[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Vanellope Asian? http://www.lollipop.sg/content/wrec k-

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (93KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93KB, 600x450px
Was Vanellope Asian?

http://www.lollipop.sg/content/wreck-it-ralphs-vanellope-was-inspired-akb48-member-0
>>
wasn't her game implied to be Japanese with the j-pop theme music?

I could see it
>>
>>81667627
she's a candy gnome
>>
>>81667828
And people want to mine her sugar crystals.
>>
German-sounding name (Von Schweetz), Asian appearance, I'd say German-Asain.
>>
>>81667886
A racer with Axis for a race? ODes that make her a master-race?
>>
>>81667886
whats asian about her appearance. Black strait hair?
>>
>>81667886
Asuka Langley Soryu
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 470x313px
>>81667886
Japan still think german sounds pretty cool.

Picture related. Drossel von Flügel
>>
File: s.jpg (14KB, 214x317px) Image search: [Google]
s.jpg
14KB, 214x317px
>>81667627
No.
>>
>>81667940
The sweets in her ga,e were based on Japanese sweets aesthetics according to the creators. The racers chibi cutesy style is another point to take into consideration.
>>
>>81667977
That name is actually kinda clever, though.
Flügel means wing, and Drossel can mean either a throttle or a thrush.
>>
File: image.jpg (252KB, 527x740px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
252KB, 527x740px
>>
Also, this is the second Vanellope-related thread I've seen today. Surprised Wreck-it Ralph threads are still around in 2016.

And I'm happy with that.
>>
>>81667627

No, she was jewish
>>
>>81667997
This is irrelevant unless you have proof they modeled the character on her. VAs rarely look like characters.
>>
>>81668113
She was actually based on SS as a child, or at least how she imagined herself as a child.
>>
File: comparison.jpg (119KB, 649x325px) Image search: [Google]
comparison.jpg
119KB, 649x325px
>>81668113
I'm sure they tried a bit for this film.
>>
>>81667627
No, she was annoying.
>>
>>81668047
ok so you're saying because the black one was made in a chibi style she must also be asian? Is basing designs on a style that generally comes from people of a certain race mean that any character with that design inherits that race? That's just a weird.
>>
>>81668263
>>81668214
Oh I can't wait to see how hard the backfire affect is going to kick in on this.
>>
>>81668063
You should watch it. It is from Disney Japan.
>>
File: Stealing_First_Base_111.jpg (91KB, 624x352px) Image search: [Google]
Stealing_First_Base_111.jpg
91KB, 624x352px
When SS did an appearance on the Simpsons, same exact character design.
>>
>>81668354
Oh right. I was thinking about "was she Japanese?" and the game looked like it was a Japanese game. But that was not the question. She could very well be a white girl in a Japanese game. But the nose makes them non-human so either they are some fictional race of little people or they are anthropomorphic animals so anthropomorphized that they don't resemble the animals anymore (like the old version of alvin and the chipmunks)
>>
>>81668521
Wasn't that girl asian or at least half asian? Only east asians have those eyes on simpsons.
>>
>>81668631
I think the fact that this question has come up for 2 animated incarnations of silverman as a little girl with suspiciously similar design gimmicks points to the idea that silverman is a weeb.
>>
File: 1421722539776.jpg (45KB, 540x415px) Image search: [Google]
1421722539776.jpg
45KB, 540x415px
>>81668065
>>
>>81668521
>>81668732
Also you do know that WIR was developed by Simpsons veterans Rich Moore and Jim Reardon.
>>
File: billy-bat-3591573.jpg (206KB, 800x1208px) Image search: [Google]
billy-bat-3591573.jpg
206KB, 800x1208px
>>81668589
Well, the problem with Asian characters in Japanese games is that they don't actually execute any Asian facial features.
For the most part, their Asian and European characters look the same.
The only mangaka I have seen actually giving Japanese characters a distinct (and not always flattering) look relative to white Caucasians was Urasawa in Billy Bat.
>>
>>81668882
So you think they have a pact to always make silverman's characters overly "alternative" and ambiguously asian? Is that more likely than silverman demands her characters look a certain way?
>>
>>81668890

They're aesthetically closer to cartoons, so features are abstract. You can't look at most modern western cartoons and say they have distinct racial features either, aside from skin tone. Most of them practically aren't human.
>>
>>81669832
Sure. But Western shows tend to execute racial differences and make background visible or obvious.
You can tell where people are from on the Simpsons, you can tell on SU, you can tell very damn well on Wakfu (albeit, those are fantastic pseudo-races).
This is important because characters with different racial and cultural background are the norm, rather than the exception.
>>
>>81670034

That's because they're American, and reflect a reality in America. The reality of Japan is that they have a very low number of immigrants. Their media reflects that, naturally.

There is no standard set of racial features in cartoons. There is only a baseline style, and other races, should the creator choose to show it, deviate from that baseline. The most stereotypical example would be making the Asian character's eyes smaller in a western cartoon, or giving the Caucasian a big nose and brows in a Japanese anime. These things only work when there is contrast. Without it, you can't say this or that character was meant to be "white" or "asian". You're just projecting yourself onto the default style, which is one of the strengths of cartoons.
>>
>>81667627
Yes.

You can now sleep.... at all.
>>
>>81670535
This.
Westerners read most anime characters as white, Japanese read them as Japanese, Africans read them as black (when not coloured, obviously). Same with your average white American cartoon character. It's a matter of baselines.
>>
>>81667627
She's Jewish just like her voice actress.
>>
>>81670535
But whites in Japanese shows don't deviate from the baseline character design, while black characters obviously do.

>>81670977
Which would not stop the character from also being Asian.
>>
>>81668521
Though actually this episode predates WIR by a year.
>>
She's just a cute cartoon version of Sarah Silverman, you dorks.
>>
>>81667627
She looks like a chibi version of her voice actor, who is Jewish.
>>
File: fuck yeah.jpg (43KB, 500x256px) Image search: [Google]
fuck yeah.jpg
43KB, 500x256px
>>81671015
>But whites in Japanese shows don't deviate from the baseline character design, while black characters obviously do.

They absolutely caricature Caucasian characters, except for cute protagonists. Then they're always drawn to the designer's personal ideals, no matter what race, even for black characters.
>>
>>81673226
Agreed.
>>
>>81668113
>VAs rarely look like characters.
Yes and no. They try to incorporate some mannerisms and stuff to the characters though. It's obvious sometimes, but sometimes not. Elsa doesn't really have a hint of Idina. They tried to incorporate Bateman's shifty eyes when recording Nick.
>>
>>81673545
Not that anon but yeah, often they try to make male westerners look different, but females will always look the same uguu face.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.