[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This may be better in /outdoors but here goes. Can anyone recommend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 41oBH+79YBL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg (14KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
41oBH+79YBL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
14KB, 350x350px
This may be better in /outdoors but here goes. Can anyone recommend a decent, cheap, electric burner/cooktop to use on a 1600W generator for emergencies?

I know, the typical answer is "use a propane stove". I'd rather have something that runs off my generator as the fuel can be multi-use stored for either the generator or car as needed. Propane is also notoriously hard to find during an actual emergency. During Irma, no one was rushing in to deliver propane cans but fuel trucks were getting hotlined in. Gasoline is more readily available in my experience.

So I just need a decent enough cookplate, maybe 1200-1300 watts or below, just so I can boil water for drinking or cook pasta/soup/etc. Doesn't have to be anything fancy.

Any ideas? I've seen a few cheap ones on Amazon but they all seem to turn off once they reach the desired heat and don't maintain it to keep things boiling/cooking.
>>
>>9434378
If you're in an actual emergency you shouldn't be boiling anything but drinking water. Heating up beans and other canned foods should take minutes.

Also propane can be stored if you have a survival kit and is way more portable than a fucking generator.
>>
>>9434403

But the generator is already being used for the emergency: air conditioning unit, fans, phone charging, etc. Portability of the generator is a moot point, since I'm not fleeing off into the woods in an emergency. I'm staying in my house, and the generator is staying with the house.

Pasta and ramen are great dry food storage in the pantry since they don't take much space, and cooking them to edible just requires boiling water. Why would I not boil water to cook pasta/ramen? I can store more meals worth of pasta in the same space as I can with a can of beans or soup.
>>
>>9434403
>he doesn't want to prepare a nice hollandaise over a double boiler set on his portable stove by candlelight in the event of a terrorist attack on the electrical grid
>>
get an induction cooktop
they're the most efficient by a long shot
don't get the cheapest one you can find, expect to pay $70-120 for a decent one
>>
>>9434576

Sadly, none of my current pots and pans are magnetic in any way so I'd have to grab some induction capable cookware which would definitely increase the cost.

Another aspect of my hunt is just trying to find *something* capable of boiling water ASAP, as we have another few tropical storms churning around and all the local stores that I can find don't have any propane cook stoves available, or the coleman 1 lb bottles.

I have a gas grill with a large propane tank that's fairly full, but during Irma when I had no power, sadly I was unable to bring water to a boil. Even 3-4 cups could not come to a rolling boil, and only just got lightly bubbly and steamy.
>>
>>9434601
Get an electric kettle.
>>
>>9434601
Fastest way to boil water is a microwave, full stop. But since I'd doubt in your case you'd use it for a anthing else use a kettle to save space
>>
>>9434601
you can go to a second hand store and get a steel or iron pot for under $10 i'm sure
>>
>>9434617

My generator is rated at 1600W with 2000W max. I'm not sure if I could run a microwave on it, though it would of course be ideal.

>>9434610
>>9434617

I have considered a kettle... but one thing I would like to be able to cook is rice. On a hotplate I could pull that off with a pot on top and just keeping the lid closed, letting it boil/steam for 20 minutes. I dont think I'd have that capability with a kettle, and a bag of rice goes a long way
>>
File: 1477178348208.jpg (11KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
1477178348208.jpg
11KB, 251x242px
>>9434601
>rolling boil
>>
>>9434378
Honest answer: any cheap $10 electric hot plate will work great when brand new during emergency scenarios. They all start to suck after 3-6 months of regular use as the wiring connections and thermostats start to deteriorate.
>>
>>9434661

are you trying to somehow meme that a rolling boil isnt a thing?
>>
>>9434644
Microwaves are usually in the 1kW range
>>
>>9434707

I'll give mine a try then. I've got a Kill A Watt comin so I'll plug it in and see what amperage it draws. If its under 13 then I guess I'm golden to at least use it to cook/boil
>>
File: 519-ypweaXL.jpg (39KB, 413x500px) Image search: [Google]
519-ypweaXL.jpg
39KB, 413x500px
>>9434378
What about a burner that runs on fuel directly?

I've been thinking about one myself, because handling and the availability of fuel is a lot better than propane.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.