[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"Zack Snyder's Watchmen adaptation totally misses

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 22

File: Realism.png (1016KB, 673x709px) Image search: [Google]
Realism.png
1016KB, 673x709px
>"Zack Snyder's Watchmen adaptation totally misses the point, in the comics only Dr. Manhattan is supposed to have superpowers. Yet he makes everbody superhuman, like remember that unrealistic prison fight and how The Comedian punched a hole in his wall?!"
>>
The only thing that bothered me was that they all killed as superheroes. Kind of misses the whole point with rorschachs character.
>>
>>81592739
Peak Human =/= Superhuman

It is completely believable that Comedian punched a hole in the wall, broke his fucking hand and then kept on going.
>>
>>81592842
Silk Spectre breaks one of the top-knot gangers neck in the comics
>>
>>81592888
they aren't really peak human other than Veidt
>>
>>81593264
Comedian is. He kicked the shit out of Veidt a few times before.
>>
>>81593340
well, that's true
>>
the squid alien was better
>>
>>81592739
Veidt didn't even know if he could do it
>>
>>81593676
That makes it so much more realistic!
>>
>>81593594
Seconded.
>>
>>81592888
>catching bullets is possible for peak humans
Fuck off you never see Batman catch bullets
>>
>>81593594
>>81593757
That plan was retarded and we all know it.
>>
>>81593816
Either way the plan is retarded
What im pissed about is that they took out "nothing ever ends Adrian"
>>
>>81593798
Nigga he did that in the comic, and it makes more sense here because Veidt was wearing special gloves.
>>
>>81593885
The movie actually makes it slightly less ridiculous but having Veidt wearing kevlar gloves, yeah.
>>
>>81592739
Where is this quoted from because it's fucking nitpicking.

The Comedian punched through plasterboard. I've done that before and I'm nowhere near peak human.

Also the prison fight was experienced, trained martial artists versus your average street brawler - I mean, if the prisoners had attacked all at once it might've been a different story but they didn't.
>>
>>81593816
>Dr. Manhattan is literally american
>he was used in the Vietnam war
>Manhattan launches all these attacks everywhere
>world goes to hell, blaming America for everything
Yeah, brilliant replacement, anon
>>
>>81592739
>Implying the point wasn't that entering Veidt's realm was like slowly turning into an absurd, actually comics-like world with mutant cats, giant squids and OP's pic
>>
>>81592888
Thats pretty much what i got, they were on the peak of what a human could achieve, either by tech, training or crazy.
While Manhattan was a superhuman and that pretty much could make the best that humanity, powerlevel wise, could ever hope to be in the dust.
>>
File: 1433872-24206662.png (984KB, 570x914px) Image search: [Google]
1433872-24206662.png
984KB, 570x914px
>>81593798
Batgirl could though
>>
>>81593816
It's a nod to the silver age of comics when all that type of wacky shit happened. Not to mention the narrative threads it added to the story.
>>
>>81593816
It's the ultimate realization of Ozy's failure to be a god
>>
>>81592739
It was standard action movie stuff. Same with Batman in DoJ.
>>
File: bat santa wink.jpg (59KB, 474x526px) Image search: [Google]
bat santa wink.jpg
59KB, 474x526px
>>81593798
Well maybe he should.
>>
>>81594158
Yeah but NYC was "attacked" by Manhattan too so I guess the world didn't see a reason to blame America.
>>
>>81592739

Ozy was clearly above everyone else excluding blue man.
>>
>>81592739
What makes that bullet catch so shocking is that everybody except for Manhattan has been built up as ordinary.
>>
>>81595710

From the way he destroyed rorsach and owl he seemed a little superhuman too
>>
>American superweapon goes rogue and kills millions across the world, clearly everyone will unify and play nice instead of blowing America to bits so they can't make any more superweapons

also

>Bubastis out of nowhere
>>
>>81595430
Still America's fault.
The point isn't actual fault, the point is they'd obviously blame the fuck out of America while waiting for Dr. Mahattan. At best every country would simply hate America if not retaliate.
>>
>>81594478
This was the real reason. Evil plot, evil antarctic lair, animal-freak familiar, stopping bullets, giant monsters, the works.

>>81596101
>Bubastis out of nowhere
See above. Also, Bubastis was the first successful product of the same genetic engineering that made the monster. He's only "out of nowhere" in the movie.
>>
>>81596101
>Manhattan of Murder
We all saw the warning signs but did nothing to stop the hack

We are all culpable
>>
>>81596759
>He's only "out of nowhere" in the movie.

Well, yeah, and the movie's what fucking beefs it at the end by removing the "aliens against the entire world" justification.
>>
I wonder if Dr Manhattan could improve the capabilities of his teammates muscles and bones.
>>
File: Watchmen-Handcuffs.jpg (55KB, 400x206px) Image search: [Google]
Watchmen-Handcuffs.jpg
55KB, 400x206px
>>81592842
This is no better actualized than in the Rorschach origin flashback scene.

>In the comic, Rorschach is tracking down a kidnapped girl and instead finds her desiccated remains.
>Something in him snaps and he fully gives in to his violent, psychotic side.
>Rather than taking the murderer in, he chains him to a boiler and hands him a saw.
>In a moment of brutal logic, he explains that sawing through the handcuffs is useless, the criminal must saw through his arm if he wants to live.
>Rorschach then burns the house down and watches outside.
>This is a powerful, fucking-dark moment.

>In the film Rorschach is tracking down a kidnapped girl and instead finds her desiccated remains.
>Something in him snaps and he fully gives in to his violent, psychotic side.
>Rather than taking the murderer in, he chains him to a boiler.
>He then picks up a meat cleaver and drives it through the murderers skull.
>This is an over-the-top, gruesome, and kind of silly moment.

Like, why bother changing a scene like that? It makes for a weaker moment and an uncomfortably more compromised character.
>>
>>81596364
This
I'm sure many countries out there would say the whole thing was planned by America and the government did that to its own people to throw off suspicion.
>>
>>81597077
Yeah this is the one change that baffled me. The alien thing at the end would have required much more screen time to explain in an already long movie. Some dialogue and scenes were altered or cut for the same reason. He could have easily kept this scene as is, with little effects budget and just as much screen time.
>>
File: x9dwI.jpg (122KB, 578x606px) Image search: [Google]
x9dwI.jpg
122KB, 578x606px
>>81592739
I think the worst thing they left out was Dr. Manhattan existing at two times/places at once when he and Laurrie arrived in Antarctica. It would have taken fucking seconds to add that in and they didn't. They really didn't show his perception of time very well in the movie, they even fucked up the Mars memory sequence.
>>81593841
>they took out "nothing ever ends Adrian"
They didn't take it out completely, just changed the delivery. Laurie tells Dan something along the lines of "like Jon always says, nothing ever ends."
>>
>>81597077
>>In a moment of brutal logic, he explains that sawing through the handcuffs is useless, the criminal must saw through his arm if he wants to live.
>>Rorschach then burns the house down and watches outside.
>>This is a powerful, fucking-dark moment.
Did they really steal that scene from the end of Mad Max?
>>
>>81597878
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2x8RhadlpA

Is Alan Moore just a hack?
>>
>>81594158
>the only city destroyed by the squid is NYC.
>USSR: lol that's what you get you dirty capitalist pigs, unite with you? Never.
>>
>>81595099
Well yeah but she could wipe the floor with Bruce in hand to hand.
>>
I can't believe people missed the whole point of ozy catching the bullet in the comic and using that to knock the comic as unrealistic. The whole point was to show how above the other humans sans dr m ozy truly was, that he really was on another level. Him not wearing gloves only adds to that, in the film when everyone is jumping 15 feet in the air, kicking ppl across rooms, and generally acting like super humans it diminishes the impac of the bullet catch. I actually feel Snyder might have been aware of that and downplayed it by having Brody wear gloves. I just remember it being a shocker and so abrupt and really characterized veidt as otherworldly by that scene, the fact that he's barely injured by it and he himself wasn't sure it work only adds to it by showmyself by how above everyone he is but he isn't even aware of it.
>>
>>81598233
Anons just want to shit over Moore because he's a big meanie
>>
>>81593841
>>81597543
>>81596883

The ending is somewhat shit in the comic because it goes over the top with "Adrian is an uncaring super villain now cheering over the death of millions after being characterised as a person who does care about the people" and Dan's reaction is "Whatever, gonna bang the fuck out of Laurie in the Owlcopter".

Not that what MAN OF MUDERing film adaptations did was perfect. But it was more logical that Adrian was much more remorseful about destroying everything e helped build and Dan was fucking angry and scared his city got nuked even though it ended the cold war. Never mind watching his friend also get brutally murdered to cover it up.

Either way, people were going to be pissed because of "NO SQUID, NO SALE" so not everyone would like it, anyway.
>>
>>81599302
He's cheering that he saved the world

It's to emphasize even further how disconnected he's made himself from humanity
>>
>>81599302
>a person who does care about the people
He doesn't
>>
>>81593798
We have seen him block bullet several times, give him the right globes and he could easily catch a single bullet.
>>
>>81599302
>it goes over the top with "Adrian is an uncaring super villain now cheering over the death of millions after being characterized as a person who does care about the people"
He's cheered after he saw that news agencies were reporting peace deals and cooperation between the two nations. It goes with the poem that I don't think was mentioned in the movie: "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings. Look on my works ye mighty, and despair." The poem is central to who Adrian is; someone who's overly proud of his world peace accomplishment, but is near-sighted enough to realize that, like the statue in the poem, it won't last forever.

>Dan's reaction is "Whatever, gonna bang the fuck out of Laurie in the Owlcopter".
Wrong scene. Dan and Laurie don't leave the facility.

> Never mind watching his friend also get brutally murdered to cover it up.
That didn't happen in the comic. He let Rorschach walk out, as Adrian mentions that he's not a reliable witness anyway.
>>
>>81595850
Is no different than the BvS warehous fight.

In his prime that batman must had been a beast.
>>
movie had some problems but Jackie Earle Haley fucking KILLED it as Rorschach imo its one of the underrated perfect castings in comic book film
>>
File: Ozymandias.png (697KB, 1055x414px) Image search: [Google]
Ozymandias.png
697KB, 1055x414px
>>81600359
>I don't think was mentioned in the movie
No one said it, but Veidt had a Ramses II statue with it engraved below it.
>>
File: veidt_spread_panel_4 (1).jpg (175KB, 413x1000px) Image search: [Google]
veidt_spread_panel_4 (1).jpg
175KB, 413x1000px
>He doesn't believe in the Veidt Method
>>
>>81600926
I still don't understand how Snyder could read this issue and think "yeah I can do this justice"
>>
>>81597081

doesnt matter as all are now living in fear that'll happen again, that was also the point of the squids, you never knew when they would attack again.
>>
>>81601038
No one can

I don't care if it is a bullshit TV miniseries or whoever you get to make it you can't directly adapt Watchmen.
>>
>>81593798
He blocks bullets as if they were nothing
>>
>>81598114
>what is psychic backlash
im being trolled huh
>>
>>81598114
Someone didn't read the text pieces.
>>
>>81601076

He did the exact same thing in BvS when a few of the warehouse thugs brought out their sidearms. It's not peak human anything, it's him just holding up a bulletproof gauntlet to his face so his unprotected mouth doesn't get shot to shit.

Also, the guy said catching, not blocking.
>>
The problem with the argument here is the terms.

Adrian was a guy who was CONSTANTLY working out

The Comedian was a 50+ year old man

Nite Owl was an overweight slouch

It is about Character not Peak Human or Power Levels or that nonsense.

It makes Sense for Adrian to be able to do it because the self actualization is HIS ENTIRE DEAL I don't give a shit about the actual mechanics of it Watchmen is a Science Fiction comic.
>>
>>81592739
I prefer the movie to the comic and the giant 'space' squid was a retarded idea.
>>
>>81601436
And about how the original framed and used violence to underscore it or to take the catharsis and enjoyment that can be taken out of action out of it.
>>
>>81601463
I say this unironically, you didn't get it
>>
>>81601463
If you didn't get the squid part, you're retarded. It was the entire crux of the plan. Which is why changing it made the movie make not sense.
>>
>>81601463
As opposed to a literal god has randomly decided to explode several cities?

It's still unification through external threat, but the squid is conceivably a threat that could be fought back against.

What would mankind hope to do but embrace nihilistic self-annihilation in the face of the wrath of Dr. Manhatten?
>>
>>81601369
It'ss the same when you have to move your arm after the gun as been fired.
>>
>>81592888
Yeah that's why most MMA fights feature combatants picking other fighters up over their heads using only their hands and throwing them 15 feet.
>>
>>81601076
No matter how peak your human physique are. (think of special forces operator peak). Getting shot by firearm like 9mm is hurt, a lot. even when you are wearing kevlar on everything. You will unable to move for awhile, let alone carrying a movement o punching/kicking. Unless you are under influence of stimulant substance.
So, is Batman a drug user?
>>
>>81601700
He must be to go out every night without much sleep and still hurting from last night's injuries
>>
>>81601568
Dr. Manhattan is not considered as an External Threat to Soviets

You would know that if you read the book.
>>
>>81601568
>>81601504
>>81601560
>As opposed to
'teleport a giant squid into the middle of an exploded area so people will think aliens must have done it?'

I'm aware that the plan was to unite the people to a common cause, but space squid was retarded.

It made much more sense to unite them against something they already knew existed, were already wary of, and proven to be unstable and detached from humanity.

But hey, maybe it really is the same case as Dawn of Justice and I 'didn't get it'.
>>
>>81601780
See >>81601744
>>
>>81597878
>Mad Max
>1979
>Watchmen
>1986
Alan Moore? More like, Alan Hack.
>>
>>81601801
>I reference something I like in a good way
>am a hack

Do you know how media works anon?
>>
>>81601735
Yeah, that crazy. That's why he must be using some sort of performance enhanced drug.
Being shot by 9mm point blank can crack off your bone. That's by wearing kevlar vest. Imagine getting shot multiple times.
Batman engagement is mostly QCB.
>>
>>81601780
The squid is intrinsically tied to Adrian's character

It's the ultimate culmination of his failure to be a god
>>
>>81601882
He waits the whole book to let you really into Adrian and it works so well because of it because

>In the comic, Adrian’s far madder than Rorschach, more inhuman than Jon, more pathetic than Dan…his life more damagingly composed of lies than Laurie’s. Of course it’s just this that causes the Comedian’s sense of humour to shatter, in the end — a fucking space squid!? —

It being a fucking space squid is the ultimate icing on the perfect cake that is Adrian Veidt.
>>
>>81592739
Funny, considering executive meddling is the only reason every costumed character didn't have powers.
>>
>>81601744

Considering they blamed the destruction of New York on Dr. Manhattan, it'd definitely appear that way.

It's basically the ending to Fail Safe.
>>
>>81602032
I am talking about in the Comic when Dr. Manhattan didn't do it.
>>
File: 1451698409608.png (114KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
1451698409608.png
114KB, 270x270px
>"Yo these things in the comic were stupid and not realistic, the movie fixed it"
>Anons proceed to explain why it was made that way
>1 hour or so later
>"Yo these things in the comic were stupid and not realistic, the movie fixed it"

GG, /co/
>>
File: blackwhite2-batbulletblock.jpg (226KB, 658x986px) Image search: [Google]
blackwhite2-batbulletblock.jpg
226KB, 658x986px
>>81601700
>(think of special forces operator peak).

Batman is peak human. There's nothing comparable in the real world to that. a special forces opperator is below "olympic level". In No man's land he was lifting near 700 kilos, by morrison's run he was in the 1000 kilos limit, ONE TON.

Peak human is well beyond any human limits in our world. But remember Humans in the DC universe are different than us. Bruce isnt as strong as a strongman, or as fast as a olympic runner, be is way stronger and way faster, and heals several times faster too. Ozy and Batman are on a whole other level than Crazy hobo man.
>>
>>81602099
>In the comic, the reason why halfway through the main character rubbed shit in his face for apparently no reason, was because of a backstory you find out about later where his father taught him the art of rubbing shit in his face.
But that's stupid, I don't care if they explained the characters reasoning, it's still terrible and would be awful in a two hour movie that can't cover absolutely everything.
>Huuurrr, well I've explained why they did it in the comic, what don't you understand?
>>
>>81595099
Yeah but she's a Mary Sue so she can do whatever.
>>
>>81602265
That movie so wants to be the comic though that if you actual remove the comic the movie vanishes.
>>
>>81596759

Bubastis is female.
>>
>>81602265
It's almost as if a good adaptation would just take the most basic and essential elements of the story and characters to make them work for the new medium, instead of copying most pages and dialogues but then leaving out others
>>
File: 05404.gif (9KB, 650x450px) Image search: [Google]
05404.gif
9KB, 650x450px
>>81596871
oh...oh my god...youre right...

we did this

well, we let him get away with it

fucking hack snyder
>>
>>81595710
You do realise it's foreshadowed in the text pages, specifically in Veidt's interview, yes?
>>
>>81595710
100 percent this
>>
>>81596101

I don't really see how an "alien" squid crushing New York is a bigger prompt for the world to call off the Cold War than the next best thing to God saying "you will stop fighting or I'll just kill ALL of you."
>>
>>81603712
It sucks because veidt is an uber idealist who does not simply want people to hover in fear of a god awaiting mutual destruction. He values the camaraderie earned by fighting against an alien threat,one that isn't inspires table, and the hope it inspires just as much as the fear itself
>>
>>81603797
*isnt insourmantble
>>
>>81603797

On the other hand, it seems more plausible someone will go "wait a damn second, what if someone just bio-engineered the squid and we're doing this for nothing?"

At which point the even more heavily armed and paranoid humans realize there's no one to fight but each other again.

They at least KNOW Dr. Manhattan exists and can assume the only way to prevent him from following up on his warning shot is to put down their weapons and STOP FIGHTING.

I'd argue forcing mankind to face a threat where fighting back is an exercise in futility is a much better way to stop someone from just thinking they can shoot their way out of that if they build a big enough gun and putting humanity right back where they started.
>>
>>81603712
The alien gives something they can fight, since it shows up dead so they already know it can die, it's possibly defeatable

Manhattan has been around for years and everyone's pretty sure he can't be beaten
>>
>>81603973
WE can recognize the flaws in Adrian's plans, but he can't, because he's so steeped in his own ego

His entire story is that even though he temporarily fixed things, it'll amount to nothing
>>
>>81603984
It'd also make humanity unite in an arm's race against a nonexistant foe.
>>
File: 71cKxzfTF2L.jpg (239KB, 971x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71cKxzfTF2L.jpg
239KB, 971x1500px
>>81601700
>is Batman a drug user?
For awhile, yes. He kicks the habbit though.
>>
>>81592739

Actually, this is something worth mentioning.

If the characters are not peak human, incapable of making a difference...WHY DO SUPERHEROES AFFECT HISTORY?

Think about it. If the Comedian is not a super-badass, who gives a fuck about him? He's just a grunt in a silly costume. Same for all the others. Rosharch? Ha, who'd be scared of a guy who dresses like that if he can't back it up?

If these people are not as good as fighting as Batman, they're completely worthless. Remember, the universe's only true superhuman is Dr. Manhattan. And these guys are established as badass in their own right: About five of them handled city-wide riots, which protested vigilantes.

Think about it. Whole cities rose up in revolt to protest the actions of about ten people. There are more mass-murderers in a single city than there are superheroes.
>>
File: 1429713319351.jpg (111KB, 807x362px) Image search: [Google]
1429713319351.jpg
111KB, 807x362px
>you will never become a martial arts master that's talented enough to catch bullets
>>
>>81604416

All you need is a gun, really.

Like, it only worked because Silk Spectre didn't shoot him a few more times.
>>
>>81601647
True, but I bet "The Mountain" could do it. I think of "Peak Human" as the highest potential that a human has ever reached.
>>
What would happen to Veidt after Rorschachs notes were publicly known? He's a smart and strong dude, could he allude capture/assassination?
>>
>>81604801

That's the beauty of it. You write your own continuation.

But really, the most likely one would be Veidt going "That shit's ridiculous. It was written by a paranoid madman."
>>
>>81604801
Nobody would believe rorschach lol. The people who would publish his journal have a worse reputation than Fox News and Rorschach is deemed as crazy by the media. It's be like someone saying bush did 9/11 but even more crazy
>>
>>81597077
Both were fine, you're just nitpicking.
>>
File: d79fe5_fullsize.jpg (213KB, 500x759px) Image search: [Google]
d79fe5_fullsize.jpg
213KB, 500x759px
>>81604250
Because they were cultural icons, and sometimes government backed. When looking at the Minutemen you have to imagine "what if characters like Superman or Cap America were real people that decided to wear flashy costumes and inspire people with catchphrases and upstanding morals? What if their presence inspired some criminals like Moloch to be as wacky?"
Like, Silk Spectre for example, did she ever striker you as a crime fighter? She was just a glorified Playboy girl

Then the reason behind the efficency of the younger characters was to make them a parallel of the more modern heroes, the gritty and "realistic" ones, a literal upgrade with legacy characters and shit. Old Nite Owl was a smiley bruised? The modern one is more cool, has a cool costume and cool gadgets that can help him beat criminals "for real" instead of just being always the winner because you're the good guy of the story

Wacthmen is the kind of story where meta-narrative often gets the priority. As it's been said already ITT, there's no good in-universe reason for Veidt to be able to catch bullets, for example
>>
>>81596871
Doc kills the same amount of people in the movie as he does the comic. Down to the same amount of vietcong being vaporized in flashbacks.
>>
File: BubastisReturns.jpg (64KB, 474x600px) Image search: [Google]
BubastisReturns.jpg
64KB, 474x600px
>>81596101
Bubastis is a girl.
>>
>ITT: People missing the point by OP that catching a bullet is less realistic than punching a hole in the wall, so the criticism towards snyder for this respect is moot.
>>
>>81597077
Honestly snyder's version fits better. Rorschach snaps and has a fit of rage-induced murderous violence rather than making a SAW-style death trap. You see multiple flashbacks of Rorschach snapping and just lashing out at people both in the comic and movie showing that the underlying violence was always in him.

As for why Snyder changed it IIRC he said it was a time constraint issue and hacking the guy was quicker. He was constantly pressed for time by the studio, which is why the two most disposable subplots (black freighter and black psychiatrist) get cut.
>>
>>81604712
He could do it to someone who weighed 140 pounds, maybe. Veidt did it to someone his own size.
>>
>>81595099

Not only is she not catching bullets there she's not really dodging them so much as she's just predicting where the guy's aiming.
>>
>>81592739
meh
they seemed like normal humans that were trained as I assume they would have been if they were suppose to be vigilantes

Its never going to be "realistic" as they would all just got shot instantly. Even a "realistic" take on heroes is going to be unrealistic

>Snyder missed the point
he was making a movie, the comic already existed. He had his own point to make. Stop being a pleb
>>
>>81606223
>He had his own point to make

Is that why 99% of the movie is just the comic but with more Hollywood-approved costumes and violence
>>
>>81601983
I always thought the catastrophic loss of life and destruction of NYC was what made him snap.
>>
>>81597077
>>81597451
They changed it because they didn't want people to think they stole that bit from the Saw movies or from Mad Max.
>>
>>81601436
In Snyder's way of thinking, people who are real heroes are just naturally better than others. Its the "Named Character"/"The guy without a helmet" cliche. Owl is a 'real' hero so it doesn't matter that he is past middle aged and out of shape, he is suddenly Batman levels of physical perfection.

Also the thing that annoyed me was the way he changed the dream sequence. Snyder seemed to think he knew the inner workings and meanings of The Watchmen and that gave him the right to change things as he wanted, but just like Superman he was clueless.
>>
File: 9mm.gif (2MB, 240x103px) Image search: [Google]
9mm.gif
2MB, 240x103px
>>81601700
>Getting shot by firearm like 9mm is hurt
>>
>>81603712
The brilliance of Veidt's idea is that he created an external threat that turns it from Soviets vs. Americans to a humanity vs. THEM. Anything that came from within the earth would eventually have the blame and guilt placed on someone or something, but an otherworldly threat with no terrestrial or human origin is something we can all hate.

He plucked several base human instincts, wrapped them in a ribbon of fear, and laid them on the grave of free will.
>>
>>81607338
The problem is that society easily forgets things as generations go by, so he'll have to stage an attack every once in a while and plan a way for it to continue after his death, and if anyone ever found out about this deception too early then hell would break lose.
>>
>>81603973
There was nothing resembling bio-engineering in the world at that point. Veidt practically invented the science, trained his lab techs in it, and then murdered them all.

Also, it wasn't just a squid plopped onto the city of New York, it was a squid body that contained the cloned mind of a very powerful psychic that had its abilities improved by the cloning process. It was grown in a jar where the only stimulus it received was images, sounds, and objects that looked otherworldly so that all of its memories were 'alien'.

This was all done so that when it died, its 'life' flashing before its eyes would be broadcast psychically to all the psychically sensitive people in the world. Random people who are just a bit sensitive would wake up as if from a nightmare while full on psychics would wake up screaming remembering an alien's life flashing before their inner eye.
>>
>>81607492
Don't forget the psychic shock caused by the squid dying from the teleportation murdered everyone near the squid's materialization site.
>>
File: Watchmen-12-27.jpg (533KB, 905x1426px) Image search: [Google]
Watchmen-12-27.jpg
533KB, 905x1426px
>>81607420
>>
>>81597077
I actually prefer the movie scene, it's a lot more brutal/emotional and makes more sense than Rorschach doing some stupid Saw type deal.
>>
>>81607420
I think he was hoping that he could build bridges and that by the time they had forgotten the squid they would have also forgotten why they wanted to nuke each other.

I mean look at our world. We have new issues that cause America and Russia to butt heads, but none of that is the intense pressure that almost lead to nuclear detonations and the end of the world.
>>
File: Ozymandias_6_TheGroup-013.jpg (596KB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Ozymandias_6_TheGroup-013.jpg
596KB, 1988x3056px
What did everyone think of Before Watchmen?
>>
>>81607884
Nyet, please stop.
>>
>>81604416
Is that the Punisher?
>>
>>81604903
Who just broke out of prison, attempted murdered a bunch of cops, murdered a bunch of prisoners...
>>
dogs bark, cows moo, and movie critics don't understand relative comic strength. what's your point
>>
>>81601075
That stuff is too immersed in comics as a medium. You just can't switch it to something else and hope it works. It's like how people don't realize that Citizen Kane is appreciated for its cinematography and not so much for its story.
>>
>>81601568
"God is real and he is American"
That is literally in the book.
>>
>>81598233
So now the goal post moves. Watchmen isn't "everyone is ordinary but Jon" but rather "everyone is ordinary but Jon...And Veidt".

Who do we add next as "well them too, they're also superhuman in the comic BUT IT WORKS UNLIKE THE MOVIE". How about Laurie for beating up grown men easily?
>>
>>81601568
How can you fight back against a squid that's already dead and just plopped out of nowhere?
>>
>>81592739
>Zack Snyder's Watchmen adaptation totally misses the point, in the comics only Dr. Manhattan is supposed to have superpowers.
No, Zack Snyder's Watchmen adaptation totally misses the point because in the comics superheroes suck on just about ever level. In the movie they're badass.

Did Snyder cover Nite-Owl's erectile dysfunction?
>>
>>81601568
I see you also haven't read the comic close enough because you are misjudging someone.

>>81608705
What goal posts are we talking about exactly? If it is the goal posts of what the movie misses about the comic then the list is manifold

>>81607884
I have no opinion of the comics but I had an opinion of the project that was strong enough that I did not bother reading it.
>>
>>81608705
Veidt was never really meant to be "ordinary", he's pretty much meant to be the comic or world's version of an ubermensch. He trained himself to physical perfection that he was able to catch a bullet, and it didn't even really affect him that much, he got up like nothing happened. It's supposed to have some bitter irony to it though, he says in his interview, excerpt chapter before he catches it, that he doesn't see himself as special and believes that anyone can be like him with enough training. Him catching the bullet proves that wrong ,and really illustrates how "not normal" he is. Sure some other characters had feats that were kinda peak human, like rorschach scaling a skyscraper. But those were few and far in between, not to mention, the comic really went out of its way to emphasize their humanity and limitations. The excerpts with nite owl saying how he really has to think about what costume he should use, and striking the right balance between protection and flexibility. Nite owl's old heavy duty robot armor injuring him and breaking his arm. Hell even rorschach getting jumped by police after he did a heroic escape out moloch's window, whereas in the movie he gets up does a barrell roll and proceeds to beat up like 8 cops. It was retarded.
>>
Yeah, I just read Watchmen for the first time recently and, while I appreciate the main points, some of the finer details at the end pissed me off. I was willing to let it slide that he just cloned a psychic brain that exploded because the plot demanded it, but catching the bullet just removed all traces of Veidt's humanity.
>>
>>81609223
Congratulation you figured out the reason the Black Freighter is in the comic.
>>
>>81609223
catching the bullet was one of veidt's highlights in the comic desu. He's supposed to be this unassailable super genius who's so far detatched from the rest of humanity, despite trying to connect with them and believing (maybe he doesn't) that anyone can be like him
>>
>>81609250
Metaphorically losing your humanity by detaching yourself from emotion to act alone and do what you think is necessary is a little different from harnessing the power of diamond-coated Christ and straight up blocking a bullet, senpai. It's sacrificing the plot for the sake of the metanarrative when, up until that point, they both served each other as equals.
>>
>>81609299
I always got the feeling that he believed on paper anyone could reach that level, but in practice he knew no one had the persistence or talent to get there besides him.
>>
>>81609534
Adrian's story is one of him losing his humanity. He is the most compromised character of them all
>>
>>81608956
Who is he misjudging? I am missing it too.
>>
>>81592739
A lot of people missed the point, Ozy altered himself genetically just a bit. It's confirmed on the indian scientist painting page.
>>
>>81593798
Catching bullets is not possible.
>>
>>81609658
Okay it is in relation to why the Squid is the perfect plan and it comes down to 2 things.

1. What it is

2. How it arrived

1. This is the simple one because of the Cold War the Americans spent all the time building up Dr. Manhattan as the Superhuman who exists and who is also American. So it had to be something not continually position as an American Asset.

2. How. I think the one text piece that the most people over look in the book outside the Owl one, is the one at the end of the Dr. Manhattan chapter. In it not only is Dr. Manhattan talked about in great detail but the worlds response to Dr. Manhattan is talked about in great detail.

When it comes to the Russians it goes into detail about how after World War 2 and what happened in Russia during that Conflict the Russian mindset was something that would not allow for anyone to do that again and they would enact Mutually Assured Destruction if it were to happen.

The brilliance of How the squid arrived is the building that it arrives in. It is not an invasion it is freak portal from that institute that pulled a monster through it that died on entry.

It shows that out there exists but not that it is knocking directly on our door.
>>
Just skimmed the thread, but has anyone mentioned the fact that one of the central plot-points of the comic ("Uniting The World Against An Alien Menace") came from Reagan's musings that the world might come together if an alien threat materialized?

That's pretty essential -- changing it to an American supergod threatening the world was dumb.
>>
What do people think of like instead of Dr M using like a literal alien UFO or something, since a squid would look silly and need proper build up, but using an alien even if it's as cliche as a ufo gets the point across that humans need to unite against a foreign threat. What if it went all Fargo s2 on us
>>
>>81610042
The thing about the different between the movie and the Comic is that change from Squid to Bomb is not the biggest problem with those scenes.

And overall not the biggest problem with the adaptations.
>>
>>81607884
I think that it's time to SHIT.
>>
>>81601560
The plan was fucking retarded and Moore is a shit, hack writer.
>>
>>81607884
honestly some of the series were better than others
>>
>>81604250
>If the characters are not peak human, incapable of making a difference...WHY DO SUPERHEROES AFFECT HISTORY?
Ultimately they don't. Look upon their works and despair, remember?
>>
>>81610042
>since a squid would look silly and need proper build up,
Because people don't get that the lack of proper build up is the ENTIRE POINT. It's supposed to be a non sequitor threat because then it can't be attributed to any one side.

Doctor Manhattan being the big threat is like if they did Independence Day but instead of aliens the invading army was North Korean giant robots.
>>
File: fYamhD3.jpg (114KB, 960x726px) Image search: [Google]
fYamhD3.jpg
114KB, 960x726px
>>81606195
>so much as she's just predicting where the guy's aiming
Oh no, she is not.
>>
File: and rorschach thought I was gay.jpg (111KB, 500x389px) Image search: [Google]
and rorschach thought I was gay.jpg
111KB, 500x389px
>>81602395
A cat is fine too.
>>
>>81608765
>Did Snyder cover Nite-Owl's erectile dysfunction?
Yes actually. Right before his fucked up version of the dream sequence.
>>
>>81601700
No, but i don't doubt he is in some degree of pain at all times that he blocks through mental exercises.
>>
>>81607884
At its best some were maybe like B- and at worst it was like D-, maybe F.

It wasn't something that should've ever been made, but at the same time the childish anger directed toward the creators who weren't in charge of publishing or editing the books wasn't neccesary. Well maybe at JMS it was, but other people it mostly wasn't.
>>
>>81602032
>Considering they blamed the destruction of New York on Dr. Manhattan, it'd definitely appear that way.

But that was the film, he was talking about the comic.
>>
>>81592739
The issue with Snyder's Watchmen adaptation was that he made them cool. They weren't cool, the coolest characters were a sociopath willing to sacrifice a huge population, someone that could barely be considered human anymore, and a lunatic obsessed with the law.
>>
File: cop trike.jpg (96KB, 345x360px) Image search: [Google]
cop trike.jpg
96KB, 345x360px
>>81617832
If being obsessed wit the law is uncool, then I don't want to be cool.
>>
>>81617832
Nite Owl's costume was so sweet he could easily rival most of movie Batman's
>>
>>81593340
not at that point, he is a fucking fat alcoholic who is crying and waiting to die
>>
>>81595099
hahahah what?? why is there a laser sight coming out of the fucking bullet
>>
>>81595430
>Large part of Russia is destroyed and clearly done by Manhattan, Americas most well-known weapon
>Implying they're going to fucking phone America to make sure half of NYC didn't also get destroyed before firing their nukes in retaliation
>>
>>81618180
I mean, just look at this handsome motherfucker, he even pulled off the trunks. Movie Batman (ignoring pre-Burton) never had trunks
>>
>>81593594
i always kind of thought that was kind of alan moores critique on superhero comics considering his disdain for them. you are kind of led to believe that veidts plot is to frame dr manhattan, a clever plot, but instead you get a random giant squid monster. something that would only happen in a stupid comic...
>>
>>81593816
see >>81618659
>>
>>81618659
It probably was, but at the same time I also think it was supposed to represent the foolishness of humanity during war/scary times. Just like those nations were so blindly eager to think their rivals were about to destroy them and that a nuclear fallout was a proper solution, now they're eager to believe aliens from from outer space are trying to annihilate them
>>
>>81606898
this
at the time saw was not only pretty fresh but becoming super popular spawning the 50 million sequels
I think this was the major inspiration for changing the scene. People unfamiliar with the comic would immediately assume this was lifted from a popular horror franchise that was critically panned for being exploitative.
>>
>>81593885
The movie fucked up the catching the bullet scene. In the comic it was slow build with an off hand joke with a wink making you doubt it but still question it keeping it in the back of the readers mind and when it happens the reaction is fuck he actually did it.
The movie just goes "He once joked he could catch a bullet" and then he does.
>>
>>81597077

Because Moore was making a silly Mad Max reference.
>>
>>81607602
This is honestly my favorite page in the whole book. It's the one moment where you can see that Veidt actually kinda has doubts about himself.
Thread posts: 179
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.