[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the process of age drying meat? It seems strange

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 20101210-prime-rib-primer-aged.jpg (98KB, 610x458px) Image search: [Google]
20101210-prime-rib-primer-aged.jpg
98KB, 610x458px
What's the process of age drying meat? It seems strange something like old meat would be edible and not make you sick.
>>
>>9410361
Buy 20 pounds of prime rib
Stick it in a cool dry place
You now have 15 pounds of prime rib
Cut off all the nasty bits
You now have 9 pounds of prime rib
>>
>>9410361
it's aged in temperature and moisture controlled environments when done professionally but you can do it at home as well just put a wire rack in a pan and put your steaks on the rack and shove it in the fridge, as long as it's not above forty degrees for more than a couple hours it's fine. time and temp are the main factors in whether or not shit will make you sick
>>
>>9410385
also helps to circulate air, hack in a computer fan or something to keep the air moving around.
>>
>>9410385
Temperature and moisture are the key factors to control. It's basically giving the meat enzymes time to soften and the meat time to mummify.
>>
>>9410379
>Cut off all the nasty bits
How do you know which are the good and bad parts of it? I mean I know that should be obvious, but I've seen people eat some nasty looking ones.
>>
>>9410385
So why is it that meat goes bad in my fridge after like 3 days but this shit is fine?
>>
>>9410538
It shouldn't be going bad that fast, but it could be that your fridge is too warm, too moist, or that there's bacteria in your nasty ass fridge that're getting to the meat.
>>
Under controlled temps and humidity, the outside doesn't dry before the inside and thus a reduction in moisture can occur uniformly throughout the meat. If the outside of the meat dries too quickly, moisture cannot escape and moisture = spoilage (think unvinegared pussy).

Ignore these idiots saying you can do it with a pan of water and a typical refrigerator. Get a standalone used refrig and install a digital humidistat and thermometer along with a humidifier controlled by the humidistat. You can safely make dry sausage as well as dry aged beef. You've entered godtier at that point.
>>
>>9410538
This is typically done in a more dedicated fridge than the one you store the rest of your food in. You will want a fan like another anon mentioned. The circulation of air, the cool temps (like 34°F is ideal from what I remember when I read about it last) and not opening the fridge are the most important parts.

Also, if meat is going bad in 3 days in your fridge, you need to turn that shit down, that shouldn't be happening.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.