[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Thanos actually that incredible of a villain to be worth all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 14

File: infiniteguantlet.jpg (176KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
infiniteguantlet.jpg
176KB, 850x850px
Is Thanos actually that incredible of a villain to be worth all of this build up? What makes him so compelling?
>>
He's only interesting when written by Starlin imo
>>
He's basically the top of the list of galactic-level threats that Marvel Studios has available to them with the rights issues. It's not that he's particularly great, it's that he's a) the most well known comparably b) the main player in a well known crossover and c) the impetus for bringing most of these characters together in the source material in the past. He's basically default galactic threat for the MCU, not particularly better than other ones.
>>
>>81818839

Giffen did a fine job.

>What makes him so compelling?

1. he's a good character when written well (then again, who isn't?)
2. he's kinda like the 'final boss' of the 616 Marvel universe
3. the whole power gems thing works nicely as a theme for the MCU since it provides them with a nice little set of McGuffins
>>
>>81818807
>Is Thanos actually that incredible of a villain to be worth all of this build up?
The guy killed half the universe once. That does wonders for your street cred.
>>
File: 1451358148052.png (122KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1451358148052.png
122KB, 500x500px
>>81818807
Should've been Doom.
>>
What is even his power

Fucking Drax killed him
>>
He's just a philosophical tough guy, however one his his weakest character traits is that he always "let's the heroes win" since he subconsciously doesn't think he deserves to or something to that effect, it would be fine if it wasn't just a urge asspull.
>>
You don't understand OP. He's got a gun.
>>
Infinity Gauntlet was like event of all events back in the day

Also he's probably the "biggest" of the bads without going god-level that Marvel has the rights too
>>
>>81819054
Drax was engineered to kill Thanos and his power was literally that he would be able to kill Thanos. Not to mention comics Drax used to be a real powerhouse before Bendis got on GotG and turned everybody into flanderized movie versions.
>>
File: w4zhwi7l.jpg (46KB, 640x580px) Image search: [Google]
w4zhwi7l.jpg
46KB, 640x580px
>>81818961
Doom comes after Thanos' defeat, picking up the pieces and taking notes on how to never make the same mistakes.

Well, he would come after if the rights weren't fucked.
>>
>>81819054
Drax is supposed to just be a huge deus ex machina for him although he's been pretty ineffective against him outside of the thanos imperative. His powers are just generic super abilities cranked up to match cosmic threats and a ridiculous resolve. Of course this doesn't really matter since he's been written as a chump a lot.
>>
File: sad-doom.jpg (53KB, 496x393px) Image search: [Google]
sad-doom.jpg
53KB, 496x393px
>>81818961
>>81819131
>tfw there will never be a proper cinematic Doom
>>
>>81819173
the worst thing is that it cant even be like a surprise

fox selling over the rights to FF would be plastered all over the place
>>
>>81819173
Marvel will save us.
>>
>>81819054

before he turned into Kratos, Drax was a cosmic level powerhouse.
>>
I wouldn't hold out too much hope for Thanos. For instance, Zemo is one of the Marvel universe's most nuanced and most compelling villains (he's kind of like a combination of Captain America and Doctor Doom without the super soldier serum, without magic, without super scientific genius) and by all accounts he's nothing special in CA: Civil War.

Not many of the MCU villains have been. Loki gets talked up by some people but I still think he's fairly hamstrung compared to comics Loki. Thanos will likely be just another big, bad guy - which in fairness, is how he's been used in the comics quite a bit (like right now in Civil War 2).
>>
File: 2460300-draxstarbusting.jpg (144KB, 707x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2460300-draxstarbusting.jpg
144KB, 707x1024px
>>81819218

case in point
>>
>>81819221
Loki gets talked up because he's been a major player in three of the damn movies while other villains have died or are just one offs.
>>
>>81818807
I'm kind of worried since they seem to be going all out with Doc Strange on visual effects and reality modification effects, what will they have to do to top that when He uses the gaulet, might go over the top.
>>
>>81819199
What sucks they had a perfect opportunity in Fan4stic. They could've had it to where Doom was a powerful ruler of the other dimension they go to.
>>
>>81819340
Or maybe just not do trippy visual stuff but just show how powerful Thanos truly is with it, like showing crowded streets in big cities, and half the people on screen suddenly die.
>>
>>81819221
>and by all accounts he's nothing special in CA: Civil War.
And by all accounts you mean "that one IGN review" since everybody else says the opposite
>>
>>81819401
They didn't die, they just vanished like The Leftovers. That's also not that impressive when he also basically wrecks the whole planet including even fucking with Asgard.
>>
>>81819451
No, I mean the spoilers that say he's no longer a Baron (so no possible Born Better, ever), that he doesn't fight at all, and that he's mainly a bit player in the movie as a whole. From multiple reviews and sites.
>>
So how will they be able to defeat Thanos in the movies?

The heavy hitters will be Thor, Hulk, Doctor Strange, Vision, Scarlet Witch and Captain Marvel. Apparently Carol will be the most powerful superhero in the MCU, their own version of Superman. I'm guessing they'll have her at full Binary powers at all times.
>>
>>81819498
He'll probably just lose the gauntlet like a retard in the comic and then get beat up.
>>
Darkseid better. No company wars intended.
>>
I just really hope for a seizure warning before the film. Maybe two releases for those that cant handle the light show
>>
>>81819498
Vision will probably die, Thanos needs his gem for the gauntlet.
>>
>>81819536
Yeah well his power level doesn't make him any interesting. He doesn't have any character.
>>
I want to read Thanos written by Starlin. So far I've only read the second half of Thanos Vol 1. Any recommendations?

I was thinking of starting with Iron Man #55, continuing with whatever his best appearances in Warlock, Captain Marvel and Silver Surfer are, then Infinity Gauntlet and Infinity War. Maybe some inbetween stuff, I don't know if Thanos Quest, Infinity Crusade, Infinity Abyss, Warlock Chronicles or Infinity Watch are worth reading? Then I'd read Thanos Vol 1 again. And then I'd finish with Infinity Revelation, Infinity Relativity, Infinity Entity and Infinity Finale.

Would that be a good idea? Anything I can/should skip? Anything I left out?
>>
File: top 10 anime battles.jpg (45KB, 599x443px) Image search: [Google]
top 10 anime battles.jpg
45KB, 599x443px
>>81819054

This. I mean I never really read Infinity Gauntlet, but I read Annihilation.

Without the gauntlet, he's pretty much just another strongman with some lasers? Well, that's how he was in Annihilation.
>>
>>81819638
Read everything collected in the Warlock by Jim Starlin trade. That's the most notable stuff he's done featuring Thanos regarding actual quality outside of The Thanos Quest.
>>
>>81819616
He's the ultimate face of nihilism. True baddie with no redeeming qualities. A Multiversal oppressor.
>>
>>81818916
killed almost all his kids too after fucking half the galaxy
>>
File: thanos.png (1MB, 1280x1399px) Image search: [Google]
thanos.png
1MB, 1280x1399px
>>81819638
>>
>>81818807
It is going to entirely rely upon how willing Marvel is to allow Thanos to build pathos around his overwhelming force. He needs to be a presence on the screen that dominates and casts the heroes that we've had multiple movies to figure out into an abyss of despair.. or just plain kill a good amount of them.

The Mad titan requires a fair deal of godly hamming-it-up and scenery chewing, interspersed with sheer brutish might applied in a calculating manner.

If they make him the first big bad that doesn't get used for comical relief, which the other villains have been, then he might pull it off... Director and actor depending.
>>
File: 1438212466352.jpg (929KB, 1280x1998px) Image search: [Google]
1438212466352.jpg
929KB, 1280x1998px
>>81818807
>>
>>81819199

Maybe not. Maybe not.

They might broker a deal like that in secret precisely for what it would do to us if he suddenly appeared in a teaser.

"Prepare..."
Dark green cape, camera pans up... someone in the audience shrieks...
"..To meet..."
Metal gauntlet, menacingly bunches into a fist... the first hysterical screams begin...
"..Your Doom."
The face mask. The jaw moves. His eyes glint with cold cruelty. Everybody in the audience orgasms. Several people have to be carried out.
>>
>>81819926

Thanos as the champion of Death itself, as the universal guardian of the balance in the cosmos, with Adam Warlock as his counterpart - that's what I would like most to see.

Thing is, he is mad. You could view his entire history as episodes of sanity and insanity. He's at his deadliest, and yet least dangerous, when he is lucid.
>>
>>81819921
Directors will be Russos, so I doubt they'll make him a quippy jokester like Ultron.
>>
>>81819998
>tfw they give us a Doom-led movie with the FF as the antagonists just to break the curse of FF movies
>>
File: 1407869372892.jpg (1MB, 1920x2951px) Image search: [Google]
1407869372892.jpg
1MB, 1920x2951px
>>81820041
I was just reading up on that part
>>
>>81820092
>>81819921
This is what the writers said about IW this week

>All that will change soon, according to screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, who promise a huge entrance for Thanos in Avengers: Infinity War. "We don't get an element of surprise. Everyone knows he's coming, and yet he hasn't had terribly many scenes that have illuminated very much about him," Markus explained, adding, "You can count on a lot of scenes where we illuminate a lot about him very early."

>Thanos’ entrance into the wider MCU isn’t the only task they face. With the amount of characters expected to be included in both films, it's certainly no small chore to make sure everyone gets their due. "The challenge is hanging on to character as motivation when you blow the canvas up to the entire universe. And not to make it seem like all your people look like tiny little video game characters running around," McFeely shared. "It's just trying to balance character moments in the middle of big, crazy Jim Starlin action," added Markus.
>>
>>81820182
That's hot.
>>
>>81820182
>let's make Thanos a teen slasher
Worst origin
>>
My biggest hope is that when the gauntlet is used the effects have Kirby dots
>>
>>81819521
Chris Pratt will distract him with a dance giving Rocket an opening to blow up the glove and the avengers each catch a stone.
>>
File: 1407868356383.jpg (901KB, 1920x2951px) Image search: [Google]
1407868356383.jpg
901KB, 1920x2951px
>>81820701
its where he met the love of his life though
>>
>>81820765
> Thanos turns the tables and busts a cosmic move
>>
>>81820242
I think Thanos's mom was supposed to be hottest bitch on Titan
>>
>>81820182
That underwear looks like it was added after the fact.
>>
>>81819498
Someone wrote a pretty entertaining ending for it sometime ago here. Maybe someone capped it?

It went something along the way of Thanos either killing or just brutally beating all the Avengers, GotG, everyone. Then he started to scream to space, trying to get Death's attention.

Rogers starts to get up, but Thanos mocks him, and smashes him back down. Steve is suddenly in his favorite bar from WWII. Everyone he knew back then is there, all having a good time. Becky is also there, and they start dancing.

Then everyone starts to disappear, and Cap tells Becky that he is sorry for not being able to stay longer.

He opens his eyes, and get's back up again, this time really pissing Thanos off. Cap blocks a punch by Thanos, but the shield shatters. As Thanos starts to throw another punch, Cap desperately tries to get a hold of something, anything. Finally his hands find Mjolnir, and he hits Thanos's fist with it, thus breaking the Infinity Gauntlet, and somehow killing/destroying Thanos too.
>>
>>81818904
After all this shit ends, what do you think will be the next McGuffin?
>>
>>81821254
Ehhh, you can't really top the gauntlet. I guess they could do some obscure shit like the infinity sword or something.
>>
>>81821122
that would be fucking great
>>
>>81821339
I thought maybe they could do something with the Inhumans. Remember that Xmen arc where, after all the mutants died, a few of them started to pop up around the world and it was super important for the Xmen to reach them or something? I though they might go for something like that
>>
File: 1452750848744.jpg (11KB, 250x236px) Image search: [Google]
1452750848744.jpg
11KB, 250x236px
>>81821122
That would be amazing. I hope someone capped that.
>>
>>81821122
>mjolnir
>stronger than the gauntlet
NOT ON MY WATCH
>>
>>81820901
>The Avengers break out a choreographed break dance routine, ending with a reverse pyramid, with Hulk at the base.

>But in a shocking turn of events, Thanos pulls out some new funky fresh moves, using the time stone to bring alternate versions of himself in to act as back-up dancers.

>How can the Avengers possibly hope to compete with that? And him using the Mind Stone to rig the judges?
>>
>>81819498
Mjolnir will be shown as having a good enough effect on him, as well as Hulk. But everyone else (including Stark after his Thanos/Hulk buster fails, will be dispatched (not killed).

Once everyone seems down, including Thor and Hulk, only a bloodied Captain America will stand, Thanos will mock him as usual, Steve says "I could do this all day", Thanos is done with the subject and goes for the kill.

Then Mjolnir flies to cap, who wields it and kills Thanos with it.

This has been known since the first Avengers movie was announced.
>>
>>81821254
>Earth is severely damaged in Thanos' attack
>global rebuilding efforts
>new villains making the most of the opportunity
>new Avengers-style franchise is the Runaways, a three movie trilogy building up to them battling the Gibborim
>>
>>81820182
disgusting

He originally butchered his mother out of revenge for bringing him into existence
>>
>>81821639
>he rocks too hard, because he's not a mortal man
>>
>>81819926
All of the new marvel cosmic was so fucking great.

Seeing Thanos so mad at a universe with no death was awesome.
>>
>>81821254
Beyonder, secret wars.
>>
>>81821867
i got your reference anon!
>>
>>81819221
CW is about Steve vs Tony, Zemo's not the main antagonist of the conflict, like Thanos will be in IW.

also, IW has two movies to develop the one villain, unlike CW with Zemo.
>>
>>81821728
>>new Avengers-style franchise is the Runaways, a three movie trilogy building up to them battling the Gibborim

fuck no

i'd rather see it adapted on Netflix
>>
File: Corman-Doom.jpg (14KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Corman-Doom.jpg
14KB, 320x240px
>>81819173
The very first cinematic Doom was perfect.
>>
>>81821119
Thanos had a hard life.
>>
>>81821122
I would be more than okay with this
>>
>>81823866
How could you be okay with Mjölnir being stronger than the Infinity Gauntlet?
>>
>>81819221
Zemo becomes good only with the character development he got in Thunderbolts.

Without the Thunderbolts, he's just another bad guy.
>>
>>81823988
In the grounds that it would make a dope as fuck scene.
>>
>>81824067
You are not living your life correctly.
>>
>>81821814
actually, he killed her when he bombed Titan... and she was the only one he might have spared otherwise, while his brother and father survived by the luck of being away
>>
>>81823988
The Infinity Gauntlet is literally a metal glove with the infinity gems inserted in it, Mjolnir was forged in a dying star.
>>
>>81819054
Wasn't Drax punching apart space ships in the Abnett/Lanning run?
>>
File: hello.jpg (203KB, 485x489px) Image search: [Google]
hello.jpg
203KB, 485x489px
>>81818807
author wank.
>oh no he lost? that was a clone
>oh no he farted ? that was a robot
>muh thanos is perfect and invincible
he isn't really compelling or interesting, outside of authors declaring him to be, without any evidence to support it
>>
>>81819251
Man, I'm actually really hoping that for Infinity War Thanos uses the stones to resurrect the villain that each stone destroyed. Though I can't see how Ronan would get out of there without Thanos just killing him again.
>>
>>81821639
YOU THINK YOU FOOLS CAN SERVE ONE WHO CAN DANCE THROUGH TIME AND SPACE?!
>>
>>81821122
The autist in me cries out at that, so it needs some sort of "they prepared Mjolnir with some sort of anti-Infinity Stone spell" setup.
>>
>>81824067
Don't forget Asgard has the other infinity gauntlet. What if Thor wears it and they punch gauntlets together so hard the gems pop out and socket into his glove
>>
>>81825237
>the other infinity gauntlet.
Is this canon? since when there are two?
>>
>>81824054
That's not totally true.
>>
>>81821728
>>Earth is severaly damaged in Thanos' attack
>>global rebuilding efforts
>>new villains making the most of the opportunity
>>new Avengers-style franchise is The Thunderbolts, which leads up to their ranks being split and them turning on one another
Ftfy
>>
>>81822096
So Tony is the main antagonist?
>>
>>81819521
>he'll make an extremely convoluted plan to gain and use the gautlet
>which will lead to him losing it
>you were too tricky for your own good
>>
>>81825855
>in the climax
>Ant-Man and Star Lord team up to distract Thanos with the power of dance
>Thanos tries to upstage them
>"Oops, I dropped the gauntlet."
>You were too smooth for your own good Thanos.
>>
>>81818961
thing is that thanos is just space doom. he's like dooms father
>>
>>81825769
Easter Egg in the 1st Thor, in Odin's vault.
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.