[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /co/, you ever think about collaborating to make cartoons?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 13

File: 1358460271962.gif (297KB, 335x320px) Image search: [Google]
1358460271962.gif
297KB, 335x320px
Hey /co/, you ever think about collaborating to make cartoons?

I mean, I remember back in the early 2000's everyone and their mom had a flash series of some kind, they'd just go on newgrounds and either pay or get volunteer voice actors and then animate the thing themselves. Sure, standards were lower back then, but it's not like it's gotten harder to do it over the years. It just kind of petered out.

So why don't we try? I don't mean the same old "/co/ comes together to make a cartoon" thing, I mean, why don't some of s just make threads to ask for voice actors and writers and animators and shit for our own projects? At least on the voice acting front it's actually kind of surprising how many of you anons are legit quality VAs.

So how about it? doesn't anyone want to make cartoons?
>>
But anon, that's hard.

it's me, the /co/ makes a cartoon guy, from a year ago. I've been spending the past year building a website with a system put in place so that /co/ can do just that, in an organized and efficient way. It's almost done actually. I'm at work right now so I'll have to answer questions after. If this thread is still here if course. See you guys in a few hours.
>>
>>77415566
Aces.
>>
>>77414974
>Hey /co/, you ever think about collaborating to make cartoons?
What, with you bunch of whiny sociopathic lunatics? Hell no. Superjail exists, so I already know what 4chan pandering looks like.
>>
It could be cool, but also a lot of people are WAY too ambitious for their first projects. Everybody would have to agree on starting small and being patient. Not sure how plausible that is in a platform like this.
>>
/co/ is not a very unified board, I have no faith in their art and animation skills, it costs money.
>>
File: do it, faggot.png (114KB, 437x459px) Image search: [Google]
do it, faggot.png
114KB, 437x459px
Hey /co/... post your animations.
>>
>>77415811
the thing I always notice is everyone wants their project to be the main one, instead of treating it more like newgrounds where everyone kinda just does their own thing and lets the work speak for itself.
>>
I think it's just cause most anons don't know how to pitch things according to their strengths.

If you're a writefag, make a script, post it, and attract voicefags and drawfags. Or make a pitch document.

if you're a drawfag, make a series bible and post it to attract writefags and voicefags.

if you're a voicefag, post a fucking reel so people want you on board.

If you're an ideaguy, you better pray you have one hell of an elevator pitch.

It's better to present your shit properly instead of just throwing out a wall of text with a character design and hoping someone bites.
>>
>>77415566
I'm back real quick for my second break.

>>77415756
That's part of the fun

>>77415823
Which is why we haven't done anything besides those /coc/ threads, and that one sea sport based webcomic.

>>77415867
My solution to that problem would what we did last time. Everyone makes their own pitch, something like what this>>77415960 anon said, and then a straw poll takes place on /co/ to find out which is the most popular, and then, a second vote is held within the ranks of the actual animators, writers ext on the team, to find out which of the top choices they are the most willing to collaborate on. If in the event that we have too many cooks, we avoid spoiling the broth, by making a new one. (a cartoon, that is).

Alright, break over again. Next the hours or so, I'll switch to my computer.
>>
>>77415566
Godspeed, anon.
>>
File: irony.jpg (331KB, 806x704px) Image search: [Google]
irony.jpg
331KB, 806x704px
>>77415833
UGH...
but it's 9 years old. I went in more of an illustration direction afterward.

Also... old youtube compression. UGH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FT6-Rz7krc
>>
If there is one thing I'd like to say, it is that we need better voices of reason like >>77415960

And if there are two things I'd like to say, is that certain misconceptions plague community projects. specifically, when there is good work getting done and the crew is motivated, people begin to think that there is 'momentum' and that development can't stop so easily.
But even without any problems or obstacles that halt development, it an come to a sudden stop. The most active members, the driving force of the team, obviously don't work 24/7, and when their breaks of inactivity overlap, or something else causes a brief inactivity in development, then you have a deadly problem. That original momentum is almost impossible to catch, even if you have eager workers. Without a working pipeline and things getting worked on, you're basically swimming up a waterfall and the problem compounds itself.
A contingency plan, where even if development is completely stopped, someone eager could continue without having to rely on work being done, should be in place. Just a suggestion for >>77415566

I hope all that was decipherable, I'm at work and got to type this all out before boss catches me
>>
>>77414974
>>77414974
I'm making an episode length animatic of Stevie Galaxy.

The only issue I have so far is getting voice actors. It's kinda painful to slog through poor quality auditions and politely let people down again and again.

On the onther side of things; After working on it a bit I realized how easily I could create my own original animatic series. I'm going to start writing as soon as I'm done with this project and If /co started occasional Voice acting request threads I'd honestly come here first every time.
>>
>>77418313
I know this is going to sound crazy, but honestly, I think we just need to have some sort of studio system where everyone can do their thing, but if someone drops out things get assigned to people so work continues. It sounds unreliable, but I mean, why not just give a guy doing writing the task of doing some animation work, when in the past they would actually get people off the street who've never drawn to animate shit?

I think what's really necessary is to build the circle of people who're down, make some sort of space where people can talk and organize, and then just have not just the one director, but multiple directors just keeping different cogs in the machine running.

I think getting some of the drawfags from the webcomic threads involved is a good start. Then we should make some more threads asking people to submit shit, writing, animation, voicework, whatever, just so we have the contacts and a way to buffer the work, and then at that point it's just organization and thinking about what exactly everyone wants to do
>>
File: it hurts animation 2.gif (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
it hurts animation 2.gif
3MB, 800x450px
>>77415833
A year ago I tried to organize an animated adaptation of it hurts. Didn't work out, but was good experience, did a lot of audio editing and a couple of bits of animation. I still have a lot of the voice actors on skype.
>>
File: it hurts animation 1.gif (258KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
it hurts animation 1.gif
258KB, 700x394px
>>77418746
>>
>>77417168
I'm back.

>>77418313
>>77418644
So, here's my solution to that problem. What's most important during these kinds of projects, is transparency. Everyone, staff, and awaiting audience alike, have to know exactly how much work as been done, and how much work needs to be done at all times. There has to be a clear and definite amount of goals that need to be reached. Often times the work is being done by some dedicated few, but when it's not time for a meeting or a chat, no one knows exactly how much work has been done, because all of the concept art is sitting scattered in the personal folders of different individuals.

To combat this, I'll use two methods. One is a traditional animation chart, that maps out how many cuts are needed per scene, throughout the whole animation. It's a charted checklist of sorts that allows people to see what parts of an animation are in the story board phase, the Keyframe stage, inbetweeen, color, and so on. The chart will be used as a way to reserve parts so that way we don't end up with multiple people animating the same scenes.

The second important measure is the use of Blender. Blender, although traditionally used for 3D animation has this really great feature that allows multiple people to share files in a timeline. So, for instance, let's say we have an animatic done, basically just a storyboard put to music and voices. A person who has finished his portion of frames that he reserved from the chart, can then import those frames onto the animatic, Slowly, but surely the animatic, starts to look something like this >>77418746, piece by piece, frame by frame, until the animation is finished.

This method will allow anyone to jump in at any time during the production, as well as allow for a more relaxed style of progress, so that people with irl problems can simply take a break, or pass on his part to someone else who wants it.
>>
Well if you need a guy that can talk in spanish and is latin to make som racist joke , you can count on me!
>>
>>77419924
There aint enough room for two mejicunt gonzales voice actors in this town, ese.
>>
>>77419959
who say i am mexican , i am the from the worst spanish talking country in latin america amigo
I am from chile
>>
File: 1440288653465.png (773KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1440288653465.png
773KB, 720x960px
But how will you make enough money to incentivize people to come animate for you and not just spend their time on their own stuff, or better yet, spend their time trying to find a job?
>>
>>77415833
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXCfxudn7Tc
Damn, I haven't made an animation in a long time. Also, it's 17 seconds long and shit. That's all going to change when I get a pen display.
>>
File: 1366361773994.jpg (10KB, 116x120px) Image search: [Google]
1366361773994.jpg
10KB, 116x120px
>>77420007
>you now realize most animation studios make shit for ads, and not for creative storytelling
>even if /co/ studios got off the ground it'd have to whore itself out and just make ads for insurance and business shit instead of fucking cartoons

feels bad, man
>>
File: animator's survival kit.jpg (91KB, 1024x859px) Image search: [Google]
animator's survival kit.jpg
91KB, 1024x859px
we should probably put together some sort of torrent full of all the necessary animation shit for any anons interested. Not just the programs like the adobe suite and toonboom and the 3d stuff, but educational refference materials like this and LOOMIS.

That was even a literally who anon can walk in, get their shit, and start working from the get go in a relatively painless process
>>
I think the only way we could motivate people to work together would be through exposure. I mean katawa shoujo became well known on the internet.

I'm sure if /co/ could get a few anons who could work together and produce a short, someone would report on it. Even if the news title is something as stupid as "4CHAN MAKES A CARTOON AND IT'S NOT AS SCARY AS YOU THINK!!!"
>>
>>77420007
That's a fair question my chubby little child. We simply monetize the animations, sell merchandise, and whore ourselves out in the usual ways. Patreon, if we absolutely must, but first we'd need to prove that the system works in a timely and efficient manner.

As for looking for jobs, a good portfolio is all you really need to get hired anywhere. While applying for a job, you can say that you helped make this thing, and link the studio to that professional looking animation you were a part of, and they will see that you can work well with a team as well as produce quality work.

Or what this anon said >>77420251
>>
I am pretty bad making animations dude hehehe...
But i am pretty creative and i can help.....rigth?
>>
>>77420250
That is a definitely a necessity, as most of the people coming in would certainly be amateurs.
>>
>>77420150

This. Someone either has to know some idiot cartoon fanatic who is super rich or befriend a Jew with powerful networking. And the likeliness of either occurring are 0.0000000001%. And that's being generous.
>>
>>77420359
>>77420150
Patience anons, Rome wasn't built in a day, all we have to do is make something really popular, enough that it inspires some benefactors to lend us aid, or advertisement.
>>
>>77420411

The only thing I can think of is full on otaku/furry pandering.
>>
>>77420457
What about memes?
>>
>>77420470

Every Youtuber is already doing that.
>>
>>77420499
Like, our own memes. We become the reference made about pop culture.
>>
>>77420470
How's the animation career going, FlamingoRich?
>>
>>77420535
as long as their subtle that would be great background references
>>
>>77420251
>jobless, job hunting in bumfuck nowhere
>making money through the drip feed of comissions
>need exposure more than anything else
>want to make cartoons more than fucking anything

Let me say my piece. I want to do animated horror because, well, look, animation is magical, it makes these cartoony things come to life. But I grew up around a buddhist gramma and a tattoo artist dad so I had all these super weird stylized drawings that were strange and esoteric and had such technical craft put into it that you could still believe those weird frightening things were real. So imagine that sort of thing put into motion, I don't think there's ever been any sort of animation like that that really hits it out of the park. This is the passion of it, this is why I wanna do this, cause it's fucking weird and different

So here's the elevator pitch, an animated version of stuff like tales from the crypt and creepie and ec horror stuff, all narrated by this voodoo guy who's basically every black guy that dies first in a horror movie, but he somehow made it and is basically the farmer from jeepers creepers 2 level of "fuck these fucking monsters". Have an ongoing plot with him, but still have him host a ton of shorts of varying length. I've got like 70 story concepts ready to fucking go, right now, I can harlan ellison out a script and we can fucking start on something, anything, starting to fucking morrow.

if any of you fuckers want to start a skype group, add theaaganator. we should also make an irc or something, and of course we could congregate on the anon's website. I don't know if I'm making an ass of myself, but listen, I can animate, I did >>77418746 , I can draw, I can post some comic pages to prove it, I can do audio editing. And right now it's this or packing shit at walmart. Hell, it's probably going to be both.

So give a brother a chance and let's make shit happen. Even if it's something else, let's make it happen.
>>
So how the fuck does triptank work does the artist gets commissioned to animate a skit or does it work the other way around animators giving a skit to the show?
>>
so this is going to happen? /co/ is going to make a animation? (can i try to help?)
>>
>>77420669
Yes you may. I'll probably make a thread about it once the website is done, so be on the lookout for anything named CoToons.
>>
I'd deff be down for this if a writer was needed. If not I'll throw support and spam the shit out of it when it comes out.
>>
>>77420791
O shit!
Maybe i can learn how to make good shit!
Or just voice.... something
>>
>>77414974
done it.
>>
so...em...
What next?
>>
>>77421215
I asumed we'd all get in contact with eachother. I'm in touch with the website guy on skype right now, so I dunno if he's going to add people into a group or if we're going to make a chatroom or what

so, yeah, I guess anyone really interested should post their skype names or something.
>>
>>77421352
em.... maybe you can give me the skype or if you all make a chat room pass me the link...(my skype name is em....how to say it?)
>>
>>77421396
thebadoe
>>
>>77421531
Yes, I'm the website guy, and that's my skype handle.
>>
Writerfag interested
>>
>>77420606
Wait til I get home and I'll hear ya out, anon. Plea could be made a little less desperate sounding, though, kinda off putting.
>>
>>77415960
That's cool and all, but you need someone who can bring it all together. Unified vision and all that. There's a name for that title. Oh yea. A director!

Always the big problem I've seen with these /co/ projects. Never one guy who just gets everyone to work on one thing telling everyone how to do it. And of course everyone else unable to take orders. Just a bunch of weekend warriors running around with no organization.

The /co/ digital pulp magazine was the most successful thing I've seen, because its format worked with the nature of an image board. Sure it lacked quality control, but that's fine. It provided an outlet for people to share their work and motivated people with deadlines to provide results.
>>
File: colin.jpg (44KB, 640x358px) Image search: [Google]
colin.jpg
44KB, 640x358px
>>77421935
yeah, my bad. I just really want to sit down and make some fucking cartoons, man.
>>
>>77421927
Get crackin' on a good pitch anon.

>>77421991
That's what I'm here for. At least with the website.
>>
>>77421991
Deadlines are something we definitely need to get any work done. I don't know what the consequence to not getting it done would be, maybe that person gets shifted to a less desireable thing our you have a three strikes and the whole thing's canceled kind of thing, but we need to get schedules and deadlines for sure if we don't want to just spend five years on one short.

As far as directing goes, I think people need to come upfront and clearly state that they're up for it and make sure they know what their duties are. From previous experience I'd say the bare minimum is organizing the writing into smaller, manageable scenes that can be worked on simultaneously, assigning each voice actor to their role and, well, directing their takes to make sure it's good, assigning each animator to their scenes and keeping them on time, and jumping in to finish the scene themselves if the person isn't up to it, and a LOT of editing.
>>
>>77414974
>collaborating
>with /co/
I'd only ever work with people I knew and trusted to get jobs done and not be petty and egotistical, and that discounts the vast majority of /co/. Every fucking time anyone tries this it ends up an absolute clusterfuck of conflicting ideas and egos and usually the most fetishy, pandering cliche ridden crap wins out.

Despite judging other creators to a high standard, most here have the originality of Chris Chan and the work ethic of John K. Plus they're a bunch of fucking drama queens on top of that. I will say plenty of people here can draw well, but that's about it. A few can write but not many, /co/ is very quick to heap praise on even particularly cringe-worthy mediocre writefagging if it features their favourite characters.

I don't mean to shit all over your dreams but well, someone has to do it because this has happened enough times now.
>>
File: 1440191565756.png (76KB, 641x566px) Image search: [Google]
1440191565756.png
76KB, 641x566px
>>77422342
At this point nobody can argue against what you're saying until someone just up and manages to do it and has work with /co/ that speaks for itself.
>>
The guy making all of this is pretty nice
>>
If this is done we need to be realistic. Nothing more than 3 minutes for starters. From there you get more and more ambitious depending on what you can rope in in terms of manpower and skill
>>
>>77422985
Yeah, I think we need to make some sort of proof of concept short, and have all the more ambitious stuff in the backburner. Which is to say, don't leave it for later, write scripts and make storyboards, just so we keep moving forward, but yeah, absolutely, shorts first. I'd even argue if we get enough anons we should try having different teams do different shorts simultaneously to get that Rareware competition going on
>>
>>77423086
Agreed. I spoke with the site builder. Looks like it'll take some time for the website to be built. Until then everyone should keep practicing their craft
>>
>>77420606
I'm on board.
>>
So I'm guessing this is the next Golden Apple Tournament?
>>
>>77425304
How's that going by the way?
>>
Anyone remember that bird thing /co/ was raving about a while back? I don't remember what it was called, but it seemed that it had some promise.
>>
>>77426537
oh yeah, I think I tried to get in on that years ago, boy that went fucking nowhere. Cool concept drawings, though.
>>
>>77426610
Know about anymore failed /co/ projects?
>>
>>77426803
the fact that none specifically come to mind but I know for a fact there have been more is really depresing for the purposes of this thread.
>>
>>77426899
I searched around of the web and all I found was this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1I4rRCwuolxegQRNYqtw8koYV7aczBfYXqaag9nxO514/edit?pli=1
>>
>>77418746
That's actually really good and expressive.
>>
>>77415833
Sure thing, Mr. Salinger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S3YXXp6bOM
>>
>>77418049
I want you to know I watched this while listening to Dirty Harry by Gorillaz and it fit incredibly well.
That falling animation was really good.
>>
File: hello everyone, goodbye friend.jpg (31KB, 500x393px) Image search: [Google]
hello everyone, goodbye friend.jpg
31KB, 500x393px
>There are people who make a billion dollars every day from something they made once and gave to other people to work on for them
>Not one of them will use just a measly 20 million to make a cool animated movie
>>
>tfw coward anon who doesn't want anybody online to know who he is
>>
>>77428709
Thanks. That's the one bit of animation that holds up to me. The walking and running are horribly awkward.
>>
File: IMAG0938.jpg (624KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0938.jpg
624KB, 1520x2688px
I have an idea i can assble if anyone is interested.

Its called horrorscopes and is mostly character driven.

Its about a world where your astrological sign is held as gospel when it comes to who you are and treated as, and it centers on a support group of characters that dont fit into their boxes.
>>
>>77414974
Sure, i just need to learn flash

I know like $10 of how to use it
>>
>>77428760
I know that feel.

I'm great at networking and already have close friends at CN saying they'd put in many good words. So if I wait it out a year or more I might actually have a shot at working in the mainstream industry.

But I'm more into helping out scrappy underdogs and outsiders than watering everything down for corporate-driven entertainment that will probably just be cancelled anyway.

It's a silly dilemma but it's mine all the same
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.