[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm interested in how people on /co/ go about obtaining

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 3

I'm interested in how people on /co/ go about obtaining their comics.

Do you buy physical issues at your local comic shop?
Do you buy them online for your tablet/computer individually or use subscription services?
Pirate them?

Just curious.
>>
>>78601671
Pirate and buy trades in book stores or online or occasionally my LCS.
>>
I either download, or wait for them to come on sale/Marvel Unlimited. With the high USD comics cost over 7AUD just for a digital copy.
>>
LCS mostly. The owner is pretty good to me and sometimes offers me a good deal. I'll also occasionally buy a trade or hardcover online.
>>
Everything else - Download via piracy
Hellboy, Empowered - buy TPB
>>
>>78601671

I buy physical issues for smaller titles that I really like (Omega Men, Prez, Vision) and I buy a trade a week. I also pirate literally every new release from the win o each week and have done for years
>>
Most stuff I get online, maybe once every few months I'll swing by the LCS to get Adventure Time comics
>>
Comic shops, second hand book stores, festivals, online stores and pirate.
>>
>>78601671
I trade wait
>>
>>78601685
Pretty much this.
>>
>>78601671
Lately from /co/ story times, if I like it I buy a physical copy (mind mgmt for ex)
I mainly buy TPBs hardcovers and omnibuses.
Try to get from a LCS first, but sometimes Amazon has deal adeal too good to pass up. Or I'll check out craigslist or ebay,

Don't really buy floppies anymore. The cost is too much on a month to month basis.
>>
>>78601671
I go outside and walk to my comic store that I am a manager of.

>tfw i get a copy of the newest comics a week early
>>
I have a pull list with LCS, discount plus bag and board; if I'm iffy: I'll either trade wait or read the story time. Occasionally, I'll buy random copies in stores or Amazon
>>
>>78601671
Go to my LCS for new/current stuff that's worth paying for.
Get back issues online or pirated.
>>
since i've moved to a small apartment i've pretty much used the comixology app for everything. It's not the same as having a nice physical book but I don't have the space. I'll also occasionally buy a trade if I can find good prices.
>>
>>78601671
I buy as much as I can (about 50 pounds/month) in both trades and floppies.

There's a nice lcs in Notting Hill gate that I like to visit, I even go without having the intention to buy, just to browse and have a chat

I read a lot in my tablet too, but I look to buy the comic if I like it.
I don't like pirating comics, but the industry has squeezed the reader so much, it's impossible to be a fan without spending a fuckton of money.
>>
>>78601671
Pirate them mostly, once in a blue moon I'll buy physical copies at a LCS or a generic bookstore.
>>
I was buying All New Marvel floppies but 7 issues in to Amazing Spider-man and I got sick of Slott.
Now I pirate issues to see if I like them, then buy trades/omnibuses of stuff that interest me.
>>
>>78603053
I visit my LCS occasionally but they mark up their prices since there isn't a whole lot of competition in suburban Sydney. It's cheaper for me to travel in to the city and buy from Kinokuniya.
>>
My town has two LCS so I stick with what I consider the better one and buy my Floppies from them unless they sell out.
I buy trades from both stores. I try and avoid buying things online because shipping to where I live is expensive and things take a very long time to arrive.
>>
>>78601671
I do mostly trades now since my LCS has great deals for them. Individual comics I usually only get new #1s to see if I like the series and should get the trade later.
>>
For new material:

I'm generally able to tell if I like something or not through previews. Afterwards, I'm content to trade wait so I can take in the full story.

I rarely purchase singles. I generally only buy a single if the issue is exceptional and hits me in a certain way.

I rarely pirate. I generally only pirate material I'm on the fence about and try and sell me. It doesn't work often, but it's changed my mind on a couple purchases.

I don't do digital purchases.
>>
>>78601671
I buy events or miniseries that I want to own in floppies. Mostly pirated though.
>>
>>78601671
Amazon
>>
>>78604704
>I buy events
Why would you freely admit to all the world that you're a total idiot?
>>
>>78601671
Mostly LCS, buy floppies much more often than trades, piracy if i cant make it to my LCS on release
>>
90% pirate single issues since I have a budget of $20-40 a month to spend on comics
And read prolly around 50+ different new comics a month.
So I'm mostly spend where I can
Keep up with the rest.
>>
>>78601671
I buy DC and pirate Marvel
>>
File: n2k6dw3mWg1tth9xxo1_1280.jpg (333KB, 793x1057px) Image search: [Google]
n2k6dw3mWg1tth9xxo1_1280.jpg
333KB, 793x1057px
I purchase singles or trades through online comics retailers -- 35% off the cover price and free shipping, can't beat that. I wait and bundle my stuff to be shipped in a bundle (pic related); so I just sit back and wait every four or five weeks for box to arrive with a bunch of cool stuff.

I have a good amount of disposable income I dedicate to reading materials each month (comics, fiction, &c.), but this still saves me a ton of cash. I also attend flea markets and used book stores for the occasional oldies but goodies.

In 2015, I purchased more trades than usual, because 1) most of the good titles are coming from Image, which means that 2) most of those titles are on unreliable production schedules.
>>
In Patris we dont have a lot comic shop ;( so go Amazon
>>
Does it still count as an LCS if there's like 10 of them around the area?
>>
>>78601671

Pirate exclusively.

Last comic I bought was in... 1997, the JLA (v3) relaunch and Thunderbolts caught my eye. Wandered off within a year, would still read from Barnes & Nobel, along with some Usenet piracy, then napster, then torrents.

But don't feel bad, you have your physical copy sitting on your shelf, a collection to show off. All I have is a 22TB indexed file server giving me easy, quick access to the books from anywhere I have a network connection.
>>
>>78605610
Where do you buy from?
>>
>>78605791
G-Mart. Website is basic and unappealing, point noted. But that's all I need.

I can authorize shipment on any batch that's come in or I can option to wait until the stock reaches a certain total price point and have them shipped (at which point, it's free).

I'll pick off comics from TFAW and My Comics Shop if I'm hunting for back issues. MCS hasn't let me down yet.
>>
I buy trades online, because I don't like floppies and the LCS does'nt really have any older trades, and mostly just has floppies and Magik The Gathering shit everywhere. Used to read all the New 52 stuff on a site called Xcomix.tk that got shut down.
>>
I buy trades online and floppies at my LCS
>>
>>78601671
Buy trades online
>>
buump
>>
so /co/ whats the difference between reading a #1 in a comic store, and pirating it + deleting after the read?

there isn't any difference
>>
I only buy physical issues for poor selling titles. Digital for some small titles and some mid-selling titles. Buy trades from online, bookstores, or my LCS. Pirate just about everything else.
>>
I buy physical volumes only. Either from Amazon, local comic stores, or when there is a comic con.

But lately comic stores are getting polluted with those mangos and animus.
>>
>>78601671
Marvel Unlimited/tablet
Hardcover reprints.
I no longer Pirate.
>>
>>78601671
I pirate stuff then buy TP's If I like it, off instocktrades.

I probably won't ever buy floppies or single issues. Floppies just take up too much space and have ads.
>>
No piracy or digital copies - all physical.

Floppies and TPBs from my LCS.

I'm a firm believer that printed media is not dead.
>>
Any ongoing I like I buy from Midtown.
I buy omnibi/deluxe editions/absolutes from Instrocktrades or other sites.
Pirate anything else I can't find.
>>
Pirate weeklies and the shit that the big 2 REFUSES to reprint

Buy trades for everything else from Amazon. I'd support the LCS but charging cover price for trades is fucking absurd when they're regularly 40% - 50% less on Amazon.
>>
>>78606122

I don't know if you're in a country where it makes less sense to do, but I just wanted to recommend DCBS. They do 40-50% off on a lot of stuff (still 35% on others). It's flat-rate shipping so I just pay 6.95 per monthly box. Only downside is you can't do the authorization of shipment thing.

Just figured I'd suggest it in case you order enough that the little bit you spend on shipping would be offset by the extra discount.
>>
>local comic shop

/co/ hates that places because physicsl stores are for Sheldon Cooper cosplayers.

Amazon & Bookdepository exist, you dont need local stores
>>
>>78601671
I buy used trades on amazon. Getting a Hellboy volume for $6.50 shipped is a good way to collect. Very rarely do I buy new books. The last one I got new was the He-Man mini comic collection.
>>
>>78612034
g-mart is an online retailer out of Illinois i think
>>
Amazon. Or pirate. generally I pirate, read and order on Amazon if I like it enough to want to have it.

Also, Amazon because that way I can indulge in my introvert nature and keep my human interactions to nice chit chat with the delivery guy for two seconds. No need to walk in the streets and spend time in the shop.

I used to try to go to shops to get to know people since I was new in town, but guys are annoying know it alls, and it feels like being a creep if I talk to a girl. Even more so if I find her cute.
>>
I buy a copy of Jughead digest every month at the grocery store. Other than that I interview people who make zines and they send me promo copies. Then I download manga.
>>
Floppies: LCS
Trades: various online retailers or actual bookstores if the membership discount + coupon is as good as online deals
digital: win-o, /co/ storytimes
>>
I torrent, trade wait and buy trades and omni's off Amazon or Instocktrades.
>>
Where do you pirate your comics? I use torrents (kat.ph to be specific) but I've been wondering if is there any better way than that?
>>
No LCS in my city so I just buy trades from the internet. Sometimes I buy digital issues for struggling comics, but I'm not sure if it counts much.
>>
>>78612067
>supporting the electronic jew
>>
I started by only reading library trades, then got really into Hellboy and Dark Horse Star Wars and started tradewaiting them. Then I started tradewaiting other publishers too, then last year I started pirating and then buying the trades if I liked them. Recently, I actually started buying floppies for only the stuff I REALLY liked. Tom King, mignolaverse, stuff like that.

As to how I get trades, I either preorder at my lcs or just go in the day it's released if it's a popular one I know will have lots of copies. If they sell out or don't order it, I just go to a different lcs. If they don't have it, then I amazon. Supporting local business is always first. I also try to look for tpbs at used bookstores, but that's less successful.
>>
>>78613363
Obviously the Hydra thread.
>>
>>78601671
Torrents and the win-o thread. I go into local shops every now and then to pick up some actual copies of things I like.
>>
>>78601671
I got a story about going to my local comic shop
>On way to movies with GF
>She's colombian and has big boobs
>8/10
>Comic shop is on the way so we stop buy quick
>tell her I'll be in and out since I know what I want to get
>She wants to come in. Never been to a comic shop
>We walk and the guy at the counter is looking at her
>He's legit wearing a fedora and fingerless gloves
>Just watches us the entire time
>Grab my issue really quick
>Godzilla: Rulers of Earth
>Notice alternative cover for same issue
>Would like both but only have enough for one
>Gf offers to buy me both if I get popcorn and soda
>agree
>we get to counter and she hands the clerk the comics
>"Just these please"
>Oh no it's on the house m'lady
>Try not to laugh
>"Oh really? Thank you" she says
>He tilts his hat
>Of course
>We walk out and get into the car
>She looks at me and says she will never go in to one again and how disgusting that guy was
>Made me lol
>>
>>78601671
I buy tpbs on the internets. I don't buy floppies
>>
>>78601671
A and C
C first, usually, then A if it's any good.
Sometimes I feel like splurging on some random shit and buy a bunch of issues/trades at once, because of random/illogical/"I love this cover" reasons, but 99% of the time I read stuff online and then buy the trades to support if it's any good.
I also don't read a lot of comics in general, but when I do that's how it goes down.
>>
>>78621123
is your car a lambo
>>
Just floppies at my LCS.
>>
>>78601671
Buying them is rough because the guys who sell them tend to wayyy overcharge. The online stores are now putting 90s issues over a dollar.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.