[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys I'm really sorry to have to do this, but I didn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: marvel[1].jpg (508KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
marvel[1].jpg
508KB, 1920x1080px
Guys I'm really sorry to have to do this, but I didn't see a sticky I could read like on /fit/ or on /o/.

I'm sure you get bombarded with clueless people like me all the time, but how do I get started with comics? Primarily interested in Marvel, DC characters don't interest me a bunch but if there's something spectacular I need to read feel free to suggest it. Also I'd like to get into some alternative stuff like The Watchmen, The Nightly News, and Halo series comics but that's self explanatory.

I read online that companies make an "omnibus" but those are really expensive and I can't afford to drop that much money into this hobby just yet. The local library has a good selection, but it's all so intimidating I don't even know what I'm looking at

-T. Blog poster
I'm gonna go to the gym I'll check back in a few hours
>>
This is like asking how to get into a TV network. Without knowing what you like we can't just blindly suggest stuff. Do you want sci-fi, magic, space, Earth-based stories, something else? We have no idea how to steer you toward things you might like. There are good stories and good starting places for specific characters but you have to give us something to work with.
>>
>>82829683
Pirate shit.

Do you only wanna read current stuff or are you down with older comics?
>>
>reading comics

not even once.
>>
Pretty much this >>82829762 Even letting us know a character that interests you would help. Or maybe pose a more specific question. And we don't know what's in your library either so we might not be able to suggest anything from there, but I'd recommend try anything that catches your fancy from there. Don't let continuity and backstory intimidate you.

Also, you could always prate some stuff and buy later.
>>
>>82829683
Like these
>>82829762
>>82829960
guys said, we don't really know what you're looking for, and we don't know what you're library has. Personally, I'd say start reading all the classic stuff. Marvel has "Essential" volumes for their big characters and teams. Fantastic Four, X-Men, Spider-Man, the Avengers and their solo books. All their original runs are pretty good or decent. Just work your way up. You don't have to read every thing that's ever been written to be a fan, just read what your library has, read what looks interesting to you. That's what I did. Probably 8-% of the comics I've read were from libraries.
>>
Think of someone you'd think would be cool to read about. Look up a list of their bigger works (i.e. Green Lantern has Rebirth/Sinestro Corps War, Batman has Killing Joke, Daredevil has the Benis run or Born Again) and just find some a torrent for that legally acquired comic then read it. It ain't hard friend.
>>
>>82829683
http://comraderecs.tumblr.com/archive/filter-by/photo
>>
>>82829683
>How do I get started with music?

Like, come on, man.
>>
File: 1400062638860.jpg (226KB, 1212x1731px) Image search: [Google]
1400062638860.jpg
226KB, 1212x1731px
>>82829683
>>
Hey guys OP again, just wanted to apologize for the lack of info in the original post you all have good points.

Sadly, the only characters I'm familiar with are the mainstream ones. In particular, I think I'd be interested in Captain America, and the Fantastic Four. I've read a decent bit of Spiderman before, so I think I'd like to try something different.

The avengers seems like it would be cool, I guess Iron man is neat.

I'm NOT especially interested in the X men. I've tried to read a few from the public library years ago and they didn't grab me.

That being said, I'd also like to find out more about the lesser known characters. Which ones do you think I'd like based on these heroes?

As for Genre: I like a variety. Space/sci fi is interesting. I generally don't like settings that are TOO nitty gritty. Think Punisher, for instance. I enjoyed whatever Spiderman I read years ago because you get the realism of a dirty city, with some nice vibrant color of the heroes.
>>
>>82833694
OP, I'm fairly casual and I only got into comics because of the movies too. I've found that comics are kind of a momentum thing. Like as you get more familiar with characters and stories you start enjoying other ones more. Like, I'll read a comic about a character I like and then I start to get an idea of other characters that might appear in that comic. And when I start to like them I can go and read more comics that feature them.

Sorry I can't really give you more advice since I'm pretty new to it too. I just tend to lurk /co/ for storytimes of comics that look interesting or that I've heard are good, and I've found that I enjoy it more and more as I read more. If it helps, anons are usually willing to suggest some good recommended readings for specific characters.
>>
File: fantastic Four reading list.jpg (1MB, 1200x911px) Image search: [Google]
fantastic Four reading list.jpg
1MB, 1200x911px
>>82833694
>and the Fantastic Four.
You, I like. For a new reader, I'd recommend:
>Lee/Kirby's Fantastic Four (the original run. Warning, it's 50 years old at this point so it might be best to skip this and come back to it later once you've dipped your toes into the medium a bit more. A lot of people have trouble reading those old comics.)
>Byrne's Fantastic Four (Bronze Age, so similar problem to Lee/Kirby where its a bit dated, but less so)
>Waid's Fantastic Four
>Ultimate Fantastic Four (kind of a modern reimagining. Kinda falls apart at the end, but has a strong start)
>Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF

I know a lot of people didn't care about the F4 until after reading Hickman's run, so I'd say that might actually be the best place to start. It's skipping a lot of stuff, but I think diving into the deep end is the best way to do it. Pic related is the reading order for Hickman's FF/F4, since it does get a bit hard to follow.

So my recommendation is read pic related, then if you liked that, go back and read Ultimate F4 if you want an alternate universe take on the F4, Lee/Kirby if you want to go all the way back to the beginning, Byrne if you want to read classic stories without going as far back as Lee/Kirby, and Waid if you want something "modern" but with a more traditional feel.
>>
>>82829683
>Primarily interested in Marvel, DC characters don't interest me a bunch
why? There are literally no good Marvel books.

>The Watchmen
That's DC

Read Swamp Thing and Animal Man.
>>
File: Avengers Reading List.jpg (2MB, 940x4545px) Image search: [Google]
Avengers Reading List.jpg
2MB, 940x4545px
>>82834319
And if you liked Hickman's run and wanted to give more of his work a try, a lot of plotpoints from his F4/FF then get followed up on by his Avengers/New Avengers run. Reading order for that is pic related.

His Avengers/New Avengers isn't quite as good, but it also has a FUCK HUGE roster of characters so at the very least, you'll be introduced to a lot of characters that you might otherwise have never been exposed to.
>>
>>82833694
Xmen are Marvel's best books though?
>>
>>82834414
No? Claremont's Uncanny X-men/New Mutants/Excalibur and Morrison's New X-men aside, most of the x-men books are pretty fucking bad.

If you're going by consistency of high quality stories, Daredevil would be Marvel's best books. If you're going by which franchise has the best overall books, most of Marvel's best books aren't franchise specific (Marvels, Earth-X) or are more one-offs. Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme for example is arguably the best Marvel comic ever.

If anything, I'd say Marvel's best books are either Daredevil for how consistently great it was since Miller (minus a couple luls in the 90s and mid-00s) or the "cosmic" books (Death of Captain Marvel, the Infinity Saga, Starlin's Warlock, Ron Lim's Silver Surfer, Annihilation).

And if you're basing it off of their best current output, well, the X-line is fucking awful right now with only one good book out of 8.

I love the X-men but to say that they're Marvel's "best books" is just wrong.
>>
>>82834802
You can't count current output. All Marvel's current books are bottom of the barrel.
>>
>>82834933
>All Marvel's current books are bottom of the barrel.
Not really. That's just a meme. They have about as many good books now as they've had for years. I get the impression it's just people who are just now getting into comics, seeing that most of it is garbage, then assuming that this is a recent development.

The majority of Marvel comics have been bad since around 1987. That doesn't invalidate all the good comics that are coming out too.
>>
>>82833694
OP let me tell you how I got into them.

I started off downloading a Deadpool collection from a torrent and using a .cbr reader to read the files about 7 years ago.

If you want to get started with comics then find some torrents and download some issues. If you like it then you'll slowly get into trades I guess.
>>
>>82829683
The thing with current Marvel is they reboot every six months or so. You shouldn't have too much trouble just picking up titles that interest you starting with the most recent number 1.

Currently I'm enjoying
Nova
Ms Marvel
Hawkeye
ANAD Avengers

Also if you like Spidey look into the recent Superior Foes of Spider-Man
>>
>>82835352
>The thing with current Marvel is they reboot every six months or so
You have no idea what a reboot is.

DC rebooted twice. Marvel never rebooted.

What you're thinking of is a relaunch.
>>
>>82829683
Go through recommendations
Then use this
http://readcomiconline.me/
>>
>>82834392
>>82834319
Saved both of these images, thank you so much Anon I'm looking forward to Hickmans FF.

>>82834109
>>82835114
Thank you to you two for the insight, It's appreciated,

>>82836357
Added to my favorites, thank you sir
>>
File: U 6-10.jpg (471KB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
U 6-10.jpg
471KB, 1988x3056px
>>82829683
Read Ultimates.
And Vision I guess.
>>
>>82833694
read some stan lee era 60's marvel. its cheesy but focus on the characters. pick a character or team that interests you..

fantastic four #1
amazing fantasy #15 (spider-man)
amazing spider-man #1
strange tales #110 (doctor strange)
x-men #1
journey into mystery #83 (thor)
avengers #1
avengers #4 (capt america)
daredevil #1
>>
>wanna get into comics because muh movies
>pick up some #1s from the latest line-wide relaunch, get super into 2 or 3 of them
>start frequenting /co/ just so I can see what storytime threads are happening today and what other comics are worth getting super in to
>make mental notes on cool sounding stories and eras to check out later based on whatever character history I stumble across
>find several comic download sites
>read some stuff from the past 10 years featuring characters I like
>read older, more iconic stories of the characters I like
>eventually end up going whole hog and reading fucking EVERYTHING chronologically for the characters I like
A little over 3 years later and I'm all comiced out. Just have to keep up with the latest weekly output.
Hope my life's story helps.
>>
>>82829683
>hey guys where do I start with comics?
>I mean I only really care about Marlel but where do I start with comics?
Faggot.
>>
>>82839576
get out indiefag no-one cares
>>
>>82840145
>drone can't even spell
I'd say I'm surprised but that would be a filthy lie.
>>
>>82839576
You know, you didn't actually contribute anything. If you're so upset why don't you enlighten OP?
>>
Hey guys is 2002 Captain America worth a read? By Rieber and Cassaday.

Should I just skip into Brubaker?
>>
>>82834802
X books have more good stuff than most other ones, you are right that daredevil is the exception. There are just a lot of x books so while there is a lot of great stuff there is a lot of shit.
>>
>>82835352
>The thing with current Marvel is they reboot every six months
Never rebooted once.

And your taste is bad. Vision is the best marvel book and maybe the best ongoing right now
>>
Firstly, install Gentoo Linux after deleting the system 32 file folder. While that's installing, listen to In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel. After you've completed the prerequisites, you'll be fully prepared to start with the Greeks.
>>
Read a major crossover event like Civil War then start reading all the big titles like Avengers/X-Men that come out after it, so much changes afterwords it's like starting anew.
>>
>>82842330
Worst advice ever
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.