[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that Gravity Falls is ending, what is the best cartoon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 15

File: maxresdefault.jpg (41KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
41KB, 1280x720px
Now that Gravity Falls is ending, what is the best cartoon currently on TV?
>>
>>79803945
Star vs The forces of evil and Gumball are tied for first place.
Either SU ot Clarence depending on your tastses for second and third.
>>
>>79804022
>Star
wtf that's average city

Replace Star with Wander and your list is fine
>>
Venture Bros.
>>
>>79803945
Pick Any of these

>Gumball
>Star Vs
<Wander Over Yonder
>Steven Universe
>Rick and Morty
>Pickle and Peanut
>Harvey Beaks

It depends on your taste really.
>>
File: 1438807949249.jpg (26KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
1438807949249.jpg
26KB, 600x375px
>>79804109
>pickle and peanut
>harvey beaks
>>
>>79804092
Came to post this, then thought about it a bit longer and now I'm torn between Venture and Bobs Burgers.
>>
Nothing. Gravity Falls was the last saving grace for cartoons for me and now that's ending so I'm gonna quit /co/ after the 15th. It's been six painful years on this board but I'm finally gonna do it. I wish to see The Loud House and Zootopia generals next month but I guess it's not in the cards for me.
>>
>>79803945
It's Steven Universe and you fags know it, Gumball is a close second
>>
File: photo.jpg (147KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
147KB, 900x900px
>>79804109

>Steven Universe
>Rick and Morty
>Pickle and Peanut
>Harvey Beaks
>>
>>79803945
Venture Bros, then you can feel like it got cancelled while you wait half a decade for the next Season.
>>
Gravity Falls is/was terrible. Gumball will continue to be the best.
>>
>>79803945
The same as it was when Gravity Falls was on the air.
>>
>>79804202

Only by default. Cartoons are a stagnated medium in the west.
>>
>>79804139
>>79804228

Shit taste niggers, especially with Pickle and Peanut.
>>
>>79804282
>pickle and peanut
>not breadwinners 2.0
>>
File: sphinx.gif (455KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
sphinx.gif
455KB, 500x281px
But anon Venture Bros has always been there.
>>
File: andmaggiemakesthree9_thumb.png (137KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
andmaggiemakesthree9_thumb.png
137KB, 512x384px
>>79804170
>I'm gonna quit /co/ after the 15th. It's been six painful years on this board but I'm finally gonna do it.
>>
Wander Over Yonder
>>
Venture Bros
>>
Adventure Time is the obvious answer
>>
>>79804170
I wish you the best of luck.
>>
>>79804486
Maybe it was 2011.
>>
FIM
>>
>>79804546
Fuck you. You know that, you're just going to summon him, and the thread is just going to become useless now.
>>
>>79804170
>I'm gonna quit /co/ after the 15th
no anon, don't do it! How will the board survive without your trademark style and wit? I'll certainly miss seeing your name around the place. I'd upvote this twice if I could xD
>>
>>79804380

P&P is a AS show that accidentally made it to Disney. Also I'm pretty sure /co/mblr would enjoy subversive garbage.
>>
>>79804486

I guess you live in an alt universe where seasons 4-6 did not exist.
>>
>>79804572
Good thing there's a handy report feature and trolling is against the rules
^;)
>>
>>79804681
It's a funny ridiculous show though. It's got the best humor of any cartoon right now.
>>
>>79804511
I actually have been unironically enjoying the new episodes, what's wrong with them.

Rick and Morty
Venture Bros
Adventure Time

Only good toons out on my list.
Gravity falls was fucking awful. I mean... It's Disney... How can you guys even pretend to like something so bland and soulless?
>>
>>79804708
Dude what?
Okay in all seriousness, I'm not even shitposting, I just want to know the logic behind why people hated seasons 4-6.
Did you like the show originally for it's goofy humor? Did you not want any character development? Did the metaphysical exploration seem to insist upon it's self?
I for one think the shows best season were 4-6 and 7 so far is even better.
I legitimately enjoy the storyline, characters and themes explored and how they portray them.

Is this about Rebbecca Sugar? Steven Universe is awesome but it's not like adventure time died when she left.
>>
>>79804785
>It's Disney... How can you guys even pretend to like something so bland and soulless?
>Adventure Time

Ah...so I see you prefer soon to be dated hipster garbage to decent art and animation

Also, Venture Bros is the fucking Big Bang Theory of Adult Swim and Rick and Morty is overrated
>>
>>79805082
>comparing venture bros to bazinga

b8 pls leave
>>
>>79804056
No
>>
>>79805008

Adventure Time did all of it terribly and made constant status quo bullshit when they ran out of ideas. Maybe if the writers were not obnoxious hipster fanboys, it could have been executed more smoothly.
>>
>>79805126
I'm serious, when I watch that show all I see is "HEY NERD REFERENCE, GET IT? THIS SHOW IS FOR NERDS, HERE LOOK ANOTHER, I BET YOU GET THIS PARODY HUH? CAUSE WE'RE ALL NERDS HERE!"
>>
>>79805008

It was horrible the way they went about it. I'm glad you are alone in your opinions.
>>
>>79805261
>>
>>79805082
Ah so now it all becomes clear.
You guys don't like Adventure Time because you find it to pretentious?
Well fair enough criticism but I still think that the show takes itself lightly enough that it can make a few weird points here and there.

And I'm sorry dude but Gravity Balls is literally such shit tier art in my mind. Adventure Time may be hipster bit Gravity Falls is down right tumblr Normie.

I mean, I'm not above convincing, maybe I just haven't given the show a chance but every time I try and jump into it, I cringe right back out. It's a cringey tryhard show.
>>
>>79805008

>Steven Universe is awesome

Really, nigga?

>but it's not like adventure time died when she left

She was the reason the show died.
>>
File: 1431221798857.jpg (102KB, 916x690px) Image search: [Google]
1431221798857.jpg
102KB, 916x690px
>>79805297
>differing opinion
>bait

Sure thing brah, Venture Bros is as try hard as it gets
>>
>>79805008

Everything about your post is obnoxious and wrong.
>>
>>79805008
It turned into Avant Garde crap with enough abandoned plot lines to creat an entire new show
Finn became an empty shell who doesn't really react or care strongly about anything.
The plot in general just meanders every which way possible with almost no coherence
Individually the episodes were okay to good but taken together theyre bad
>>
>>79805317
>You guys don't like Adventure Time because you find it to pretentious?

I don't find it pretentious at all, I find it pretty vapid to be honest. By "hipster" I'm mainly talking about the fad artstyle it uses and the fact that it replaces genuine humor and jokes with randomness and quirk, something hipsters love

LOL THAT GUY IS A LEMON AND HE SCREAMS
Ok, why's that funny?
LOL IT JUST IS
>>
>>79805008

You sound like a millennial potsmoker.
>>
>>79805437
>not understanding the sociopolitical implications of the screaming lemon
>>
>>79805251
>>79805291
>>79805339
>>79805375
>>79805395
>>79805437
Oh here we fucking go. So the show isn't cool enough? Right on.

I get what a lot of you are saying. It's not quite enough to make me not enjoy the show and I don't find it uninspired at all, it's still really fascinating in a good ol fashioned cartoon way. Many of the new episodes have some damn interesting themes (like that shit w/ bmo and thus semi jokingly confronting the theme of growing up) yet I could see how you guys find it creatively bankrupt.

Still I feel like every critique you have I could say the same about G Falls. How exactly is it the better show? I find it vapid and uninteresting as well but it also just feels like it panders to this fascination with kids about secret societies and "le mysterious topix xDD"
Explain.
>>
File: image.jpg (66KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 640x1136px
>>79805703
Forgot pic
>>
>>79805703
Because Gravity falls has a very well structured plot that knows exactly where it is going and threads its preferred themes and overarching plot through almost every episode
You didn't really respond to any of our statements and I realize you are more than likely baiting but still.
Poor show old boy
>>
File: 1427969761153.jpg (481KB, 1365x1586px) Image search: [Google]
1427969761153.jpg
481KB, 1365x1586px
>>79804265
>Cartoons are a stagnated medium in the west.
Meanwhile all Japan produces is generic Shonen Battle/Harem/Moeshit.
>I want to be the best (profession)
>Cute girls doing cute things
>Seven girls are in love with me even though I have no personality or distinguishing characteristics. What ever shall I do?
>>
>>79805703
There isn't much to explain, for me anyway. I don't watch either show religiously but I've seen both enough to know what they're about, and from my perspective Gravity Falls is a pretty funny and creative show and Adventure Time is a show that's primary appeal is that it seems to follow every rule in the hipster handbook, it's never made me laugh once because as far as I can tell there aren't even jokes, nor has it made me interested in any of the characters

If you like it, fine, I'm sure there must be something good about it if so many people like it but it certainly isn't for me, I don't like to ruin anybodies good time with a show but I'm just being honest about the impression it gives me

Just for the record, I don't really like any of the shows on CN other than Gumball, don't like SU and Regular Time to me is by far the worst...I liked that show when I first saw it and it quickly grew to be the most irritating thing I've ever watched
>>
>>79804250
>Gravity Falls
>terrible

Diarrhea taste.
>>
>>79805849
>Because Gravity falls has a very well structured plot that knows exactly where it is going and threads its preferred themes and overarching plot through almost every episode

you missed season 2 right?
>>
>>79806277
No. The first half led very clearly to stanford and the second half was admittedly kinda fillerish but still leading to weirdmaggedon. The themes of family and trust are woven through almost every episode. It is leaps and bounds above Adventure Time in terms of plot cohesion and getting its themes across
>>
>>79805703

>So the show isn't cool enough?
>uses Gravity Falls as a defense when no one even talked about it

That's what you got from these posts? Are you sure you are not shitposting?
>>
>>79805703

You are either a shitposter or is a former AT writer who's salty. Your responses to these posts doesn't even make sense. Kinda like the show itself.
>>
I know it will piss off everyone here but in this order for me personally

Rick n Morty
South Park (seriously this last season was gold)
Venture Bruvs
>>
it is really weird to read the criticism on cartoons these days. i mean, its absolutely unquestionable that the average cartoon today is much better than the average cartoon 20 years ago; please take into consideration the nostalgia factor and the fact that 1 masterpiece that might have bedn made 20 years ago doesnt defeat the standard of today, which is much higher. its almost like the watchers feel the need to keep up the more complex and polished cartoons with more complex and polished criticism. why is that though? if something like gravity falls came out at that time it would be forever praised as the best thing in the universe for sure, why cant it have the same impact now?
>>
>>79806681
Is your name Vandal? Cause that shit is Savage
>>
Dick and Shorty
>>
>>79805938

You clearly don't watch anime aside from some low tier anime you saw as a kid in the 90's.
>>
File: 1454642529886.jpg (238KB, 816x1356px) Image search: [Google]
1454642529886.jpg
238KB, 816x1356px
>>79805703
>>
>>79804170
>/gfg/ faggot
>looking forward to Fursuit and PedoIncest

Not surprised
>>
>>79806815
You mean the Reddit boogieman is a bannable offense?
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 407x377px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 407x377px
>>79803945
Stevens Univers is probably the best
Rick and Morty is good but I find it repetitive especially when it comes to the husband and wife.
AT and Gumball are still decent
Star VS is good and will probably get better since s1 had it trying to find what it was about
Bojack horseman will probably be hit or miss forever
MLP:FiM is getting better every season. While it has some bad episodes it also has some great episodes and isn't afraid to let the characters progress with what they do
Harvey Beaks and wonder over yonder are okay I guess
>>
>>79806733
Youre right though. Everyone who isn't a memer and has seen them loves all three. Last season of South Park was probably the best in years.
>>79806746
Because people hyper analyze every show and shitposters who don't see docile women in the kitchen start screaming tumblr. There are many very good cartoons out today but people hold them to an impossible standard that won't be met and they know won't be met and then complain when it isnt met
>>
>>79806815
You mean Bitch and Whorey?
>>
>>79806746
>if something like gravity falls came out at that time it would be forever praised as the best thing in the universe for sure
It is by some

>why cant it have the same impact now?
It does, for some, but the internet wasn't what it is now 20 years ago. We're on an anonymous website where posts can't be downvoted or anything like that, do you really not expect everybody to fight and call everything shit? I call things shit here all the time that I don't even think is shit just because someone has an opposing opinion, this is fueled by fandom rivalry that has always existed

I remember as a little kid me and my sister liked the X-Men cartoon, and our neighbors liked the Fantastic Four....originally, there was no issue...we didn't really love the Fantastic Four but we saw it, then one day our neighbors said "X-Men suck, Fantastic Four is better"

Well, you can guess what happened then...all the sudden the Fantastic Four is the gayest thing in the universe and only faggots liked them
>>
>>79806815
fuck off with that
>>
>>79805703
Gravity Falls was a pretentious show that turned out shit when it was made clear that it didn't go anywhere. Ironically the goofier episodes that weren't about the "main plot" are the better ones, in hindsight. Except for the few in s2 that do that, because they became unbearably preachy in an SJW fashion.
Adventure Time was a comedy show that turned into a pretentious shit show that never even tries to go anywhere without shooting itself on the foot as soon as it starts trying.
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 174x238px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 174x238px
>>79807123
>I don't know what pretentious means
>>
>>79807123
>triggered the post
What's the difference between an anon who says sjw more than twice and a sjw? There isnt one
>>
>>79806889
I bet you post on /r/4chan.
>>
File: 1453733786160.jpg (144KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1453733786160.jpg
144KB, 500x500px
>>79807161
>>79807229
Poor tumblr can't accept not everyone likes these new garbage cartoons.

>>79807123
>Except for the few in s2 that do that, because they became unbearably preachy in an SJW fashion.
Also, they just wasted time. Alex KNEW that season 2 would be the last one yet we had episodes about spiderpeople and other shit that could have been used to develop the plot and characters more for the finale.

Weirdmageddon Part 3 is going to be a rushed shitfest.
>>
File: 1452650943095s.jpg (6KB, 216x250px) Image search: [Google]
1452650943095s.jpg
6KB, 216x250px
>>79804022
>>79804109
star vs is ok but its not anythying other then average

what makes the show good?

the only really good part is the snake guy + monsters vs humans theme but it has not been explored enough
>>
>>79807625
Exactly. It hasnt been explored because there has only been one season of 13 episodes. My favorite part is the platonic friendship between the male and female protag which is very well done and almost non existent in the current era of cartoons. Other things are the (imo) very good humor, the great villian and male protag actually having a crush that might work and isnt 6-2000 years older than them. I won't try and make anyone watch it or force my opinion because I realize taste is subjective. But imo its creative and a fresh cartoon that has decent potential
>>
Why does Gravity Falls have so many fat people? Is Hirsch a chubby chaser as well as a faggot and a hack?
>>
>>79808529

Yes, he is two of those three things.
>>
File: 54089318_p0_master1200.jpg (268KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
54089318_p0_master1200.jpg
268KB, 600x600px
>>79807625
>>79807625
>what makes the show good?

Just my dumb opinions, but:

-I like the art style; it's not too simple and has a good amount of detail, but is still loose enough for it to get really exaggerated and cartoony too. In fact, the show very rarely keeps the characters looking strictly like the model sheets because it's storyboard driven, so there's a ton of unique expressions for characters looking happy, angry, etc. I also really like the background work and how the colors of characters change a lot with the lighting (not just 1 day palette/1 night palette and that's it). The designs might not appeal to everyone but it looks really good to me.

-The show has set up a good number of plot points that are going to be dealt with next season, and while I have no clue if those will actually be handled well, I like how the season went somewhere different by the end that wasn't obvious from day 1.

-Has good continuity but is kind of on the down-low about it, so it doesn't feel like it's beating you over the head with references to past episodes.

-It actually doesn't do a lot of things that could be annoying, like Star hiding her magic or Marco being a useless pussy, no frequent pop-culture references or 4th-wall breaking, etc. It's a premise that could have been obnoxious in a lot of ways but didn't go there.

-The main villain is competent and interesting, and isn't the type of character I'd expect from this kind of show, but so far they've pulled it off well.

-The friendship of Star and Marco is strong, and doesn't feel like one is superior and one's the joke character the way this type of pair can often go in cartoons. They care about each other and as of yet they haven't pushed any "will they or won't they" crush bullshit between the two.

I'm not going to call it the best thing ever or attempt to change your opinion, but for those who watched 1 episode and dropped it, it might be worth a second look because it does progress past the 1st episode.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.