[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are you bothered by the possible lack of colors in a comic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (139KB, 1080x810px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139KB, 1080x810px
Are you bothered by the possible lack of colors in a comic?

Did you ever read black and white-only comics (except japanese stuff)?
What do you think about that technique?
Do you think ink can be a valid alternative to colors?
>>
>>80875686
I probably prefer B&W for calm slice of life type stuff.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2048x1584px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2048x1584px
>>80875720
what about noir-like stuff?
think about Sin City
>>
Manga kind of hurts my brain after reading for awhile, the black and white makes it wear on me. I don't dislike it, it's just tiring, you know?

Comics with good colors feel amazing. Bad coloring makes the art look bad and makes my mind disengage with the story.
>>
>>80875846

Your head is weak.

I bet your head hurts if you look at the color yellow.
>>
I don't mind B&W, but for capeshit, I've gotten used to colors. I've thought about they making capeshit comics in black and white to save on production costs and leaving color for trades only, though.

I've read my share of B&W indie comics, as well as mangoes, and I think it gives it a nice ghosty feel. But color can give a nice aspect, especially if you're dealing with a competent colorist that manages to keep it gritty.
>>
>>80875846
>Manga kind of hurts my brain after reading for awhile, the black and white makes it wear on me. I don't dislike it, it's just tiring, you know?
There are few manga that actually do black and white well which is fucking ridiculous. Your head is probably hurting from staring at thin black lines washed out by whiteness everywhere else.
>>
>>80875846
This guy gets it. The answer is what ever style servers the story best.
>>
File: 1430042802732.png (181KB, 501x445px) Image search: [Google]
1430042802732.png
181KB, 501x445px
I hate the colorists who think brown/gray means realism but what makes it worse is that the only alternative are colorists who put gridients into everything.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1250x970px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1250x970px
Colors can fuck all over the art.
>>
Colors are overrated and add to that the fact that your average american capeshit page is often unpleasantly busy and you get eye cancer.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 1800x1367px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 1800x1367px
>>80875992
we simply change our tastes and techniques with time, colors just don't age well.
>>
>>80876084
Shit
it reminds me of the Killing Joke recolor
>>
>>80876084
Do you have more examples like this?
>>
>>80875883
>capeshit
Fuck off back to /tv/
>>
>>80876084
>>80878423
>>80878480
But that's the good recolor, the bad one is the Marvel one.
>>
I really wanna read Claremont/Byrne X-Men in B&W, i've heard it's much better.

99% of the time recolors are shit
>>
>>80876084
the tastes didn't change, the cost of production did
>>
b/w works best when the artist understands shit like how to properly use black space, but if not that I prefer it to be highly detailed which also works well with b/w
>>
>>80875686
I think there's a lot of comic art that loses power with color.
Mignola is strong both B&W and in color, and some like Land absolutely need an awesome colorist to look even decent. But some like Capullo, Lee, Walker, Platt, Pacheco, Finch, DeZuniga, Silvestri and Miller actually lose impact with color.
>>
>>80878611
Byrne's work looks great in black and white, those Uncanny X-Men essential books are worth it

> 99% of the time recolors are shit

I think the real problem is digital restoration of the original colors for old comics. Newsprint help to mute the colors, but on modern glossy paper they come across as garish.
>>
>>80880119
>Capullo
Who was his Zero Year colorist? Because Zero Year without the color would lose a lot of its charm.
>>
I always find it funny when color coded heroes get B/W art, kinda ruins the names
>pick up Showcase Blue Beetle
>art is B/W
>>
>>80880185
FCO Plascencia, he's pretty much Capullo's official colorist since they worked before on Spawn and Haunt.
>>
>>80880173

i'm so mad they aren't in print
>>
>>80875931
>colorists who put gridients into everything.
thank Varley for starting that meme
>>
>>80880302
Volume 2 is pretty cheap online, it's just volume 1 you may end up paying a little over MSRP for
>>
>>80875686
Absolutely B & W, duo-tone, screentones, they all look great to me.It's old news now but I love risograph printing too. In fact I prefer the aforementioned to today's modern digital colouring. Cartoonists like Carol Swain who uses coloured pencils, Dash Shaw's background's painted on acetate cells...so much innovation happening nowadays. But B & W, grayscale and duo=tone are my favourite "looks"
>>
There's a difference between uncolored inks and something drawn to actually be black and white.
>>
>>80875686
Batman Black and White. I hope there will be new ones someday.
>>
>>80875686
>>
>>80880593

they've been releasing the Noir black and white versions of classic Batstories, I've been tempted
>>
>>80880593
There's a new one coming out by Morrison.
>>
Shakara is one of my favorite comics and it's black and white.
>>
>>80880593
>The Crow artist isn't making a Batman comic

why
>>
>>80880884
>Shakara
>uses red, blue and yellow
>black and white
>>
File: FILE255.gif (2MB, 372x323px) Image search: [Google]
FILE255.gif
2MB, 372x323px
>>80880325
>mfw
>>
>>80875686
Actually sometimes I am bothered by color in comics, like TWD for example I am used to the Black and White format that when I saw the colored edition of the 1st issue it bothered me and it didn’t look as good.

Same thing happened with Judge Dredd, the Case files are in black and white and now Judge Dredd comics in color feel weird.
>>
>>80875686
I have the DC showcase #1 of Booster Gold which is black and white, and I felt compelled to color it in where it was a single page. I couldn't color in the whole thing though because the paper is double sided and the ink would bleed through it.
>>
>>80880923
Fuck, I don't know why it was black and white in my head.
>>
>>80875686
>Did you ever read black and white-only comics
Fuckload of comics I read were B&W.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.