[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When people recommend Miller's DD run, do they mean starting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: DD-featured-2.png (700KB, 843x462px) Image search: [Google]
DD-featured-2.png
700KB, 843x462px
When people recommend Miller's DD run, do they mean starting from when he entered as penciller, from 158, or from when he started writing, from 165?
>>
>>81385429
Typically they mean when he started writing, but the man could also draw some fine comics. Start at whichever you prefer OP.
>>
>>81385429
Writing usually. If I recall properly Millers first issue as an artist is right in the middle of a story arc so it'll just confuse you
>>
>>81385429
It looks like his dong is hanging
>>
>>81385513

I'm personally in for the hardboiled noir meets kung fu cinema writing Frank Miller supposedly brought to the series, but I like his art, so I might start a bit earlier. Also, reading the lighter stuff before he picked up the writing seat will give me some contrast and illustrate how much of an change of tone his run really brought to the table.
>>
>>81385669
His run kinda does that in itself. He starts off by trying to use whatever Spider-man villains he could to stir interest in the title. This is while he is trying to figure out who DD is and define him as more than, ironically, just a dime store Spider-man.
>>
>>81385763

Well, alright then.

Any tips to where to go next with DD? I've read The Man Without Fear and Born Again, which I loved and is what made me want to read more, but that's it.
>>
>>81385429
The trades collect the issues he drew and considers them part of his run. It give you a good introduction to Matt's supporting cast and some insight into the tone and content of the book before Miller took on writing duties. You see the end of the DD/Black Widow partnership from the Gene Colan era quite notably. Miller also became co-plotter before he took over as sole writer, and there's a lot of plot threads in those early issues that will confuse you if you just start with Elektra's first appearance. To name a few, Foggy's marriage, part of Gladiator's reform and his relationship with Betsy, a supersuit Turk steals to kill DD in Stick's debut, Bullseye's brain tumor and growing hate for Hornhead, and Ben Urich deducing Matt's secret identity.
>>
His art jumps up when he takes control and continues to as the run continues.
>>
>>81385429
It's seven fucking issues, start from the start you fancy pouf
>>
>>81385429
He started writing at 168, dumbass. That's when you should start reading. Everything before that is irrelevant.
>>
read it all but it gets great when he's on writing and drawing
>>
>>81385900
Miller's solo run obviously along with the Elektra spin-offs he did. And the graphic novel he made with Bill Sienkiewicz, it explains what happens to Vanessa. Nocenti's run is a mixed bag but Typhoid Mary is a must read. Fall of the Kingpin if you want Born Again again but with the roles reversed and nowhere near as good. Bendis' run is generally regarded as the best thing he's ever written, and Brubaker's run is a solid follow up. Waid's run is good up until Ikari, and after that is middling with a few good single issues.
>>
>>81386038
>Ben Urich going MATT MURDOCK YOU ARE A DAREDEVIL
>irrelevant
>>
File: DD.png (202KB, 900x500px) Image search: [Google]
DD.png
202KB, 900x500px
>>81385900
DD's really lucky in that he has an incredible track record. I mostly attribute it to him being B-list so a writer has to work to prove themselves.
Try:
Bendis
Brubaker
Nocenti (her run is kinda weird)
Waid
Daredevil: Yellow
That's enough to keep you busy for a while. Also, you can read Elektra from Miller if you want more of that vibe.
>>
>>81386174
>>81386103

Alright, thanks guys.
>>
>>81385669
On my second read through I started at Wolfman's run, you get the debuts of Heather Glenn and Bullseye that way
>>
>>81385900
Miller Janson DD
Man Without Fear
Born Again
Elektra Assassin
Elektra Lives Again
Love & War
Nocenti & Romita JR

Walk Away.
>>
>>81387136
>no Bendis or Brubaker
C'mon man
>>
>>81387255
There is nothing in those two runs that you don't get better in the stuff Miller and Janson did.
>>
>>81387271
Not wrong but there are still things in those runs worth reading. What Miller and Janson did is all time greatest run ever type of stuff. You can't fault Bendis and Bru for merely being awesome.
>>
>>81386174
I don't understand the trajectory of that baton.
>>
>>81387365
No fault

It is just a matter of their being a lot of fantastic stuff out there so also-ran(of any quality) is a lot less appealing.

I got everything I ever need from the concept of Daredevil.
>>
>>81387255
>Benis
Fuck off Benis
>>
>>81387571
All memes aside Bendis' Daredevil is really good
>>
>>81386174
STOP READING MARK WAID'S RUN AFTER #27.
>>
>>81388396
Can you tell me why I should without Daresplaining?
>>
There's a page in Waid's Daredevil where Matt is chastising Rachel Cole Alves that may be my single least favorite page in all of comic books.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.