[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /CO/ just wondering what you are currently reading? Would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 12

Hi /CO/ just wondering what you are currently reading?

Would you recommend it?

What is a brief summary of the premise?
>>
Just started reading Captain America. Thanks for asking.

I just started, so who knows. It's Spencer, so it's either great or dogshit. Acuna art is worth reading in itself though.

Captain Americas black sidekick took over the mantel. He has a black exploitation super spy or something too.
>>
>>81964363
Why does Dr. Fate hate dogs?
>>
>>81964443
There's something really irresponsible about Captain America taking a plane. Captain America has enough super crazy racist villains, so I'm assuming a black Captain America is going to attract even more. What's he going to do if someone tries to blow him up out of the air? If two jocks can figure out his identity, I'm sure everyone else knows it too. Am I to believe Hydra or whatever doesn't have spies watching him all the time? Why aren't they attacking?
>>
Rereading Giffen and Rogers '06 Blue Beetle series.

Most definitely, its probably one of the best teen hero runs and one of the best Legacy runs out there. Cully Hammers art also adds a very "cartoon" element to it which really helps kind of solidify it as its own persona.

Jaime Reyes wakes ups in the desert after having been missing a year and has an alien scarab attached to his spine. Instead of trying to hide his powers from his friends and family he is upfront with them and they're all understanding and caring, there's no bullshitty "I can't let my parents know" kinda thing because, again, away for an entire year.

Then after this he learns about Ted Kord and Dan Garett and with help tries to honour their memory the best he can while also discovering the origins of this alien bug stuck to his spine.

OP are you reading Doctor Fate? Would you recommend it? I know he's meant to be showing up in the new Blue Beetle run
>>
File: justice2.jpg (220KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
justice2.jpg
220KB, 1024x768px
>>81964363
Op here , this is what I've read.

Just finished Alex ross' Justice trade which I think is probably a master work tiered story. I'd says it's the perfect intro to the DC universe.

I just picked up the books of magic which is kinda old now but I never read it before. It's a boys journey through the magical landscape of dc.

The new doctor Fate has been quite fun.

I also picked up Marvel's realm of Kings which I haven't opened yet.

Kingdom come also was a fun critique of the dark and gritty age of the 90s

The first two are highly recommended by me.
>>
>>81964508
Hey there I never read a Jaime Reyes book but young Justice got.me interested in the character so I'll try to find it.

Also yes I am reading the new doctor Fate it's an interesting take of the character and I seem to really enjoy the strange art style. I'd recommend the first arc of him versus Anubis. It really delves into Egyptian mythology.
>>
File: file.png (336KB, 312x623px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
336KB, 312x623px
Hhahahahaha waht
>>
>>81964693
Lol is that Luke cage
>>
>>81964508
I'm reading Giffen's JLI right now and I know that Booster Gold (and maybe Guy among others) show up in the Blue Beetle series. So I was wondering if you'd recommend me finishing JLI before starting up Blue Beetle for their appearances?
>>
File: jld.jpg (97KB, 411x625px) Image search: [Google]
jld.jpg
97KB, 411x625px
>>81964363
Currently reading Detroit era of Justice League. I've seen many times that people say it's worst line-up ever. I like team but stories suck. All no-name villains and Despero comes five issues before run is done.
>>
MARTIAN MANHUNTER
Strongly recommend.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/dc-sneak-peek-martian-manhunter-dc-comics-2015
http://viewcomic.com/?s=martian+manhunter
>>
>>81964443
>>81964506
>>81964693
Just read the first issue.

Pro
+ Art by Acuna
+ Blacktain America feels like his own character. Really set him apart from Steve.
+ Bang for your buck

Con
- Plot is all over the place
- Social media Captain America
- Kickstarter Captain America
- All the social media references. "So gonna tweet about meeting Captain America!"

3/5 imo

>>81964857
What happened since the world blew up or wahtever?
>>
>>81964769
Definitely. I'd finish JLI and the 2 Super Buddy minis before going near Blue Beetle.

You may also wanna read 52 and Booster Gold Vol 2 if you want more Booster to follow up on Teds death.
>>
File: 861901.jpg (181KB, 600x938px)
861901.jpg
181KB, 600x938px
-Volume 1 of Captain America (1968-1994)
-Volume 2 of Catwoman (1993-2001)
-Sword Of Azrael

Catwoman was honestly kind of a surprise, was not expecting to like it nearly as much as I did. Also her 90's outfit is sexy as fuck

IDK, for some weird reason, I really like a good chunk of the Batman spin-off character books (Redhood, Azrael, Catwoman, Cassandra Cain Era Batgirl), while I couldn't care less about the main two (Detective and Batman)
>>
>>81964907
>Bang for your buck
What does this even mean?
>>
>>81964934
I feel his supporting cast are usually just different, more interesting, shades of Batman. At their core they're pretty much the same, but they can be dressed up and played with more than the companies most profitable character.
>>
>>81964658
'06 Blue Beetle > YJ Blue Beetle > New 52 Blue Beetle (Only Jaime I know)
>>
>>81964363
Superman vs Darkseid
Yes
Superman vs Darkseid

Also Amazing Spiderman 18
Yes
Spiderman doesn't want to fight sandman because if he dies no one will care for aunt May
>>
>>81964966
Haha I'm not even sure. The way I read it, it seemed to me like it was a lot to the book. A lot of shit happens. Unlike say a Bendis book that would sell you an issue that was half a fight or something.
>>
>>81964363
>Hi /CO/ just wondering what you are currently reading?

A lot, about 50/50 Marvel & Image, occasional stuff from Dark Horse or others.

>Would you recommend it?
>What is a brief summary of the premise?

Weirdworld from Marvel is beautiful, about a young woman lost in fantasy setting like a Bermuda Triangle medley of lost civilizations. And she teams up with a giant amazon woman. It's a sequel to the Battleworld: Weirdworld story.

Auntumnlands is another Fantasy story about animal people wizards, told in high fantasy style like Wheel of Time. Has a clever sense of humor too.

IDW is putting out an anthology called Amazing Forest with a nice selection of different stories. The scifi ones are particularly good.

The Wicked + The Divine is about ancient gods from different pantheons reincarnated into human bodies that burn out after two years. It's a direct allegory for how modern musicians rise to fame and burn out.

An assortment of Marvel titles like, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Silver Surfer, Moon Knight, Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel, Black Panther, Black Widow, Howard the Duck, Captain Marvel, All-New Wolverine, Howard the Duck,

Shutter, Saga, Nowhere Men, Snowfall, Hellboy & the BPRD, Luther Strode, Injection, James Bond: Vargr, some other stuff.
>>
File: FUM3v.jpg (521KB, 1960x1810px) Image search: [Google]
FUM3v.jpg
521KB, 1960x1810px
Making my way through this list, great stuff. Finished Conquest, would really recommend it if you're into the cosmic side of things.

As for current comics, I'm reading a lot of books. Definitely having the most fun with Ultimates and Midnighter though. I also thought the first issue of Moon Knight was pretty good, looking forward to more.
>>
>>81965156
Moon Knight has always kind of struck me as "what Batman should have been", a tale of schizo with D.I.D. who merely tackles crime head onto to cull his own inner demons
>>
Bump cmon guys let's get some more recommendations
>>
Just finished the Locas stories in Love & Rockets. Highly, highly recommended.
http://www.fantagraphics.com/howtoreadloveandrockets
The Locas stories (aka Jaime Hernandez's works in the L&R canon) focus on the slice-of-life dealings in the neighborhood of Hoppers-13 from the 1980s and later, following the beat of time pretty carefully. Since each story is added fairly slowly and there are some big breaks in time, it means that you catch up with the characters with the same frequency that distant friends might catch up. In that sense, it's very reminiscent of Mad Men's sense of forward-moving time. Beyond that, there's a lot of humor and insight, and overall, it's just a keen portrait of a community, a culture, an experience and its aftermath, the concept of growing up and growing apart, etc.

Currently going through The Sandman, which is pretty cool so far (about 60 pages into the second trade).

Also, planning on looking at Daytripper during the breaks in my Sandman readings.
>>
>>81964363
yeesh that art, no wonder Dr. Fate sells 90 copies a month. How could they fuck up such a timeless look?
>>
>>81967983
The art is actually one of the better parts of the book, IMHO.

It's just that the pacing is SOOOO fucked. Like, I think the consensus is that the first 4-5 issues were exactly the same and didn't move the plot forward at all (nor were they really great with characterization).
>>
File: prv5300_cov.jpg (208KB, 900x1366px) Image search: [Google]
prv5300_cov.jpg
208KB, 900x1366px
>>81967388
Read The Secret History. Four siblings in stone age become immortals and they pull the strings whole time. Some of them are good, some of them are bad, as usual.
>>
File: 1460004327064.jpg (1MB, 3975x3056px)
1460004327064.jpg
1MB, 3975x3056px
>>81964363
>Hi /CO/ just wondering what you are currently reading?
Black Panther by T. Coates

>Would you recommend it?
There's only one issue out, but yes. Even if you only pay attention to the art and colors.

>What is a brief summary of the premise?
Warrior-king tries to rebuild his nation after event fatigue happens, but has to deal with insurrection from citizens who were once loyal
>>
Well, I just started getting into comics, but I did just finish reading Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth. The story starts somewhat similarly to the game, with Batman being tricked by Joker into entering the Asylum alone. It quickly divulges there, with some kinda ridiculously, overly dark images and scenes, and the visual presentation of the comic was interesting to look at, but overall somewhat difficult to parse. The plot revolving around Amadeus Arkham, and how he started the Asylum was also pretty interesting, with the jumps back and forth between that and Batman's plot tying together fairly nicely in the end.
>>
File: 1447251598868.gif (151KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1447251598868.gif
151KB, 300x225px
Vision
>>
>>81969603
It seems like /co/ has been really enjoying this. Personally I rate it 2.5/5. It's readable but for the most part it's pretty dull.
>>
>>81969496
Just in case you didn't know, the game and the comic aren't directly related - the comic actually came out in the 80s. There were tie-in comics in the lead-up to the second game though, I seem to recall.
>>
Recently I've read Betelgeuse and the start of Antares, having only read the Aldebaran books before. I've been reading a bunch more trades than floppies recently - I might actually cancel my pull as I'm something ridiculous like 18 months behind on almost every title, but I still buy and read trades.

I've been enjoying Injustice on here recently too
>>
>>81964508
The Giffen Rogers Blue Beetle run is still my fav teen superhero run.
>>
>>81976402
S Tier - early Invincible.

A Tier - Giffen Blue Beetle, Young Justice Cartoon

B tier - Ms Marvel, Marvel Adventures Spidey from the point Chat joined, Avengers Academy, Young Avengers, parts of Morrison's New X-Men just because I love Beak

C Tier - Mud Man, Gladstone's School for World Conquerers, Runaways, Avengers Arena

Anyone recommend me a Teen Titans run or something else similar I haven't read?
>>
Saga of the Swamp Thing. /co/ recommended it to me and I'm more than happy to recommend it back.
Currently on book 4, where Swamp Thing continues to be lead by the less-than-forthcoming and always scheming John Constantine in hopes of learning more about himself and his role in the world. As much as I like the main plot I find the side issues, one-shot horror stories where Swamp Thing only shows up near the end to bare witness or save whoever may be left, to be far more interesting.
>>
On a big Grant Morrison kick after disliking him for some time.

Finished up his run on Animal Man and immediately moved onto Doom Patrol. Both are great, I think I enjoyed Animal Man more so far, but the Brotherhood of Dada is making a comeback and I'm excited to see what they do.

Wondering if I should go back to Animal Man after finishing Morrison's Doom Patrol run to see where they take the character, any thoughts?
>>
>>81977269
Just finished this recently myself, it's a great run. I think it has some of the best usage of a shared universe I've seen in comics. Characters show up from all over DC, but it never feels like they're trying to sell you another book, they're just a logical part of the story.
>>
File: animal man 19.jpg (96KB, 500x769px) Image search: [Google]
animal man 19.jpg
96KB, 500x769px
>>81977446
Also the covers on Animal Man were exceptional, the art really drew me in, the writing had me stay.
>>
>>81977269
>>81977502
I only have a few issues left and I've been putting it off because I don't want it to end
>>
Brubaker's Batman. I don't get why /co/ hates it so much, it's pretty entertaining so far. I'd recc it.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.