[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was fire considered and element? Isn't it more acurate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

Why was fire considered and element?
Isn't it more acurate to say it's a chemical reaction?
You can put water/air/earth in a container in it stays like that but not fire...

So why?

ITT: post Avatar, I guess...
>>
>>82542424
You might be surprised to find out, that the four elements as presented in Avatar is actually a cliche. Everything in Avatar is derived from a cliche, put in for cliche's sake.
>>
>>82542424
Old timey people were retards.
>>
>>82542470
In their defense their attempts to categorize and compare things lead to better understanding down the road even if it was initially misunderstood.
>>
>>82542457
Well sure but the other elements make some kind of sense.
Air is viable because oxygen is common, with water there's hydrogen, earth might be either carbon somehing, but fire...
>>
>>82542424
The people who came up with the element concept also thought that Bad Smells made you sick.
>>
>>82542532
IT'S A CLICHE.

THEY DIDN'T PUT THAT MUCH THOUGHT INTO IT.
>>
>>82542635
alright fine jeeeezz...
>>
>>82542424
Look up Aristotle.
>>
>>82542635
>cliche
>not a myth
?
>>
>>82542532
>Implying
Those aren't elements. Those are molecules. Even oxygen is a Dioxide.
>>
>>82542698
>myth
>not ancient grecian thought
?
>>
Because Fire is better than Water, Air, or Earth.
>>
>>82542737
>ancient greece
>not a myth created by Jewish historians
?
>>
>>82542765
Hi /pol/
>>
>>82542424
Would you rather have blood, yellow bile, black bile, and phlegm?
>>
>>82542424
Because Fire ppwers are cool. It will be boring to have Oxigen powers and "combustion" doesn't sound as cool.
>>
>>82543141
>Combustion
>not as cool

You can shoot explosions out of your brain.
>>
>>82542765
That doesn't even make a lick of sense, either as bad bait or as a shitty meme. It's not even mildly clever or chuckle-worthy in the normal /pol/ sense.
>>
>>82542532
>Air is viable because oxygen is common, with water there's hydrogen, earth might be either carbon somehing, but fire...
Hydrogen and hydrogen dioxide are very, VERY different things. To say water is approximately an element because hydrogen is an element takes a tremendous amount of rounding on your part.
Following on this, Air is mostly nitrogen, not oxygen, and earth mostly comprised of various salt combinations.
Literally none of them can approximated to any single element.
>>
>>82542424
its magic
>>
>>82542424
The elements aren't based on actual 'elements'. The table, and Elements are unrelated.
>>
>>82543167
Yeah but is not as flashy and regal as having control over flames. It's like the power of killing people with your mind. It's insanely OP but boring as fuck.
>>
>>82542424
How did Avatar fuck up something as simple as the four basic elements?

Everyone knows they're Earth, Wind, Fire, and Air.
>>
>>82542457
>>82542635
It's not a cliche, it's ancient Greek philosophy and thought concerning the composition of the cosmos. The four elements are a critical aspect of the basis of the forefather to modern science and rational thought.
>>
>>82543729
>listing air and wind as 2 elements even though it's the same thing

Pretty poor bait anon. But just in case you somehow are labouring under the misconception that you're right, you actually aren't.

The ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle proposed that all things in the world are composed of Earth, Wind/Air, Water and Fire, with Aether/Quintessence as a fifth intangible element.
>>
>>82542424
Both fire and lightning generate plasma, the 4th state of matter.

All of the elements have their own inconsistencies.
Water doesn't have an animal bender.
Earth has a dozen different subsets.
Everyone from the Air Nation was an airbender. It's because they tested their kids by throwing them off cliffs.
>>
I find it odd they went with the 4 classic Greek elements instead of the 5 Chinese elements.
>>
So am I the only who thinks that korra and assami didn;t go full lesbo at the end and just went on that trip?
>>
>>82542424
The "classic" elements amounted to earth, fire, air, and water. Which translates into "solid matter", "energy", "gasses", and "liquid matter"

>>82543954
>>82544011
>>82544129
>>82543303
These guys get it.
>>
>>82542424
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_element
Fucking uneducated faggots.
>>
>>82544154
It's just one example of how the show was incredibly shallow when it comes to appropriating oriental themes.
See: "balance".
>>
>>82544589

>>82544011 didn't get it. He didn't get it at all.
>>
Wow. Threads like these make me realise how poorly educated many people must really be. It's weird to realise that things you believe are common knowledge are perhaps actually not.
>>
>>82542424
because it's based on ancient fairytales and myth from gooklands and not actual science retard
>>
>>82544675
Why not? If listing Wind and Air but not water was a joke then I am missing the humor. If it's a reference to something in particular I'm curious as to what it is, so I can look into it.
>>
>>82544707
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P_BlUY2eF4
1:55 for the reference
Enjoy your new waifus
>>
>>82544707
It's a scoobydoo song or something similar, if I recall. But you weren't wrong about the 4 classical elements, just missed a relatively obscure reference.
>>
File: 1451199369428.jpg (10KB, 140x200px) Image search: [Google]
1451199369428.jpg
10KB, 140x200px
>>82544724
>>
>>82542424
Because fire is the fourth state of matter.

Look closely at the four elements and you'll see that they also represent the four states of matter:

Earth=Solid
Water=Liquid
Air=Gas
Fire=Plasma
>>
>>82546428
Fire isn't plasma. It can produce plasma, but it usually doesn't.
>>
>>82542457
Pretty much. It's why a giant rock's gravitational pull makes waterbenders stronger and a thing made of ice orbitating the earth makes firebenders stronger.
>>
>>82542744
Ozai, pls
>>
>>82546768
Comets don't orbit planets
>>
>>82543954
Five elements. There's also aether.
>>
>>82546745
You also can't classify it as the others.

Plasma is as close as you'll get. Plus the whole lightning thing.
>>
>>82546807

Sozin's Comet has apparently been returning every 100 years for a long time now, so I'd say its definitely under that planets gravitational influence.
>>
File: periodic table.png (79KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
periodic table.png
79KB, 1440x1080px
I'd like an Avatar-like show where people bend the modern elements. I guess some of them might be pretty OP though.
>>
>>82543203
>he thinks normal /pol/ is mildly clever or chuckle-worthy
>>
File: korrafinale[1].jpg (47KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
korrafinale[1].jpg
47KB, 630x420px
Plasma thrusters when?
>>
>>82542424
Its always been an element.
The Chinese considered wood and metal elements as well. Dont think they counted air.
>>
fire is the best element
>>
>>82547195
Fullmetal Alchemist, more or less.
>>
>>82547367
Air > Water > Earth >>> Fire
>>
>>82547195
Seikon no qwaser
I warned you.
>>
>>82542424
Why is air considered an element?
Isn't it more accurate to say it is many elements together?
or is it the difference in pressure that is considered "an element" to them?
>>
>>82549012
objectively wrong. Fire (with lightning) can easily defeat water, air and metalbending.

bloodbending can easily be overpowered with force of will according to LoK.

air literally doesn't have anything good to escape lightning

water will just get fucked with lightning

arguably, there is earth, but even then it is much slower than firebending.
>>
>>82542424
cuz is a fucking cartoon?
>>
>>82542424
>Why was fire considered and element?
Because people in that fictional universe could bend it.
>>
>>82546745
airbender was based on classical thought my dude, it's a story. If you want to get scientific on a cartoon show maybe you should ask why they can shoot lightning out their asses because magic doesn't exist in reality.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.