[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Telling a professor "Fuck you" ten minutes into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 669
Thread images: 60

File: sfp-6-39-for-web.png (508KB, 775x1144px) Image search: [Google]
sfp-6-39-for-web.png
508KB, 775x1144px
>Telling a professor "Fuck you" ten minutes into your first class with them
>>
>>82177812
she's a pretty unlikable person
which is kind of the point
>>
>>82177812
What's the context of this? Is it as stupid as this one page makes it out to be?
>>
>>82177812
Give her a break, guy just tricked her into failing the class.
>>
Wait, what happened beforehand?
>>
File: 1433525937692.jpg (252KB, 750x1102px) Image search: [Google]
1433525937692.jpg
252KB, 750x1102px
>>82177812
Fuck, their art really is one step forward two steps back. I don't even care about the comic's agenda, it's just become really unenjoyable to read all around.
>>
>>82177812
This comic is still being updated? All I remember is that Wolverine regenerating chick who was donating all her organs over and over.
>>
>>82178075
It looks like he failed her for personal reasons and then said it's her fault that he doesn't like her.
>>
>>82177812
wait, so she lost a game and get a failing grade...?
I need more context here.
>>
>>82177989
>>82178184
>context in a thread meant for shitposting
And ruin OP's master plan?
And no, its not all dumb. Its all pretty varying quality but it has some high points. Its pretty dividing among people
Strong Female Protagonist
>>
>>82178223
>it's not at all dumb
Are you sure?
>>
>>82178152
that's not what happened at all.
>>
>>82178267
What did happened?
>>
>>82178184
Teacher wanted to show SFP was a tyrant.
He set up a game. Everybody gets two stones, black and white. Three rules:
1) people who choose the white stone pass the class automatically
2) people who choose the black stone fail the class automatically
3) however! if everybody chooses the same color, everybody passes
Teacher then removes white stone from a random student. The only way everybody passes is if everybody chooses black stone.

SFP claims everybody will stick together and choose black stone.
Result: Everybody chooses white stone except for SFP.
Something something SFP is a tyrant.
>>
>>82178408
That's retarded
>>
Ugh. This comic is about people being born important and trying to put in the work after the fact for self-validation and peer approval.

How can anyone read this pretentious tripe?
>>
>>82178408
Sounds like everyone is a time-wasting asshole and there's no point in reading the comic.
>>
>>82178408
The correct option is to choose neither.

You won't get an automatic and undeserved pass or fail. You will instead be measured by your own accomplishments. Everyone else can pick the white stone for an easy pass if they lack the strength of conviction.
>>
Hey it's the comic that acts like it's a bold and radical take on Superheroes but is instead a pretentious SOL comic.
>>
>>82177812
did david willis write this?
>>
>>82178672
alternatively: cheat
the teacher has already stooped to that level
>>
>>82178828
Yeah, take your bottle of white-out and paint your black stone white. Everyone chooses white, everybody wins.
>>
>>82178408
What reason did anyone have to not all choose the black stone?
>>
>>82178980
It's in the OP.
>>
>>82177812
I would literally start a physical fight with my professor if this happened. I have it all played out in my head. I'd autistically fumble my lines for sure, but I wouldn't be able to help myself from the actual violence part, this makes me so mad.

It'd probably go down as a hate crime since the guy's Indian though.
>>
>>82177812
>elected to receive

was the game voluntary?
if not the "fuck you" was mild

did you hide the actual game untill after they agreed?
if the rules where hidden the agreement is void
>>
>>82178408
He automatically passed or failed everyone on the first day of class? And he failed one student at random?

He's gonna say he didn't really mean it, right?
>>
>>82178980
Likely because they don't trust the other students to all choose the black stone; which is entirely reasonable, someone may choose a white stone, either for the reasons in the OP, or for more malicious reasons. Of course, the possibility of that happening is increased since ANYONE in the class could potentially have that train of thought, and think "I have to secure my position."

Granted, the idea that a professor would use this game as a final exam that entirely determines whether you pass the class or fail it is utterly fucking ridiculous, even for a comic. An old Math professor of mine liked to do thought experiments like this, and that's all they should be- thought experiments.
>>
>>82178258
Eh, I'd say it's 95 percent dumb. Some of the shit with the mentalist mastermind boyfriend has been ok.

>>82178825
Imagine WIllis with an actual college education.

>>82178828
Kirk approved.
>>
The Prisoner's Dilemma doesn't work when EVERYONE CAN COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER
>>
>>82178980
Because of rational choice. No matter what anyone else chooses, you don't benefit any more by choosing black over white, so you choose the much less risky option
>>
>>82179205
The author of this comic is a retard who didn't understand that
>>
>>82179219
the downside is retribution from the damaged party

social animals work better for a reason
>>
No one in this thread would be bitching if the protagonist was male.
>>
Why are you all so buttmad?
>>
>>82179205
Yeah it does. It easily does.

The prisoner's dilemma is all about choosing higher self reward on the possible assumption that the actions of others would harm any joint action.

It's something you can see in life all the time, people will act in self serving ways and justify it with "others were doing it" or "I didn't want to be the one left out/taken advantage of".

The prisoner's dilemma works with communication because it assumes a lack of 100% trust.
>>
File: VLR-610-dio.jpg (47KB, 610x343px) Image search: [Google]
VLR-610-dio.jpg
47KB, 610x343px
>>82178408
>You're going to choose "ally", right?
>>
ITT: fuck you, i'm saving myself because I worked too damn hard to fall now
>>
>>82179322
Why is this comic so pretentious?
>>
>>82179415
What's the pretense?
>>
>>82179300
No one would be reading in the first place. The MC being female is nothing more than a plot hook. It's in the damn title for christ's sake.

So it's either a comic for no one, or a comic for people to get mad at. Either way does that sound like the model of a good comic to you?
>>
File: pick ally.gif (507KB, 500x392px) Image search: [Google]
pick ally.gif
507KB, 500x392px
>>82179376
this is also how I feel about this comic
>>
This is that edgy Tumblr superhero comic, right?

To me, this just illustrates how tired the genre is. It's deconstructions of reimaginings of reboots of alternate realities. It seems like everyone is always looking for new ways to vitalize the genre, or to say something "important" about it. And in that light, it's just so fucking laughable to tack Tumblr politics onto superheroes, and just call it a day. It isn't smart, it doesn't add anything to the base material, and it's really nothing more than a soapbox for the author's idealism.

You might as well make a black supremacist capes comic where only black people receive superpowers. And they are doing so as we speak.
>>
>>82179271
>the downside is retribution from the damaged party

Only if it's revealed to them what your choice was.
>>
>>82179446
Its not a bad comic though (well, its hit and miss for arcs), the point is that she's super fallible and the title is a joke
>>
What would Kaiji do?

Zawa for a while and go beat up everyone and steal their stones and throw them away
>>
>>82179444
That the self-insert truly believes everyone else is as smart as her. She gets offended when she finds out that it is untrue.

We see this all the time with politics and society.
>>
>>82179444
The whole Superheroes don't actually do anything except eliminate all crime because they're corporate puppets so the most worthwhile thing the strongest superhero could with her life is go to college.
>>
>>82178408
the correct answer is to tell the dean some crazy-ass professor is arbitrarily failing people based off of an irrelevant "experiemnet"
>>
>>82179235
Nah, you do understand it. The prisoner's dilemma is supposed to represent why people take actions that are beneficial for the individual but at the cost of the group.

The prisoner set up with no communication is just to exemplify the game theory aspect of it, but it isn't necessary.

The whole point of this thing with "the axiom of a tyrant" is to prove to the main character that her ideals are unrealistic and impossible.

If you read the comic, she quits being a hero because she doesn't think small acts of heroism are worth it... she wants to actually change the world.

Her teacher is showing her that there is no universal "we" or group desire. She want's to help everyone, but the idea of "everyone" as a collective will is impossible. Cohesion is a hard thing, so showing her that forging ahead with the morals based on "we are in this together" is actually just a fancy way of justifying her actions.

She doesn't speak for anyone but herself, but she loves to try and act like/simulate the idea that she is helping everyone.
>>
>>82179498
And in this example it was

also even if it wasn't there would still be reprisals
>>
>>82179525
It isn't about being smart, its about being naive enough to think everyone will put another's best interest before or even on the same level as their own.

In fact, this page makes a mockery of that thinking. Now, in the next page, if it turns out that the professor tells everyone with a white stone on the table that they make the world worse just by living in it and SFP is the only one in the room with any potential, that would be pretense.
>>
>financial aid
>wouldn't be fair to my parents
THIS IS A CONTRADICTION
IF YOU ARE ON FINANCIAL AID THEN YOUR PARENTS AREN'T PAYING FOR IT BECAUSE THEY ARE FUCKING POOR
Seriously, these days you can only get FA from being from a pretty low income household. If they did have anything to do with her getting in its not financially.
>>
>>82179532
For a lot of them it's true though.

When supervillains exist, sure.

But this comic is set in a world where supervillains were actually defeated... because the military stepped in and people actually stay locked up. Or they get killed because "resisting arrest" is kinda a common supervillain move (and it is met with lethal force in many occasions).

So in a world without supervillains, what do you need superheroes for? Fighting? No.

She's a hero who only knew how to fight.

Mr. Fantastic would do a lot more good for the world (and does) with his inventions.

Batman does more good (outside of random save the world events with supervillains) for Gotham as a businessman who helps support the local economy.
>>
>>82179644
If she fails the course she loses her financial aid. If she wanted to continue going to classes after that, it would likely be her parents who foot the bill.
>>
>>82179572
So...the protagonist has flaws? And is a woman?

No wonder you guys hate it.
>>
>>82178408
I don't understand.

Was the main character the one who had the white stone taken? If so she didn't elect to fail, she had it forced on her. If not, how could she be the only one to choose black? Or did the teacher lie about taking a random white stone?
>>
>>82178408
>Something something SFP is a tyrant.
The conclusion of the experiment - as you'd have worked out if you were paying the least bit of attention - is that the only way to get everyone to do something that is not in their interests but serves the greater good is to force them to.

SFP gave a big speech about how everyone would or should or does pull together when needed. Her professor wanted to make the point that
a) they don't
b) the only way to /ensure/ that they do is to force them

Hence, "a tyrant's philosophy". Hence, the experiment.
>>
>>82179525
It has nothing to do with intelligence.
>>
Why didn't they just decide amongst themselves to all choose white? It would have expressed unity and been the safe bet.
Why am I talking like I understand? What is the source?
>>
>>82178980
Lets put this in real life terms.

>Prof says he'll pass you if you pick white or if everyone picks black.
>You fail if at least one faggot picks white when you black pilled
>Prof auto fails some random normie fag you don't even know (bonus points if you're /pol/ racist)
> Now have choice to ace class and focus on harder ones or fail and waste thousands of dollars.
>If you pick black better hope nobody hates this faggot or is just a troll
>Alternatively, pick white, call it a day, and never have to deal with this douche bag who probably would have given shit tons of homework for a bullshit non STEM class anyways

The better question is why pick black?
>>
>>82179615
I did find the comic, and in the pages before it (page 38), other students explain they didn't fully understand the outcome but made a decision for that moment

one guy said he was for himself and didn't bother listening to the rest
>>
>>82179726
There weren't enough white stones to all choose white.
>>
>>82179704
>If not, how could she be the only one to choose black?
It wasn't her stone that was taken. She just assumed everybody would take black, to save themselves as a group. However, everybody took the selfish option.
>>
File: sfp-6-38-for-web.png (481KB, 775x1144px) Image search: [Google]
sfp-6-38-for-web.png
481KB, 775x1144px
>>82179725
>>
>>82178980
What reason did anyone have to choose the black stone? If I pick the white one, I automatically succeed. If I pick the black one, I only succeed if /everyone else/ picks the black one. All it takes is one person who didn't listen to the rules, or didn't want to risk it, or just plain wanted to fuck everyone else over for shits and giggles.

Of course I'm going to pick white.

>>82179029
>I would literally start a physical fight with my professor if this happened.
If what? If he put together an experiment and you got buttflustered about the results? Philosophy 101 probably isn't for you, anon.

It's not like anyone's actually getting an autopass - that's solidly illegal. This was just to make a point.
>>
>>82179704
She was the only one to choose black because she assumed everyone else would choose black (that is, she assumed everyone would work together so that everyone passes). Instead, everyone picked the "selfish" option.
>>
>>82179700
> a student who cares about her grade loosing FA from failing one class

no i'm sorry but its fucking retarded no matter how you slice it
>>
>>82179726
Start here
http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-6/page-33-4/
>>
>>82179644
Scholarships are defined as a form of financial aid anon, even if they aren't as commonly called financial aid.
>>
If I left the class and erased my signature from the atendance sheet so it looked like I was absent that day, would I be safe?
>>
Only a fucking autistic person would choose black.
There is no reason for anyone not to choose white because who cares if some other schmuck fails a class?
Is that all there is to this tumblr comic?
>>
>>82179793
But how could everybody do it? Based on the setup, someone else didn't have a white stone, right? Or did they draw from a pool of stones?
>>
>>82179831
>>82179793
Thats fucking stupid, and wrong

>>82178408
>Teacher then removes white stone from a random student.
the teacher did take her white stone
>>
>>82179698
>wouldn't it be neat if Supherheroes did nothing but bitch and moan
>>
>>82179881
>Thats fucking stupid, and wrong
How?

>the teacher did take her white stone
No, he took John's.
>>
>>82179797
>Well this is just completely stupid
The realization sets in
>>
File: sfp-6-37-for-web.png (558KB, 775x1144px) Image search: [Google]
sfp-6-37-for-web.png
558KB, 775x1144px
>>82179881
>the teacher did take her white stone
Nope. It's even in OP's pic.
> I knew it wasn't fair to John
>>
Why isn't this teacher fired? Are teachers actually allowed to do this?
>>
>>82179875
"Everybody" refers to everyone who actually had a choice.
>>
I am assuming for the sake of sanity that he isnt really going to fail anyone
>>
>>82179924
>john's
fuck miswrote that
>>
>>82178123

And what good did that do? For being a comic about really changing the world with supers, this action specifically changed nothing and was absolutely unnecessary.
>>
>>82179881
No, teacher took the white stone of a random guy.

She was the only one who picked black to try and save him, but two student's "chose" black

Go back and read it if you are going to try and actually argue about it.
>>
>>82179905
Make it more obvious that you're a retard.
>>
>>82179924
Yeah, I get it now. The previous explanation said that she was the only person with a black stone, which is not true.
>>
This is what happens when /co/ talks about a comic they've never read.
>>
>>82179942
That spineless puss.

Why is Main McCharacter the only one saying anything in this class? Are all characters besides MC and sensei completely superfluous?
>>
>>82177812
>>82179797
>>82179942

dear god this is shitty writing.

So everyone in the class but [protagonist] is a fucking retard, and we're taking 3 pages of a retarded situation to explain basic game theory.

This is retarded on all fronts.
>>
>>82179763
>other students explain they didn't fully understand the outcome
And that's fucking realistic. You think everyone in a Psychology 101 class is going to hang on every word the professor says? On the first day? A handful of them are probably high as fuck and hear "get an automatic A in the class" and check the fuck out.

Have you ever been to college anon? Or public school for that matter?
>>
>>82179905
Very few do in this comic though. It's just a vocal whining majority.

There's a woman who can heal any injury (basically deadpool but not diseased) and she decided to basically constantly be used as an organ donor.

Others are providing inventions and transitioned into civilian life. The guy who used to head up the "justice league" decided to stop playing pretend and use his size powers to help with nano-tech and fusion research.

The ones that are bitching and moaning are the ones who are only good at hitting things (in a world where there is nothing to hit anymore).

She just doesn't know what the fuck to do with herself.
>>
>>82179956
Well he just demonstrated the folly of placing trust in others. So why should they now trust him?
>>
>>82177812
>>82179797

Jesus Christ. This is so retarded. Go and talk to the headmaster about this idiocy, that's how you fix shit in the real world. This is so dumb it pisses me of.
>>
File: do it faggot.png (167KB, 271x396px) Image search: [Google]
do it faggot.png
167KB, 271x396px
>>82180028
Enlighten us on this work's finer points, in that case.
>>
>>82179991
How can you justify this lackluster setting?
>>
>>82179300
This is my post: >>82179497

I tried reading it. I have a soft spot for strong female protagonists, especially if they are androgynous tomboys. But this comic is preachy since page one, and I didn't read much beyond it, save the later pages that I also read, that showed me it wasn't going to stop being preachy.

One simple rule I like to maintain is that something must make me think, not tell me what to think. One of the first pages is her getting hit by a bus, and rolling her eyes at the people complaining about the damage. We're meant to sympathise with her, but it fails to explain why she isn't at fault. I mean, the only reason we consider pedestrians and cyclists to not be at fault in collisions like that is the overwhelming disadvantage in durability they're at. They're squishy. She isn't. She even responds as if this shit has happened before.

But regular people don't walk in front of buses, and when they do, they often only do it the one time. The comic somehow manages to give the driver and passengers a realistic response, and presents it as them being dicks. And that's it. That's only page 4, and in page 5 she arrives at an Occupy rally (except with superheroes and mechs). Oh boy, how to date a fucking comic. That just tells you two things, right there: The author is one of those deluded idiots who thought Occupy was anything more than middle class malcontents and professional activists bitching and moaning, and that they agree with it. And that they probably referred to it as "the movement".

And then it introduces Furnace, who is a huge, massive strawman right from the start. So seven pages in, and it's already set itself up as a left wing preaching-to-the-choir comic. And I'm sorry, but there's nothing smart or entertaining about going "we're right, you're wrong". It's pretty much the Ben Garrison of superhero comics.
>>
>>82180059

Well, they are Americans.
>>
>>82179567
Its heat of the moment shit and this is college kids. They aren't going to think that far ahead or realize the Prof can't actually do what he claims.

Same reason why they just picked instead of talked.

>>82179644
You want to explain to your parents that you failed class and flushed your education down the toilet just so some entitled stranger could pass?

>>82179698
Reed is actually useless to the world outside super heroics. They rewrote it prior to the last event that companies pretty much payed for rights to his inventions and then sat on it.
>>
>>82179797
>>
>>82179832
Why risk failing a class willingly?
What if another class proves to be too much and now you have two classes failed
Also if you fail it you need to retake it, which is more money either way
>>
>>82179701
Don't be such a bitchanon, anon.

It's the entire universe of bizarrely contrived political strawmen, set up to showcase whatever year one political science college crap the author wants to deal with this week.

This one even isn't that bad, all things considered compared to the willis tier shit in the comic.

>>82179508
He'd be in a much better comic.

Oh, and my bet is that he'd trade his spleen for someone else's stone.

>>82179950
Because it's a deliberately retarded college designed to shoehorn in this obtuse moral point the author wanted.

>Are teachers actually allowed to do this?
Say they're going to fail someone? Maybe. Actually do it? Probably not. It's as legit as a slot machine for your grade.
>>
>>82179950
>He doesn't know about tenure

I mean, it's not actually that bad... but I love that futurama part where the one professor is given tenure as part of a deal to have him work to save the world.

Then he bails... and other characters ask why they don't stop him.

To which to mayor replies "I'd like to, but he has tenure".
>>
>>82180087
To which the headmaster says "Tenure. Also his pass/fail rates are in line with all the other Psychology 101 teachers. Better luck next semester!"

Seriously. Speaking as someone who knows first hand, the only way to fire a teacher with tenure is if they fuck a student or steal money.
>>
>>82180059
They're not retarded, they're smart. The protagonist is shown to not understand how people work. That girl didn't want to lose her financial aid, she wasn't dumb or selfish for that.
>>
>>82180059
this happens a LOT more than you think ._.
>i commend you for being smarter than the average
>>
>>82180086

Loosing his job? Cause i know shit like this happened a couple of times while i was in College and the fucker always backed down after a stern talk from the Headmaster.
>>
>it's a "OP posts comic pages out of context for quick /co/ rage" thread
>>
>>82180177
>"Tenure. Also his pass/fail rates are in line with all the other Psychology 101 teachers. Better luck next semester!"

Holy Shit. What kind of university allows this kind of bullshit? Where the hell did you went?
>>
>>82180082
>>82179797

I was never against your reasoning, idk why you're shouting at me over stupid shit
>>
>>82180156
Its not willingly you dipshit

the whole point of classes is the intellectual challenge not some fucking imposed prisoner dilemma
>>
>>82180156
>Why risk failing a class willingly?
That's the fucking point retard. Approaching everyday life with Superhero logic is stupid and will put you behind people exercising a basic sense of self-servitude.

Congratulations, you can understand basic themes.
>>
>>82180206
Sufficient context has been supplied throughout the thread.

One just needs to look a little harder than not at all.
>>
>>82180227
Every. Haven't you ever seen the China IL episode where Steve gets tenure? Aside from the cult drinking the Magic potions and going animal it is pretty spot on.
>>
>>82179698
which is still stupid if just cause there's always going to be supervillains. even if all the other supervillains are killed there's always be that one asshole who thinks his power makes him better then everyone else and wants to prove it.
>>
>>82180184
Except they're all portrayed as retarded literally one page ago.

Read the comic.
>>
>>82180136
Yeah, but they have to do that.

They have to make Reed useless to the world outside of fighting... because fighting keeps the status quo.

In the real world a Reed Richards would alter the entire global economic landscape like Edison, Gates, or Jobs did.

His greatest power is his mind, but because that would solve too many problems they just have him fix immediate threats and stretch around a bit.

This comic is trying (although, not entirely successfully) to say "what if"?

Although there is a character in a similar situation in this comic, but that hasn't been resolved yet.
>>
>>82180227
>What kind of university allows this kind of bullshit?

Literally.

Every.

One.

As long as you have tenure.
>>
File: 1460688426922.jpg (108KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1460688426922.jpg
108KB, 400x400px
>>82179905
Throw in punch each other instead of the villein
and you have a promising future at Marvel.

>>82179970
>People can't even comprehend wtf is going in this thread or the story after it was posted
>Wonder why kids didn't pick the black stone

I'm dying here.
>>
>>82180168
>>82180177
>>82180198
>>82180227

Even with tenure, the Teacher wouldn't be fired, but the instant fail can be overruled.
>>
>>82179709
>SFP gave a big speech about how everyone would or should or does pull together when needed. Her professor wanted to make the point that
>a) they don't
>b) the only way to /ensure/ that they do is to force them
But recent history is full of examples of people pulling together to achieve something without the threat of force.
MLK. Ghandi. Black people didn't join forces because MLK threatened them.
>>
>>82180177
Pffft no, that isn't how it works for anyone with competence or a lawyer. My family got me out of foreign language classes for all of public schooling and into college despite never taking them. If a professor flunked me based on some arbitrary experiment my family would have come down like a fucking meteor on that school.
>>
>>82180271
So you've seen universities on tv? Got it.
>>
>>82179205
It does when you have a room with a few dozen people who can communicate with each other but you only give them a few seconds to decide.
>>
>>82180271

Fuck. Sounds stupid as hell. I seen it twice and twice was the professor fired. Tenure my ass.

Do Americans really care so little about superior education and what you are paying for it? Hell, what about your consumer rights and your human right to have a good education?
>>
>>82179845
You'd be safe anyway, retard. It's an experiment, teachers CAN'T actually auto fail people.
>>
>>82180316
So argue with the cartoon teacher then.
>>
>>82180275
Are people still getting powers in this universe? Last time I read through it I got the impression that there was some sort of event that gave people powers but it hasn't happened again?

I think?

How else could you justify a universe where people are randomly born with powers and a statistical subset doesn't decide to use them selfishly or for criminal purposes?
>>
>>82179797
>Everyone is literally a PoC
>Failed student is White

This is some SJW comic right?
>>
>>82180275
We somehow function as a society with that same problem anon.

Problem is, even with super powered villains (in this universe at least) the military kinda has things handled on that front.
>>
>>82180271
>Haven't you ever seen the China IL episode
So you've never actually been to a college?
>>
>>82180177
Then you say "lawsuit, and nearest newspaper." You basically have to make a stink big enough to affect the university's donors and funding. As long as you have the money to enter a protracted suit that will harm the uni's funding regardless of outcome, they'll fold.
>>
>>82177812
This is fucking retarded.

>You can't trick people into being selfish.

> I don't think anyone was selfish.

> I was.

> Aha! I knew it!

> Fuck you.

Did a kid write this?
>>
>>82179797
>hijabi muslim in America

As a Eurofag, that just tells me the author is trying to appear politically correct. It's honestly hilarious how muslim women are overrepresented in "diverse" American media simply because their religious leaders demand that they wear a piece of clothing intended to make them unattractive to men.
>>
>>82179832
Yes? That's how it works at a lot of universities. One F, even in an elective, and you lose your free ride for all your classes.
>>
File: 1459253277756.jpg (12KB, 480x468px) Image search: [Google]
1459253277756.jpg
12KB, 480x468px
>>82180336
>Pffff, that's not how it works for anyone with a Roman legion of lawyers and enough money to threaten a long, expensive legal battle. Come on, be realistic
>>
>>82180315
You can't instantly fail someone on the first day of class anyway. It literally doesn't work. They would just drop the class and get no grade. Hell, there's probably time to get into another class instead too.
>>
>>82180136
>You want to explain to your parents that you failed class and flushed your education down the toilet just so some entitled stranger could pass?
Of course not, but that's not my issue here. My issue is that she shouldn't be attributing credit to her parents for something they couldn't have done.
>>82179840
Scholarships can't be taken away once rewarded, can they? That'd change things, but usually the GPA only affects the application and acceptance process of said scholorships.
>>
>>82179029
>>82179567
>>82179950
>these anons that actually think the professor is going to go ahead and pass/fail his class based entirely on this thought experiment

/co/, you're embarrassing me again.
>>
>>82180475
>Fuck this I'm switching to Pottery 101.
>>
>>82180475
You're assuming that the other people in this thread have gone to college.

One personally is openly acting like an expert on university politics based on watching an episode of China, IL
>>
>>82180426
Not that anon, but I worked next to a lab (as a student) where the professor had discovered the "sleeping beauty transposon" and gotten a decent amount of notoriety for the school.

He then researched for a few more years... then decided to take a five year sabbatical and continue cashing checks from the university.

He came back my year, and was given a bigger lab space than any of the other professors on my floor, even though he honestly was a few years out of the loop.

Tenure and prior accomplishments mean a lot in the world of academia, and students mean very little.
>>
>>82180481
>Scholarships can't be taken away once rewarded
No but they can necessitate a yearly or post-semester renewal to make sure you're preforming above the required GPA and an F with either fuck that up entirely or waste your one grade forgiveness credit that really shouldn't be wasted on fucking psychology 101.
>>
>>82180295
>Jobs
you mean Gates

Jobs was effective a cult leader
The rise of the personal computer was windows being sold to every workplace, not the fucking brand name epeen that followed
>>
>>82180408
The failed student is sympathetic, and the black student fucked it up by not paying attention.
>>
>>82180481
>Scholarships can't be taken away once rewarded, can they? That'd change things, but usually the GPA only affects the application and acceptance process of said scholorships.

Yes, they absolutely can. Scholarships require you to maintain a certain minimum GPA average, and not fail any courses throughout your time, and can be withdrawn at the end of each semester.
>>
File: really.gif (2MB, 352x288px) Image search: [Google]
really.gif
2MB, 352x288px
>>82180198
>i know shit like this happened a couple of times while i was in College

No it fucking didn't.

Right now I'm dearly hoping you were exaggerating and not balls-out retarded.
>>
>>82177812

...Wait, the blonde character is supposed to be female? The fuck?
>>
>>82180427
>As long as you have the money to enter a protracted suit that will harm the uni's funding regardless of outcome
Do you really think most people have that
>>
>>82180481
Scholarships can easily be taken away.

Mine required me to maintain a certain GPA.

The whole point of a scholarship is to bring something to the school. Either they think you will boost their numbers, that you will improve their sports program, or that you will help them create patents/lab discoveries.

Or increase representation of certain populations/viewpoints.

Scholarships are never really for the students. They are for the schools.
>>
>>82180316
But in a way there was force there. The alternative to MLK was armed revolution, continued oppression from the government with a shit future for your children, or hope the system stops fucking you.

>>82180481
Yes they can. Scholarships jam in a lot of legal agreements when you accept them. Most of them require the student to get A-Bs for reimbursement. Others may have honor code stipulations and what not.

As for parents, she was trying to get across that she can't afford to waste a single penny. Saying "I can't afford to fuck up the governments money" would sound odd and out of place.
>>
>>82180612
>not liking tomboys
GAY
>>
>>82180612
She looks like pre-serum Captain America.
>>
>>82180316
Both of your example had external threats, and time for internal social pressures to operate
>>
>>82180243

It's Philosophy 101, not a Master's course. These kids are straight out of high school. I really wouldn't be surprised to see this shit on the first day.
>>
>>82179797
brilliant lesson, professore
>>
>>82180295
Comicbook writers have little imagination, so they can't even begin to think what a world with superheroes and super geniuses would actually look like. It's why it's just "our world, but with superheroes."
>>
>>82180184
it's not that they didn't make the smart decision, it's the fact that they were too fucking dumb to understand the mechanics here.
>>
File: 1457629865026.gif (778KB, 245x190px) Image search: [Google]
1457629865026.gif
778KB, 245x190px
>>82180632
>Tomboys with a naive sense of the world and the people in it
This guy gets it.
>>
>>82179300

I hope you're kidding. I assumed that the protagonist was male by default. It didn't make me like them any more.
>>
>>82180431
Depends where you are. I'm at a university on the west coast and there's at least one girl with a hijab in every other class.
>>
>>82180583
I fucking put Gates too you idiot.

Trying to pretend that Jobs didn't vastly impact the global economy is idiotic. I'm not arguing he was the better engineer or person, just that he had a massive impact.

There is always one idiot who has to give their two cents whenever Jobs is mentioned.
>>
>>82180059
The whole point of game theory is that the correct play is to put down a white stone you fucking mongrel. White stone has literally 0 risk toward you passing the course.
>>
>>82180651
It's more so readers don't have to be constantly explained to.

So you can pick up a book and see "oh, the fantastic four are fighting thanos"
not be constantly mystified at a variety of objects no one understands unelss they've been reading the past 50 issues that explained what they were
>>
File: shenanigans.jpg (35KB, 472x337px) Image search: [Google]
shenanigans.jpg
35KB, 472x337px
>>82180087
There's nothing we've seen to indicate that the professor means to go through with the grades determined through this philosophical experiment.

This entire situation is the result of SFP trying to shame the professor for discussing logic and philosophy in a frivolous and lighthearted tone and taking a few mocking but harmless jabs at the students.

1) SFP calls the professor a bully for asking for volunteers to submit personal axioms with the implication that he will then tear them apart and analyze them logically.
2) Professor volunteers SFP to submit an axiom
3) SFP speaks on behalf of the entire class saying they'll all work together, even against the professor
4) Professor sets up the game described in >>82178408

SFP can either A) admit their axiom is false and that people will naturally look out for themselves first or B) force their decision upon the group.

Calling it now - next update will feature the addition of yet another rule - SFP is allowed to reject the results of the white-black game in favor of a different compromise (everyone gets a C- or something). SFP can now either:

A) Uphold the results of the white-black game, proving their axiom about everyone being in this together false or
B) Impose their compromise on the class unwillingly, proving them to be a tyrant

This is Philosophy Professor Shenanigans 101
>>
is this microeconomics? game theory? tell me it's not philosophy
>>
>>82179823
>or just plain wanted to fuck everyone else over for shits and giggles.
Why the fuck would anyone do this?
Then again, maybe you're right. Chances are at least one person in the class would be dumb enough to think this...
>>
>>82180637

She looks like every generic white boy in every 80's movie ever.
>>
>>82180603

Yes it did. It never went anywhere, the guy got fired over how retarded his little experiment was.

You might not like it, you cunt. But it happened.
>>
>>82177989
Our white female feminist protagonist wants to take a philosophy class, because philosophy is like a mosquito lamp for douchebags who want to feel intelligent.

White feminist protagonist is asked a question about the purpose of life or some such shit. She answers that "we are all in this together, and everyone only really wants the same things and to help each other."

Teacher does what he is paid to do, teach. He sets up a classic experiment in self-interest - students who choose one stone pass, students who choose another fail. Whatever conditions he attached to each stone are, ultimately, irrelevant, as people will act in their own self-interest if threatened with an undesirable alternative.

White feminist protagonist cannot understand that she has been played, and played hard, and so does what white feminists do best - whine and bitch.

She has not learned anything and likely won't. The fault for the stupidity is not on the teacher.
>>
>>82180698
His impact only lasted while he was leading the apple cult

the first time he retired Apple almost went bankrupt, and he had to come back

How the hell will they manage now that he is dead?
>>
>>82180295
>Edison, Gates, or Jobs

Only one of these could be described as a brilliant maker. The other two were shrewd businessmen, but nothing more.
>>
>>82180707
Scifi literature does that shit all the time.
>>
>>82180701
it only has 0 risk when you play in a bubble
>>
>>82180724
It's a use of game theory to examine the concepts of axioms.

The idea of a personally central truth, and how people react when that is challenged or examined.

Read the rest of the comic if you want to pretend to be offended.
>>
>>82180747
Why do you think the writer is of the opinion that the teacher is wrong?
>>
>>82180426
>>82180349
I gave an example to those that have never set foot in a University since it is the closest thing to this board.
>>82180365
>>82180556
Yes. First and formost, universities in the US are nothing more than a gigantic cash grab for the schools to make a massive amount of money at every waking moment available. Tuition, room and board, meals, parking passes, technology fees, overpriced textbooks- the American college is basically a system to bleed the student dry in thier attempts to get a certificate to get careers.
Now teachers do get hired to teach, but many of them focus primarily on research and grant money from the government to fuel thier lives and work. Those kinds of professors are the ones that have 0 office hours or hardly teach the class. I have been lucky to get very kind and passionate professors so far in most big classes of mine, but I have seen the kind that you can tell only show up because they technically have to and don't have a TA to cover.
>>
>>82180747
>Philosophy professor
>Paid to teach
>>
>>82179833
>strongfemaleprotagonist

Oh god, fuck, back the FUCK up.

That title by itself makes me lose all interest this page drummed up. I don't even care if it's ironic or not, I don't need any of that poison in my veins.
>>
The instant it was explained that one student didn't have a white stone was when (I forgot her name) should have figured it all out.

>Put down white stone
>Reach over to the white stone deprived student's desk and take his black stone
>Throw it out the window.

It misses the point of the experiment, but it would display the typical "superhero" compulsion to help people.
>>
>>82180715
>Calling it now - next update will feature the addition of yet another rule - SFP is allowed to reject the results of the white-black game in favor of a different compromise (everyone gets a C- or something). SFP can now either:
>A) Uphold the results of the white-black game, proving their axiom about everyone being in this together false or
>B) Impose their compromise on the class unwillingly, proving them to be a tyrant

Shit that's pretty plausible
>>
>>82180763

You don't consider shrewd business sense and creating entire markets to be examples of brilliant makings?
>>
>>82180431
I see them in my US uni, but have never had one in my class. There's a pretty decently populated Mosque on campus next to one of the churches.
>>
File: well, see ya around.jpg (88KB, 1158x706px) Image search: [Google]
well, see ya around.jpg
88KB, 1158x706px
>>82180845
>>
>>82180396
I remember them saying new ones where being born all the time but I can't remember the exact page. weak I know but I really don't want to have to look though that whole comic again.
>>82180424
well our criminals don't normally have some random superpower that lets them do things no other human can do and the whole reason i'm even reading this comic is that i'm waiting for some overpowered supervillain/s to start wreaking shit. probably won't happen but it's nice to dream.
>>
>>82180832
I'm a Technical Writer, not a philosophy major.

You read more Plato in a class meant to teach you how to write computer manuals than you do in philosophy.

>>82180804
I do not, read what I wrote again and carefully.
>>
>>82180749
I honestly don't care, because my post was about how he personally had a massive impact. Nothing else.

And you tried to (stupidly) say he didn't, that I shouldn't include him as influential.

I'm not going to get involved with a manufactured "pc vs mac" debate.

>>82180763
People don't read, do they?

My post was about how those three had altered the global economic landscape. Not how. Not why. Turns out, businessmen have economic impact too! Who thought? So do makers! Funny that.
>>
>>82177812
>get failing grade over this shit
>sue the school for fraud
>professor gets fired
works out in the end.
>>
>>82180851
Exactly. The professor took care to leave plenty of loopholes in this game.

The character is just to stupid to see them and instead falls right into the traps.
>>
>>82180624
Be the change you want to see, motherfucker. Even if you don't win, you can still hurt the university and thereby prevent this shit in the future.
>>
>>82180763
I'm curious as to which one.
>>
>>82180845
It's pretty clearly a deconstruction.
>>
>>82180951
I was just saying his influence was not lasting in any way and so I wouldn't count him as influential
>>
File: 1404458373781.jpg (38KB, 415x423px) Image search: [Google]
1404458373781.jpg
38KB, 415x423px
Just giving you guys a warning: prepare to see this exact same thread every day from now on, at least once if not twice per day.
>>
>>82180964
I think this girl (in the comic) wanted to do that. Prisoner's Dilemma kinda burned her
>>
Doesn't this school have an add/drop period for courses?
>>
>>82180978
Edison and Jobs invented jack shit but were good at business and building a brand over someone else's ideas.
>>
File: 1460081807238.png (177KB, 697x768px) Image search: [Google]
1460081807238.png
177KB, 697x768px
>>82180845
>>
>>82180978
Edison mostly. Gates to a lesser extent.
>>
File: ridiculous.png (198KB, 389x365px) Image search: [Google]
ridiculous.png
198KB, 389x365px
Jesus, you fuckers are dense.

No one's failing the class. It was a thought experiment. Seriously, read a book.
>>
>>82180931
Oh, I wasn't talking about criminals.

The people who really want to become powerful and dominate others become powerful members of society.

Source: Girlfriend is in law school and I am in medical school. The ego is what drives it.

Criminals are largely due to desperation, lack of education, economic incentives (drug money, etc.) or mental disease.

You want to dominate the world? Become a politician.

Even in comic, the big "supervillain" turned into a businessman. The henchmen were largely kids who lacked stability/were out of options and the villain with mind reading powers was able to prey on those feelings to convince them to come to his side.
>>
>>82178693
It's SO fucking pretentious. Sometimes it's so bad I legitimately cannot tell what the actual point the author is trying to make is.
>>
>>82180900
Probably some butthurt wannabe who wants to create something great but couldn't imagine being socially confident enough to be any good at business.
>>
>>82181078
>edison
>inventing

I wish this meme would die already.
>>
File: 1329426050719.png (29KB, 214x152px) Image search: [Google]
1329426050719.png
29KB, 214x152px
>>82181078
>Edison invented jack shit
Oh boy, he took all the ideas from Tesla right?
>>
>>82181078
Gates didn't invent shit either
and likewise he was just a good bluffer and branded someone else's ideas
>>
>>82180726
>Why the fuck would anyone do this?
We're on 4chan right now, yet you ask this.
>>
>>82180117
This is perhaps the only reasonable post in the thread, which is why nobody has replied to it.
>>
>>82180961
>Characyer's fault
>not the writers
>>
Why would every single person choose white?

It'd be at least like 25/75
>>
>>82180998
And the writer's own points of view are slightly less subtle than a drunk post 9/11 frank miller in a hookah lounge.
>>
>>82180964
So just desire to have a ton of money and dedicated lawyers and they'll magically appear for you?
>>
>>82181016
Then you are an idiot.

Yeah, he won't last in the same way that Ozymandias (look upon my works ye mighty, etc.) didn't last. But no one will.

He created and helped steer what is now a 500 billion dollar company, and created the standard model for a device (smart phones) that most people in the western world want/have.

He had a big impact, even if you happen to not like him personally and now have tried to color your outlook from that viewpoint. I don't like him either, bug woop.
>>
>>82181078
Teslafag detected
>>
>>82181198

Because while realistic, it wouldn't really add anything to the narrative and might confuse the point the comic is making.

At its core, this is a sociophilosophy comic with superhero trappings, not a college slice-of-life.
>>
>>82180900

Ability to pay other people to do things is not a great merit. Even if you're very good at it.
>>
>>82181151
He took ideas from all over the place.
>>
There's a lot of arguing in this thread, but not very much of it is about the comic.
>>
>>82180701
holy shit you guys are morons.

Yes, that's obviously the right play, like I said, fucking basic game theory retard.

I'm talking about the composition of the comic and how the students are retards because they don't even understand the rules. They literally didn't even see the all black stones as a solution except like 2 kids.
>>
These superheroes don't seem so super
>>
>>82180964

That's your goddamned argument? People should spend themselves into the gutter on a lawsuit they can't win in order to possibly move the college a micron or two towards a change in policy?
>>
>>82181285
>not a college slice of life
PFFFT
>>
>>82181198
Prisoner's dilemma.

If everyone operated on pure rationalism, then that would be the result. But people do not operate on pure rationalism. When everyone is given the same or near-equal amount of power over everyone else's lives (in this case expulsion), the immediate response is to distrust and attempt to undermine those who have been granted the same power over your life as you have over theirs. It's an exponential effect, too, creating a spiral of fuck-overs and backstabs based on nothing but the fear that someone else will do it to you before you can prevent it from happening.
>>
>>82180431
I mean, I live in the goddamn deep south and I see it all the time. I think you probably just don't get out very often.
>>
>>82181285
Given the thread, I don't think the author's point worked anyways.

And I disagree. There's enough of a slice of life theme. It's secondary to the stiff philosophical shit, and superheroing, but it's clearly there. The awful drunken date rape shit?
>>
>>82181293

You know running a business involves more than just handing money out to more talented people, right?

Are you one of those writers that keep reusing 19th-century-English "rich twit" character archetypes for modern business tycoons?
>>
>>82180851
The only problem is this character is not a "superhero." She's a loudmouthed, do-nothing bitch who can't see anything outside of herself.
>>
>>82181297
Nobody's read the comic.
>>
>>82181328
Or you can permit this behavior to continue in the future. It's the same goddamn reasoning that allows patent trolls to exist.
>>
>>82181123
>who are career criminals
>what is organized crime
Being a criminal mastermind is still power.
>>
>>82181244
>created the standard model for a device (smart phones) that most people in the western world want/have.

Jobs didn't invent smartphones. He didn't even invent iPhones.
>>
>>82181402
I've read it, it's shit. The MC is genuinely unlikable and off-putting in every way possible but the narrative is structured in a way that we're supposed to feel sympathetic for her. It just completely fails.
>>
>>82181022
These threads only works if somebody explains what happened. This isn't the first thread about this, the old ones fizzled because nobody had a clue of what was going on.
However, it could happen that OP explains the comic every time. But you know that won't happen.
>>
>>82181389
>You know running a business involves more than just handing money out to more talented people, right?

I don't give the slightest fuck. Running a business is like cleaning the toilets: somebody needs to do it, but the person who does it is not of great value. Inventors are great people. Artists are great people. Builders and makers are great. People who move money from one pile to another are chattel.
>>
>>82181330
>>82181378

Well, they're going for multiple things, that's true. It's an extended philosophical discussion AND a college drama AND a character study AND a superhero comic.

I guess I should say that I think the sociophilosophy aspect is more important to the creators than the the comic's other themes, and so will take precedence over them if the creators think it's necessary for the point to be made.
>>
File: What is going on 2.png (50KB, 212x234px) Image search: [Google]
What is going on 2.png
50KB, 212x234px
>>82177812
What kind of class give you a pass/fail assignment on the first day?!

Come on, if it was that easy to pass then no one would bather showing up for the rest of the year.
Also, if this is the first day of class the add/drop period probably has not come yet, so anyone who failed could drop the class with no damage to their GPA.

This has the be a college that is in the verge of shutting down due to bankruptcy to allow a test like this to take place.
>>
>>82181410
Being a babysitter is still power.

Power is a shitty explanation for being a supervillain, all I am saying. There are many ways to get power.

You need a different reason to become a super villain.
>>
>>82181390

One could say the same of all superheroes.
>>
>>82180900
No.

>>82180951
You are one butthurt retard, aren't you? You picked three people notable in technical fields to compare to Reed Richards, specifically because he is an inventor who's inventions should change the world.

So you specify the example as an inventor, and then you pick three people commonly known as inventors to compare him to. And now you're acting like a bitch to people who are pointing out the discrepancy between those people.

At the very best, your point is unclear. But you're acting like a cunt who was caught being stupid, and is trying to cover for it by acting like an ass. I mean, the amount of superheroes who could alter the economy in general is fucking HUGE. It amounts to damn near all of them. I mean, fucking Superman shouldn't be spending his days as Clark Kent until some villain shows up for him to punch, but as some sort of one-man factory. He could just build an empty building in one day, and then sit there churning out products like the blue collar worker he's supposed to admire.

What you said only makes sense if confined to inventors. And, again, you made the mistake of portraying businessmen as inventors, and now are trying to act like that was your point from the start.

In short, you're a cunt.
>>
>>82181402
I think people have, it's just not interesting enough to merit all that much discussion.

Plus, an argument implies that there is someone willing to debate the positive attributes of the comic. If such a person exists they have not made their presence known.
>>
>>82181456
>I've read it, it's shit. The MC is genuinely unlikable and off-putting in every way possible but the narrative is structured in a way that we're supposed to feel sympathetic for her. It just completely fails.

I'm reading the comic right now starting from the link posted and I'm with the professor all the way. Fuck the "protagonist".
>>
>>82181404

I'll put it in simpler terms: you're expecting people to throw their lives away for very little effect. Because believe me, a failed (profoundly failed) lawsuit isn't going to budge the college very far.

This is not a realistic or, frankly, fair expectation.
>>
>>82180085
>There's a woman who can heal any injury (basically deadpool but not diseased) and she decided to basically constantly be used as an organ donor.

Jesus Christ, that's fucking horrifying. Her life must be never ending fucking torture.
>>
>>82181498
I guess your parents bought their house all at once right?
>>
File: 768415-kidmiracleman.png (375KB, 337x485px) Image search: [Google]
768415-kidmiracleman.png
375KB, 337x485px
>>82181123
ah my mistake, but imagine if those kids didn't met up with mind reader dude. their thought process would probably be like this...
>I have power no one else has, lets say it fire making
>I don't like other people
>but those other people have things I want/need
>so I'm going to start burning people and things until I get those things
and then of Couse you get the well off retard who lucked out and got something uber powerful like king crimson i'm on a jojo kick sue me who isn't smart enough to be a business man but knows that he could do what ever the fuck he wants with that kind of power.
>pic, a decent example of the second group.
>>
>>82181440
No, but he helped create the standard model.

Inventing something doesn't mean shit honestly, it has to be wanted/desired/viable at the time. Steam power was invented by the Romans and written character based languages popped up before they were adopted for another hundred years.

You need to have a market, and Jobs recognized the market was ready and how to cater to it.

I'm not saying he was a great inventor, or a great man. Just that he was influential.
>>
>>82181458
Well look at the way it's blown up now. He'll keep making this thread BECAUSE nobody understands what's going on, just to get everybody bitching at each other and being aggravated again(not like that's remotely a challenge, there's nothing /co/ loves more than being angry) especially now that the strip in particular portrays two characters with strong, but also incredibly polarizing personalities, sympathetically speaking.
>>
>>82179300
I'd never seen this comic before and I thought they were until I read a few posts in.
>>
>>82181520
>power is a shitty explanation for being a supervillain
How did you come to that conclusion retard?
>>
>>82181520
What if you win the cosmic lottery and are gifted with super powers?

Do you think that someone in that situation would see it as a safer bet to accrue power using means that only they and a scant few others have access to? To them, it would be a huge advantage.
>>
>>82181578
Then the more cost-efficient option is to have an article in the local newspaper. You certainly can't do nothing and expect the problem to go away on its own.
>>
>>82181591
yep and pain killers don't work on her so she has to feel everything.
>>
>>82181375
I just said I was a Eurofag, you retard.
>>
>>82181591
Read that arc. Its fun. Especially when its explained the only reason she doesn't donate her eyes is because crazies would hunt down the recipients and kill them.

It also doesn't help that she can't take pain killers or a guy sets her on fire.
>>
>>82181591
It is, and honestly one of the coolest things this comic did.

>>82181539
Never specified them as inventors. Just as people who impacted the entire global economy. I even used that exact phrasing. They are all men too, yet I didn't specify that as the common aspect I was using to connect all three (even though all three are commonly known for being men, and white, etc.). I specifically said what I was comparing in them.

I even reiterated that point in the first response, so I don't know why you are acting like I was confusing this far down.

Man, you're acting just as bitchy as the main character. Just because you don't understand what was going on doesn't mean you get to throw a temper tantrum.
>>
>>82181123
This is such pretentious way of looking at Supervillains. Pablo and el chapo made millions from running criminal organizations and they didn't donit by goong to business school.
>>
>>82181591
Don't feel sorry for her. She's just suffering from a martyrs complex. Everything she's put herself through is self-inflicted and she can stop any time.

She's as misguided as SFP is, with their grand delusion of everybody helping everybody ushering us into a utopia.
>>
See if this was Kaiji, this game would playout over like 50 pages and wring out all the drama possible instead of making it seem everybody involved is childish.
>>
>>82181591

Yup!
>>
>>82181716
True, but there has to be another spark.

People who are smart can easily become doctors, lawyers, successful... whatever. But why do they become that specific one?

Being a supervillain requires a reason specific to it. The desire for power exists everywhere, but the desire to become a supervillain requires a bit more motivation.

>>82181714
The desire for power is an aggravating circumstance, but never the spark that should cause supervillains. Every person desires power in a way. Even superheroes desire power (the power to save, to protect, etc.)

Simply making "power" into a starting motivation for villains is short sighted, and bad writing.

But what do I know, I'm retarded.
>>
>>82181875

Just out of curiosity, what's your (non-delusional) philosophy?
>>
>>82181539
Fine then, please explain how Bill Gates is a world class inventor. The only program he ever wrote was "Gorilla", a french artillery clone. Everything else was done by other people, and I mean everything including the contract for DOS he got from IBM was written by his mother while he bought DOS from someone else with money his parents gave him.
>>
>>82181456
This also explains my problem with the comic. This comic is very obsessed with its own vision of right and wrong. But that's a failing, because most good fiction describes situations, characters, choices for the reader to make up their own mind about.

Even the laughably simple Those Who Walk Away From Omelias, with its obvious right and wrong dilemma in the end leaves the question to the reader. And that's a story that can be described in one sentence, and only qualifies as a short story because it's held up by a lot of florid prose. In case you're wondering, it's the story where a utopian city needs to keep one innocent child in constant suffering, and every citizen must be aware of it, in order to stay a utopia.
>>
>>82181813
You made a shitty, unclear point, and then you acted like a bitch when people called you out on it, instead of sticking with what you were trying to say. The end.

Now go back to defending this shitty comic.
>>
>>82181986
cultural Marxism
>>
>>82181980
>Being a supervillain requires a reason specific to it.
All it takes is one bad day...
>>
>>82181867
Neither are supervillains though, and both used business skills to raise up in the drug cartels.

I never said you have to go to school to feed the ego, although it is the most common way nowadays.

All I was saying is that supervillains need more than just a desire for power, because almost everyone has that.
>>
>>82182085
this
>>
Archie, what have they done to you?
>>
>>82181980
How's this for a reason.
>I have superpowers
>you don't
>eat shit
Then I do whatever I want because who's gonna stop me?
>>
>>82181986
Not that guy, but it's what I call the Starfish Paradox.

I'm sure you're familiar with the Starfish Story? A little boy walks along the beach tossing starfish, who've been washed up on the shore in a storm, back into the ocean. His brother informs him he is not making a difference in the general predicament of the starfish on the beach, to which the younger brother responds "I made a difference to the ones I threw back."

It's a feelgood story hiding insidious rhetoric. The older brother was, of course, right. The act of tossing one or two starfish back into the sea and preventing their deaths will not prevent hundreds of others on the beach from dying. The little boy does so with the justification that his limited focus and effort was amplified in importance due to its futility.

That's the paradox, and its fucking horrible. It's the animus of the so-called "hashtag activism" phenomenon. The unfortunate woman in question subjected herself to a horrible existence for the same reason the little boy tossed starfish back into the ocean - to pursue a completely selfish desire to feel better about themselves without actually contributing to the overall welfare of anyone or anything.
>>
>>82182085
I didn't change what I was saying though, and immediately clarified it when I thought someone was taking it in a different direction.

If you were the first person to reply, I kinda just wanted to have fun at the expense of the fact that you were so quick to say "why not Gates" when I actually put Gates in the comment.

It was funny.

But what do I know.
>>
>>82182208
But how do you go from changing nothing to changing everything?
>>
>>82181986
That society doesn't have some sort of mythical end goal where everyone gets to be happy forever. People need to think about the present if they want to find happiness, not pine for utopia spouting childish lines like "WELL IF EVERYONE ACTED IN THIS WAY THEN etc."

Call me a cynic, but I don't believe that "world peace" is a biological possibility for humans.
>>
>>82177812
These comics are designed to appeal to childish brats. So yeah. You give the audience a character they can identify with.
>>
>>82182169
That works with guns and stuff today too though.

Yet people get guns to commit crimes. They don't commit crimes because they simply happened to find a gun one day. It might facilitate a crime they already wanted to commit though.

But that's the point, powers don't create supervillains, other factors have to.
>>
>>82182208
> to pursue a completely selfish desire to feel better about themselves
The same as everyone else, but their actions also benefit others
>without actually contributing to the overall welfare of anyone or anything.
Except the starfish, which is the whole point.
>>
What superpowers does this bitch have?
Why would they go to college instead of some sort of delicate specialized heavy manual labor, and make dosh?
>>
>>82182283
You don't. Individual efforts have little to no effect so it's better to just not try at all.
>>
>>82182309
There's more than one order of magnitude than owning a gun and having superpowers, anon.
>>
>>82182330
>benefit others
Complete conjecture.
>Except the starfish
Also complete conjecture.
>>
Wait, that's a chick?
>>
I can't tell if you guys hate it because the protagonist is too obviously right or too obviously wrong.

Are you sure you guys aren't just assuming that you're supposed to agree with the protagonist?
>>
>>82182351
>>82182283
All philosophy and human desire fails to stand up to the infinite.

Try and justify you actions as meaningful within the scope of the infinite interactions of society in the future after you make them, and it falls apart.

But that gets down to the whole "why do anything" because if you look at it within the context of the universe as a whole, it truly never matters.

But if it matters to you (one person) isn't that enough?

It all depends on how you look at it.
>>
>>82180136
aas a college kid I can say with absolute certainty any time a professor says someone will certainly fail if "x", and "x" isn;t something basic like cheating or failing all your assignments, they will absolutely question the professor.

Jesus man, you need an IQ above 90 to get into college, people will call people on their shit
>>
>>82182208
>without actually contributing to the overall welfare of anyone or anything.
>saves lives of the individual but not the collective
Weird that you managed to miss the point of the story. Pretty sure the overall welfare of the individual starfish/transplant recipient has increased.

You probably meant to type that saving one or a hundred or a million people doesn't solve global warming. Which is true, but in the end those people were saved.
>>
>>82182419
It's the same conjecture as your hypothetical. The boy helped the starfish, then felt good about it.
>>
>>82182419
Unless you're omniscient, everything is conjecture
>>
>>82182283
It's not about wether doing or not doing is the "right choice." It's about seeing that there's no inherent morality in the act of doing or the act of not doing.
>>
>>82177812
Why is Archie so upset?
>>
>>82182451
>he believes mankind has affected or can prevent global warming
Adorable.

The point of the story is that futility is more desirable than efficiency, that trying is all that matters and results can be safely ignored so long as everyone walks away from a situation feeling better about themselves.

That's the point of the story.
>>
>>82182208
>>82182290

She's not going to solve the problems of the whole world, no, but to say that's tantamount to accomplishing nothing seems extremely binary.
>>
>>82182368
Not really in this universe.

There are like, maybe 8 characters seen so far that can't be taken out by a well trained military group with intel.

Guns are still a pretty potent force in this universe. When the flying brick main character left, the "justice league" equivalent of this world actually made the same point (saying that there wasn't that much difference between the two).
>>
>>82182344
the superman package.
super strength, invulnerable unless you have something that cuts though diamond, and more recently flight.
she in college because she wants to CHANGE THE WORLD, you know despite the fact her mere existence changes up a lot of things but what do I know.
>>
File: 363428main_von_braun.jpg (28KB, 272x264px) Image search: [Google]
363428main_von_braun.jpg
28KB, 272x264px
>>82182498
>he thinks mankind can't
>>
I see /co/ still doesn't know how to read.
>>
>>82182231
I was, to my knowledge, the second person to reply.

Like I said, superheroes and their powers are so broad that taking the leap from focusing on the inventions of brilliant superheroes, and the economic impact any other superhero could have is massive.

And it all comes back to "we just want strong dudes punching each other". Too much of the real world would make these guys boring, because then it becomes less of a question of how do superheroes deal with this, but how do world governments and the general public deal with it. I'm far more interested in the life of the special forces soldier being issued with kryptonite bullets for the worst case scenario than I am in the setting's Superman. Maybe that's where this comic went wrong. Behind some desk is a bureaucrat having a far more interesting life than the main character.
>>
>>82178541
It's game theory.
>>
>>82182309
This isn't just guns we're talking about here anon, it's Superpowers. Having superpowers is like being chosen by god. I'm not jilust gonna sit on my ass, I'm gonna do whatever I feel like, which brings us to the original point of:
>I have Superpowers
>you don't
>eat shit
>>
>>82182446
We've already accepted this world has super powers. I can accept retarded kids too.
>>
>>82182453
You've expanded the act of helping a single being to helping all beings. That's more conjectural than my statement by several orders of magnitude.

>>82182466
We're arguing degrees at this point.
>>
>>82182509
If you're not stopping the heat death of the universe you shouldn't bother doing anything.
>>
>>82180845
Lmao you're such a little faggot.
>>
>>82180946
>You read more Plato in a class meant to teach you how to write computer manuals than you do in philosophy.
No shit. That'd be like reading Freud in modern psychology. You're not really coming off as clever as I bet you think you are.
>>
>>82182498
Now this is conjecture. The story never offers an alternative to the boy's method so you can't criticize his inefficiency. Its the only option besides doing nothing so it doesn't matter if it is minimally effective.
>>
>>82178408

That's kind of funny because it's always the altruist-activists-types who are "every man for himself" when shit hits the fan or they get in trouble.
>>
File: 1343411291967.png (178KB, 322x377px) Image search: [Google]
1343411291967.png
178KB, 322x377px
Anything that spawns this must discussion and debate of philosophical thought must be pretty good.
>>
>>82180515

>/co/ hasn't graduated yet.

That's my take away here Anon.
>>
>>82182516
>not in this universe
That's what really dumb about this setting. Having abilities beyond those of mortal is fundamentally a paradigm shift in society. Being bulletproof doesn't become a novelty in any sense of the word.
>>
Wow, I'm actually watching this thread work out Nihilism from scratch.
>>
>>82182451
>saving one or a hundred or a million people doesn't solve global warming

If you want a surefire way of saving the world from global warming, you're more looking in the direction of killing a couple billion people.

Now there's a superhero comic for you.
>>
>>82182531
With powers like that, why isn't she doing construction? Can easily do the work of ten men and several heavy machines without much risk of suffering an accident. She could get the pay of ten men and still be a lucrative deal for the company.
>>
>>82182605
I should have put a trigger warning on that post, I guess. Psych major?

>>82182607
I most certainly can, as the ramifications of the boy's actions are clearly meant to expand beyond the confines of the story.
>>
>>82182611
Not that I disagree with you, but an altruist's life is ironically more valuable to society than a selfish person's. The altruist contributes more and takes less.
>>
>>82182726
Oh boy here we go
>>
>>82182571
You're dismissing a single act of kindness as without value.
>>
>>82182549
Well, I just disagree with the first guy then. I think I agree with you 100%

I was trying to make the point that the world changing effects are much more interesting.

Show me superman helping out the world by assisting in the construction of a space elevator.

The first guy I was arguing with was just a pc fanboy or something.
>>
>>82182685
She is a firefighter. She doesn't seem interested in money, but does help an engineer move heavy machinery around.
>>
File: my god.gif (2MB, 189x189px) Image search: [Google]
my god.gif
2MB, 189x189px
>>82182498

I literally had to go look this up to see if anyone, ANYONE has this interpretation of that story. Guess what, no.

I thought I'd seen everything on this site, but by god /co/, you've blown me away. I can't believe anyone could be so utterly, astoundingly wrong, could miss the point so baldly and absolutely, could be so utterly wrapped up in their own delusions that they would actually say this in public and expect anyone to agree with them. My god, /co/. My god.
>>
>>82182498
No offense, but have you been diagnosed with autism yet?
>>
>>82180832
Ideally, Philosophy courses are teaching you the basics of how we explore what we know, how we've explored our limitations, how we've taken these two, and fabricated an idea, and why that ideal is important.

Essentially, it should be teaching people how to think. Because that's what philosophy is, taking a concept and exploring it thoroughly while being aware of the limitations of knowledge and biases.

People have a misconception of philosophy as sophistry.
>>
>>82182753
Value is subjective. It doesn't exist except in perception.

The act of kindness to one starfish is completely and utterly meaningless to the one that isn't saved.
>>
>>82182685

She specifically quit being a superhero at 17 because she realized she was a world player but didn't know anything about how the world works. She's in college to learn about how the world works.
>>
>>82182607
Yeah this. If you're trying to argue that heping 1 starfish and helping 0 starfish are the same, what the fuck?

Now in the real world, there are multiple ways to be altruistic, and that's why the Effective Altruism movement exists. Their goal is to maximize the efficiency of charity to make a real difference.
>>
Does anyone still take this comic seriously after the bullshit feminist serial killer shit last chapter?
>>
>>82182577
This is why I dropped out of college. Why even try
>>
File: richy.jpg (55KB, 500x456px) Image search: [Google]
richy.jpg
55KB, 500x456px
>>82182786
>I literally had to go look this up to see if anyone, ANYONE has this interpretation of that story. Guess what, no.

Ad populum, meaningless.

>>82182788
I've diagnosed myself with a mild case of autism and am currently developing a cure.
>>
>>82182880
>he went to college
Tryhard much?
>>
>>82181402
I've read it. It's mostly shit. The author does a good job of retarding up the main character to keep her from being too perfect, but then retards all the other characters into place to hammer in whatever asinine philosophical point.

>>82182643
By that standard LICD is good.
>>
>>82182643
I think of the comic the same way I think of lord of the flies.
I don't really like any of the characters out side of a few stand outs but I like the way the they talk to each other.
>>82182685
she a firefighter and strated up a women's help group for ex-superheroes to work at.
the supers help out women being stalked or running from a abusive relationship as sort of bodyguards. so she isn't just sitting on her ass and whining all the time she only does it 80% of the time
>>
>>82182712
>the ramifications of the boy's actions are clearly meant to expand beyond the confines of the story.

No it's not, you idiot! That's the entire goddamn point of the story! The entire moral is that your actions don't have to change the entire world to still have value to someone!
>>
A lot of things in this comic make me angry, but it also has some subversions I really like. I especially like the cleaver arc. I know it's not the firs time anyone's done the 'try to actually humanize the massive murder monster instead of just punching him' bit, but I think it was pulled off here pretty well.
>>
>>82182819
Why'd the other boy bother to tell the first boy anything then? If all choices have the same value, all of them are equally correct.
>>
>>82182880
Why not try?
>>
You guys are cynical bastards, but at least that cynicism helps me realize how naive I can be. I may hate myself now, but I can never stop loving this fucked up world.
>>
>>82178408
actually this does make her a Tyrant, a Tyrant either forces or assumes everyone will do what they want.

SFP is under the assumption of benign collectivism, which never works, and when someone choooses against the braintrust, either because they want to or have to (in this experiment) the backlash is sudden and violent.
>>
>>82182819
But what about the butterfly in Sound of Thunder?

Even a tiny action reverberates endlessly as time progresses. You're acting like if that one starfish doesn't cure cancer or solve heat-death then the action had no direct effect on the world.

So there's really only two possibilities. Either everything has meaning, or nothing does.
>>
>>82182905
Well I mean, I slept through all my high school classes and still got good enough grades and test scores to get scholarships. Going to college and dropping out took no effort on my part. Not even in debt or anything over it.
>>
>>82182769
Interestingly enough Golden Age Superman's first act was to end a war.

Silver Age used to help out scientists all the time and save their space shuttles and what not when things went wrong. SA Superman always had this feel of being on the cusp of tomorrow, especially with the Legion of Superheros showing that yes, Superman did change the world for a better and turn it into a Star Trek Utopia.

All-Star had the same feel.

Personally I want a more serious take on superheroes changing the world. Every time changing the world comes up in a capes work its always the same trite "oh no, they're killing third world dictators. Is this going too far?"

I want to see capes invent things. Make things. Build things. I want super towns and super cities and super people. "Change the World" does not have to mean killing third world shit heads.
>>
>>82182819

If it's entirely meaningless, then it's a null value. You've still made a positive difference in the starfish's life and, assuming you got a good feel out of it, a positive difference in your own life, and you've made no negative differences in anyone or anything else's life.
>>
>>82182290
>That society doesn't have some sort of mythical end goal where everyone gets to be happy forever.

What? Of course it does. That is literally the end goal of civilization: a permanent perfect utopia where every minute of every day is constant orgasmic joy for everyone.
>>
>>82182950
The point of the story is that helping one starfish is equivalent in importance to helping every starfish, which is wrong.
>>
>get a bad grade
>tell your teacher fuck you
SKI SKI BASED GOD
>>
>>82182999
>Personally I want a more serious take on superheroes changing the world.

Problem with that is that the big cape universes are stagnant by financial necessity. Reed cannot solve the world's problems in any permanent fashion because Marvel needs to still print comics after he's done.
>>
>>82183082
not him
no, you are just a fucking retard
>>
File: 1448951621055.png (194KB, 444x475px) Image search: [Google]
1448951621055.png
194KB, 444x475px
I have never been more disillusioned with /co/ than I have after reading this thread. I can't believe how ignorant and naive some of these posts are.

Some of you guys are pretty alright though, keep it up.
>>
>>82183082
>Paradox
I don't think the first boy ever claimed he was helping every starfish.
>>
>>82182819
>This guy again
Let me guess, Ligotti fan, right?

>Value is subjective
And that renders it null how?
>>
>>82183082
The point is that the inability to save all does not discredit the ability to help some. Its saying do what you can and don't give up just because you can't do more.
>>
>>82183082
>The point of the story is that helping one starfish is equivalent in importance to helping every starfish

Where the fuck do you get that? The story doesn't imply that at all. The story implies, in very clear terms, that inability to help everybody is no reason to not at least help somebody.
>>
File: 1299470906734.jpg (144KB, 800x439px) Image search: [Google]
1299470906734.jpg
144KB, 800x439px
>>82183140
You're dead on retarded if you expected anything different.
>>
>>82182999
>>82183119

It would be cool if every positive change came with a tradeoff though, like how longer lifespans increase cancer rates
>>
>>82179205
This isn't a PD, it's a retarded version of an elk hunt.
>>
>>82182831
He's probably one of those anti-natalist shills that believes life and no life have equal value.

I think it's easy to see how damaged he is when he can't even process the moral of a child's parable. He probably has autism. Subjective things have no value. Nothing has value unless it can be applied broadly to all cases. There is 1 and there is 0 there is black and there is white and there is nothing, nothing in between.
>>
>>82182819
Subjective value is value. All value is subjective, but this does not negate the existence of value.
>>
File: 69698082.jpg (7KB, 126x168px) Image search: [Google]
69698082.jpg
7KB, 126x168px
>>82183140
kikyama is dead
>>
>>82182769
It also makes me wonder how much resentment there's going to be when the villains are all down or reformed. Because all the normie, powerless superheroes are just going to go back to normal life. With Gotham safe and the Joker dead, there's no reason for Batman to still do his cosplay thing every night. He only did that because regular means weren't doing the trick, but now they are. Maybe he'll still kick burglars in the teeth, but at that point he's just doing it for shits and giggles, which suddenly makes it a lot less noble.

But Superman is still Superman. He can still fly, he's still indestructible, he can still turn back time by flying around the goddamn planet. He becomes a much bigger asset without being tied down by constant supervillainy, or the need to maintain secrecy that comes with it. Sure, maybe he doesn't want to, but again: Then his motivations suddenly become a lot less noble.

Of course, that illustrates another point. The powered heroes essentially become slaves to their superpowers. Because suddenly, they are no longer in control of their own situation. There's simply going to be an area you naturally excell at, and that's what you'll be doing. Fire power people with the fire department, Aquaman clones with conservation agencies, and so on. Heroing suddenly becomes much more of a drag. Punch in at 9:00, use your powers to do what amounts to a job, clock out.

That's the mistake the comic makes. Her worth in the post-super society isn't determined by her education, but by her pre-existing superpowers.
>>
>>82183082

No, it isn't. I'm sorry, but you are simply wrong.

The older brother's argument is there is only non-zero importance in helping all of the starfish. The younger brother's argument is that there is still non-zero importance in helping a single starfish. That's it.
>>
>>82182970
This
>>
File: is that comic sans.jpg (122KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
is that comic sans.jpg
122KB, 1500x1500px
>ethics
>anything but 100% subjective value judgements
>creating complex houses of cards built entirely on a foundation of subjective and personal judgements
>ever
>>
>>82183082
Anon what the fuck is wrong with you?

I think you have autism. Like for real. Talk to a doctor.
>>
>>82180726
The job market is a zero sum game.

Dean's List and Summa Cum Laude are a zero sum game.

life ain't fair.
>>
>>82179205
The prisoner's dilemma survives "cheap" talk.

It only really starts to break down under expensive talk.
>>
File: 1454942863085.png (40KB, 825x635px) Image search: [Google]
1454942863085.png
40KB, 825x635px
>>82183278
>It's subjective, therefore it's wrong
>>
>>82183140
Are you the starfish autist? I have to admit your spoiler is really cute. Trying to act so detached and above it all.
>>
>>82182999
I've been thinking how to make that exact setting. the superhero stuff start morphing in to science fiction as the generations go on.
1st gen: superheros vs supervillains
2ed gen: supers vs world that doesn't want to change but has too
3ed gen: space shit, haven't figured out the details yet other then capes are in fashion because capes are fucking awesome.
>>
>>82177812
Why is Jimmy Olson so mad at his professor?
>>
>>82183140
>some of you guys are pretty alright though
But should we go to school tomorrow?
>>
>>82183299
Wow, edgy

I think someone smart enough to make the Dean's list wouldn't be enough of a retard to fall for some philosophy class trick.
>>
>>82183193
Just having the world change period would be a godsend. Every time something cool happens to the world in a cape comic it gets taken out back and shot in the head. Like New Krypton.
>>
>>82183278
In a blank space you can either create, or give up. One option gives purpose, the other denies it. You don't need your morality to be objective as long as you value it yourself.
>>
>>82183363

Actually, the starfish autist was probably the primary motivator for that.

I mean, to be fair, I was thinking it since like ten posts in, but he/she pushed me over the line.
>>
>>82183236
But starfish anon is autistic you see. His brain seriously cannot understand that subjective things have value because his theory of mind is non existent.

He's like a robot.
>>
>>82183386

Don't pick the white stone tomorrow.
>>
File: nnnn.jpg (54KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
nnnn.jpg
54KB, 853x480px
If this entire comic wasn't so far up its own ass this could be extremely entertaining instead of boring. This is SCREAMING for the Kaiji treatment. I need my twists, not this low level psychoanalysis bullshit. You can progress this narrative while doing something actually fucking entertaining with it.
>>
>>82183451

Evidently, this "low level psychoanalysis" is still beyond a lot of /co/.
>>
>>82183451
What's the Kaiji treatment?
>>
>>82183258
PS 238, the great kid cape webcomic that no one talks about, actually deals with this some.
>>
>>82183451
What's the kaiji treatment?
>>
File: 1455598138412.jpg (209KB, 756x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1455598138412.jpg
209KB, 756x1100px
>>82183465
might as well tell us the answer then, oh great leader.
>>
>>82183278
Thought experiment.

Assume there is one intelligence in the universe that observes everything perfectly. His thoughts are factual and objective.

Now assume another intelligence arises that sees everything the wrong way. His thoughts are wrong and false.

But now both views are subjective.

But only one is right.

Subjective is not a synonym for "incorrect". A person that claims 2+2 makes 4 is right. A person that claims 2+2 makes 5 is wrong.

Learn to rational humanism scrub.
>>
MILES DID NOTHING WRONG
>>
>>82177812
what the hell is wrong with that facial hair
>>
>>82183343
This is why millennials suck. Anything that violates their little safe space world bubble is "subjective" and therefore "wrong" to them.
>>
>>82183451
I would enjoy this comic if THINGS actually happened.

>>82183465
A lot of people on /co/ are only here to talk about Steven Universe. It doesn't surprise me.

>>82183522
Not him, but it's not an answer, it's a question. The entire situation is meant to make you take a step back and examine your own reasons for doing what you do and why you defend your reasons for what you do.
>>
File: ZaWa.png (41KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
ZaWa.png
41KB, 600x600px
>>82183490
>>82183468
Kaiji's a manga about gambling.
Part of the fun is the absurd twists, leaps in logic, ramping up of stakes, and tension of the game being played.

Even if you don't wanna go full-crazy on the high stakes gambling tension, there's no point to introducing a game like this over several pages and doing this little with it. You need a twist, a catch, a snag in the thought experiment that raises the energy of the scene or else it's just a huge fucking waste of the audience's time.
>>
>>82181748
>It also doesn't help that she can't take pain killers or a guy sets her on fire.
Does knowing the context for this make it less retarded somehow? I'm really hoping it does.
>>
>>82183451
>>82183468
>>82183490
>These niggas don't know about Kaiji

>Zawa Zawa intensifies
>>
File: Itg.jpg (104KB, 454x470px) Image search: [Google]
Itg.jpg
104KB, 454x470px
>>82183606
>>82183606
Yeah, okay.
>>
>>82183343
It's subjective therefore it's subjective.

>>82183411
>b-but if thats true then its not nice!

>>82183567
Well how about this. Both entities see the objective truths by virtue of being able to see everything. They know the location of every single particle in the universe, every single wave, every little bit of energy. Any further claims are purely subjective and no more right or wrong than any others in a vacuum.

Suck my dick for you know it to be true.
>>
>>82183628
it's more the teacher trying to prove a point then a "must win this game" type thing. still would be really nice to have something happen so you can justify this being a comic and not a webnovel like worm.
>>
File: 1455334597300.jpg (575KB, 1800x1188px) Image search: [Google]
1455334597300.jpg
575KB, 1800x1188px
>>82183690
>truth
>>
>I'm supposed to believe that every single person in the class except the protagonist picked black.
>There's not a single person who sees through the professor's bullshit and knows they're not getting failed on the spot.
>There's not a single white knight faggot.
>There's not a single nigga stupid enough to think that OBVIOUSLY everyone will vote black.
>Only two of them actually understood the rules and voted white, everyone else SOMEHOW misunderstood an extremely simple game or just pretended to.

You're stretching my suspension of disbelief here, comic.
>>
>>82183690
>Any further claims
what other claims are there?
>>
File: fingerless-gloves-fedora.png (117KB, 320x263px) Image search: [Google]
fingerless-gloves-fedora.png
117KB, 320x263px
>>82183278
I don't have a fedora big enough to tip at this.
>>
>>82183690
Except the second makes incorrect statements based on factual data. Same data set, different subjective interpretations. Only the first is correct. Both are subjective.

Subjective does not mean "right or wrong" anon.

It's like how two people can get different scores on an IQ test or a math test. Same observations, subjective responses, one is right and one is wrong.

Be honest, are you the starfish autist?
>>
>>82183757
Wouldn't the rational response just be to choose black so John doesn't hate you? That's the only thing at stake here.
>>
>>82182958
Choices have no value except in what they produce, which is the only means to judge them. That's what we're doing.

>>82182984
>So there's really only two possibilities. Either everything has meaning, or nothing does.

False dichotomy.

>>82183001
I didn't say it was meaningless, I said it was subjective.
>>
>>82183722
That's not the point I'm making. In order for this kind of setup to have payoff, there's GOTTA be a twist. It doesn't have to be overblown, even though that would be extremely entertaining, but something as simple as a kid who picked white arguing to go double or nothing and being given a tough choice like having to sacrifice his grade for one of the other two.

No matter the outcome, you can have these sorts of twists to eventually flow into the point the comic is presently making: that the world is unfair, that the protagonist sees things too simply, and that things need to be taken in perspective.
>>
>>82183722
I just realized that that's my number one gripe about this comic. It doesn't need to be a comic at all. It doesn't really integrate art and writing into making a compelling story, the art is just... something to look at while the plot or moral is being directed at you. Even then it's not MUCH to look at.
>>
>>82183767
Their 'thoughts'.

You say that intelligence A observes and thinks and is objective in his thoughts. I say his thoughts are as subjective as B's thoughts. The only true objectivity either of them experience is that which they directly 'observe perfectly'.
>>
>>82183659

I won't apologize for not being a weaboo. If anything you should apologize to your poor parents for being one yourself.
>>
>>82183796
>correct
>incorrect

You assume an objective metric by which to judge, friendo :^)
>>
>>82183805
>This backpedaling

Starfish anon would watch a person die because saving that person does not save everyone.
>>
File: archer.jpg (50KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
archer.jpg
50KB, 500x313px
>>82183134
>>82183146
>>82183152
>>82183169
>>82183174
>>82183236
>>82183259
>>82183288
>>82183440
>lel autism

I'm more amused that any of you chose to stay on long enough to spout memes and miss the point of philosophical discussion.

>Subjective value is value.
No it's not.
>The ability to help one being negates an inability to help all beings.
No it doesn't.
>Crying autism at an anonymous image board outs you as a braying jackass and an all around intellectual shill.
Yes, that's true.
>>
>>82183865
It's a good thing you've offered up a rebuttal then.
>>
>>82183838
objective and subjective are not mutually exclusive

and

what other thoughts could they have if they had a perfect model of the universe?
>>
>>82183752
Why don't emo/emo redux look anything like their descriptions?
>>
>>82183805
Actually it's just a regular Dichotomy.
>>
>>82183873
>Backpedaling
Only if you deliberately misinterpret what I said.
>>
>>82183865
>B-But teacher! Why is did I get an F on my math test!

>I'm right! All subjective opinions have equal value!

There is in fact a wrong way to do things anon.
>>
>Moral of the Story
Don't trust people
>>
>>82183903
Sure is. Your notions of true and false are based purely on an assumption of an objective calculus by which you can measure this.

Subjective doesn't equal wrong, however for something to be true or false in an unqualified state, it must also be objectively so.

Come on kid, it's not that complicated.
>>
>>82183649
wolverine type chick really wants to help people but is go at nothing but fighting, she figures that if she can make herself a organ farm that would help a ton of people as her organs are rejection free. a bunch of anti super people don't like this and one of them tries to set her on fire while she on the operating table. her regen makes it so pain meds are useless on her.
>>
>>82182208
That's what *I* call the Nirvana Fallacy. I can't get everything I want, but that's no reason to do nothing at all.
>>
File: merely pretending.jpg (16KB, 370x191px) Image search: [Google]
merely pretending.jpg
16KB, 370x191px
>>82183895
Don't try and dignify yourself by pretending to be retarded, you're flipping on your own point.
>>
>>82183649
Its an interesting setup, but the comic's main problem is that it has interesting setups with little payoff or exploration. I crunched the numbers on her donating organs, she'd start clearing waiting lists within a few months and have them cleared out completely within a few years. However, since the government has to hide the fact that the organs come from a superpowered source it would logically mean a massive cover up to prevent protests and reprisals. It means not only would the government be violating informed consent, they'd be forcing people needlessly donate their organs and be throwing away good organs to keep up the charade.
>>
>>82183895
>>Subjective value is value.
>No it's not.
you are a fucking autist, and an idiot, because personal motivations drive all action

>>The ability to help one being negates an inability to help all beings.
>No it doesn't.
no one says that, you idiot
you are adding to many negations in the counterpoint
>>
>>82183972
>>82184000
>>
>>82184000
No I'm not, you and yours spout "autism" and claim I lose by dint of your own stupidity.
>>
>>82183974
>I can heal therefore pain meds don't work on me
Never really made sense.
>>
>>82183941
That sure is a jump. Now in this situation, both myself, the teacher, the education board and society in general are taking a selection of wholly subjective beliefs and treating them as 'given' by which we may then construct our values upon. It's not objective, but it's treated as though it is.
>>
>>82183803
Pretty much. Literally every kid in this scenario is a mouth breathing moron. They're made stupid to progress the plot on its needed course. Humans are too contrary and spiteful, ESPECIALLY in young adulthood and in fucking America, to be uniformly swayed in this kind of setting.
>>
>>82183606
I bet you're a millennial yourself.
>>
>>82183757
I thought the rule is everyone picks black for it to count. even if Professor Douchewaran is lying why not play the game to its logical conculsion?
>>
>>82183930
no its actually false
it conflates two dichotomies

Has Meaning - Does not have meaning

Nothing has meaning - something has meaning

the counter of "all" is "not-all" not "nothing"
>>
>>82183895
Put on a trip so we can block you.

>point of philosophical discussion
The point is that you have autism. Part of autism is an inability to see the value of subjective experiences.

You are autistic. Not in the meme sense but in the "you need a bottle of pills" sense.
>>
File: 1455135416320.jpg (437KB, 1124x1136px) Image search: [Google]
1455135416320.jpg
437KB, 1124x1136px
>>82184037
>actions don't have meaning because it's subjective
niggerfaggot
>>
>>82184006
>Personal motivations drive all actions.
And are therefore valued differently based on context and actor, lacking definite value outside of subjective perspective.

So, to review, subjective value is not value.

>autist
I feel like we should be playing a game or something every time some idiot poster uses this meme.
>>
>>82184037
if they lose from thiers,
you lose by your own stupidity too
>>
>>82184080
>autism
There are easier ways to admit you don't have an argument, anon.
>>
>>82184100
>So, to review, subjective value is not value.
Value does not need to be Universal you utter autist
>>
File: gold.png (345KB, 462x463px) Image search: [Google]
gold.png
345KB, 462x463px
>>82184033
Got a response or not?

I could be on r/atheism right now, so hurry it up.
>>
>>82184003
wait, really? that just screws up the one bit that made me feel feelings.
>>82184039
something to do with her body breaking down the meds before they have any real effect.
>>
>>82184043
>Taking a selection of wholly subjective beliefs and treating them as given
>Math is subjective

What exactly is your criteria for something being objective? Can you be shown anything that you would call objective?

Hell, what's your criteria for value?
>>
I had a class where the professor set it up so that nobody had to take the final if everyone agreed to not take the final.

So naturally, some people need to take the final to pass the class, and some people are afraid that if they take the final their grade will drop and they won't pass the class. The entire class that day was spent with people getting increasingly pissed at each other, mostly the 'afraid of failing' people yelling at the 'guaranteed to fail with no final' people that they deserved to fail and shouldn't ruin the grades of everyone else. This wasn't a small class either, it had something like 100 people in it (we were in a big auditorium).

Of course any argument asking other people to fail so you don't have to work harder is bullshit and nobody was convinced so everyone had to take the final, but boy was the butthurt palpable.
>>
>>82184065
Exactly.
No matter what happens in the scenario, it's absurd that NOBODY but the protagonist would pick black.
>>
File: 1455943167677.png (365KB, 519x611px) Image search: [Google]
1455943167677.png
365KB, 519x611px
>>82184147
>>
>>82180556
My first day of Psych 101 my prof spelled it out pretty well.
"I get paid the same whether you pass or fail this course".
He went on to explain that he would be happy to help anybody that needed it, but that you couldn't expect him to step in and help you unless you asked for assistance.
>>
>>82184100
>subjective value is not value.
Nice vapid assertion
>>
>>82183803
why would John hate you? the only reason to hate you would imply good reason to look out for yourself
>>
>>82183757
I would have picked black just to see if the teacher's really got the balls to fail me for it.
>>
>>82184170
>Adorable.
>The point of the story is that futility is more desirable than efficiency, that trying is all that matters and results can be safely ignored so long as everyone walks away from a situation feeling better about themselves.
>That's the point of the story.
Yeah sure, you were stealth agreeing with us this entire time. Give it a rest.
>>
>>82184140
Anon. Everyone is calling you autistic.

I think its time you took a step back and talked to someone about this.

HAVE you talked to someone?

I'm being serious. Seek help.

>>82184143
It's part of the autism. One thing does not have value unless it can be applied broadly and to all circumstances.
>>
>>82184170
>I said the value of an action is subjective and nothing more.

>>82184100

nigger just stop embarrassing yourself
>>
>>82183757
You meant to type "picked white", dumbass.
>>
File: 1458132610072.png (22KB, 267x292px) Image search: [Google]
1458132610072.png
22KB, 267x292px
>>82183606
Anyone born between 1980 and 2000 is a millenial.IE the target audience of this site.

>>82183451
This comic started out pretty interesting with the world building, mystery of the disappearing mutants, and the evil guy. But at 2 pages a week its slow down causing the social justice issues to take over completely instead of just be a part of the book like it was before.
>>
>>82184143
False dichotomy. Value is subjective, that does not make it meaningless.

>Autist
I feel like you have some issue or personal problem that causes you to overuse this word.
>>
>>82184164
Maths is likely objective, it's simply an expression of the fundamental laws of reality. Likewise, things like positions of fundamental particles, their interactions, waves, energy, etc. That's all objective. At it's core, reality is particles interacting in predictable ways. Our perception of these things, however, is prone to error.

Anything beyond that requires extrapolation, assumption, perscription and interpretation and is ultimately therefore a product of our subjective perceptions of reality. In a maths test sure the questions will have objective answers, but there are an infinite number of subjective factors between the equations having a value and a teacher handing you a sheet with F in big red ink.

Value is the result of layer upon layer of these abstractions. For the concept of a value to have any weight, the assumptions that underpin it must be agreed upon by everyone involved - and even when this is the case, it holds no truth save for between the parties who agree upon it.
>>
>>82183757
I'd knowingly pick white and then if anyone called me on it I'd say I didn't understand it either

Of course, this is all in a situation where I didn't pipe up and give the professor one of my axioms
and in a situation where nobody out of a class of probably 30 did either
>>
>>82184315
>Value is subjective, that does not make it meaningless.
>>82184100

nigger YOU said it made it meaningless

keep flipping so that people you will never meet will think that you are less of an autist
>>
Why didn't she just give him her pass stone snd steal another pass stone for herself?
>>
>>82179205
Why not? They can all verbally say that they will cooperate, but that doesn't remove the incentive for going against your word and defecting.
>>
How many people in this thread are acting dumb because they genuinely want to learn something about philosophy?

A lot of the time when I want to know something but everyone is being too dickish to properly explain it, I just act like a complete tool and say things that are blatantly wrong so that someone swoops in to correct me.

People seem far more likely to provide information out of spite rather than out of altruism.
>>
>>82184335
I'm not skeptical of the idea that people would do that, I'm skeptical that only one person would pick black. Whether from confusion, a sense of moral fortitude, stupidity, what the fuck ever, you NEVER get a landslide like this in these sorts of situations unless serious physical harm is on the table.
>>
>>82184321
So is there more value in views that cut down on extrapolation, assumption, and error? In other words, are views that hew more closely to the objective bone of truth more valuable than others?

For instance, a belief in evolution vs a belief in creationism.Would you agree these are both subjective views? Which belief has the greater value?
>>
>>82184398
The real problem that wouldn't work is that the professor didn't give them a chance to talk together
or talk period
>>
Gonna need to read some Miracleman to wash this nonsense out of m.y cranium
>>
>>82179205
It still works because there's always going to be that one asshole, but it doesn't work uniformly. There should be at least a few more white stones.
>>
>>82184413
The author only did that so the sfp could seem extra super righteous when she inevitably proves the professor wrong
>>
>>82184283
>>82184229
You're the idiots conflating "value" with "meaning," not me. You need to stop and think about what it is you're arguing about.

>>82184229
Right, because the value of rescuing one thing or person is not consistent in all cases. Subjective value is not value - I've never argued otherwise.

>>82184250
>Autism
You're beginning to worry me, anon. You use this word like a pacifier or security blanket. I think you may have a problem.
>>
File: AUTISM.gif (537KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
AUTISM.gif
537KB, 480x270px
>Anon outs himself as legit autistic in a thread

I'm saving all of this.

>>82184439
Gaiman run was better than the Moore run. This is a fact.
>>
>>82184039
Where is the confusion? Her healing is like deadpool. It auto returns to whatever save state it was set to. Pain drugs or anything that alters the bodies chemicals would be quickly burned through unless you flooded the person's system.

>>82184003
I don't get the informed consent violation part. But yea re reading it, its clear the author didn't stop to think that the ability to donate 20 some odd livers and 9 hearts a day would outpace the people who actually need given time.
>>
>>82183805
>I didn't say it was meaningless, I said it was subjective.

You used the word "meaningless" right there in the quoted post.
>The act of kindness to one starfish is completely and utterly meaningless to the one that isn't saved.
>>
>>82178408

Look, I went to art school and while I did take two or three philosophy classes as gen. eds, they obviously weren't given much of an emphasis even by the professors.

However, for normal college students, was this a real situation they would encounter? Like with having their grades depend on a silly game?
>>
>>82184455
But if the professor is worth a single fucking shit he'd point out
>>82184386
and the argument is instantly over: she's a tyrant who is about her own goals instead of the benefit of others.

There's literally no way for her to be in the right here and if the author treats her as being in the right this shit is officially irredeemable.
>>
>>82184151
http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-3/page-39-2/

The page in question. Currently there are 93,000 people on the kidney transplant waiting list with an average of a five year wait. According to the comic, in one year Feral will donate 10,950 kidneys.
>>
>>82184496
>Pain drugs or anything that alters the bodies chemicals would be quickly burned through
Then she should starve to death or die of thirst.
>>
>>82184481
Blow your fucking brains out, Gaiman's run can't even exist without Moore's and does none of the deconstruction
>>
>>82184481
desu archive exists too
>>
>>82184476
keep backtracking autistAnon
you are almost to the cliff-edge

you know you can always just stop responding, and no one can chase you
>>
>>82184476
>You're begging to worry me anon
Anon it's not just me. That's the scary thing.
>>
>>82184371
>value = meaning
You're an idiot. I'm sorry, I've done this the polite way for too long. You're just fucking stupid.

A subjective action CAN have meaning. Meaning and value are entirely divorced from one another, and both rely on subjective perspective.

That I keep reminding you that value IS subjective at all is only to try and turn you back towards the discussion at hand, but you're just too fucking stupid to stop and consider what you've been told and how it relates to what's transpired in the thread.

You're just fucking stupid.
>>
File: horrorthreadspecial.png (257KB, 516x526px) Image search: [Google]
horrorthreadspecial.png
257KB, 516x526px
>>82184476
>You're the idiots conflating "value" with "meaning," not me.
Oh, no, he's going all out!
>>
>>82184481
>I'm saving all of this.
But that's honestly just a step below his level of autism
the only thing saving something like this does is inflate your e-go (that is electronic ego) for no reason
I mean, congrats, you won a logically moral victory over a guy who everyone thinks has autism
There's no inherent meaning

Or do I mean value
>>
>>82184398
It's not much of an incentive. If it reaches the point where everyone openly claims they're going to pick black, anyone who picks white after that is deliberately fucking everyone else over and has to deal with the consequences of pissing off the entire class.
>>
>>82184414
Well that's purely a value judgement.

I'd say that a subjective statement becomes more 'grounded' the less other subjective assumptions it's built upon, yes. Saying "This box is red" is significantly closer to being an objective truth than "This box is beautiful", but ultimately the gap between something simply existing in space and time, and something being perceived and understood and commended upon is titanic.

In terms of creationism vs evolution, it's all about those assumptions. You can argue, but that argument will be oil wrestling unless beforehand you ensure the underpinning assumptions are shared and unyielding. Greater or lesser value in a vacuum is so subjective and far-removed from the baseline of fundamental truth that it's meaningless unless applied to a very specific context.
>>
>>82183895

What is *not* subjective value, anon? What is objectively valuable?
>>
If they were only given five seconds to think, wouldn't most of them choose black? Unless you don't understand the instruction, I think most peoples' first instinct would be to assume everyone would /obviously/ choose black, with the doubt only setting in after actually considering it for a little.
>>
>>82184516
as already pointed out, she could stall and paint his stone white with white out, or "lose" his black stone, or not chose a stone at all and avoid the punishment
>>
>>82184589
basic needs for life such as water
>>
>>82177812
Bump
>>
>>82184516
>she's a tyrant who is about her own goals instead of the benefit of others.
A tyrant has the singular ability to dictate the workings of the system. She isn't deciding whether people pass or fail, she isn't telling anyone they MUST pick a stone (which is why she hands the random student her own pass stone and doesn't take anyone's fail stone), she doesn't start teaching the course, etc. It's a pretty standard bending of the rules every single superhero does when faced with corrupt power, and not that difficult a kobayashi maru to solve.
>>
>>82184586
>psh nothing personal kid
>you just weren't paying attention

seriously, sometimes the best move is to just leave
>>
>>82184606
>not chose a stone at all
I'm honestly surprised that nobody did this
I'm 20 years old so I know my age group is full of smarmy fuckers like me
The professor never said that they had to play the game nor that they'd fail if they didn't play the game nor that they couldn't purposefully play the game wrong just to see what would happen
>>
File: freeformrpg.gif (1023KB, 297x168px) Image search: [Google]
freeformrpg.gif
1023KB, 297x168px
>>82184586
>kid kid kid kid kid kid kid kid kid
>>
>>82184589
>What is *not* subjective value, anon?
Nothing. But even that statement is, technically, subjective. So we can really do this all night.
>>
>>82184609
thats not fucking objective you retard, not everything needs water
>>
>>82184597
It depends on the person.
Either way, the game going the way it did makes no fucking sense and anons have pointed out several ways that that the protagonist could have resolved this without looking like a dumbass or a Mary Sue.

The writer is a fucking hack.
>>
>>82184531
She seems to have Mr. Immortal tier healing. Rather than actually need nutrients to live she just returns to what her body considers safe. In short she doesn't need to eat or drink to begin with. And unlike the Flash doesn't have to worry about replacing the energy spent regrowing whatever got fucked up.
>>
>>82184650
I came here to post this
>>
>>82184671
Everything that has the ability to see or have or place value needs water in some way
>>
>>82184169
I don't see how it's absurd that you have a class with only one white knight.
>>
>>82184650
>>82184642
refer to >>82184476

It has nothing to do with his age, just his overreliance on the word "autist."

But on one really doubted the two or so people who've been driving this thread into the ground actually read what's being posted.
>>
>>82184506
For normal college students, they'd be wondering why their professor is talking about axioms in Phil 101 when their textbook is about properly setting up a logical statement.

>>82184307
Frankly, the thing about the disappearing mutants is perfectly understandable. First-gen bio-dynamics are all the same age as the protagonist, do you really want to deal with the risk of someone who can control viruses or produce infinite energy as a child?
>>
>>82184699
don't tell that to religious fags, because i'm pretty sure their god's don't need water
>>
>>82183757
There is legal precedent that a professor's words are a verbal contract. So while he cannot legally fail you for the game, he could be held accountable for his instant pass claim. So picking white really should guarantee that they pass.
>>
>>82184606
Yeah, and instead she was a dumb shit.
There's no winning this one, she already fucked up beyond reason because she's got tunnel vision.
>>
>>82184711
>just his overreliance on the word "autist."
>his
>/co/ is one person

are you serious? you have flipped every autist flag there is
>>
>>82184506
>However, for normal college students, was this a real situation they would encounter? Like with having their grades depend on a silly game?

Obviously not.
>>
File: SFP-3-74-for-web-690x1024.jpg (238KB, 690x1024px) Image search: [Google]
SFP-3-74-for-web-690x1024.jpg
238KB, 690x1024px
i don't get it, why is she pretending to be a good person now. Last chapter she literally let a serial killer escape.
>>
>>82184723
Understandable yes, but it'd still make for an infinitly more entertaining story than ex hero turned rapist killer or the adventures of fire douche.
>>
File: 1447466591587.jpg (84KB, 627x456px) Image search: [Google]
1447466591587.jpg
84KB, 627x456px
>>82184711
This whole thread went to shit as soon as someone tried defending the Starfish Paradox (lel). It's been made better by one bootyblasted anon pulling damage control as hard as he can.
>>
>>82181193
There is little need to reply to truth, anon. Most replies are merely one faggot telling another faggot that he's wrong about something.

Just like I'm doing right now, faggot.
>>
>>82184725
That's 2 separate arguments because you can't say whether or not god or gods do or don't value water
And you also don't know whether or not god or gods need water as well

Why/how would you, someone who I assume isn't religious because he refers to other people who are religious as religious fags, know the answers to those questions
>>
>>82184649
I did something like this once with the 'tragedy of the commons' game, where everyone is supposed to take 'fish' out of a pond until it dies to teach the lesson that selfish behaviour leads to bad outcomes.

I just didn't take anything each round and 'died', but because of that my group's pond didn't die out on the first pass through of the game. I get the feeling the teacher cared less about us cheating the system and mostly got upset because I was being a cheeky little smartass about it, which is understandable.
>>
>>82184481
>Gaiman run was better than the Moore run.

Yeah, I just read the Golden Age. Last issue was gloriously bittersweet and I'm almost dreading how we're going to freefall into "The Dark Age" since there's this underlying dread beneath all the wonder - the horrific implications, the burgeoning inhumanity, and a subtle omnipresent ennui - that all but states that "this is as good as it gets and it can't last."

For instance, the fellow that almost went to London the day Bates went mad. Miracleman might've gotten him laid and given him a perfect world, but he didn't bother fixing the trauma that still haunts him way into the present.
>>
>>82184597
It's the prisoners dilemma.

Yes - the most optimal outcome is for everyone to play black... but it's not the outcome with the least risk to the player.

Yes - everyone knows that if they all play black, they all get A's... but they also know that if just one person doesn't go along than playing black gets you an F. Most people aren't going to risk it and most people are going to assume everyone else has that same realization.
>>
>>82184797
Has it?

I've been having a pretty cool debate about the fundamental nature of reality on the side.
>>
>>82184782
>All of that
Jesus fuck just make her go full super villain already.
>>
>>82184826
>got upset because I was being a cheeky little smartass about it
Good
If they have a point, it should be able to stand up to cheekiness
>>
>>82178408
> teacher intentionally malforms the outcome by tampering with the rules of the game
> aka "cheating"
amazing.
it's like the professor WANTS to get sued by the students for literally stealing their fucking tuition.
>>
>>82184609

That's assuming life itself has value. If the life of a starfish doesn't have value, why does yours?

>>82184657

Don't bring actual arguments into this, I'm asking starfish-anon.
>>
>>82184849
You must have been here longer than me if you've enjoyed this thread.
>>
>>82184574
>More grounded than
No quibbling. Which is more true, an evolutionary world view or a creationist world view? These are two mutually exclusive subjective views and my question is do you see a value difference between them?
>>
Reminder that Furnace died for your sins
>>
>512 replies

>111 posters in this thread.

Jesus, you two. Get a room.
>>
>>82184849
Yeah but it's been getting drowned out by the other argument. You know what I want to talk about? Cross series power level fights. Who in this series could beat the shit out someone from a different series. Who from another series could kick this whole universe's ass.
Who wants to fucking start?
>>
>>82184875
>That's assuming life itself has value
No it's not

>If the life of a starfish doesn't have value, why does yours?
But that's a different argument entirely
Also, Starfish need water too, that's a terrible example
>>
>>82184875
I am starfish anon.
>>
>>82184870
Cheekiness and non-participancy in logic games is all well and good but it misses the point completely.

There are plenty of real world scenarios analogous to these kinds of logic games, except that in real life there's rarely an "abstain" option.
>>
>>82184929
Nah fuck you, I'll waste my time if I feel like it.
>>
>>82184954
>No it's not
yes it does you fucking retard

if life has no value then by your definition the need for water is not objective
>>
>>82184872
oh please. the teacher isn't actually going to toss them out of class. Just like he's not going to actually give everyone else an A for the semester. That's just a thing he said to set the fake stakes of the game.
>>
>>82184723
>control viruses or produce infinite energy as a child?
I'd love for there to be a twist that the virus kid was like Poison ivy but with germs and they had to kill him before he made aids that spread like the common cold.
just cause I person has nice powers does not mean they themselves are nice people.
>>
>>82184797
It's not really damage control when the only arguments made against it are people crying "autist."

I mean if you're going to make an argument make one, but don't pretend you've been doing so up to this point.
>>
>>82184954

Let me break this down.

If requirements for life have objective value, and if they have objective value *because* they are a necessity for life, then it follows that life itself has objective value, doesn't it?

In that case, why does life have objective value?
>>
>>82185012
Hey look, it's the starfish fucker claiming he's not wrong again. It's okay, buddy, we get you're mad, just go off and drink some milk or something.
>>
>>82185012
Anon, they have been making arguments. They just attach "autistic" at the end because you're checking all the boxes.
>>
>>82185012
>only arguments

thats just the one you latched onto, because of your fragile ego

there where plenty of arguments that you are completely avoiding because you know your full of shit
>>
>>82184905
It's not quibbling, it's qualifying. You've proposed two possible statements that are at the top of a pyramid of subjective understandings and assumptions and relate to multiple areas down the way.

With the information I have and the assumptions I take for granted, I consider evolution to be the most likely course of events to have occured. Ultimately, however, every single part of evolution relates to a subjective extrapolation. There is no such thing as 'a gene', for example, in the barest sense, it's something we create based on a series of understandings and interpretations. At the same time, however, evolution occurring does reflect a general series of possible purely physical occurrences that happened as opposed to creationism which contains its own selection of physical and grounded events that would have occured - and in that sense, one of those (or possibly another option if we were all wrong) does, in a way, reflect an interpretation of the objective truth.

wew
>>
>>82184968
Well then at least whip your cocks out so we can all enjoy your dick-measuring contest.

I am tired and I just want to see at least one goddamn penis in this thread so that it's not all for nothing.
>>
>>82184967
Anon's example is a great show of times where it does work, though.
>>
>>82184983
It doesn't matter if life has no value, because water is necessary for life to happen
Therefore, even if nobody values it, water is valuable
Even if everyone dies, then water is still valuable, because water is necessary for life
>>
>>82184790
Nah, look at her diatribe here >>82184782, and keep in mind she's basically Golden Age Superman. Now imagine that coming from someone who can literally call down plagues. The idea that some people have to die because the risk of them being alive is too great is a fantastic place to put a moral argument.
>>
>>82185039
>then it follows that life itself has objective value

I can't help but feel there are two separate definitions of value at play, here. One refers to what is actually a non-value, a process that will proceed according to the laws of nature regardless of values assigned to them, where the other refers to a more self-preservational determination of value.

Am I too far off?
>>
>>82184967
>except that in real life there's rarely an "abstain" option
Then the games should reflect that
>>
>>82184963

Fine, then. If nothing has objective value, and if (according to >>82183895) subjective value is not actual value, then why do anything? Why get up in the morning? Why argue on Inuit graffiti message boards? Why is the starfish paradox "fucking horrible"?
>>
>>82185107
This, he illustrated a point. The tragedy of the commons isn't solved by not eating.
>>
>>82185039
>then it follows that life itself has objective value
No
The point is water is necessary for life to exist
That makes it valuable
Water is necessary for something to exist, it has to exist or else something else won't exist
That alone makes it valuable
>>
>>82185114
and now you are conflating "necessary" with "objective", and "valuable"

keep going down the rabbit hole, you are actually causing real life brain damage to yourself trying to think in knots
>>
>>82185137
>He's still on
>Didn't even get a trip code

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPY5P0TaC4k
>>
>>82185009
I'd love it if the infinite energy kid accidentally vaporized himself.
>>
>>82185143
>then why do anything?

Because value is subjective, you massive fucking retard.
>>
>>82185182
>and now you are conflating "necessary" with "objective", and "valuable"
but valuable and necessary are two ideas that aren't mutually exclusive
your definition of both doesn't include the notion that they can be the same thing
and I'm using both those ideas together to give a definition of objective
>>
>>82179508
He'd probably do something similar if anything. He only goes full gambling demon mode when his own life is at stake. This game is similar to the savoir game set up, so he'd try at first to get everyone to not betray each other since that's the ideal option.
>>
>>82177812
I don't get the point can't she just throw the stone at him and jam a fist up his anus?
>>
>>82185137

I'm trying to figure out what you define as value, so really, the definition of "value" in this discussion is up to you, not me.
>>
File: 1447885057200.gif (2MB, 500x209px) Image search: [Google]
1447885057200.gif
2MB, 500x209px
>>82185209
He keeps coming, he can't be stopped, it's the magical starfish!
>>
>>82185270
"Value" is a subjective assessment of importance dependent on context.
>>
>>82185282
Why are you so devoted to acting like a fucking idiot on an anonymous image board? You're a moron. Deal with it or make an actual argument.
>>
>>82185237
>aren't mutually exclusive
you are conflating them, regardless of exclusivity, you retard

>your definition
quote me or shut the fuck up
why do you refuse to actually quote people you massive autist fuck?
>>
>>82185173

So something has objective value if it is a prerequisite for something else to exist?

Wouldn't that mean the boy's action of throwing a starfish back into the ocean would have objective value, since it's a prerequisite for (for example) that starfish's future offspring to exist?
>>
>>82185209
Anon please stop I'm cringing.
>>
>>82185332
Give up, loser, you've been proven wrong already.
>>
>>82185372
Then go away. Jesus, stop being a fucking idiot.
>>
>>82185209

Okay. That still doesn't explain why subjective value is not real value, or that the kid on a beach taking actions that result in subjective positive value is "fucking horrible".
>>
File: mobile goalposts.gif (97KB, 410x324px) Image search: [Google]
mobile goalposts.gif
97KB, 410x324px
>>82185393
Yeah, we're the dummy. It's not you, it's never you. Here, reiterate your original point. We'll be fair this time, honest.
>>
>>82185393
Is my subjective opinion bothering you anon?

Don't let something valueless bother you.
>>
>>82185375
Not really. I've responded to one argument in the whole thread and the rest of it has been two idiots latching on to it for some reason.
>>
>>82185302

What is your actual argument? I think things have gotten confused here. What was the point you were trying to make with the "Starfish Paradox"?
>>
File: alrighty then.gif (2MB, 250x205px) Image search: [Google]
alrighty then.gif
2MB, 250x205px
>>82185439
Value is a subjective assessment of importance.

You have extrapolated the simple statement that value is subjective into some argument against life and the universe, because, again, you're a fucking retard.

My issue with the Starfish Story has nothing to do with the boy feeling as though he's successful, it has to do with the moral saying feeling successful is enough. That is literally it. End of discussion.

You and this fucking retard >>82185438 have been impossibly difficult for the entire thread because you don't stop typing "autist" long enough to fucking read.
>>
File: coolstorybrah.gif (3MB, 360x203px) Image search: [Google]
coolstorybrah.gif
3MB, 360x203px
>>82185442
Give it to us again then, if you're so brave. State your original argument, your definition of value, and let us try and pick it apart. You won't though, it's just the way you are.
>>
>>82185477
at this point hes just fucking baffling and making contradictory claims so that people fucking move on in confusion
>>
>>82184782
That page is just her venting, she acknowledged how fucked up it is for her to say that. and she didn't let the killer escape, the killer distracted her with an illusion and then got away.
>>
>>82185530
>it has to do with the moral saying feeling successful is enough.
and what is your problem with that exactly?
>>
>>82185477
>My issue with the Starfish Story has nothing to do with the boy feeling as though he's successful, it has to do with the moral saying feeling successful is enough. That is literally it. End of discussion.

>>82185531
Right here, anticipated your retardation yet again.
>>
>>82185530
Here we've got the point of it. Why isn't being moral enough, dude?
>>
>>82185578
Feeling successful is not equivalent to being successful.
>>
>>82185586
thats a lot of words with no actual statement in it
>>
>>82185586
answer the question fag, why isn't being moral enough for a person?
>>
>>82185615
according to you it is because success is subjective
>>
>>82185615
He WAS successful in part, which is unquestionably better than doing nothing (and therefore failing completely).
>>
>>82185594
You've had the point of it for 500 posts. Are you serious?

What do you mean by being moral?
>>
>>82185361
>you are conflating them
well yeah, I'm using the two definitions together to define another one

>quote me
I'm taking your definition within it's context
You are replying to my posts by saying that as if it's a bad thing
It's not

>>82185362
>So something has objective value if it is a prerequisite for something else to exist?
If you want to get into specifics, no
There's nothing saying that starfish will have offspring or that the starfish hasn't already had offspring
Also, the difference there is that you're talking about actions leading to other actions
I'm talking about existence leading to existence, at best, you're going to shorten the example down to the existence of the starfish in the ocean leads to the existence of the starfish offspring, to which I'd say
Then there are definite truths
And the universe is based in definite truths
which means that every action has value, or at least a value, because it leads to another
and everything everywhere has a value, almost recursively
>>
>>82185530
>My issue with the Starfish Story has nothing to do with the boy feeling as though he's successful, it has to do with the moral saying feeling successful is enough.

If all value is subjective, then wouldn't that mean that feeling successful is just as valuable as actually being successful?

But I feel remiss if I don't point out that that ISN'T the moral of the story; the moral is that the boy has created positive value (subjective or not) in the life of that one starfish, which is still greater than positive value in the life of zero starfish.
>>
>>82185615
I finally have to thank you, for stating your feeling on the subject. Let's start again from this point. I don't think the boy was trying to feel successful on changing all of the starfish's situation. He felt good for contributing, that's all.
>>
>>82185012
I never called you an autist. Someone else did, but don't pretend like my arguments aren't there.
>>
File: 1437842291521.jpg (5KB, 189x154px) Image search: [Google]
1437842291521.jpg
5KB, 189x154px
>everyone ITT refrencing anime as solutions to improve this comic

When will you fucking Jojo faggots fuck off to /a/ permanently?

Seriously your day-glo cocksucking show is not welcome here.
>>
>>82185759
Literally any anime would improve the shitshow that is this pseudo philosophical bullshit someone praised as a webcomic
>>
>>82185656
>If you want to get into specifics, no
>There's nothing saying that starfish will have offspring or that the starfish hasn't already had offspring
>Also, the difference there is that you're talking about actions leading to other actions
>I'm talking about existence leading to existence, at best, you're going to shorten the example down to the existence of the starfish in the ocean leads to the existence of the starfish offspring, to which I'd say
>Then there are definite truths
>And the universe is based in definite truths
>which means that every action has value, or at least a value, because it leads to another
>and everything everywhere has a value, almost recursively

Can you please try to write in complete sentences? I'm having a lot of trouble understanding you as is.

That aside, now that we've established you're not Starfish Anon, I don't actually know what argument you're trying to make. Let's get away from the definition of value for a second and address: what argument are you trying to make, regarding value?
>>
>>82185759
Weaboo faggots founded the site, you dummy. They've got you beat by miles. Shit, J-List is the only fucking that advertises here.
>>
File: louie.gif (1MB, 305x239px) Image search: [Google]
louie.gif
1MB, 305x239px
>>82185617
(You)
>>82185622
What is being moral?
>>82185643
So again, go back and read the original post. The moral makes the argument that a SUBJECTIVE victory is equivalent to an OBJECTIVE victory. Saving one life the boy has SUBJECTIVELY valued is equivalent to OBJECTIVELY saving lives the boy has not valued, i.e. the starfish he doesn't throw back in. He is saying the living starfish and the starfish doomed to die are of the same importance within the same sentence he says making a difference to one is all that matters.

It's a literal paradox. He can't value all their lives equally if he makes no attempt to save all of them, reasoning that saving one or two is sufficient.

This is just depressingly drawn out.
>>
>>82185677
I already stated it 500 posts up.
>>
>>82185812
>The moral makes the argument that a SUBJECTIVE victory is equivalent to an OBJECTIVE victory.

that is not the starfish moral you utter dipshit
>>
File: homer.jpg (111KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
homer.jpg
111KB, 500x376px
This thread makes me feel a lot better about myself for all the wrong reasons.
>>
>>82185661
>If all value is subjective, then wouldn't that mean that feeling successful is just as valuable as actually being successful?

No, because the context deals with something that isn't subjective. The starfish the boy does not save will die. That is not up to interpretation.
>>
>>82185812
>He can't value all their lives equally if he makes no attempt to save all of them, reasoning that saving one or two is sufficient.
The boy is feeling good because he took time out of his life, which has it's own needs, to do something nice for someone else, even if it's as small as preventing a starfish from dying. It was a moral act, he can feel good about it, he doesn't have to throw his life away singularly tackling a minor issue. Good acts should allow you to feel good.
>>
>>82185888
Life and death are simply subjective interpretations though anon. There is no objective means by which to judge.
>>
>>82185661
The moral is that the boy has created positive value for himself.
>>
>>82185789
>regarding value
objective value exists
water is necessary for life to exist, we know this is true, and the very fact that this is true and will always be true means that there is or are definite truths.
Because existence as a whole is made up of these truths, truths are valuable.
But you have a weird definition of value, so you probably even wouldn't accept the number one as an objective value.
>>
>>82185812

He's saying that making a difference to one matters, not that making a difference to one is ALL that matters.

No one has this interpretation but you.
>>
>>82185888
according to you every starfishes value is subjective, both the saved and the unsaved

so their deaths are not "being interpreted"

some saved is better than none saved, for the boy
>>
>>82185759
Talk shit if you want to, but Kaiji is actually entertaining while this shit isn't.

Sorry we referenced something a filthy gook drew as an example of how to make this super progressive comic better.
>>
>>82185962
and what is your problem with that?
>>
>>82185812
>The moral makes the argument that a SUBJECTIVE victory is equivalent to an OBJECTIVE victory.

>>82185962
>The moral is that the boy has created positive value for himself.

you can't even keep a strait story between single posts

seriously fuck off
>>
>>82185981
That's no difference at all. He acknowledges in the story he cannot save every starfish, literally saying saving one or two is just as good.

I don't give one shit what you or anyone else thinks, as if 400 posts of arguing with you wasn't enough of an indication. Stop using that argument.
>>
>>82186052
Shut the fuck up you blithering idiot.
>>
>>82186055
>literally saying saving one or two is just as good.
You persist so hard at this last one. He's saving what he can, and he has benefited the starfishes he's saved. That's it, that's all.
>>
>>82186011
I've already explained it. It's taking a personalized, subjective moral and presenting it as an objective statement.

Going to bed soon.
>>
>>82186110
Because it's the core of the fucking story.
>>
>>82185980

I'm having a lot of trouble understanding you and I don't think the problem is on my end. I think you have a lot of trouble communicating your message, because you assume I have knowledge that I don't, or worse, you giving words definitions that I do not.

Can you please find an online dictionary that has this definition of the word "value" and link it here, along with the number of that particular definition? I feel like you're using some obscure academic definition of the word, like "strong" as a fundamental force or "strange" as a type of quark.
>>
>>82180726
If 4chan has taught me anything, some people just act like dicks because they have something to prove. I bet some people would choose white to show how cool they are for being purely rational and not caring about that schlub.
>>
File: your opinions.png (131KB, 270x259px) Image search: [Google]
your opinions.png
131KB, 270x259px
>Thread starts about some shitty webcomic.
>Devolves into anons sperging about a story about some kind of fucking starfish.

/co/ is officially retarded.
>>
>>82186055
>just as good
No, the point is that some is better than none even if its not all. It illustrates the difference between a can-do attitude (the boy) and a pessimistic one (the brother). The boy does something, even if it is a small something. The brother does nothing while bemoaning his limitations instead of doing what little he could.
>>
>>82186092
nice explanation, autist
>>
>>82186191
>the point is that some is better than none even if its not all.

Then I'll concede the point. Good night.
>>
>>82186122
no one makes that argument, and that is not the moral of the story
>>
>>82186145
No it's not goddammit. The boy acknowledges the futility of trying, by himself, to pick up every dying starfish. Despite this, he fucking helps the starfishes even if other starfishes will still die. What's the value of that? The starfishes he's helped will live, and the boy will have contributed to a massive problem. Why do you measure every act as either all or nothing?
>>
File: Starfish-Hunter-1.jpg (136KB, 504x741px) Image search: [Google]
Starfish-Hunter-1.jpg
136KB, 504x741px
>>82186055
>literally saying saving one or two is just as good.

He never says "just as" good. You keep attributing this equivalency to the character when the character never states or even implies it in the story itself.
>>
>>82186216
Nigger that's what every anon in this thread has said from the beginning.

Seriously kill yourself
>>
>>82186216
It was fun discussing this. Sleep tight.
>>
>>82186216

Thank you for being big enough to say that. A lot of other anons would have pouted and refused to do so.
>>
>>82186235
>Why do you measure every act as either all or nothing?
Because he hasn't contributed to anything. But again, I concede. Too tired.
>>
>>82186255
>when SFP used this story in the last arc while the former super was murdering rapists
>changed all the characters in the starfish story to girls because diversity

considering how worked up over this new arc everyone is, I'm wondering how I missed the /co/ pissfight from the last issue.
>>
>>82186315
You're not conceding shit, you last-comment ass nigger. Go to bed feeling superior, you sad cunt.
>>
>>82186385
I concede the point. I was wrong. My interpretation was poorly conceived.

What else do you want? Toss another "autist" in there too, you massive fucking faggot.
>>
>>82186315
I double dog dare you to shut the fuck up and not get the last word you double nigger autist
>>
>>82186407
>Because he hasn't contributed to anything.
Because he hasn't contributed to anything.Because he hasn't contributed to anything.Because he hasn't contributed to anything.

Are you fucked in the head? Maybe you're secretly two people, who knows~.
>>
>>82186407

>>82186422

I triple dog dare you
>>
>>82186452
>>82186437
What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>82186157
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrinsic_theory_of_value
This is only an example of the philosophy behind my thinking

I think I'm being way too broad with how I'm saying things and assuming that you will either take your counter-argument to a specific way

I think your definition of value is purely related to a specific set of things that surround the notion of subjective worth. That alone means that no matter when, you will see anything as subjective worth.
The number 1 has an objective value. You could say that 1 american dollar would be maybe around 110 yen, but the concept of the number 1 still exists. Even among subjectivity, there is an objective value.

Maybe the problem is that you don't understand that you can use subjectivity to find objectivity
>>
>>82186407
Quadrupled, you don't even have to admit defeat, just shut the fuck up.
>>
>>82186470
Seriously you tripple nigger autist

one last chance

just leave the fucking thread
>>
>>82186470
Yeah, what's wrong with me, like I'm the problem.

>>82186315

Why do I have to link you your own posts? Are you simple? Are you incapable of taking blame on yourself?
>>
>>82186508
>>82186497
>>82186544
I don't understand what's got you all so upset.

Are you just sore losers?
>>
>Concedes
>Bunch of anons call him a nigger
Really? The debate is over, y'all can settle down.
>>
>>82186585
Holy shit
you have a problem you Quadruple nigger autist
>>
>>82186585
yeah we lost, we lost trying to fucking teach you shit. We're right up there with your parents and your schools we lost
sooooooooooooooo harddddddd.
XDXDXDXDXD.

Get real, wimp. Quit.
>>
>>82186497
>>82186508
>>82186544

Hey, shut up. No one's here to read your rage posts.
>>
>>82186668
I am
I have to read something while I'm waiting for my (You)s
>>
>>82186657
Fuck off you quintuple shitstain
>>
>>82186657
>>82186666
You just seem pretty upset is all.

Just wondering what's spurring it on.

Compensating for something perhaps?
>>
>>82186668
He can concede in a non-stuck up way or I shall taunt him again.
>>
>>82186422
>>82186452
>>82186497
>>82186508
>>82186657
Y'all aren't even the anon he conceded to and you all still act like sore winners.
>>
>>82186713
Last
>>
>>82186713
OHHH LOKK ye old you have a tiny dick:)))))))))))
GREATFUcKING COMEbaCK /b/ro!!!111111
>>
File: 1443673433481.webm (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1443673433481.webm
2MB, 480x360px
>>82186713
You don't have to concede, it's not your fault, there there. go to sleep, starfish.
>>
>>82186714
>>82186742
It must be hard being so upset all the time at dumb things on the internet.

I kinda feel sorry for you.
>>
>>82186775
LAST
A
S
T
>>
Da fuq, now I'm on Starfish's side. Argument's over guys, let it go.
>>
>>82186757
>>82186771
I suppose the thing that makes your tears unusual is the impotence of it all.

Previously people had arguments, I suppose you're out of those now so making upset noises will suffice.

It makes me wonder if you cried much as children.
>>
>>82186775
We've finally gotten down to the last comment, have we? You were just trolling us, it wasn't real at all. Shame on us, right, for falling for such a simple trick ;>)
>>
>>82186828
LAST
ASTL
STLA
TLAS
>>
>>82186828
go to sleep, starfish, there's nothing for you here.
>>
>>82186786
>>82186829
And do you want to know the best part of it all?

Starfish left 10 minutes ago, I just took his name to enmadden you guys.
>>
>>82186476
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrinsic_theory_of_value

That's an economic concept. I don't know what it has to do with your universal truths. Are you saying that the objective value of something is the sum of the materials and activity required for it to exist?

What does your "1 dollar" example have to do with this discussion? Are you saying that the number 1 will still exist even when it's not being used? How is that relevant? And what does it have to do with subjectivity being used to find objectivity?
>>
>>82186864
oh yeah, and I was pretending to be mad too.
LOL right?
>>
>>82186864
Yeah we guessed

LAST
ASTLA
STLAST
TLASTL
LASTLA
>>
>>82182874
It's definitely lowered my expectations. But I got what I paid for.

>>82183628
>GAMBLING APOCALYPSE KAIJI.

See also, Mahjong Master Akagi.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the author. Maybe this is trying to set up a future payoff. I think if you're playing it straight, and spending a week and a half on the fucking thing, it also shouldn't be this fucking confusing. It's not as if the author is subtle.

>>82183841
Wrapping yourself in your ignorance isn't a good look, anon. And just so we're clear, Kaiji and Akagi aren't exactly fan favorites among the weeaboos either.

>>82184175
Direct, to the point, and straight up BF skinner.

>>82184533
Did they ever fix whatever the fuck was up with the rights issue on that?

>>82184826
What you did is a perfectly valid response. The part of environmentalisim that cares about population control. The acetic virtues. Of course, the self extintion crowd is cheeky and smug as fuck as well.

>>82184967
Maybe. But in some cases, it can expose another, also useful point.
>>
>>82183835
Some people like to draw comics more than they like to write, even though comics are a tougher medium to use correctly than literature.
>>
>>82186895
That being said, your impotent pantwetting is p. funny.

I bet you throw tantrums irl.

:^)
>>
>>82186171
Hey, I was expecting this to go on a full on /pol/ercoaster.
>>
>>82179572
No it doesn't work because all someone had to do was say "lets all pick black" and unless someone would purposefully fuck up the choice for no reason at all, everyone could just pick black

THERE IS NO RISK
>>
>>82186948
And yet, you're still here. Leave me hanging, anon, make me look like the idiot.
>>
DIE THREAD DIE!
>>
>>82183835

I have this complaint about a lot of comics. They don't make use of the medium, they just write prose with illustrations.

SFP at least has the excuse that it's a send-up of the superhero genre. A lot of comics-that-don't-need-to-be-comics don't even have that.
>>
>>82182351
This is retarded because there are countless times throughout history where a collective has created great change because individuals agreed to do something
>>
File: The End Is Coming.png (171KB, 286x395px) Image search: [Google]
The End Is Coming.png
171KB, 286x395px
>>82187002
>>
>>82187089
Yes, you're right, now let the thread die.
>>
>>82187103
INTO THE ABYSS
>>
>>82186868
>That's an economic concept
It's a concept being used for economic purposes, it's more of a philosophy than an economic concept

>I don't know what it has to do with your universal truths
It's just an example of the theory being applied to economics, you can expand it out to greater levels

>Are you saying that the number 1 will still exist even when it's not being used
Almost
I'm saying that even though everyone can use 1 to represent many things, and that even though 1 to someone can be something else, everyone knows that 1 has the value of 1.

>And what does it have to do with subjectivity being used to find objectivity
I'm saying that subjectivity can be used to find objectivity because there are multiple posts saying that specific situations are only subjective and not objective. There are objective truths within those situations.
Just as there are objective truths within subjective truths, you can find objective value in subjective value.
Which is why I brought up the number 1. 1 american dollar is valued at 112 japanese yen which in turn in valued as some other amount of money units for some other country. But even though 1 dollar is more than 1 yen, the value of 1 is still 1.
if you showed someone 1 object then a pile of 2 objects and then a piles of 3 objects, so on and so forth, and then counted them out in your language, they could understand no matter what language they spoke, as long as the understood their own languages definition of 1

because the value of 1 is 1

This concept expands to other values that aren't necessarily identities
>>
>>82184407
I've noticed that as well and done it too. People like feeling better than others but they also hate being bothered by plebs. So if you act like an infuriating moron, they'll take the bait. But if you ask nicely, they'll give at most a quick answer and then ignore you.
>>
>>82186981

But as the group grows, and the familiarity everyone has with each other lessens, the risk that someone will pick white increases.

In theory, it should only increase by a small amount, but if everyone is smart enough to recognize that the risk exists, than they will be tempted to pick white to protect themselves. And if they are smart enough to realize that someone else may pick white for that reason, then they are MUCH more likely to protect themselves from the choices of people protecting themselves.

Like the prisoner's dilemma, the mentality behind the "selfish" option isn't usually true selfishness, but from going two or three steps up the chain.
>>
My professor did something like this but on a way smaller scale. He basically just gave extra credit, like 1%, if everyone marked A. However, you would get extra credit if you marked B but would take away that credit from everyone that marked A.

A girl stood outside the door and told everyone to mark A. I marked A and I got the extra credit so I assume everyone did too.
>>
>>82187179
Woops I forgot to mention that if everyone marked B, no one would get extra credit.
>>
>>82187179
So everyone in the class acted to their collective benefit? That's pretty cool dude.
>>
You are all missing the real reason this page is so dumb. These are literally non-stakes, there's no college where you can't drop a class with no grade hit in the first week. It cannot be anything but a thought experiment, or the teacher would be out of a class when everyone ditches.
>>
>>82187157

Okay, so 1 is always 1. This is objectively true even if the term used for it is subjective.

If a grapefruit costs 500 yen, then the value of yen is subjective, but 500 is always objectively equal to 500.

So far, we've got tautologies. But you say this concept can be expanded. How?
>>
File: 1406963517845.jpg (41KB, 354x424px) Image search: [Google]
1406963517845.jpg
41KB, 354x424px
>>82187397
>Thought experiments in a philosophy class? This page is so dumb!
Thread posts: 669
Thread images: 60

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.