[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you ever think about the way American comics are perceived

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 23

File: 01004648350.jpg (136KB, 450x587px) Image search: [Google]
01004648350.jpg
136KB, 450x587px
Do you ever think about the way American comics are perceived around the world? What gets chosen to be translated and published? Who reads them?
>>
>Who reads them?

Westaboos.
>>
>>78254188
Traditional comic books like DC and Marvel's monthly stuff don't really get published outside of North America. You'll get shorter stories like Killing Joke or Kingdom Come, but they are pretty niche too. Though the characters are well known, they aren't known for their comic adventures as much as their animated or cinematic adventures.
>>
I find it interesting to see what other countries like. I believe Japan was in love with Spawn for awhile
>>
I'm from Croatia. Here we're mostly used to Bonelli's format of monthly comics which have 99 pages, so even when a publishing house finally decided to try publishing Marvel(They picked Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate X-Men), what they did was, they were so embarassed to try to sell a comic with only 20 pages they actually glued the first issues of UXM and USM together, so the book has no back cover but two front covers and you flip it over to get to the other story.
>>
>>78255043
A person living outside of North America, namely Czech Republic.

You are fool of shit.
>>
Here in Brazil is in mixes, monthly magazines with good titles, bad titles and such, some of them get printed in hardcover or not.

For example:

Superman #14, Superboy #14, Supergirl #14, Superman Unchained #2.

The readers ask reprints too, watchmen, dark knight and this shit.

How do we see? Most readers are worse than muricas, they would get anything with bat in the title and alway glorifies 80's and such.
>>
>saitama and genos
Is ONE a westaboo?
I had my suspicions, but I was never sure.
>>
>>78255267
that one is murata and he already draw heros before.
>>
>>78255227
>always glorifies 80's and such
Nothing wrong with that, ton of great comics from that decade
>>
>>78254188
You do realize that about 40% of /co/ aren't Americans?
>>
>>78255214
I was talking more about stuff like what >>78255180 was saying. You don't really get the short monthly stories. When they are actually published they are usually spliced together to form a bulk buy where you get multiple stories at once.
And american comics are niche as fuck dude, don't try and hide it. Reading comics as a medium, beside they Disney branded stuff, is niche enough to begin with, let alone the Superhero genre.
>>
>>78255308
most of the readership is old man, with the movies, lots of new readers are there, and the old man of the past says what is good and what is not, mostly.

Also, this is the hitlist of the month:

http://www.universohq.com/checklist/checklist-de-novembro-de-2015/
>>
>>78255227
see we get vertigo here but absolutely no capeshit DC. never been a superman or batman comic in single issue, but marvel was everywhere for a while
>>
>>78255408
You are a moron who does not see how big and diverse the world is.

> You don't really get the short monthly stories
What short monthly series? This shit is rare as fuck in North American comics, the norm is writing for an arc to bound it into a graphic book.

And graphic books of even ongoing US series get regularly published here and you can see them on the shelves of the most mainstream bookstores. We even have a couple of specialized comic shops in Prague.

YOU ARE FULL OF SHIT and 100% WRONG
>>
>>78255457
what the fuck are you talking about? We have even weekly comic like the US, Batman Eternal, most of them are hard to find out of São Paulo and such.
>>
>>78255115
I distinctly remember reading Trigun, and the mangaka went on a bit at the end of the first volume about how cool Spawn's toy was.
>>
>>78255408
>don't really get the short monthly stories

eh? The fuck are you talking about?

You can buy The Walking Dead books at any place in EU.
>>
>>78255497
that's what he's saying, jesus. you can buy trades, not single issues.
>>
>>78255571
>that's what he's saying

No, it is not.

In an ordinary North American trade you get a cohesive arc with, not a couple of short stories.

And you buy EXACTLY the same shit only translated. I do not recall the graphic book of Scalped being "multiple stories at once" and I dare you to name several mainstream North American series that is about multiple short stories
>>
We used to have Ultimate X-Men and Spider-Man sold as single issues in Russia, I still have some from 2003. Don't know which series come out as single issues nowadays apart from our own ones.
But we have a shit load of trades translated.
>>
>>78255571
Since when is a trade about "multiple short stories"?
>>
>>78255214
>Czech Republic
>slav
>person
Kek Republic
>>
>>78255408
Maybe in Croatia and wherever the fuck you live, but we get normal trades.
>>
>>78255673
>>78255673
Here m8

http://ovicio.com.br/veja-lista-completa-da-colecao-salvat-os-herois-mais-poderosos-da-marvel/
>>
>>78255673
okay, iget what you're saying. those are still bulk issues man, they're not 20 pages long.
>>
>>78254188
>thinking about lesser countries

But why?
>>
>>78255180
We have a similar thing here in Hueland, the Brazilian publishing arm of Marvel and DC here glue comics of the same general interest into a single magazine (for exemple, in America there was a Hal Jordan Green Latern book and Kyle Rayner book, here they glued the two and added a Animal Man book on top of that and just named it Green Lantern). Same deal with Vertigo, but it think Wildstorm was different. We are pretty ok when it comes to trades and people seem to prefere that, those softcover Marvel trades for events they sold a while back are huge here, since people like to mostly buy stuff in bookstores and there are no specialized retailers.
>>
File: spidey.jpg (44KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
spidey.jpg
44KB, 600x450px
>>78255884
>green lantern

is he popular there? i don't think we've even really had Gl trades here, mostly batman and events.
We've got spider-man though. Bitches and Croats love spider-man, it's the only comic that ever actually had variant covers
>>
As others have said, internationally they compile floppies from various related books into set volumes
>>
I have to say, I am loving the broken english here.
>>
>>78255760
Here is local database
http://www.comicsdb.cz/

what you link to is this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Official_Marvel_Graphic_Novel_Collection

Hachette puts this out throughout the Europe and it is sold mostly in Newsstands Quite a big hit, downside is that local publishers stopped buying licenses to Marvel contemporary stuff
>>
>>78255928
>i don't think we've even really had Gl trades
Neither has the rest of the world, unless you're looking for Geoff Johns shit.
>>
>>78255978
Here in brazil we also have this collection, we call that one "black cover" who are different from the "red cover" that are lots of storys for the character and not a single arc.
>>
>>78255518
Nightow and McFarlane fell off the same tree; McFarlane's toy line produced some Trigun figures, before Nightow became the Revoltech guy in Japan.
>>
>>78256014
In my country we only get the graphic novels or compilations of the whole runs of different series. While we eventually get the single issues of every week, month or whatever, the only way to get them the same they that they are released on USA is to order them.

Then again there is only one chain of stores that handle them here, other stores buy them online or something and then resell them. Most people ṕirate them or buy stuff online.
>>
File: HB_BP_1.jpg (105KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
HB_BP_1.jpg
105KB, 450x600px
We don't translate trades, we just buy them from the US and then slap an exorbitant price on it to make a profit, but the serbs do their own translating. What's interesting about them is their retarded rule of ignoring american spelling in favor of the pronounciantion. So John becomes Džon and Constantine becomes Konstantin. This is why lots of them have trouble spelling in english, they never get to visually see it except in school
>>
>>78256104
that is not retarded, that is how you do it when you respect your native tongue and readers who do not speak English.

Why do you call this retarded by you do not mind when you do this to Japs Language.?
>>
>>78256104
At least the Hellblazer didn't get translated to something like Helblejzer, or even worse, a literal translation of it.
>>
>>78255043
What are you talking about?
That's total bullshit. In Germany we get the monthly books, too. DC, Marvel, Image, etc. Then it gets collected in trades. Same as USA.
>>
>>78256139
I'm not sure I follow. There's nothing wrong in translating a comic, but it's ridiculous to spell New York for example as Nju Jork, come on. Names should stay true to their original forms
>>
>>78256216
>it's ridiculous to spell New York for example as Nju Jork, come on.

But that is exactly how Americans do it with other languages...

And no, the translation is meant to communicate to its reader the fullest experience. To someone who does not speak English, Nju Jork is better than New York.
>>
File: RCM1_26012003.jpg (49KB, 272x400px) Image search: [Google]
RCM1_26012003.jpg
49KB, 272x400px
>>78254188
French here.
>What gets chosen to be translated and published?
What's most popular, unsurprisingly. Although I'm guessing a whole lot is translated compared to other countries, since we consume the comic media like motherfuckers and we're shit at English.
>Who reads them?
Dorks and dweebs. While Franco-Belgian comics and to a lesser degree manga are seen as somewhat socially acceptable, Cape comics (which comprise most of our experience of American comics) are seen as childish.
As a librarian I tried to get my boss to buy just a couple of cape comics, because, you know, some teen dorks and dweeebs who come to the library would probably like them, but it was a hard no. The main excuse being that they're never-ending series (which comes at a cost), but even self-contained stories with critical acclaim didn't raise any interest.

>>78255043
In France, when I was a kid, we did get regular monthly stuff except usually in a Shonen Jump of sorts, which were sold in those newspaper/tobacco stores we have here. Right now I wouldn't know, my LCS imports shit in English, since it's just a niche market, and bookstores tend to mostly sell self-contained stories like those you mentionned.
>>
>>78256271
>But that is exactly how Americans do it with other languages...
Not him but no we don't. Your broken English and ellipses amuse btw, Europoor.
>>
>>78256303
Japanese language is almost always written down with English pronunciation in mind.
>>
>>78256271
>>78256303
He has a point, you do(russian names for example where you use "ch" instead of č or "i" where "j" should be, and of course Z for Ž which you don't have) and it's equally annoying. But they're americans, they won't bother learing other cultures. That doesn't mean we have to act the same way
>>
>>78255115
Batman and Spiderman get a lot of love over there too.
Spidey has had like, three or four different Manga.

I know there's one guy who's a teacher that likes to use Comics to teach his students english.
>>
>>78256363
>>78256401
Yes these are true but it's because we are unfamiliar with the actual letters/symbols themselves. But we wouldn't change how a word is spelled from someplace where letters are almost the same. Regardless you are correct in saying you don't have to follow everyone else's mistakes for when we do fuck up. Also this really shouldn't be anything other than a pet peeve.
>>
File: spider3dev.jpg (19KB, 620x446px) Image search: [Google]
spider3dev.jpg
19KB, 620x446px
>>78256480
Every fucking body loves Spidey. For some reason he seems to be the most popular cape outisde of the US (from my perspective anyway).
>>
>>78256543
>La Nouvelle Orléans
>Nawlins
>>
>>78255675
Yeah, I think we only have kid-oriented series come out as single issues nowadays, like TMNT and Adventure Time. Well, that and our own comic book series.
Trades just proved to be more popular. We're used to hardcovers.
>>
>>78256619
What? That's not a case of changing it in media though. That's literally what we call it and it has nothing to do with comic books.
>>
The oddest thing for us foreigners is the hype.
It's pretty much never proportioned to the product.

"HEY REMEMBER THIS OLD CARTOON FROM THE 80S"?

"...No actually that barely even came out to this country. 6 people knew it existed"

"...WELL, IT'S BACK!"

And then stores and Happy meals are filled with toys and merchandise of this shit.
It feels awful, literally being spoonfed fads by capitalism.

Every once in a blue moon some advertising campaign comes up that ACTUALLY speaks to us, for something we ACTUALLY cared about, but it always feels like an amazing coincidence.

Whatever Americans like get sequel after sequel after reboot after spinoff.

Even if something is a huge success here it MAYBE gets revived.

You can sort of explain why something is successful or not in the USA, and you get tons of reviewers complaining or pointing out the issues. Outside of your borders everything is led by random chance and whatever Americans like at the time.

For the new Star Wars they changed the names of the characters, so if you marathon them all, Darth Vader changes name halfway through.

It feels like nobody cares.

We treat American media like it's foreign bullshit shamefully spoonfed to our children, and American media treats us like we're some kind of weird afterthought.

our translators don't care and apparently no Americans care to find better ones.
It's a vicious cycle of disdain and superiority complexes.

Street Sharks were on air for 10 years straight on public television, Ninja Turtles were only for people with cable TV, and no DVD ever came out, and then everyone is baffled by how much we care for the first more than the latter.

GEE I WONDER WHY?

Everything is always a surprise, a fluke, a coincidence, pop culture is entirely led by random chance.
What will come tu us? What won't? Will we get amateurs with a weird accent to translate it, like Mortal Kombat and Half Life 2? A mystery! Everything is a mystery!
>>
>>78256581
How can you not love spidey, he does whatever a spider can!
>>78256543
True. It's not a big deal, I'm just personally always in favor of staying as true to the source as possible.(But fucking frenchies man, their ortography is enough to almost make me say fuck this shit)
>>
>>78256276
>While Franco-Belgian comics and to a lesser degree manga are seen as somewhat socially acceptable
im so jelly french comics are so awesome, why no one storytimed the last man is something i will never understand
but good for you french anon, you have good shit all around you
>>
>>78256687
It was a joke.
>>
>>78256781
My bad.
>>
>>78256701
So where you from?
Because in France it feels like we got about 80% of America's stuff for various lenghts of time, and the most popular stuff was mostly the same there and here (Simpsons, TMNT, BTAS, Spidey:TAS). Only CN and later stuff (basically once cable became a thing in the late 90s) get divisive, plenty of kids from my time never got to watch Dexter's laboratory.
>>
>>78256760
It was weird growing up being literally the only kid I knew who was into cape comics, since there's such a variety of French comics, and we were invaded by manga and anime as early as the 70s. Actually mostly the manga part.

>>78256816
No problem, it wasn't funny.
>>
>>78256983
same here except everyone was into Zagor and Tex.
I kinda wish the movies didn't make them popular though, being the superhero encyclopedia for my friends is becoming a chore.

>watch JJ with girlfriend
>so what are her powers?
>who's this guy?
>what does this guy do?
>does he kill this characteer?!

i'm like "fucks sake biatch watch the dan show!"(no i'm not).
>>
In Brazil capecomics get a lot of USAboos, wishing we'd be back on a military dictatorship because that was backed up by the CIA.

>>78255991
Brazil gets pretty much all trades.

>>78255928
Somewhat. Panini Comics ends up printing everything to come out of Marvel and DC, but with lesser titles they might wait for 15 issues to pile up and do a pseudo omni.
>>
File: 1413467508007.jpg (3KB, 132x51px) Image search: [Google]
1413467508007.jpg
3KB, 132x51px
>>78257199
I-I guess not having a girlfriend has its perks, ha, haha.
>>
>>78257299
umm...sure anon. you have all that...extra free time...no one bothers you...save a ton when going out. you're better off
>>
Here is Australia we really only get trades, and a few dedicated nerd stores will have single issues, but they will always be the most recent ones or rares. 90% of what we get is capeshit, but it is usually the more high quality stuff (Fraction's Hawkeye/Nu52 WW and the like) that sells here, as people just pirate crap and buy what they liked the most. The prices here are higher than the US, trades cost about $24 at the lowest I have seen. I mostly buy stuff online though.

>>78256276
I wish more Franco-Belgian comics were available here. French comics have such a perfect balance between the common themes in manga and capeshit, I love it.
>>
>>78257488
As a comedyfag, I feel like mixing comedy and adventure/action is where the real strenght of Franco-Belgian comics is (well, used to be) compared to American comics.
Our cartoons aren't funny though.
>>
Man /co/ has a lot of users who don't what the fuck they are talking about. Like this guy >>78255043
>>
>>78256619
You realize that that's a quirk in diction/accent rather than how people spell it, right?
>>
everyone hates Americans outside America

no one gives a shit about your immature capeshit comics
>>
Do the covers ever get new artwork? What does the font in the word bubbles look like?
>>
File: Buraiden Gai v4 136.png (224KB, 822x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Buraiden Gai v4 136.png
224KB, 822x1200px
>>78258673
Nope, to much work, the font I dont know but is the same for manga here (Brazil) and there (US).

>>78258324
I am thinking about droping some of the titles I read because of this, it never evolves. Even Ms. Marvel who isnt bad but some rehash spider-man for the new readers, is just okay, nothing groundbreaking like some 70's manga like Devilman and Ryuu no Michi.

Even the most aclaimed ones like Sandman and Miracleman just feel kinda artificial. Americans seems to not put feeling in the narrative, emotional sides of characters and this shit.

Think about Batman, think about Bruce Wayne, he is not an interesting character, there is nothing that makes his drive unless its about Justice, who the only character who gets somewhat is Punisher, He is the demon that enforces justice in the most crude way and he is tied for that forever, until he dies.
>>
File: DSCN8882 - Copy2.jpg (144KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8882 - Copy2.jpg
144KB, 800x600px
Can't be worse than how Japan perceives foreign music.
>>
>>78259024
What about this tells you they don't like Reggae?
I bet you're the type who also thinks this is meant to be offensive
https://youtu.be/LfX8pOiuWFc
>>
>>78258995
Meu deus, BR é tudo plebeu mesmo, deve ser um daqueles favelados gordinhos do anime friends, louco por um Death Note. Eu te garanto que vi mais animes e li mais mangas que você, e a qualidade média das narrativas, tanto de atuais quanto grandes classicos, não se compara, japoneses todos tem autismo e exageram muito,mas talvez você tambem tenha autismo...
>>
File: Copy of DSC00366 - Copy.jpg (86KB, 600x401px) Image search: [Google]
Copy of DSC00366 - Copy.jpg
86KB, 600x401px
I remember some stores just had all animation grouped together when I was over there.
>>
>>78257488
>Here is Australia we really only get trades
This, in Flipland. In its latgest bookstore chain popular Image Comics dominate, and in speciality stores DC dominates. I think pre-Marvel NOW! trades are commonplace among the Marvel stuff sold there.
>>
>>78259066
Yes. Because Will Smith, Janet Jackson, and Boys 2 Men are all Reggae artists I love.

Let's not excuse Japan's ignorance, no matter how innocent or kindly it may be.
>>
>>78259185
Oh and I found a whole display of these Sambo dolls alongside Moomin, Mickey Mouse, and Wallace and Gromit.
>>
>>78259185
Like I'd fucking recognize 90s album covers. Oh yeah there's Big Willie Style.

There's nothing to excuse, the music made by black people isn't shown to be perceived as being bad like you implied.

It's grouped together in some store in the late 90s, big fucking whoop.
>>
>>78255043
You don't know what you're talking about.

Popular monthlies gets translated, but even untranslated comics that are imported directly find a broad audience here. Don't forget, English is a lingua franca, and with stores overnight shipping, most everybody can read their comics on Day One.
>>
>>78259239
Well? It's probably some character, not just a random black person plush.
>>
File: DSC00340 - Copy.jpg (148KB, 600x401px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00340 - Copy.jpg
148KB, 600x401px
This is anime.
This is anime.
Anime anime anime.
>>
>>78259287
It is a character. From an old racist as fuck British kids novel from the end of the 1800s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_Little_Black_Sambo
>>
>>78259248
I'm saying that saying "they all look / sound the same" is a problem. Kinda ironic considering what some Americans say about Japanese people.
>>
File: DSC00369 - Copy.jpg (112KB, 600x402px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00369 - Copy.jpg
112KB, 600x402px
Of course Japan and J-pop stars like Jessica Rabbit. I wish I had grabbed this CD. Though it was kinda pricey even as a used copy.
>>
File: 1261000441775.jpg (8KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1261000441775.jpg
8KB, 300x300px
>>78259334
Well?

>Sambo is a South Indian boy who lives with his father and mother, named Black Jumbo and Black Mumbo, respectively. While out walking, Sambo encounters four hungry tigers, and surrenders his colourful new clothes, shoes, and umbrella so they will not eat him. The tigers are vain and each thinks he is better dressed than the others. They chase each other around a tree until they are reduced to a pool of melted butter. Sambo then recovers his clothes and collects the butter, which his mother uses to make pancakes.
Man, how fucking racist.
>>
>>78259239
Its another country man, just because something that could be considered racist in murica is there, in another country, another context it simply may not.
>>
File: DSC00363 - Copy.jpg (142KB, 401x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00363 - Copy.jpg
142KB, 401x600px
Of course South Park has a decent fanbase over there. Even a buncha anime has made references.
>>
>>78259352
I'm aware that the Japanese are very ignorant (and wilfully so) about how Americans think they should see race, but they don't harbour any animosity against black people.
>>
>>78259470
I have a black friend living over there as well another who was over there and... no. Hell, they're as bad as many American cities for stopping someone for driving while black. Though there it's for walking since not many people drive.

A Mexican friend said that he heard a guy with a loud speaker on his truck going around demanding that Japan purity itself and expel all the foreign blood.

Not to mention a bunch of politic shit around Okinawa. Plus that "white piggu go home" thing that sounds similar to what my friend heard.
>>
File: DSC00417 - Copy.jpg (124KB, 401x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00417 - Copy.jpg
124KB, 401x600px
Anyway... racial politics aside.. looking for more American cartoons in my photos.

I do have this strange cover for an American live action film.
>>
File: DSC00089 - Copy.jpg (219KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00089 - Copy.jpg
219KB, 600x600px
Maybe I should have grabbed some Japanese gaschapon of American character, but there were too many Japanese characters to get them of.
>>
>>78259601
>A Mexican friend said that he heard a guy with a loud speaker on his truck going around demanding that Japan purity itself and expel all the foreign blood.
I saw that once while visiting Japan, that said i've seen the equivalent of it in lots of countries I go to so it's really not that amazing.
>>
>>78259601
Man fuck, I thought racism wasn't dead but if the worst that happens in allegedly one of the most racist places on Earth is some wacko with a microphone yelling shit about muh pure blood, maybe I was wrong.
>>
>>78259601
>he heard a guy with a loud speaker on his truck going around demanding that Japan purity itself and expel all the foreign blood.

Heck, our leading presidential candidate is doing that right now!
>>
>namefag starts talking about some off topic shit
typical
>>
>>78259686
It probably wouldn't be that great either, you need to get them in China or something cause then they're bootleg as fuck.
>>
File: Kotobukiya lil Batman.jpg (143KB, 750x588px) Image search: [Google]
Kotobukiya lil Batman.jpg
143KB, 750x588px
>>78259879
>bootleg gachapon

Depends. Some of them are officially Licensed.
>>
>>78260257
I have a few of those. I got all the ones I wanted except Catwoman
>>
>>78256090
...are you from Austria?
>>
File: Spiderman the Manga 02-28-29.jpg (609KB, 1953x1491px) Image search: [Google]
Spiderman the Manga 02-28-29.jpg
609KB, 1953x1491px
Spider-man got his own manga.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_The_Manga
>>
>>78263500
As do Batman. That manga got an official English translation as "The Jiro Kuwata Batmanga."

That Spider-Man manga artist went on to do Crying Freeman.

POTTERY:
>Kuwata is the co-creator of 8 Man with Hirai, who wrote the final issues of the Spider-Man manga
>>
>>78255115
I was just in Japan, I found some Walking Dead there, I can't remember what else. There wasn't that big of a section for American comics, either that or I just couldn't find them since I can't read Japanese.
>>
Mexifag here. We get a lot of DC, Vertigo and Marvel, and some of IDW, Dark Horse and Valiant.

With DC, in some cases we get floppies with 2 comics on it, for example, Superman and Action Comics, or Batman and Detective Comics.

The most popular character is fucking Batman. Literally anything from him get sold-out, especially overrated stories like TDKR, or the edition of DOTF with the Joker's mask. Batman Noel was recently published and now I can´t find in stock.

I think Spiderman comes next in popularity, but it's not remotely as big as Batman.

We are getting a lot of manga, too, mostly thanks to Panini. Now I can fucking finally have One Piece and Berserk in my shelf.
>>
File: aykwamayn.jpg (12KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
aykwamayn.jpg
12KB, 318x159px
Did Aquaman ever get anything outside of America?
>>
>>78263964
He might get published in one of those Justice League collections but i don't think he would get his own trade
>>
>>78254188
>that slip on cover
Be honest /co/, would you read an American adaptation of one punch man?
If they made fun of all the stupid capeshit cliches and hyper crossovers it would be hilarious.
>>
>>78263734
does mexico like bane? the comic version i mean?
>>78263964
all i remember from aquaman was back when smallville was airing they aired the strangest pilot episode of a tv show about him. and he was played by the same guy who plays green arrow on smallville. i think everyone in the country lost interest in aquaman after watching that
>>
>>78254188
There is clearly a division in France between the "good" and the "bad" american comics.
The other french anon told it like it is.

The U.S "graphic novels" are well perceived in France. Will Eisner was considered as a great artist very early thanks to Metal Hurlant and Moebius. He got some some beautiful releases under the Futuropolis label.
Indies are also well perceived and get published by major publishers : harvey pekar, crumb, etc, etc. I mean just look at the Angouleme festival's prizes.
When I was a kid, there was a French Dark Horse which published alien and hellboy. It was pretty dope and the translator was Martin Wickler, a famous writer. Jean Patrick Manchette, the best thriller french novelist, translated Watchmen.
>>
File: 11800010.jpg (34KB, 462x618px) Image search: [Google]
11800010.jpg
34KB, 462x618px
>>78263964
Yes
>>
>>78263964
>>
Japanese here. I think the main audience of American Comics are women of yaoi fandom. There are also normal cartoon fans exist but I believe the number is less.
Though the hollywood hero movies like avengers are popular in here, the comics are not so known for ordinary people.
Sorry for my shitty Engrish
>>
>>78266732
So you're saying that cape comics are gay as fuck
>>
In Italy, you got basically everything from Marvel (there even is a Marvel Italia, owned by Panin i believe) and a selection of DC and others.
>>
>>78257212
>In Brazil capecomics get a lot of USAboos, wishing we'd be back on a military dictatorship because that was backed up by the CIA.
>CIA backed comics importing
And people still say the dictatorship was bad.
>>
>>78263702
I know a friend who lives there said he had trouble keeping up with any store that sells them. He said one he went to in Tokyo moved to a more out of the way place for him.
>>
>>78266860
Well, we all knew that already.
>>
Poland. We have:

The Official Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (80th tome came out this wednesday)

New52:
Batman
Batman: Detective Comics
Batman: The Dark Knight
Superman
Wonder Woman
Shazam
All-Star Western
Talon
Justice League
Justice League of America
Forever Evil (came out last month)

Marvel Now:
All-New X-Men
Wolverine and the X-Men
Avengers
New Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Superior Spider-Man

Watchmen
Before Watchmen

Sin City

Sandman

League of the Extraorinary Gentlemen

Some random DC and Marvel stuff
Red Son
Batman Year One
Killing Joke
Joker
Luthor
Indentity Crisis
Hulk: Grey
Daredevil: Yellow

Different Star Wars comics
>>
>>78258995
>Even the most aclaimed ones like Sandman and Miracleman just feel kinda artificial.
That's cuz those titles have main characters that have Too Cool for School syndrome (in the case of Sandman) and More Symbol than Man syndrome.
Sandman's main characters is an "enlightned" entity that sees the world in a different way most mortals do, that's why he has a constant "too cool to be in this room and to bother talking to you" vibe to him, the drama comes with the one off characters that the stories center around. Kind of like every Constantine story.

>Eu te garanto que vi mais animes e li mais mangas que você, e a qualidade média das narrativas, tanto de atuais quanto grandes classicos, não se compara, japoneses todos tem autismo e exageram muito,mas talvez você tambem tenha autismo...
Se mata, filho.
A maioria dos "2deep4u" comics que existem tem quase a mesma politica Rage Against the Machine Post-Bush e a mesma obsessão por desconstrucionismo intediante. Pelo menos manga tem uma certa alma, uma personalidade que vem do fato de todos os personagens e plotpoints vem da mente do criador, e não um obsessão em criar a prôxima grande "Crise" ou "Evento", além da obsessão de fans-tornados-criadores em levar a historia na direção que suas mentes de fanboy querem, eu por isso que não existem quase nenhuma historia onde o Superman é uma pessoa boa mais, tudo é sempre come ele é "sozinho", "estranho" ou "ultrapassado como um coinceito de heroí".
>>
>>78254188
I went to a comic shop while i was in japan, it was ok. Most manga stores (at least the big ones) had a corner with american comics (DC, Marvel, Image/Saga, Walking dead)
>>
>>78255043
The fuck are you talking about m8

In Spain basically everything gets translated and even exported to other spanish-speaking countries.
>>
>>78266369
I never really imagined Aquaman in Profundezas' role but I guess he didn't do to badly.
>>
File: 4888141-6086453758-36979.jpg (210KB, 900x1366px) Image search: [Google]
4888141-6086453758-36979.jpg
210KB, 900x1366px
>>78266860
>>
>>78263552
I got to read that sometime.
Thread posts: 123
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.