[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just caught up with this and I have to ask, so whats the infatuation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8

I just caught up with this and I have to ask, so whats the infatuation with this show exactly? Is it because its something "new" (for the west)? Overall Steven Universe just seems like an "ok" show that never reaches the heights of shows like Avatar but its pretty alright in its own standards. The pacing is downright sluggish and some episodes (Example: Reformed) make the characters look like downright shitheads for no reason. I enjoy the music and the art but this show misses many marks often enough.

So is all the love for this show just because of it being different or even gender politics?
>>
>>83424024
>>83423825
>>
>>83424056
I don't use generals
>>
>>83424024
honestly i don't remember. i think it used to be cute? at this point i'm sticking to it out of habit even though i recognize that it bothers me a lot, and my other friends have quit it.
>>
>>83424262
Ok so its not just me. The show feels much slower and a good number of episodes come off as they want to bounce between SoL and lore dumps. Hit the Diamond feels like an episode that should have involved the humans of beach city so they can get more exposure but it just became "Ruby and Sapphire fuck up a simple plan".
>>
>>83424024
The slow pace is one of the things that made the show so popular. Throughout its run, little nuggets of lore drop just frequently enough to keep internet autists typing. Like, there's a million very minor things we take for granted now that were hotly debated and wondered about towards the beginning of the series.

>>83424110
Respect anon, all generals are cancer
>>
> its a "why do people like____ thread"
All of these are the same thing. people who dont like the show willnjust tell you its shit and people who do dont care enough to tell yu why the like it in full.
>>
>>83424024

Remind me what this show has to do with gender? Them gems have one/no gender, which is even less then what humans have
>>
>>83424024
>never reaches the heights of shows like Avatar
Heights? Dude, Avatar was Kamen Rider tier. And I don't just mean in terms of writing, I mean the casting was downright Kamen Rider-esque(Aang was the main Rider, Zuko was secondary, Sokka was the non-rider sidekick, I could go on). It didn't reach any heights, and if we're gonna talk about pacing problems Avatar definitely suffered from those.
>>
>>83424642
Its more with how the fandom sees the show
>>
File: 212331943.jpg (68KB, 690x509px) Image search: [Google]
212331943.jpg
68KB, 690x509px
>>83424800
This guy's got it. I really enjoy Avatar myself, but it wasn't perfect and neither is SU. The thing is though, what flaws it had were very tolerable and inoffensive. It had so many more pros than cons going for it. I feel like SU is similar in that sense.

For all the people bitching about it being boring or whatever, frankly I disagree. But some people consider that a con. I think the pacing is refreshing as fuck, when there are so many shittily written animations out there that are so afraid of it's ADHD audience it doesn't give them anything to think about themselves and just presents every form of information it can as clearly as it can. The animation is also very passable at the worst of times and good at better. It's not super impressive but it''s refreshing imo to see something close to hand drawn animation. It goes off model but it makes it feel much more alive. Pros; it has very good writing for a cartoon on Cartoon Network. The characters are very believable in their own setting and have depth. It isn't like a lot of cartoons where a character is just a single character trait and the dialogue between the characters feel very believable, It has a bit of quirk going on but none of it is overbearing. It isn't like TTG or Gumball or AT or Flapjack etc. where it very obviously tries to make some relevant meme out of itself. It's self-aware and has a lot of care put into it by it's creator and for the most part, the team she's worked with to make it understands her vision.

I'm pretty surprised something like it has even managed to come to fruition, because usually, with so many hands muddying the pot, things tend to go really really bad. Not to mention corporate control doesn't seem to be too overbearing, which is new. I could go on but here's your essay, fag
>>
>>83425183
Nice response, pretty much summarizes my feelings. I absolutely adore this show because it's very clear the crew have put their heart and soul into making it and developing it the way they want to.
>>
>>83424024
I fell in love with the show when it was first starting and the threads were a rare treat and FULL of lore discussion
>>
File: 1463857786611.jpg (38KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1463857786611.jpg
38KB, 500x375px
>>83425183
My main problem with the pacing it's that it's all over the damn place. The show can have entire seasons that go nowhere plot wise, yet a lot of individual episodes feel rushed as fuck, even if nothing of significance even happens in it. Not to mention the show really has to rely on conveniences for what little plot the show has to even work. Seriously, you can tell when they don't want to deal with certain characters, since they deal with them in the most hackneyed ways imaginable, ranging from having characters acting like idiots in order for the villain to get away to downright dropping them in the center of the earth.

And don't even get me started on the drama. Good lord it's atrocious at best.

It's a decent show, but very, very flawed and doesn't deserve nowhere near the amount of praise it gets. It's not even the best show on the network, let alone what's on right now.
>>
>>83425183
Give this man a star
Seriously I think you nailed it
>>
>>83424024
I like all the characters and the lore behind it mainly.
Except Steven.
Steven never gets any better and anyone that says otherwise is just getting used to his weird behavior by the time season 2 rolls around.
>>
>>83424024
There just aren't that many good cartoons airing right now.
>>
>>83427772
Steven is just a human or a gem affecting human behaviors. Depth isn't going to work based on the other human characters.
>>
>>83428016
You didn't say anything that made sense.
>>
I'm in it for the world building
I'm not particularly fascinated by the show, I just want to see what everything is building up to
>>
>>83428079
Steven is not a character but a set piece.
>>
>>83424024
I cannot stand Steven's fucking voice, based on the two episodes I watched at a friends house.
I honestly do not get the appeal of the show at all.
>>
>>83428099
Greg is the human set piece.
Steven is one of the main characters that more often than not either resolves or causes the conflict.
The show is named after him, and the number of plots that resolve around his day to day life outnumber every other episode focus in the entire series.

He's not a set piece, he's just a damn snowflake.
>>
>>83428209
Steven McGuffin Universe
>>
>>83427772
Steven definitely has character. Have you even seen Steven Floats? He finally realizes that his powers are tied to his emotions ("just like all my other stupid powers.") and has really grown into the role of leader, from tag along kid.

The CGs listen to Steven. They do what he says, and shit gets done.
Anyway OP, people like SU because of the softer tone, the lore, the waifus, the references, and/or the amount of love the crew has put into this show. Rebecca Sugar isn't even 30- she grew up on EEnE and Zim just like us.

It's entirely likely the crew trawl this board for ideas/opinions- since we're the kind of people that created the show in the first place.
>>
>>83424024
It looked really promising at the end of the first season/beginning of the second season, and then there was a long hiatus, so hype built up for a long time. Then it became terrible.
>>
>>83428551
>He finally realizes that his powers are tied to his emotions

More like, he remember what Mr. Gus told him
>>
>>83428564
I disagree the beginning of the second season was fucking awful and a drag. This season has been much better.
>>
>>83428564
It's funny you say that, Rebecca Sugar said in an interview, the real show started after season 1.
>>
>>83428551
>Leader
I completely wish this wasn't the direction the show was going, but I can really see that's where they want to go.

The idea of a 14 year old leading a band of space rocks is dumbed down shit, and if they really want to press that all the other characters are so clueless and retarded that they can't be held together unless the child embodiment of their dead leader can beg them into functioning as a group then they're pretty hopeless as a fighting force.
>>
OP, pick up the posts you have here and forget about this thread, do it while the arguments still make sense, /co/ is unable to rationally talk about SU for more than 40 posts, it all devolves into shitty meems, buzzwords and fandom wars. It's not a pretty sight.
>>
File: 0.png (423KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
0.png
423KB, 800x450px
>>83424024
I just got hooked on it a couple days ago and it was all because of Peridot.

She's so adorable I can't help it. Had to go back and watch some older episodes to catch up too.
>>
>>83428822
Pretty much everything you said comes from the show being basically a western modern Sailor Moon.
>>
>>83424024
The show is expert at hinting at things but never confiming them, leaving out details that the audience desperately wants to know so we keep watching. This makes it 10 times more fun to talk about than just watch.
>>
>>83424024
>Is it because its something "new" (for the west)?

Is this the birth of an epic new meme?
>>
>>83429388
what do you mean?
>>
>>83424024
I like it because it's a funny show with well developed characters, good pacing, and actual continuity.
>>
File: [onore noises in the distance].jpg (153KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
[onore noises in the distance].jpg
153KB, 500x500px
>>83424800

>Using Kamen Rider as a negative descriptor.
>>
>>83429449
>actual continuity.

Why do people say this like its something new?
>>
>>83429388
No.
>>
>>83429577
I remember when Aang had all the collectibles so he got a new form.
>>
>>83429388
Please elaborate.
>>
File: 1356507333929.gif (446KB, 280x153px) Image search: [Google]
1356507333929.gif
446KB, 280x153px
>>83429449
>good pacing
>>
>>83429577
Not so much what I meant. Kamen Rider isn't bad, but it's certainly not what I'd call really good or amazing or any other such praise. It's fun and and entertaining, and that's fine, but let's not pretend it's anything more than that or hold it up as an example of something really awesome.
>>
I watch it mainly for the characters and the interactions. Then for the slow pace and the overall tone (the art and music play a big part in this).

The story could be about anything and i'd still like the show if they kept all of the things i mentioned earlier.
>>
So... Why did somebody copy my thread three times? Were they a mad SU fan or something?
>>
>>83424024
Thanks for making this thread, OP. I've had the same questions about the show, and you can't really ask in the general because the only response you ever get is "Oh look it's this guy again" and nobody answers the question.

>>83424384
>slow pace
Fair enough. So you like those bits of lore and background sprinkled occasionally throughout the episodes? Are you more talking about the occasional lore episode, or just little bits of things in the background which imply some history?

>>83425183
>pacing is refreshing as fuck
Alright, so a more sedate pacing? I can understand that.

>hand drawn animation, goes off model but it makes it feel much more alive
>very good writing for a cartoon on Cartoon Network
>characters are very believable in their own setting and have depth

>>83427772
>I like all the characters and the lore behind it mainly.
>Except Steven.
>Steven never gets any better
I've heard this criticism before, actually.

So the plus sides of the show seem to be the pacing, both in background information and the general pacing of the episodes. It's about the character relations and their development, and has better writing than most CN shows (which isn't saying that much).

Does that sound about right?
>>
>>83428822

That's the point. Steven is so charismatic that these thousand year old rock aliens bend to his will with barely any effort.

Part of it is his mother's gem giving him gem powers, and part of it is his murdercock genes from Greg.

Rose managed to create a rebellion so powerful it forever changed the face of Gemkind's Galactic Empire. She garnered thousands of gems to her side, from all castes and abilities.

Greg seduced a thousands of years old warlord who had had countless relationships with other humans over the millenia. In a short period of time (20 years at most) Greg turned the Leader of the Rebellion into someone who sacrificed herself to make a human baby.

Steven's combined charisma from both his parents plus his upbringing make him unstoppable. Look how quickly he turned Lapis and Peridot, and managed to at least make Lapis tolerate Peridot. He convinced the Cluster to bubble itself, the absolute madgem. His very presence warped Jasper's priorities, leading to her defeat and eventually to her redemption as well.
>>
>>83424024
Its nice to watch with your girlfriend
>>
>>83424024
all the sjw s love the show and spam it
>>
>>83428133
Zachs voiced has changed a lot since early season 1, and Steven with him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLmu9lCN0Ps
>>
>>83440807
This
>>
File: 1464911555389.jpg (109KB, 600x666px) Image search: [Google]
1464911555389.jpg
109KB, 600x666px
>>83424024

thic waifus
>>
>>83424024
Shits poorly paced as fuck, and doesnt handle character development at all. Things just happen and you've got to accept it. Steven acts like a pussy every fight, even if he has a big dilemma he still doesnt fight. Flash forward to another episode and its like it never happened and hes very willing to sacrifice his watermelon treants, who are sentient, while he mindjacks them with remote telepathy to battle against a fusion gem. The last stevenbomb is what made my gf drop the show so I'm free, enjoy the gay rock show though op.
>>
>>83442784
Gross
>>
>>83434718
not him but its probably both. Western cartoons typically lack episodic story lines and really only recently started to attempt it (adventure time, SU, total drama to name a few) and I think even like, the small hints of that storytelling style is really exciting to people.
>>
>>83445183
>lack episodic story lines and really only recently started to attempt it
No. Not even close. This whole "muh deep lore" being recent is total bullshit.

>Jackie Chan Adventures
>Xiaolin Showdown
>Avatar
>Ben 10
>Venture Brothers
>A lot of superhero cartoons

Shit, serialization was fucking huge in the 80's with shit like He-Man. Even recently, we still had stuff like Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes that absolutely no one seems to bring up, but oh Gravity Falls made a reference to a past episode, LORE GALORE.
>>
I hate how almost every problem is solved with the power of friendship and love.
>>
>>83447105
I don't mind it when a show has a strong anti-violence ethos and an idealistic streak, and I think that having characters hold to their philosophy in the face of destruction is admirable. It shows strength of character.

It's just that having the universe then bend over backwards to make them right and ensure they don't suffer any consequences for holding to their beliefs kind of robs it of its impact. Talking can't solve every problem, much as we might wish otherwise. When you can solve a problem without violence, you should, sure, but it's an unfortunate fact that it just doesn't always work that way, but choosing to at least try to talk even when diplomacy seems impossible is all the more powerful because it doesn't always work and there might be consequences, IMO.

Having the narrative enforce the idea that it's always a viable solution is just, I don't know, kind of lazy. It means that the characters don't have to make any genuine hard choices, and that the whole trying to talk it out doesn't mean anything, because doing the 'right' thing will always work out. It's a kids show, though, so it's not unexpected, but I kind of thought that it was going for 'a show aimed at children' rather than 'a childish show'.

Take the Cluster arc. I'd have preferred for Steven to try to talk it out, and have some success convincing the Cluster, but ultimately the Cluster would be unable to prevent itself from starting to form, and Peridot would destroy it. And then Steven would cry, because it was a victim in all of this but still had to be destroyed. Then again, that might still happen. It's not like its going to stay contained for long.

I'm not sure how much of this ramble made sense, but I was just generally dissatisfied with that conclusion, though I'm kind of reserving judgement because this arc isn't over and the Cluster is still present and likely to be a plot point.
>>
File: tumblr_nrwnxrInEo1s1yyu8o1_500.png (112KB, 500x446px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nrwnxrInEo1s1yyu8o1_500.png
112KB, 500x446px
>>83424024
I hate the crew. They have the power to make this really solid cartoon, but their priorities are all wrong. Like, the most interesting shit are all the story arcs and the world building, but the staff has repeatedly said "the heart of Steven Universe is the slice of life". That's bullshit, people aren't here for Tiger Millionaire, they're here to figure out what happened to Jasper, what about the Cluster, when will Yellow Diamond show up, etc.

No one gives a shit about Lars and Sadie's dumb teen relationship when we know aliens are approaching. I don't want to see a DBZ chibi parody starring Garnet when Jasper is considered a fugitive by Yellow Diamond. But they keep pushing episodes like that as if that's what is the hook of the series. Then we end up with things like having to wait 30 episodes just for a 5 minute fight over Malachite.

I want to be super into this series and the ideas are all there, but they keep fucking up the execution and trying to make it like Clarence but with magic. Also, Matt is an idiot.
>>
>>83447531
But Steven is the most bullshit masculine character.
>>
>>83447531

that sounds like the kinda thing you do if you want a show to stick around in syndication
>>
>>83447221
>giant wall of butthurt faggotry
>completely skips that in an episode happening at the same time as the one he's whining about two giant women beat the shit out of each other

Shut the fuck up you pretentious fucking hack.
>>
>>83447615
The old TV format is slowly dying. Sure, broadcast channels might still be successful, but CN's average ratings has halved in the past four years. But streaming is up, Netflix is more popular than ever, more people are getting Hulu for "next day new episodes" rather than actually watching during the premiere time. Trying to make shows follow old-hat formulas rather than thinking of what people are doing now kills your storytelling.

>>83447664
>Sorry I hurt your feelings, Matt.
>>
>>83447531
I have never seen a single person ever ask for male gems.

People love to make fun of people who ask for male gems, but I have never seen anyone actually ask for male gems.
>>
>>83447531
1. Burnett loves to put his foot in his mouth.
2. Tiger Millionaire was a good episode.
>>
>>83447531
I hope Matt is at least getting tons of pussy with these comments. What other reason does a person have to throw their own race and gender under the bus?
>>
Stop bumping this dumb thread and stop making threads with the sme OP.
>>
>>83447531
NU
>>
>>83447664
Damn you're the one who sounds like a butthurt faggot. I slightly agree with that post. Also apparently I was banned for posting porn I never posted? That was weird, 4chan.
>>
>>83447869
>Stop repeating stuff on the internet!
There's a reason why /r9k/ exists.
>>
>>83447871
MALE
>>
>>83448040
He is an alpha nu male though. When he tells you not to talk to him or his wife's son again and you continue talking to them, you end up floored and called problematic.
>>
Basically there are two kinds of people far as I see it, when it comes to Steven himself.
Those who think he's a fucktard, I can understand why they would.
And those who think he's got a lot of heart and is pretty fantastically written.

It all seems to come down to two things, if you like characters who are incredibly sincere.
And if you watch the Pilot before the first episode.

My friend who got me into it watched the 1st episode and never watched the Pilot it took him a good 3/4 of the first series to come tpo appreciate Steven.

I watched the Pilot first and liked him from the start.
>>
>>83445183
>>83446898
Yeah, I hate to bring it up, but episodic story lines in Saturday morning cartoons have been around since the 90s, if not before. Conan the Adventurer, Pirates of Dark Water, Skeleton Warriors, Gargoyles, and Thundercats are just a few which had an overreaching storyline with clear progression between episodes.
>>
>>83447531
>Male Gems
Isn't the whole point of the gems that they don't have sexes? Or, to be more accurate, that they could make whatever body parts they want so it doesn't matter?

I'd always assumed that Opal, Garnet, and Amethyst were "female" for the sake of being surrogate mothers for Steven.
>>
>>83449007
Generally, trying to understand alien gender/sex things is going to just be a headache. Best to just roll with it.
>>
>>83449007
Gems are defined as genderless, sure, but for interpretation, it's believable doubt. They can't all be women, they're genderless! It's fine if they're together because they're not lesbians, because they're genderless!

It's basically a way for CN to get a show about lesbians past the censors while still having a progressive childrens show featuring lesbians and strong female characters. If they were genderless, then Sugar can't say her show has strong girl characters either.
>>
>>83424024
I like it when the gems break down in front of Steven's childish innocence. Like, every time I get to see Pearl fall apart as a complete piece of scum is pure diamonds. Every gem has this enormous baggage that isn't obvious at all when you watch the series the first time, but going back through old episodes it's crazy how many subtle details pop out.

For example: whenever Greg is around Amethyst shapeshifting he noticeably cringes. Early on we take this as him being weirded out by it. But in Maximum Capacity we realize he does this because Amethyst and him had a completely toxic relationship after Rose left them that involved her psychologically torturing Greg by shapeshifting into Rose.

I always liked Steven, but I appreciate him a lot more now that I see him as this unstoppable force of love for those around him. Rose combined with human nature creates the ultimate empath.

The ending credits song, which has slowly been added to by Sucrose as the show goes on (next part of the song was leaked through some Swedish recast if I remember) does a good job of explaining this.

There are obviously bad episodes, like with most western cartoons though. Let's not pretend Samurai Jack or Avatar didn't have shitty filler. I consider most Ronaldo and Postman episodes to be cancer (as do a majority of the fanbase).

I'm also a big fan of dad jokes, and SU fucking nails those.
>>
>>83424024
>How come people have different tastes than me?

How many versions of this same question get asked on here per day? Retard.
>>
>>83449098
So, how the fuck was Steven even created when Greg fornicated with Rose?
>>
>>83451064
We don't know
>>
>>83451050
>How come people can express their opinon

Fuck off tumblr faggot
>>
>>83451064
Rose did a complete system reboot and developed a new self which took elements from Greg.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.