[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It seems like cartoons over the past ~five years have been getting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: adventure time 1989 nes.png (30KB, 949x713px) Image search: [Google]
adventure time 1989 nes.png
30KB, 949x713px
It seems like cartoons over the past ~five years have been getting more plot-centric, with focuses on grand arcs rather than self-contained episodes. What is your opinion of this? Adventure Time seems to have started the trend, with some rough growing pains, and Steven Universe is focusing heavily on world-building and setting plots in motion.
>>
Forgive the drawthread image, didn't realize that's what it was from the thumbnail.
>>
Which did it first, Gravity Falls or Adventure Time?
>>
I'm going to write a serious answer:
apples and oranges.
We can have serious long plots.
We can have episodic little nice stories.

Both can be executed well or like shit.
"Trends" are temporary and we will never only have 100% one type or the other, so the sensible thing would be enjoying what we like and shut up.

Now that this is clear, we can begin the console wars.
>>
>>77490800
Adventure Time did it first, but Gravity Falls had it planned out from the start.
>>
>>77490867
Yeah, Adventure Time had a kind of ad-hoc way of doing it, and had to spend some time finding its footing.
>>
>>77490921
I still don't think they know what the hell they're doing.

The fact that AT keeps getting renewed and extended and given a lot of leeway with losing and gaining people doesn't help. I think they probably have an idea on how it ends, but keep stalling all the major developments.

Whereas Gravity Falls seems really rushed at the moment, as if it's ending soon.
>>
>>77490968
To be honest, I gave up on Adventure Time. As you said, they didn't and still don't really know what they were doing. I felt they were spinning their wheels and jumped ship at the beginning of this year. May eventually jump back in and power through what I've missed, but it's low on my priority list.
>>
>>77490921
I think you mean ad-lib, but yeah. They pretty much always wrote stuff on the fly, but it's always surprised me the amount of foreshadowing they pulled literally out of nowhere, like Hambo.
>>
>>77491017
The current Marceline's miniseries is actually going pretty well. They are tying up some loose ends, like why Marcy is a vampire when her father is a demon
>>
>>77491047
The problem I think is they over-milk stuff. Seeing Hambo in I Remember You was incredibly poignant, but then they had Marceline go track it down, which felt flat to me, then had it as a cheap way to bring Betty back. Betty is another thing. Seeing Ice King's slow decent into madness and longing for her in Holly Jolly Secrets was once again very poignant, then they milked that dry by having Simon hastily come back and bring Betty into Ooo. Lessens the impact of the original stuff, in my opinion.
>>
>>77491135
Yeah, it has happened a couple of times. About Betty, though, I thought a lot about it and came to the conclusion that she abandoned Simon from the past for Simon from the future. She was Simon's last hope to keep his sanity, and her leaving only sealed Simon's fate. It gets me in the feels to some extent.
>>
File: A Big Weird Happy Family.jpg (575KB, 1280x1820px) Image search: [Google]
A Big Weird Happy Family.jpg
575KB, 1280x1820px
>>77490968
I don't think Alex Hirsch would rush Gravity Falls.

Who knows, it's probably for the best.

http://www.craveonline.com/culture/916253-b-movies-podcast-secrets-gravity-falls-alex-hirsch
>>
>>77491199
It was really rushed though. It should've been extended to two episodes.
>>
>>77490620
Well first of all, I thought I had stepped back a few years when I thought someone had actually made an AT drawthread.

Next of all, Adventure Time was never able to really follow through with their big arc plot ideas. They always seemed to fall short at the end and not live up to the hype, and I mean that they concluded their multi-episode arcs in anticlimactic or non-satisfying ways.
The most recent example being the whole thing about the comet, but others like the sky witch were just as underwhelming.
This is because they didn't have an overarching plot set up from the beginning and making major changes to the show left it feeling like it lost a lot of its charm.

Steven Universe clearly has had a plot in mind since its start and it benefits from that because it doesn't get locked into an episodic status quo while still being able to maintain enough of that episodic lucrativeness that CN seems to demand all of its shows have.
Since it clearly has something it's working towards, the payoffs are bigger and more satisfying.

I think I enjoy shows more when they at least allude to an end game instead of going on forever until they get canceled without any proper conclusion without even a plot outline that the show runners could share after it's off the air.
>>
>>77491085
>Marceline miniseries

Remenber when Finn and Jake used to go on adventures
>>
>Cartoons only just now started having plots

What are you, millennials?
>>
>>77491424
Strange now to imagine a time where a show was so popular it got its own dedicated drawthreads.
>>
>>77490620
Oh, man. I remember the AT drawthreads. Those were fun.
>>
>>77491424
Steven Universe has only had one major impact arc, and it died after that. Literally nothing important has happened since the first season's finale except that they ruined Peridot as a character.
>>
>>77491538
They're currently juggling two majors arcs and alluding to much more.

But yeah whatever it died after that.
>>
>>77491601
What I'm saying is that Season two is nowhere close to the amazing pacing of the first one. It's already dragged out too long, and chances are they have been improvising most of their plot points for the upcoming arcs.
>>
>>77491639
I thought that Rebecca has her bible fully fleshed out and knows what she's doing.
>>
>>77491538
>>77491601
>>77491639
Completely disagree, not going to bother arguing though since this isn't the thread for it.

>>77491463
Yeah, I can't see that ever happening again.
>>
>>77491639
The first season's pacing was ass though. Pacing is one of the shows actual legitimate problems.

They haven't even hit the halfway mark yet, and the first half of S1 had jack and shit for plot other than the basics and subtle hints.
>>
>>77491723
The real problem with SU has been all those hiatuses. Picking a series up after four months when the last episode was nothing but mediocre and not even a cliffhanger can feel like a chore.
>>
>>77491785
That's just shitty CN scheduling at work, it's been hurting the channel for a while now.
>>
>>77491818
It's not just CN who does it.

Disney has fucked over Gravity Falls, Wander Over Yonder, and probably a bunch of its other cartoons with the old schedule screw.

I can't figure out why they do it.
You order a season, they make the season, you air the season. You're not supposed to order a season then sit on half of it for a year before ever airing the episodes.
I can understand a hiatus between seasons, but I can't understand why they have hiatuses between almost every episode.
>>
Someone should dump AT drawthread deliveries
>>
>>77491990
Here you go.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/e8641boiwwrdu/AT_drawthreads

I never bothered to deleted all the other pics in the threads that weren't deliveries since the thought never occurred to me until much later.
>>
>>77491920
>>77491818
>>77491785
>>77491723
>>77491710
>>77491677
>>77491639
>>77491601
>>77491538
>>77491424
Too bad Steven Universe is on CN. As long as it sells it'll become a zombie.
>>
>>77491424
I feel like the emphasis has never been on a over arcing plot though. It's strength has always been it's self contained episodes focused on the characters and adventures. That being said, this newest arc with the vampires has been very satisfying in that regard.
>>
>>77491785
The real problem is that there's no reason to care about the rocks.

There have been very few episodes focused on them that do not just serve as a vehicle for revealing muh backstory
>>
>>77491710
Well a show's had its own board for a while and it's still going strong, does that count?
>>
>>77491461
Tell again how old cartoons weren't just 22 minute long toy commercials?
>>
File: distasteful.png (737KB, 430x784px) Image search: [Google]
distasteful.png
737KB, 430x784px
>>77491463
I don't really think it's that strange, I could see SU or Gravity Falls being able to support one.
I think the strange thing is imagining a time where mods wouldn't have cracked down on them and what was being requested and delivered, or them being allowed at all, considering what happens if anything gets "too popular".
>>
>>77492084
I don't know, seeing all the other images in the thread sort of gives it context. Like "this is the type of stuff being posted these days".
>>
>>77491460
Jesus Christ , we had 6 seasons, and that adventuring stuff could get really old, really fast if the series was only about that
>>
>>77492084
Huh, there weren't drawthreads in 2010?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.