[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

About uncle Scrooge, specifically DuckTales and the films where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 10

File: Onkel Joakim.jpg (126KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Onkel Joakim.jpg
126KB, 1024x768px
About uncle Scrooge, specifically DuckTales and the films where he has played a significant role.
In your country, assuming it is not part of the Anglosphere, did they give him a specific accent?

Alan Young did a great Scottish accent in the English language version, but as there is no such thing as a Scottish accent in my country (Denmark) the voice behind Scrooge here, actor John Hahn-Petersen, decided to give the character a light regional dialect from the island of Bornholm. It's quite distinctive and something most people will probably remember from the show.

What I want to know is, did something similar happen in other anon's countries? Was Scrooge given a specific accent or dialect in the versions that aired elsewhere in the world or was this aspect of his character not considered?

Please do chime in, because this is not information you can just google.
>>
Assuming there's anyone left on /co/ who's old enough to remember when it aired, I guess.
>>
>>78906858

The Swedish version has him with a Posh Stockholm(Rikssvensk) accent. The show was dubbed in stockholm and most of the cast is from that city, so all characters do talk rikssvenska, but Scrooge is the only one who sounds posh.
>>
>>78907408
Interesting choice. I thought the Scottish accent was actually to create a juxtaposition between his extreme wealth and humble beginnings. Making him both rich AND sounding posh must have been made the character seem different from the original, right?
>>
>>78907408
Posh yet very loveable, like an old grampa.
>>
File: Shame.png (344KB, 498x652px) Image search: [Google]
Shame.png
344KB, 498x652px
>>78906858
Also SHAME ON YOU AMERICA!
>>
>>78907512
He has a posh voice. McDuck's accent is very upper-class Edinburgh.

You're thinking of Glaswegian, which is what you hear 2 seconds before getting a bottle to the face.
>>
>>78907584
Don't know what they expected honestly.
>>
>>78907592
Well Scrooge is a Glasgae lad, just one born in the 19th century who spent only the first twelve years of his life in Scotland, and the next 88 in America. What that would to his accent is anyone's guess.
>>
>>78907642
Scrooge never forgot his roots.
I was so lucky to grow up on the island where the dialect used here originated so my father would read Donald Duck comics to me and do Scrooge's lines in the same way as on television.
>>
>>78907634
You'd hope that the spiritual successor of Carl Barks would've gotten some audience.

Then again, I don't know how big the Donald Duck comics are outside scandinavia these days.
>>
>>78906858
>Alan Young did a great Scottish accent in the English language version,

Funny thing is Don Rosa hates Young's performance as Scrooge.

He insists that Scrouge should have an American accent; that he would have assimilated and lost his Scottish accent long ago.

When you read Rosa's stories, you can tell he's writing him with an American voice as his Scrooge doesn't talk with any overblown Scotch-isms.

>Hoot mon!
>>
>>78907512
>I thought the Scottish accent was actually to create a juxtaposition between his extreme wealth and humble beginnings.

The Scottish accent is based on an old stereotype about Scotsmen being "thrifty"; ie cheap and miserly. Sorta like the Jew stereotype except Scots don't whine about it so nobody has ever really done anything to dissuade it.

The thrifty Scotsman stereotype was more prevalent in older cartoons, but still shows up from time to time (I think Penzoil ran a commercial series a few years ago with a Scotsman hitting people and telling them to save money by checking their oil more often).
>>
>>78907529

Pretty much. Even when his VA was too sickly and had to be replaced with another one(Guy de la Berg), that VA did his best Posh Stockholm accent, despite not being from there originally- born in Belgium, raised in Norrköping. However, he had about 40 years of acting on stage in Stockholm, so it wasn't hard for him to talk in a Stockholm accent.

The most interestingly different Scrooge was probably Johannes Brost(who only voiced Scrooge in the original dub of the Christmas Carol). He was significantly younger when doing the role, and his Scrooge is not posh but almost a bit rough. He also portrayed Scrooge as almost villainous in his voice, which the others certainly didn't:

Brost:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeUWUSfj7WQ

Harryson(the main VA for Scrooge for most of his appearances): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhkUQuPvAWY

Gonna be interesting to see who will do his voice in the new Ducktales, since both John Harryson(from Ducktales) and Guy De la Berg(his replacement) are dead. Brost is unlikely as he only ever voiced Scrooge once back in 1982.
>>
>>78907972
The guy who did the voice here in Denmark is also dead, sadly. Because he was also the voice of Winnie the Pooh, Clocksworth, Mumin dad, Jumba from Lilo & Stitch and lots of other Disney films as various characters. Hope they find a decent replacement.
>>
>>78907772
I don't think they were kept in print until recently when Fantagraphics started reprinting all of it in beautiful hardcovers
>>
>>78907817
>Funny thing is Don Rosa hates Young's performance as Scrooge.

Did Barks ever write Scrooge with a Scottish voice or was that something Christmas Carol came up with?
>>
>>78908397
Christmas Carol came up with it. Barks' Scrooge speaks pretty normally, no "CURSE ME KILTS!" or anything like that, but you could easily read his lines with a slight Scottish burr.
>>
Oh, and the swedish Scrooge usually used old-timey, child-friendly bible-based swears rather than "Boil me bagpipes", examples being terms like "Söderns drottning"(Queen of the South, a term for the Queen of Sheba, long associated with witchcraft).
>>
File: Soccermania.png (340KB, 580x423px) Image search: [Google]
Soccermania.png
340KB, 580x423px
If you want to hear something awkward, this was Scrooge's substitute voice for a special called Soccermania.

https://youtu.be/ggmVm2ljDuw

It actually came out between Christmas Carol and DuckTales, so I dunno why they didn't get Young. He sounds so wrong.
>>
>>78908226
Yikes, 4 years judging by the wiki.

Feels strange, In Sweden you can always find a Donald Comic around every corner.

We have the main comic, a pocket edition, a separate comic for classic Rosa & Barks, Mickey have his own comic and even Goofy and Gyro used to have theirs.
>>
File: ScroogeAndMoney.png (388KB, 638x436px) Image search: [Google]
ScroogeAndMoney.png
388KB, 638x436px
>>78908465
>Christmas Carol came up with it.

Scrooge having a Scottish accent goes all the way back to 1967, in his first animated appearance "Scrooge McDuck and Money".

https://youtu.be/BAFSrKqIKdc

But yeah, I don't think Barks ever had Scrooge say stuff like "laddy" or "lass", let alone "twist me tartan" or that other shit. Still, his accent was pretty much left up to interpretation and I don't think Barks ever laid down the law about it in the comics world.

The "no Scottish accent in the comics" thing is simply Don Rosa's headcanon, not "fact" by any means.
>>
>>78908397
>>78908465
>>78908727
Apparently at a convention or something someone asked Barks how he imagined Scrooge'd sound and he did say he pictured him with a Scottish accent, but yeah, no obvious indications in the dialogue one way or the other. Also after Christmas Carol apparently Barks sent Young a letter or autograph praising his voice acting and saying he WAS Scrooge, so it's not like Rosa hates it because of Barks or anything like that.
>>
File: Flintesten.jpg (128KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
Flintesten.jpg
128KB, 950x534px
But Rosa is the one who has pushed the Scottish ancestry the very hardest and mapped most of the McDuck clan.

Funny thing, here he is named "Joakim von And". In the translated version of Rosa's comics, Scrooge's parents was Frederik von And (of Dutch ancestry) and Clementine O'And (O'duck, which is a joke about the "O" being an Irish thing while the stories are set in Scotland). After they married, Frederik became the owner of the O'And castles and titles, while the name von And supplanted the original family name.

In a later story where Scrooge meets Gladstone Gander's father and a young Gladstone (renamed Guld-Iver Flintesten), Mr. Gander comments on the name being Dutch and remarks that he is of Dutch heritage himself, which leads to an immediate friendship. I don't imagine any of this is used at all in any other translations.
>>
>>78908612
That's an interesting one. Honestly it's a pretty good voice, it's expressive & distinct, but it just doesn't suit Scrooge in particular.
>>
>>78908612
>>78908673

Of the two "Not Alan Young" voices, I actually like them both, but I think Bill Thompson (Scrooge and Money) is better. Will Ryan's good, but maybe sounds too, I dunno. Spastic or energetic. Silly, I guess.

Scrooge hasn't had a bad voice, though. God forbid Young should pass anytime soon, but if he does, I do hope Disney casts actors of actual Scottish heritage to replace him. Young-himself is Scottish, after all, and had to relearn his accent to play Scrooge (he lost it for Mr. Ed).
>>
>>78910708
They're recasting him in the reboot coming out a couple years from now.

Honestly, my biggest hope is thst they get Young to voice his father Fergus.

>>78908673
My dream is, ince Disney finishes the excellent Mickey shorts they have now, they do a straight up adventure show based on Floyd Gottfriedson, Barks, and Rosa.
>>
>>78908612
Man, really fluid animation in this special.
>>
File: Stupid Danish people.webm (1020KB, 400x230px) Image search: [Google]
Stupid Danish people.webm
1020KB, 400x230px
>>78907512
>I thought the Scottish accent was actually to create a juxtaposition between his extreme wealth and humble beginnings
OR you know

The character is from Scotland

Danskjävel
>>
>>78906858
The hungarian version has no accent but the studio deliberately picked a friendly old voice.
>>
File: 1447590988397.jpg (109KB, 755x960px) Image search: [Google]
1447590988397.jpg
109KB, 755x960px
>>78917513

Oh fuck I just lost it
>>
>>78917676
Italian.
Scrooge had three voices in total (Mario Milita - voice of Fred Flintstone and Grandpa Simpson - in the first dub of Mickey's Christmas Carol, Gigi Angelillo - Alf's voice - in Duck Tales and a later redub of Mickey's Christmas Carol and Giorgio Lopez - Mr. Miyagi and Baby Herman's voice - in never stuff) and neither had some kind of accent. The Duck Tales dub instead gave Scrooge the quirk of saying comic book onomatopoeias out loud as a verbal tic.
>>
>>78906858
Russia here. No they didn't. They NEVER do. No characters ever get any accent in dubbing or voiceoer here.
>>
>>78917789
Russians don't have accents
>>
>>78917591
This. I liked his voice a lot as a kid.
>>
>>78917749
>Giorgio Lopez - Mr. Miyagi and Baby Herman's voice - in never stuff
Such as?
>The Duck Tales dub instead gave Scrooge the quirk of saying comic book onomatopoeias out loud as a verbal tic.
I hated that shit a lot, but then again I used to hate Duck Tales for -I understand now- not being like the comics and definitely being too American at the time
>>
>>78918115
Like in Mickey Mouseworks and House of Mouse.
>>
>>78917591
Does he even have a voice actor these days?
>>
>>78906858
German here. In our version there is no accent at all, but he is also just called Dagobert Duck, so there is not really connection to Scotland at all. Didn't Even know he was born in Scotland until I read Don Rosa.
>>
>>78908727
>60s cartoon writers knew more about sound economics than most of the world's governments today
This is depressing.
>>
>>78906858
Not really but note that many characters got other names in teh german translation. Like Flintheart Glomgold got changed to Mac Moneysac
>>
Scrooge is usually just referred to as Roope Ankka in the Finnish translations, but he was born Roope MacAnkka. He's had at least three different voice actors over the years and none of them tried to do any sort of accent. The Duck Tales dub voice is probably the most iconic, though even then most Finns will recognize Alan Young better since the show aired subbed (the dubs were only on the VHS release).
>>
>>78917513
Are Swedes really so stupid that they would not be able to understand that this was clearly implied, yet the question was if there was aa reasoning behind making him Scottish apart from a thrifty attitude?

This is why their country is dying, and good riddance to trash.
>>
>>78920840
>Moneysac
That's a strangely English pun for a German audience.
>>
>>78906858
In Finland, he doesn't have any accent or even a Scottish name. His name is translated as "Roope Ankka", so he has the same last name, "Duck", as Donald and Daisy et co. I was actually a bit surprised to find out from some stories he's supposedly Scottish, it's not at all evident. However in the episodes where they travel to his homeland in Scotland, the family is called McAnkka. Just not him.

Here's an episode with the findub if you're interested; https://vimeo.com/41479235
>>
>>78907584
Not our fault Disney never promotes him or advertises the comics here.
>>
>>78920684

THat and Disney's classic edutainment shorts are God Tier, at least so far as edutainment cartoons are concerned.

Just marathon them to a 7 year-old and they'll learn real easy.
>>
>>78907939
>The Scottish accent is based on an old stereotype about Scotsmen being "thrifty"; ie cheap and miserly.

Weird how it's okay to this very day to stereotype Scottish people as cheap and greedy.

But try that with the Jews and END OF THE WORLD
>>
>>78907584
The fuck is this shit? I didn't know he still attended cons. I woulda went and probably cried from meeting him.

I'd also want him to sign some comics, but I guess anything published under Disney would be in sour taste?
>>
>>78907584
If I knew I would have tried to be there, am legit sad that I didn't know. This is fucked up.
>>
>>78924744
Probably because six trillion scots didn't get production line genocided because of those kind of stereotypes.

Plenty of Jewish comedians who actually have a sense of humor still stereotype themselves that way though.
>>
File: Don Rosa Autograph.jpg (154KB, 1206x804px) Image search: [Google]
Don Rosa Autograph.jpg
154KB, 1206x804px
>>78924807
>I'd also want him to sign some comics, but I guess anything published under Disney would be in sour taste?
I'm guessing he'd just do like pic related.
>>
>>78917749
Italian Magica(renamed Amelia, BTW) does get a quite strong Napolitan accent.
>>
>>78925721
pretty rude defacing the guy's book like that
>>
>>78925721

>#1 for Charlotte 2014

Looks like that guy got his book signed at Heroes Con. I was there that year and Rosa signed everyone's Boom Studios Life & Times hardcovers like that. Told me he didn't have a good relationship with Boom, but didn't think it would be right to turn fans away just because they brought a copy of the Boom edition to him.

Rosa DID have a sign saying "No DuckTales", but he has that at every con.

Also, Rosa was like the nicest fuckin guy ever so I don't get why /co/ is always shitting on him.
>>
>>78926403
>I don't get why /co/ is always shitting on him

Probably because as you said he has an irrational almost borderline autistic hatred for DuckTales. Without that show he wouldn't have nearly 1/4 of his fanbase that he does.
>>
>>78925203

Plus, there's a subtle difference between the two stereotypes. The stereotypical Jew will do anything humanly possible to acquire more money, while the stereotypical Scott will do anything humanly possible to keep from losing money.
>>
>>78926469
>Probably because as you said he has an irrational almost borderline autistic hatred for DuckTales. Without that show he wouldn't have nearly 1/4 of his fanbase that he does.

Er, not really.

DuckTales is only popular in America and Rosa, as the above pic proves, has next to no fans in America.

All non-American duck fans are fans because of the comics; DuckTales literally had 0 impact on the size of Rosa's fanbase.

Although the fact that he actually wrote an episode of DuckTales does count against him.
>>
>>78907584
>Live in Albuquerque
>Fucking love Duck comics
>Been out of town for the holidays visiting family
>Had to miss this con
>Totally would've gone to that panel if I was there
>Feel really horrible now

That said, I have no idea what the fuck he was doing here. I'm probably the only person here who gives a shit about Duck comics.
>>
>>78926403
>I don't get why /co/ is always shitting on him
There's a lot of genuine love on /co/ for Rosa's work, especially Life and Times. People here might pick up on Rosa being a bit odd (which let's be honest, he is) but /co/ probably also has the highest concentration of English speaking fans of his work on the web.

As borderline autistic as Rosa might be (I mean come on, he uses drafting templates to draw the curvatures of the ducks' beaks perfect from every angle) he also seems like a really decent guy and is clearly passionate about his work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnY_U9fuDt0
>>
>>78907939
As my grandad from Fife always says "Copper wire was invented when 2 of us were fightin' over a ha'penny
>>
>>78927097
I'm an American Rosa fan. But I'm also a Chinese immigrant, and the only reason I got so into duck comics was because when I was a kid in China, Disney started publishing the Mickey Mouse magazine there and I read many Barks/Rosa stories through that.

I have not met anyone else in America that's really into the duck comics. All of my friends know DuckTales though and still remember the theme song.
>>
>>78927660

I think the reason Barks and Rosa aren't so well known in the US is because their work was never adequately reprinted.

Disney's comics were passed around between so many different publishers in the US, taking years off intermittently and just being a chore to follow. The books were anthologies and the good stuff was usually lost in a sea of average to crap stories.

Fantagraphics has been doing a good job of raising American awareness of Barks and Rosa, though.
>>
>>78927482

Rosa is one of those cases where the World's Number One Fan of something got to actually work on that something.

Miraculously his work is great, but he's also a FAN, so he can be very passionate and particular. His headcanons can be really nuts, but actually talking to him he's a great guy.
>>
>>78926720
What if Scottish Jew?
>>
The Norwegian version didn't have him speaking any specific accent, I believe. All of the characters (except the Beagle Boys) spoke regular East Norwegian, which is mostly considered the "official" version of Norwegian.
>>
>>78924744
>>78925203
>>78926720
>>78928284

It's mainly a cultural difference.

Jews notoriously have no sense of humor about themselves (but are famous for making fun of other people).

Scots are pretty chill and can make fun of themselves with the best of them.

As a result, the world can get away with trashing Scots based on stereotypes about greed, whereas the Anti Defamation League will financially destroy anybody who calls Jews greedy (which sort of just proves the stereotype true, but don't tell them I said that).
>>
File: Mel-Brooks.png (385KB, 636x510px) Image search: [Google]
Mel-Brooks.png
385KB, 636x510px
>>78928508
>Jews notoriously have no sense of humor about themselves
Nigga what? Nobody takes the piss out of Jews like Jews. Perhaps you're confusing them with Israelis?
>>
>>78928475
Yeah, i think Scrooge (Skrue) Even spoke a little bit clearer than the triplets

In norwegian dubs very few characters are actually given an accent, though Dexter and Grim kept their german and Jamaican accents
also, french characters usually still speak weird, but i can't name anyone now
>>
>>78917513
There's a difference between an in-universe reason and the reason the author gives to inform the character.
>>
>>78928591

I think he meant that the attitude among Jews is

>No one can make fun of the Jews except the Jews.

Which is true. They'll make fun of themselves, but if a goyim pokes fun at them then it's lawsuit time.
>>
>>78928475
>All of the characters (except the Beagle Boys) spoke regular East Norwegian

What accent did the Beagle Boys have?
>>
>>78928508
>Jews notoriously have no sense of humor about themselves (but are famous for making fun of other people).

Nigger the fucking phrase is "self deprecating jew" for a reason
>>
>>78927482
It breaks my fucking heart to think about how many people love Rosa's work, and yet he got paid a pittance.

He's going goddamn blind and cant afford to pay not to lose his sight. Its a travesty.
>>
>>78930334
Not him, but i think they just spoke with a lot of slang, like "ække/er ikke=Ain't/Is not"
>>
>>78907584
Not too long ago i sent Rosa an email saying i, as well as many other fans would be thrilled if he would write a novel
He doesn't reply to fanmails, but he does read them and i thought i'd let you guys know in case you'd want to contact him too, so he might see there's not just one guy asking for this
donrosaATiglouDOTcom
>>
>>78931818
>>78932589
I'd love him to do something creator owned so that he can profit from it, but I get the impression he's a lot more comfortable working with properties and characters that already exist. I can sympathise, I write fanfics people seem to enjoy but I can't for the life of me come up with anything original without realizing it's derivative of something else.
>>
Did you say goodnight to the sweet prince?
>>
>>78935122

Sad the actor died, but Dijon was annoying as fuck, both in the show and the movie.
>>
>>78926403
I met him at a con last year. Nice, but ultimately odd dude. He had his anti-DuckTales propaganda posted, which baffles me. DuckTales is a wonderful adaptation of the franchise and is singlehandedly responsible for pretty much every non-European duck fan of the last thirty years.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.