredit it however you can.
>>
>>84028729
>>84032909

I understand your point anon, and it was kinda the first of its kind to be in a simplistic artstyle to have a large world-building thing. And then suddenly massive, massive amounts of other shows mimicked its anatomy and character designs because of how easily profitable and less time-consuming it is.

I will honestly say that the character design and anatomy in Adventure Time isn't anything special, but in a way it adds its own flavour if some of these other "calarts" designs from other shows didn't exist.

And I will say that CN had a MUCH better stylistic choice in art before Adventure Time was a thing.
Thread posts: 186
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.