[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Silver Surfer used to be popular >Silver Surfer used to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

File: SS01.jpg (34KB, 236x316px) Image search: [Google]
SS01.jpg
34KB, 236x316px
>Silver Surfer used to be popular
>Silver Surfer used to have an ongoing
>Silver Surfer used to have a cartoon
>Silver Surfer used to be the most popular Marvel solo hero after Spider-man
>>
Wow, rude.

Who hurt you?
>>
>>78025661
>Silver Surfer used to be the most popular Marvel solo hero after Spider-man

More popular than Hulk and Wolverine? I disagree.
>>
>>78025661

>The most popular Marvel solo hero after Spider-Man

What, seriously?
>>
>>78025694
>>78025701
Early 70s

Wolverine wasn't shit
>>
>>78025701
I'd say he was exaggerating there, but SS used to be hot shit for sure.
>>
What's he even doing nowadays?
>>
>>78025661
>used to have an ongoing
He still does.
>>
He has an ongoing

I'm trying to think who else could've challenged Spidey in the 70s
>>
>>78025730
I thought OP was talking about the 90s.
>>
>>78025769
Thing. That's not even a contest. Thing was absolutely Marvel's most popular character after Spider-man. There's a reason Marvel Team-up was a Thing team-up book.
>>
>>78025760
dating a girl thanks to Slott
>>
He has an ongoing right now, dumb OP.
>>
>>78025791
Norrin having female companions for his adventures isn't a new thing, anon. Slott is treating it like a new thing, but it isn't.
>>
If he's not in a movie right now, then casuals don't give a fuck.
>>
>>78025760
Playing Doctor Who
>>
>>78025661

Silver Surfer used to have grandeur instead of post-modernist tumblr dogshit.
>>
>>78025790
He had an ongoing too, his popularity made him equal to the Hulk in strength, now that idea is laughable
>>
>>78025661
I mean we live in a different age these days.

I work at my lcs and we have been selling mode Iron Man than spider man for awhile.
Who knew
>>
>>78025661
Wouldn't say he was 2nd to Spider-Man but he sure had a couple of years of really being popular
>>
File: image.jpg (128KB, 899x713px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128KB, 899x713px
>>78025661
>>
Alright /co/, so how would you fix the Silver Surfer? Or, rather, what does your ideal Surfer series look like?My dream is a a Grant Morrison/Frank Quitely series that gets meta as all tits
>>
>>78026164
>I work at my lcs and we have been selling mode Iron Man than spider man for awhile.
>Who knew
Liar
Ironman sells like dogshit for a solo hero, wait until the rub from the new #1 wears off, he'll be back to hovering around the 30k mark

>>78026227
Impossible, he's a reflection of his times, completely outdated
>>
>>78026264
>Impossible, he's a reflection of his times, completely outdated
I don't see how a character whose main desire is to explore the universe is outdated.
>>
>>78026164
Do you have a dollar bin of just Iron Man 1s yet?
>>
>>78026164
Jesus, can't you get a more respectable job? Like, drug dealer or prostitute?
>>
>>78026227
>Morrison
no
>>
>>78026474
I'm an EMT, comics is my easy day
>>
>>78026307
Lol no but we have lots of extras just from ordering for the variants, so it'll even out.

Doctor Strange however is bombing at our place
>>
>>78026264
Is numbers man.

We order more iron man than spiderman. They have the same number of copys after weds. Is math
>>
>>78025845
>post-modernist

lmao, care to explain?
>>
>>78025661
I do think he has more potential than given, though to be fair i got behind on slot surfer and was never sure how that turned out

Requiem is one of favorites tho
>>
>>78025780

He was popular thanks to the Fantastic Four being huge and he was part of their world. Kind of like how that's the Inhumans only real claim to popularity. He had a resurgence in the 90s somehow. It wasn't even just his cartoon but his was the only one besides Spidey Hulk and X-Men to do really good and Marvel bankruptcy killed it.
>>
>>78028755
>He had a resurgence in the 90s somehow
Lim's SS was pretty popular. I imagine that had something to do with it.

Also cosmic had a general resurgence in the early-90s thanks to Starlin's return.
>>
>>78028803

I forget sometimes that people used to actually read comics.
>>
>>78027808
Do not reply to the buzzwords.
>>
>>78025730
but Hulk already existed and he was far more popular than SS
>>
>>78025661
Lee's Surfer run was so fucking good. I hate that muh Surfer doesn't get more attention now.
>>
>>78025661
Not sure about that second most popular ongoing.

From what I have seen SS has had a lot of regular series that only made it to about issue 60-70 or so before cancellation. Going back to the 60's he has had at least 4 or so ongoings that all died.

Like Namor he is a fairly popular second tier Marvel character that does well in team ups and backgrounds of events but solo series always get really boring.
>>
>>78026227
Surfer moping and being feared, hated and mistrusted for trying to help strangers
>>
>>78025661
Silver Surfer was never that popular.

He was Stan Lee's pet character and Lee was constantly pushing him, but his ongoing was canceled after only 18 issues.

After that he barely appeared for about 15 years, but that was mostly because Lee didn't want anybody else writing him (to use Silver Surfer you had to go to Lee and ask personal permission to write him).

He did have a resurgence in the late '80s/early '90s as the flagship of Marvel's "cosmic" line but he's never been a Wolverine-style star. He's a cult favorite and the boss's pet.
>>
Then black panther slapped on a kimura.
>>
Is the new ongoing worth a read?
>>
File: kfg6rhhfgd.jpg (163KB, 628x825px) Image search: [Google]
kfg6rhhfgd.jpg
163KB, 628x825px
Silver Sufferer is way better.
>>
File: Exiles New Teams - Space Rider.jpg (2MB, 900x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Exiles New Teams - Space Rider.jpg
2MB, 900x1440px
>>78035982
>>
>>78038812
Looks like the Space Kook from Scooby Doo.
>>
File: IMG_3548.jpg (53KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3548.jpg
53KB, 250x250px
>>78026227
Silver Surfer wanders the universe alone strolling from bizarre planet to another, encountering strange and bizarre plots and events that he gets wrapped up into each time on his exploratory journey.

The important thing would be to just write solid one-or-two-offs in the vein of Conan and other similar adventure comics. Get a good artist who can play around with the paneling and narrative structure to his content to convey mood and tone impacts (Quitely, J.H. Williams III, Burnham, Fegredo, Harren, Nord, etc, etc) and you've got a winner.

Fuck slott's shit. I hate that he gets Allred for his run rather than someone more deserving who would actually do justice to the concept rather than writing Doctor Who fanfiction.

Surfer's always been a fantastic character almost since inception. Kirby put a lot of gusto into his character concept that makes him a wonderful font of stories and a great tool for a writer to use about almost any sort of introspection into the human condition they can imagine. He's probably one of the characters with the highest story potential in Marvel, I'd say along with Daredevil.
>>
>>78040229
I woud ead the shit out of this
>>
>>78025730
The Thing was way more popular at that time.
>>
>>78040229
My nigga
You get Surfer I wish Slott did
>>
>>78040229
you have a beautiful mind
>>
File: Silver Surfer.png (156KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
Silver Surfer.png
156KB, 425x425px
>>78025661
If Marvel can get the rights back and do World War Hulk, I'll bet his popularity would skyrocket. Maybe have him appear in GotG 2 to solidify his place as the face of Cosmic Marvel again.
>>
>>78025790
It was Marvel Two in One.
>>
>>78025661

People finally realized how retarded a silver naked man flying through space on a fucking SURFBOARD really was.

Only things in comics dumber than that is the Riddler always telling Batman is plan and Aquaman talking to fucking fish
>>
>>78046379
>dumber than a man who knows kung fu dressing as a bat and beating people up
I will never understand this
>>
I watched the Silver Surfer cartoon when it was on Netflix more than a year ago. I really liked it, but it ended on a cliffhanger. =(

It was really epic, in the sense of an epic poem with a tragic hero. It was great. Made me want to read some SS, but I heard his series are a mixed bag.
>>
>>78046070
You mean Disney. If Disney can get the rights back.
>>
>>78046379
Aquaman talking to fish isn't dumb you pleb, it's outrageous.
>>
>>78026292
Because as America we aren't thinking of exploring the universe right now. Our media reflects this with Sci Fi shows and movies being forgettable or flops. When you take out the cape shit and legacy shows, you get one or two popular space based shows/movie a year.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.