[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should a Superman game have to be open-world to be considered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: 1399586397804.jpg (560KB, 1481x2019px) Image search: [Google]
1399586397804.jpg
560KB, 1481x2019px
Should a Superman game have to be open-world to be considered a good Superman game?

What should a Superman game play like?
>>
There will never be a good Superman game because all the things that make Superman a great character can't be translated into videogames.
>>
>>80331618
Open world, literally the entire world. You fly into low orbit and listen for lives to save
>>
>>80331633
No, fuck you, it's possible. You just need the right imagination, resources, and a talented dev team to do it.
>>
>>80331618
Auto-adjusting attack damage. You should be able to smack crooks around if you want without them dying. Heat vision is non-lethal except with robots or heck, undead.

Crooks never kill hostages and other people on your watch, all they can do is shoot in their direction or in the air, or threaten them. Being Superman should be fun, not a chore with a "lives not saved" counter
>>
>>80331645

Anything is possible. It's just highly improbable that a good Superman game will ever exist.
>>
>>80331658
That's actually not a bad idea at all.

>>80331663
People said the same shit about Batman.
>>
Super speed has a meter, say because it's based on strength not Speedforce.
>>
>>80331634
I'm thinking something like this. There's a "listening mode" overworld map where you're essentially flying in low-earth orbit, then hotspots appear below you depending on how you've leveled your senses.

Difficulty levels are shown in the color of the hotspots and you can choose to head for any particular one. Then either each one is an instanced pre-generated map with a task to accomplish, or semi-false "open world" where the scale transition is seamless.

Of course, this is just one aspect of the game - the random mission/side-quest part. Main plot may use this system or not at all.
>>
>>80331674

Batman is easier to translate into a gaming environment, though. Superman? Not so much. I mean, yes, you can replicate his powers and all that easy-peasy these days - but his characterization would suffer from being in a linear, constricted environment like a videogame.

I'm not saying a good Superman game is impossible. It's just not likely to ever happen. But I'll be glad to have someone prove me wrong.
>>
>>80331658
Saw in a thread before that Supes rarely/never uses his heat vision on living targets. Not sure how that'll translate though.

Maybe a "morality"/"purity"/"super-ness" system that essentially gets you points for doing Superman-acts and docks you points when you don't?

So for boss battles, you can choose to go Man of Murder but it'll dock you Super points? Then your suit gets darker and darker the less points you currently have.
>>
>>80331618
Like Flower.

Chill flight simulator with pleasant visuals.
>>
>>80331728
Like I said it sounds like a chore. Have the game auto-target criminals' guns when you use heat vision.

Man of Murder or Zod mode would be an unlockable bonus mode
>>
>>80331760
Hmm....maybe whenever you get close enough and press a button to chamber heat vision, only a set number of targets are available with reticles around them. So like, guns, knives, the floor they're standing on, smoke detectors, etc.
>>
>>80331634
>>80331700
I think just Metropolis and the surrounding countryside, plus the airspace around Metropolis would be fine as the main overworld of the game. Plus there could always be the option to go to other areas, like the Fortress of Solitude, maybe depending on the game, Apokalips, other cities, Warworld, etc.

Structurally, it's going to have to be unique. Initially I didn't even want an open-world Superman game until I saw this webm: >>329216830

Now I do, since I imagine flying around everywhere as Superman, responding to threats or catastrophes, like a crashing airplane or supervillains, would feel EXACTLY like Superman. When I envisioned a Superman game, I would always think about the combat first and foremost, which I still think should probably be THE most important aspect. But open-world, as much as I almost hate to admit it as I'm not a big fan of open-world games, generally speaking, would fit Superman like a glove.

But even still, as an open-world game, it should be unique. For example, I think you should have these big, bombastic sequences for boss fights that wouldn't be out of place in a Platinum Games experience, which is atypical for open-world games. The catch could be that after the fight, all the collateral damage that you caused or which might be pre-determined by the game itself would still be there. Which means you might pass by that area of the game and think, "Yeah, that's where I fought _____."

>Of course, this is just one aspect of the game - the random mission/side-quest part. Main plot may use this system or not at all.
That's how I always envisioned it as well. Like maybe once you go on a mission, it might become linear or something, which I think might work really well for certain kinds of missions. I even had the idea of the game being linear as fuck, but for a post-game reward, you could navigate Metropolis or even other areas as much as you wanted, responding to whatever threats that you might run into.
>>
>maim villain transports a mini red sun into the earth's orbit
>weakens superman massively
>he can still do everything superman does but 100x weaker

Wow so fucking hard. Now you can take normal damage from large weapons and enemies.
>>
>>80331705
how the fuck would his characterisation not work for him but will for Batman
>>
>>80331829
No, that should be saved for a level or a chapter of the game. Maybe Lex Luthor unleashes Solaris, the Tyrant Sun or something and for one chapter, you're powerless or severely weakened compared to what you can normally do. The next chapter afterward has you gaining all your abilities back
>>
>>80331808
>>>/v/329216830
>>
It's not hard. A billion games have been made with flying characters. I don't understand why everyone thinks it's so difficult. Because he's invincible? Well you might as well be invincible in most modern games anyway. Just make failure states based on the mission instead of an arbitrary health bar and you're done.

All you have to do is make a good game and then put Superman in it. There's absolutely nothing intrinsic about the character that wouldn't work in a video game.
>>
>>80331921
>? Well you might as well be invincible in most modern games anyway. Just make failure states based on the mission instead of an arbitrary health bar and you're done.
Honestly? Just give him a health bar anyway and fill the game with enemies and bosses who could actually kill him. BE CREATIVE!

>All you have to do is make a good game and then put Superman in it. There's absolutely nothing intrinsic about the character that wouldn't work in a video game.
Exactly.
>>
File: file.jpg (2MB, 1843x1009px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
2MB, 1843x1009px
Again I'm gonna say, just do a World's Finest game.

You switch between Batman and Superman. You use them to complete objectives by combining Batman's subterfuge and Superman's massive power. So basically it's just Arkham plus Superman. Boom, massive sales, perfect with Batman v Superman being a guaranteed hit.
>>
>>80332044
A Justice League game would make more sense than just a World's Finest game.
>>
>>80332044
Have it start out with a weakened Superman who regains strength via exp, like a Year One story or post Doomsday resurrection
>>
>>80332291

>a weakened Superman who regains strength via exp

Didn't they try that with Superman 64?
>>
>>80331618
>>80331634
>>80331808
You'd be better off not limiting the game to taking place on Earth, just let him fly in space to other planets. Limit the space on those planets, but going off world removes any limits of environment variety. Just make additional planets available as cheap DLC. Like, a dollar per world.

>>80331705
Easier? They both have the same "I can do anything I want" abilities, the only difference is scale.

>>80331782
Maybe use it to express his speed, when you arrive on the scene time stops and you can plot your moves like disabling guns and catching bullets.

>>80331921
There are more than enough beings in DC that can threaten Superman, they just need to get over the idea that it has to be a mook with a gun. Have him fight parademons, yellow and red lanterns, demons, kryptonite robots, powerful aliens, etc.
>>
>>80332347
>You'd be better off not limiting the game to taking place on Earth, just let him fly in space to other planets. Limit the space on those planets, but going off world removes any limits of environment variety. Just make additional planets available as cheap DLC. Like, a dollar per world.
Idk about that.

What I'd want to do is make a game that were more 'condensed' like a proper action game should be. A game with stellar environments and deep, varied combat.

Flying around in space and shit sounds cool, but what are you going to have him do besides that?
>>
>>80332387
The combat is crucial. Debris needs to deal damage to things it hits based on it's velocity and weight. Objects need to be able to be melted, and molten rock or metal needs to have it's own effects. Broken glass needs to cut people. It would be a terrible idea of not paying attention to these things made you lose the game, but if you DO pay attention, if you do things like create wind vortexes to deflect debris and vaporize glass shards, the game should reward you for it.
>>
>>80331618

They've already made a good open-world Superman game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiP_-R4p9LA
>>
>>80331633
>05
Kickass science-fantasy adventures that happen on a massive scale can easily work in a videogame it just can't be done by an American or Canadian. The development of the game needs to be outsourced to the Japanese.
>>
>>80333226
>Muh japs

You want a Superman game that's just Asura's Wrath?
>>
>Superman game
>needs to be a realistic simulation of the entire DC universe Superman can visit.
>>
> open world city of Metropolis and some outer regions
> scoring based of public perception
> too much collateral damage is unacceptable
> flying too fast near buildings breaks windows
> strength gauge like a volume up/down using d-pad
> super hearing to locate incidents
> heat vision can cut holes in walls
> non combat missions are semi rail based qte
> still need to maintain secret identity and job, be Clark Kent for portions of the game (stealth style)
>>
>>80331857
Superman doesn't like violence
>>
>>80333950
>scoring based of public perception
Please no, I'm getting ASM2 flashbacks
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (105KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
105KB, 1280x720px
Been thinking about this a while, and I think a good solution is to have the whole thing set on War World.

basic premise: Mongul led a successful invasion of Earth and captured a ton of heroes and villains, Superman included, and is forcing them via control disks or some such to battle in his gladiatorial arenas.

Superman gets free with telepathic help from Martian Manhunter, who serves as your navigator, and has to battle his way through legions of robotic guards, death-traps, simulated hostile environments, giant monsters, and even his fellow mind-controlled heroes as bosses alongside similarly coerced villains (or some that just joined up with the winning side.)

Mongul serves as the final boss.

I figure Supes may have been drained of a portion of his solar energy reserves or else there's some red solar panels set up throughout War World and one play mechanic will be finding sources of sunlight to recharge to full power. There's no real limit on how long you can be at full power, it's just a product of the environment, so things can be harder or easier depending on how well you manage your reserves.
>>
>>80334158
you're on to something anon
>>
>>80334246
I figure the biggest "problem" with a Superman game for this generation is that the average gamer won't want to be too careful of the environment or civilians. On some level I kind of agree that that is a bit of a dag, it's a chore to have to save everyone and not break stuff, even if that is what Superman is all about.

So, just move him to some place where it's not an issue. A giant mobile engine of destruction full of robots and monsters seems perfect. It's actually in everyone's best interest to tear up as much of it as possible, so go nuts.
>>
File: faora smallville fight.webm (2MB, 854x360px) Image search: [Google]
faora smallville fight.webm
2MB, 854x360px
>>80332497
I like the idea of being able to melt things with your heat vision.

I think in general, the combat should be like webm-related. Very fast but also very technical, like a Platinum game. Maybe not combo-based, but you could have different techniques you could maybe set, which might be traditional Superman "attacks", like grabbing the concrete ground and whipping it up, or grabbing them, spinning them around, and throwing them.
>>
So, bear with me here, what about an Assassin's Creed style game play?

You can walk and move freely. Holding down a button allows you to move at super speeds for short periods of time if you're on the ground (much like sprinting). If you jump or are in the air, then holding down that button will allow you to fly - releasing allowing you to land.
>you could even animate Supes to strike different poses from different heights. Close to the ground, he'll glide softly. Falling from an incredible height, he crouches into a heroic fist down gesture.
>i.e. A button for his legs/flight

Another button held down activates his various visions and senses (like heat, x-ray, hearing, etc.
>i.e. A button associated with his head

Another button to attack - punches, throws, and slams. Conversely, this button could also help you interact with the environment for combat - like picking up a car and hurling or picking up something heavy and swinging it like a baseball bat. Perhaps, if timed right, holding in the sprint function, then letting go of it, then timing the attack button just right, Supes can perform a speed punch or tackle maneuver.
>i.e. A button for his hands

All of this would have to contextual of course.
>>
I haven't finished 3 yet but he was fine in Lego Batman 2. Just make a Lego game in Metropolis (of course the title being Lego Batman 4: World's Finest because they can't drop the branding at this point).
>>
>>80333658
No, he wants a Superman game like Bayonetta or W101, maybe. That's what I want, anyway.

But open-world
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.