[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what was really the message of this comic that no one really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: Watchmen.jpg (474KB, 1200x668px) Image search: [Google]
Watchmen.jpg
474KB, 1200x668px
So what was really the message of this comic that no one really gets?
There's not a white and black, only grey?
The means justify the ends?
A lesser evil is needed sometimes?
>>
>>83585914
That's it's wrong for the action of one individual to make a choice for everyone, even if it is for the safety of everyone else.
>>
That when you're feeling blue, you don't get erect.
>>
>>83585914
There is no meaning. It's all just toys for Geoff johns to play with.
>>
>>83586195
Also that being a superhero can be an unhealthy coping mechanism for people with psychological problems, and that a superhero's self-care can get in the way of their civic responsibilities.
>>
>>83585914
Alan Moore bet someone that he could draw an entire graphic novel featuring a flaccid blue penis.
>>
It was just a containment project to keep Moore from shitting up other characters.
>>
>>83586334
>Alan Moore bet someone that he could draw

Dave Gibbons is the artist. Shit/10 joke
>>
Superheroes can only save the day when you ignore real-world politics.
>>
File: 35minutes.jpg (51KB, 300x495px) Image search: [Google]
35minutes.jpg
51KB, 300x495px
You should do everything 35 minutes ago.
>>
It's really easy to add to the story of a comic with visual motifs, and that should happen more often
>>
>>83585914
Why the fuck do so many people think Jon is omniscient? I never read, I'm bad at reading. Please tell me the average person who's read watchmen has better reading comprehension then me. Please. Why is it so common??
>>
Like you do things that are against the law or morally wrong but you do it for a good cause, basically all supes and vigilantes. But where do you draw the line? Ozy did something horrible for a good cause, is he a villain or a hero and is there actually a difference?
>>
>>83586594
Powerlevel wankers do underrate his handicap of not being able to understand what motivates people even though he can perceive the future
>>
I think the point is that, regardless of what you do, you need to keep yourself truly open to other people. Otherwise, the life you lead will have lesser meaning.

The Comedian and Rorschach were basically two halves of the dark side of the coin, and Manhattan and Ozy were two halves of the light side of the coin. Each of them ended the story at a loss:

* Comedian and Rorschach are both dead, basically for sticking to their philosophies to the point of ignoring all other things (e.g. human decency, kindness, connection).

* Veidt can't be fully honest with anyone. Sure, what he's doing might have great meaning for the rest of humanity; and sure, his name (if he ever reveals what he did) may live on for the rest of humanity's lifetime. But at the end of the day, he can't form genuine connections. I'm not quite sure he's a sociopath, but considering how he killed his Vietnamese assistants with little remorse...it's possible. We already see him full of doubts in the "Was I right in the end?" scene, and I'm certain that on his deathbed, he'll desperately hold on to the "good" he's done for the world, ignoring the emptiness of his own existence.

* Manhattan is doomed to never die and to never be able to form connections with people in a meaningful way because he can't view the world the way a regular human does anymore.

Dan and Laurie are the only ones who get a chance of SOME kind of normalcy. And sure, they give up their old identities and their personal philosophies. But they'll live. And they'll love. And they'll be able to enjoy life.

I don't think Moore was trying to say something specific on the nature of good/evil. As it applies to the overarching plot, it felt more like "this sort of shit happens, whether we want it to or not". I think his point -- in the moments before characters meet their doom before explosions -- is that you need people with you to get through life, or through death.
>>
Why did comedian only tell molach instead of, I don't know, literally any other character in the entire story that could've affected the plot?
>>
>>83586754
Shush
>>
>>83586754
Because storytelling?

>why didnt they just use the eagles XD
>>
>>83585914
It's okay to fail, sometimes.
>>
>>83585914
Super heroes are a dumb idea from the word go, and applying any kind of real-world logic to them can only end in tears for everybody.
>>
>>83586754
because the comedian knows it's all a joke and it doesn't matter what he does. telling someone who 'could've affected the plot' wouldn't actually have affected the plot. his choice is part of the overall symbolism of shit going in cycles and nothing mattering.
>>
>>83586754

Because he needed to confess to someone other than a priest, who would listen and not ever even think of betraying that confession
>>
It's a story about Golden/Silver superheroes facing an actual problem we could see possible IRL.
>>
It was about Alan Moore stroking himself because he's so clever.

And also about how all superheros are just perverts or really terrible people or both.
>>
>>83585914
That only a mentally damaged sociopath could ever think being a superhero or vigilante is the right thing to do.
>>
>>83586751
>
Dan and Laurie are the only ones who get a chance of SOME kind of normalcy. And sure, they give up their old identities and their personal philosophies. But they'll live. And they'll love. And they'll be able to enjoy life.

I'm not so sure about that. Given their problems and how they basically feed off of each other, I could easily see Laurie leaving him at some point in the future and having history repeat itself.

Their biggest flaws are selfishness, remember.
>>
Being a superhero in the real world isn't the same as being one in a comic book world where morals aren't ambiguous and even the most damaged person can come out on top as long as they keep fighting for what they believe in. Basically what >>83586332 said: if you already had a traumatic life beforehand, putting on a mask and dishing out violence every night is going to hurt you mentally; likewise, trying to focus on yourself can also be bad because you're putting your needs over the needs of society, which you committed to the moment you decided to become a hero.

It's not anticape despite what edgelords may think. It's an exploration of how this sort of life would effect people and society as a whole, for better and worse. Even with all their baggage, I don't think anyone's contesting that the Minutemen and Crimebusters helped a lot of people at the height of their careers. And even Veidt's plan, while horrific, may have saved billions of people in the grand scheme of things.
>>
File: 250px-New_Gods_1971_1.jpg (62KB, 250x379px) Image search: [Google]
250px-New_Gods_1971_1.jpg
62KB, 250x379px
Now that we're on topic, could you inform me how much did they fuck Kirby on pic related
>>
>>83586751
>* Manhattan is doomed to never die and to never be able to form connections with people in a meaningful way because he can't view the world the way a regular human does anymore.
No hes a commentary on the expansion of consciousness. The fact that the further you can see the less you you perceive.
They're doomed, as is most of earth, the idea of needing to enjoy what you have while you still have it.
Sure he was. Its a layered commentary on perception, is ozzy's plan evil? Only if you're one of those who died for it. Is it good? Maybe if you lived because of it. You can't condone or condemn because someone has to make a choice sometime, and some choices are worse than others.
A hero is only a hero to those who get to see him that way, otherwise hes the worst of villains.
See lex luthor, and why he hates superman.
>>
File: Watchmen[1].jpg (132KB, 363x500px) Image search: [Google]
Watchmen[1].jpg
132KB, 363x500px
>>83589439
>>83589853
What about Hollis?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.