[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you love about this book? What kind of metaphors of allegories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: all_star_superman.jpg (473KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
all_star_superman.jpg
473KB, 1024x768px
What do you love about this book? What kind of metaphors of allegories do you see? Can we just talk about this book please?
>>
I think the Jesus slash Hercules metaphor is pretty obvious and also most of what there is to see. I just love how trusting and hopeful and kind hearted it is. Superman is real and it's all going to be OK.
>>
>>80943900
Superman's everyone's friend.
>>
I love the writing in the book. Some of the dialogue hits hard.

>I can save everyone!

Also, " “It’s never as bad as it seems. You’re much stronger than you think you are. Trust me.” – Superman" is my senior year yearbook quote. I've gotten a lot of compliments on it actually, which was surprising.
>>
File: AllStarSuperman.jpg (111KB, 619x744px) Image search: [Google]
AllStarSuperman.jpg
111KB, 619x744px
It's one of the few books that I can re read for the ten thousandth time. It's just fun.

I fucking love bar-el and lilo ending up in the phantom zone. You just know that they absolutely cleaned house in there.

Superman showing up to the sick childrens ward gets me every time, especially when he returns with the kryptonian super doctors later.
>>
What did you guys think of the 12 trials of Superman?
>>
>>80946562
I thought they were pretty cool, in idea, I just felt that there wasn't enough focus on them.

I think I'd like a series or something: The Twelve Trials of Superman.
>>
>>80943841

I like how it implied Superman's powers weren't just physical but psychological/philosophical. Basically his perception of reality is different, having more information than anyone else. He literally has alien emotions and thoughts, warped even more by this power given to him, coupled with good parenting to guide him.

It goes against the whole "IF SUPERMAN WAS REAL HED BE A DICK" argument/idea. Because it shows we don't know how much Superman's different than us INTERNALLY as well. Some people are moral and do good because they enjoy it and it makes them happy. Clark is simply one of these people, but given an ability that makes it way easier/rewarding to be one of those people.

>>80946562
>>80947002

Yeah, it's a good idea but the book seemed to lose focus on it.
>>
>>80947208
>It goes against the whole "IF SUPERMAN WAS REAL HED BE A DICK" argument/idea. Because it shows we don't know how much Superman's different than us INTERNALLY as well. Some people are moral and do good because they enjoy it and it makes them happy. Clark is simply one of these people, but given an ability that makes it way easier/rewarding to be one of those people.

This is a really great idea.
>>
>>80943841
In my opinion this and supreme are two cases of comics showing how unashamed they are of their heritage.
All-Star supes shows why superman doesn't need to be hard edged or more like batman to still resonate with people and be beautiful.
Grant Morrisons writing is particularly refreshingly to the point in this one. And quitely's art makes for what is easily my fav visual representation of superman ever. It made me love short capes again. It's the sole reason why I still love superman in trunks and wish he would go back to them. It also cemented my love of quitely as my fav comic artist.
Superman in this is a true superman not just a nice guy with lots of powers.

Holy hell it really makes me wish Morrison and quitely would get together on an just as long mini series for Shazam. Between Quitelys in this and jupiters legacy, and Morrisons writing in this and Thunderworld....holy hell i could only imagine what that would be like.
>>
File: shaner GL.png (918KB, 800x717px) Image search: [Google]
shaner GL.png
918KB, 800x717px
>>80947772
>Holy hell it really makes me wish Morrison and quitely would get together on an just as long mini series for Shazam. Between Quitelys in this and jupiters legacy, and Morrisons writing in this and Thunderworld....holy hell i could only imagine what that would be like.

This so much.

I would also love to see morrison do a GL book too, and as much as I love Quitely's art, I don't think it fits the tone of GL well.

Get morrison together with shaner or alex ross and create a GL masterpiece.
>>
It's my personal gospel!
>>
File: Forever-Evil-Hug.png (363KB, 630x303px) Image search: [Google]
Forever-Evil-Hug.png
363KB, 630x303px
>>80944888
I want to hug Superman Bizarro would be great too
>>
>>80943841
I hope the thread stays alive for another hour or 2 so I can finish it and discuss.
>>
>>80943841
Read it a year or two ago. I thought it was ok. A little weird but I geniunely dislike the whole Superman can see people's life auras!

I get why writers try to use that as some sort of justification as to why he values life so much but I prefer it when he just chooses to respect and value living things because he's not some dick.
>>
It highlights that Superman is more than a super strong alien that fights villains and shows him as an inspiration. This and Peace on Earth are two of the books I recommend to people so they can get a feel for Superman.
>>
>>80948897
been enjoying it so far?

>>80948925
It goes even further too. I can recall three different comics where he can see another beings soul.

I think that's cool as fuck, but I guess I can see why it might take you out of the story.
>>
>>80949044
peace on earth is phenomenal too, I really love that book.
>>
>>80945308
This - it's very re-readable. I've re-read Secret Identity more times simply because a friend has the trade and when I am traveling, there's not a lot to read at their home when I spend the night.

What's also really cool is how Morrison picked up all these Silver Age touches (the Kandor episode in the children's ward, for example, picks up on a Silver Age book with a "New Power" of Kal's being that he shot out a tiny Superman out of his fingers that would be able to perform whatever needed to be done because your 'normally' sized Superman was not able to do so. You can enjoy the story in All Star without knowing this detail, but it's a cool little 'Easter Egg' (all of which are done very cleverly - it's not just a building with Big Belly Burger or some such but an integral element in the story being told).

>>80947208
This as well.
>>
>>80947772
Actually, I loved Shaner's work on Thunderworld, and I'd rather see a Morrion/Shaner long mini-series. Quitely was really good in this (and in the WE3 mini, for example), but I think Shaner was tighter; Quitely's Captain might looked body-wise an awful like like Clark does in this as Supes, and I think Shaner's work there is better (although I'd also like to see Shaner do an on-going and I'm sure he would up for it as well).
>>
>>80943841
I really liked where he wanted to see how a universe without Superman would be, and then saw Siegel and Shuster drawing him. Really ties into Morrison's whole philosophy when it comes to comics.
>>
I love the whole "nobody notices that Superman = Clark because of his posture".
>>
Nothing, I really hate this one and think it's overrated as fuck. It might be good, but don't think it's on that 'quintessential' list people throw around.
>>
I love the scenes when Clark saves people while making it look like an accident. They flow so well into the background that I didn't even notice them in my first read through.

Also Lex pencilling in his eyebrows. Top kek. Really shows you how vain he is.
>>
>morrison
no, thanks
>>
>>80950603
I always find it sad when someone seems to hate something and the reasoning seems centered around it being 'overrated'.

It just makes me realize how many people are actually incapable of seeing the quality of something because other people mention how much they like it.
>>
>>80950775
typical fanboy post
>I always find it sad when someone seems to hate something
oh no someone doesn't like what i like
>the reasoning seems centered around it being 'overrated'.
>reasoning
i like how morrison fags always brag about the deep story with
>metaphors of allegories
but can neither into reading comprehension nor understand the difference between causality and and correlation
>It just makes me realize how many people are actually incapable of seeing the quality of something because other people mention how much they like it.
ok, you actually are from tumblr, aren't you?
>>
>>80950857
Wow now you just sound like a wounded faggot.
I enjoyed all-star superman but I doubt id call myself a fanboy. I just find it funny how impressionable people are by others opinions on stuff. I mean you mention the 'oh no someone doesn't like what i like' idea when you just said...you just said...
>It might be good
>I really hate this one
>It might be good
>and think it's overrated as fuck.
>It might be good, but don't think it's on that 'quintessential' list people throw around.

That doesn't strike you as a little pathetic. I mean you get one comment about your reasoning and boom, off to the races. Going on and on about morrison fags bragging about deep story, metaphors of allegories, tumblrina accusations.

Sorry man but when I hear someone criticize something. and the word 'overrated' appears in that criticism. I pretty much can't see that person as anything but the critical equivalent of the anti-social teen who doesn't want to be seen as a conformist.
>>
>>80950947
ok i'll try to explain for a slow one a last time:
>i don't like vanilla ice cream
you shouldn't have a problem understand this, right?
>i don't like vanilla ice cream because it's too expensive
here i give you the reason why i come to the opinion, that i don't like vanilla ice cream. if it's it's not expensive, there would be nothing, what makes me not like ice cream.
ok, that was still the easy part, now comes the hard part
>i don't like it vanilla ice cream and it's too expensive.
so here comes the difference: the high price has nothing to do with me not liking vanilla ice cream. i still woudn't like it, if the price is cheaper, because that's not the reason.
if you still don't understand it, you are free to go on rage about other peoples opinion.
although you really would find more friends on tumblr.
>>
>>80948925
>>80949111
That's another touch that Morrison picked up, the entire Lex Luthor at the end, when the gravity gun has almost pulled him out his powers, is a very classic Morrison touch on it, but that Superman's vision abilities go beyond the microscopic (which is also in books about Kara and Kon) and the x-ray to other visual abilities.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.