[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale oft

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: PbZHqRR.jpg (97KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
PbZHqRR.jpg
97KB, 1024x768px
>Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale often figures on lists of the greatest Batman books ever written, and is frequently touted as one of the first books anyone wanting to get into Batman should read. It is a book that, bafflingly, has a lot of fans which I can only attribute to new readers to Batman/comics reading it and, having little to compare it to, believe they’ve read something great. That or the many fans claiming this as one of the greatest Batman books of all time simply have no taste! Either way, it is definitely a very poor Batman book whose acclaimed status also makes it the most overrated Batman book ever.

http://whatculture.com/superheroes/7-reasons-why-batman-the-long-halloween-is-the-most-overrated-batman-book-ever

Well? Do you agree with this? I think it has some good points honestly.
>>
>>83234510
>whatculture
Who?
>>
>>83234510
To be fair, was one of the last decent batman detective comics, that really had some real detective lore

I like the transition, the art is very whanky sometimes, the characters personalities are simple but memorable, the serious stuff affects very well. Despise being wacky, Is one of few comics that really made me like Harvey Dent. And i still think it holds up pretty well
>>
File: dismissive.png (205KB, 501x445px) Image search: [Google]
dismissive.png
205KB, 501x445px
>>83234510
>Another literally who telling me I should hate this good comic because liking things causes them physical pain
>>
>>83234510
/co/ hates popular things so this is probably hated here too
>>
I'm not giving them a click and I doubt many others will
What are their points
>>
He takes it a little far

But that doesn't stop Long Halloween from being a bad Mystery that follows the same formula that all Jeph Loeb comics do.

It doesn't deserve the status it has at all.
>>
>>83234510
TLH is overrated for the simple fact the mystery goes unsolved by everyone at the end. But, Year One is the most overrated Batman comic ever.
>>
>>83235610
Mazzucchelli and that period Miller is stronger than any claims of overrated you want to throw.
>>
>>83234510
>>83235491

7. The Shameless Plagiarism Of The Godfather
6. The Awful Character Designs
5. The Pointlessness Of Batman’s Rogues
4. The Dumb Holiday Killer Reveal #1
3. The Dumbest Holiday Killer Reveal #2
2. The Unending Nonsense And Confusion
1. The “Epic Tragedy” That Wasn’t
>>
>>83235650
Look, Year One is great, but it does not belong in every god damn recommendation for Batman. Especially when every single piece of it has been so imbedded within every retelling of Batman that it is completely redundant to bother telling someone they should read it.

Have you ever seen any depiction of Batman'r origin? Congrats you've read Year One without having to even look at a page.

It's a piece of history for sure but it is not some holy text of must read work. It's not even Miller's best piece either.
>>
>>83235673
It's pretty much /co/''s laundry list of complaints for the comic.
>>
>>83235752
Nothing you are saying is wrong, but the fact that Miller and Mazz tell it better than everyone is not something you should just throw out.

It is worth it for the Mazz art alone.
>>
File: Naw, man.jpg (18KB, 376x374px) Image search: [Google]
Naw, man.jpg
18KB, 376x374px
>>83235673
>"Shameless plagiarism of X"
Can safely stop him there and tell him he has no worth critiquing anything. There's not an original thought left on earth these days and everything is a blatant ripoff of something else. Even the Godfather is more than guilty of this. It just reeks of someone desperate to find fault.

No one fucking cares if something rips anything off. The question is does it do it WELL?
>>
>>83235752
Its a decent Gordon story though.
>>
>>83235824
shouldn't
>>
>>83235824
I'm not saying just throw it out. I'm saying it doesn't need to be the first thing people ever read.

>>83235858
Damn right it is.
>>
>>83235918
There aren't that many Batman comics I would tell people to read, that is just one of them that actually makes the list.
>>
>>83234510
I don't think it's overrated at all, I do think Dark Victory is very underrated though
>>
I consider Long Halloween, Dark Victory and Hush to be essentially the same, in that they manage to get the mood and atmosphere of Batman incredibly right and then use that to coast the rest of the way over all the giant gaping plot holes, inconsistencies and terrible villains.
>>
I feel that out of the Batman stories I've read, this is by far the weakest. Despite this, I still feel there is a lot to love with this story between the detective work which is really appealing to me and Tim Sale's killer art.
>>
>>83235752
Year One is my favorite Miller story outside of his Daredevil run.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.