[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the last great CN show? I'm going to say Billy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: Billy_Mandy_Grim.jpg (159KB, 1047x1420px) Image search: [Google]
Billy_Mandy_Grim.jpg
159KB, 1047x1420px
What was the last great CN show? I'm going to say Billy & Mandy. It still had shades of that Grossout 90's humour, and the anarchic spirit that you used to be able to identify with CN. I know that's not the most precise description, but I'm not sure what else to call it.
>>
Early billy and Mandy is nothing like anything that came before it. It's very dark, it doesn't even bother having humor at some parts. Later Billy and Mandy is very golden age spongebob with some more pop culture references thrown in.
>>
>>81879811
Even early Billy and Mandy had a lot of good moments, though I'd say the shift you're thinking of came about once it was given its own show rather than sharing a block with Evil Con Carne.
>>
>>81879760
Over the Garden Wall
>>
>>81879811
IRWIN IRWIN IRWIN IRWIN IRWIN
>>
>>81879760
KND
>>
I wouldn't really call Chowder really all that great, but it's the last CN show that actually felt somewhat like classic CN.
>>
>>81879760
as>>81882444 said. Fantastic miniseries, one of the best things they've made in a long ass time.

And honestly, early Adventure Time . The latest season has been really good so far, but hot damn did the middle suck ass. Early show pretty much captured a 'cartoon' cartoon combined with contemporary stuff, and it was unique. And then people just started to take to the art direction a bit too much...
>>
Sym bionic titan. That is all.
>>
>>81883571
Every once in awhile I get the itch to watch it.

I'm always sad when it's over.
>>
>>81879760

>I'm not sure what else to call it.

Neither do I but I know what you mean. It had "teeth" so to speak. Now whatever comes out is the same sterile empty nonsense. Billy and Mandy feel like real people (as do characters from other older shows) in the meaning that underneath the exaggerated characteristics, behaviours and emotions you can glimpse an authenticity.

The nu PPG is a striking example of this. They aren't cute and they aren't real characters. They're just the tee hee hi hi hi garbage, mass produced trash with no inherent personality as opposed to the real PPG.

I feel like cartoons are dead bros. I feel that it has all irredemably gone to shit.
>>
>>81879760
>What was the last great CN show?

I rather enjoy Gumball, so I guess I'd go with that familia
>>
>>81884479
There are other good cartoons like OtGW and Gumball.
>>
File: pik random.png (790KB, 1250x653px) Image search: [Google]
pik random.png
790KB, 1250x653px
>>81879760
>What was the last great CN show? I'm going to say Billy & Mandy
Absolutely agree. I have all BaM seasons and cant stop rewatching it every damn year. Still feels fresh and funny.
I dont think this show will ever age.
1) style is timeless - in fact its the same kinda style that was popular back in 60-70s and its still popular
2) well written
3) amazing setting
and ladies and gentlemen the MOST important:
4) It's not pandering to any popular shit of its time to gain more views.
>>
>>81886095
>and ladies and gentlemen the MOST important:
>4) It's not pandering to any popular shit of its time to gain more views.
Why do you mean by this? And for fuck's sake don't say tumblr.
>>
File: tumblr_ma3tiyG8Gs1qev9f2o1_1280.png (910KB, 1146x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ma3tiyG8Gs1qev9f2o1_1280.png
910KB, 1146x1000px
>>81886127
>Why do you mean by this? And for fuck's sake don't say tumblr.

1) Tumblr and it's culture
2) Tumblr style of art
3) The most HYPE and WHIMSICAL XDDD things of current generation.

MaM didn't even tried to do a market/youth research and change the show/redesign characters based on that research.

Also i guess internet culture wasn't so big and Important back then and nothing depended on what certain target group thinks about some things.

It's the same reason of how MaM managed to be so dark and brutal sometimes.
Nobody would allow it to me like that these days when every article on some shit-site manages to actually change pop culture.
>>
>>81886367
>1) Tumblr and it's culture
>2) Tumblr style of art
>3) The most HYPE and WHIMSICAL XDDD things of current generation
Not every cartoon is nu PPG nowadays.
>>
File: 14441309484920.png (227KB, 724x407px) Image search: [Google]
14441309484920.png
227KB, 724x407px
>>81886425
>Not every cartoon is nu PPG nowadays
dude it's like every cartoon is whimsical tumblr shit.
Gravity Falls and Over the Garden wall are exceptions.
Clarence is great too but its style is 100% what im talking about.

Can't wait to see Samurai Jack. Im so curious if there will be an episode when Jack being told to respect women, kek.

Also fucking Picrelated. How i want this fucking style to die.
This is the shittiest thing ever.
>>
>>81886488
I'm not certain if Jack ever underestimated an assassin just because they were a woman, so having him be a dick in the new episodes would be stupid

Especially since I don't think tumblr really cares about new Toonami
>>
>>81886488
>dude it's like every cartoon is whimsical tumblr shit.
What is whimsical tumblr shit? Stop talking in buzzwords.
>>
>>81886488
>How i want this fucking style to die.
>This is the shittiest thing ever.
Oh no, an art trend! That's never happened in cartoons before!
>>
>>81886488
>Gravity Falls and Over the Garden wall are exceptions.
How?
>>
>>81886655
>it's an art thread which means we should stupidly swallow it even if its shit
k. no.
>>
>>81886854
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's shit. It's just a trend.
Also, quit typing like this is YouTube.
>>
Is this a secret CALARTS thread?
>>
>>81887092
Yes.
>>
>>81886896
>Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's shit.
I agree. not all people have good taste. this is your level anon - enjoy it while this trend is popular.
>>
>>81886488
/co/ conversations is just a collection of buzzwords replacing actual statements.
>>
>>81887380
>hating this trend means I have good taste!
It's going to pass anon, there's no reason to be so anal. Remember when everyone was drawing like Liefeld/Lee/Silevestri.
>>
>>81879760
Missed it to be honest. It has that quirky humour of the shows back in the 90s, but still portraying it in a dark comedic theme. Quite nice show, but not that great, its above average I'd say... oh Grim is the best character with that scythe and accent
>>
>>81886488
>gravity falls
>not 'tumblr'

You blind buddy
>>
>>81887402
Such is the fate of every cartoon discussion on /co/.
>>
>>81887892
What makes GF tumblr? What makes anything tumblr?
>>
>>81879760
>What was the last great CN show?
i believe that would be ed, edd 'n' eddy, anon
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.