[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard is it to make sushi at home? Do I need any special

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: maki.jpg (128KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maki.jpg
128KB, 1280x720px
How hard is it to make sushi at home?
Do I need any special cooking tools?
>>
probably need a knife
>>
>>9409923
I meant things you don't find in the home kitchen.
>>
>>9409919
It's really easy, you just have to have the right ingredients for what you want to make. The only tool you might want is one of those bamboo sushi mats.
>>
File: IMG_20170902_165156.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170902_165156.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
>>9409919
It wasn't too hard. Pic related was my first attempt two weeks ago.
>>
Good sushi rice is a bit hard to make if you are not used to cooking japanese rice. If you want to birth abominations like >>9410029 then it is really easy
>>
File: 20170324_110353.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170324_110353.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>9409919
I used to make grocery store sushi for a while. I know that gets ridiculed a lot for not being authentic (most of the sushi in the U.S won't be regardless), but it was decent quality with the amount of effort that goes into making it.
You're gonna need:
-Short or medium grain white rice
-Rice vinegar
-Nori (the seaweed)
-Salt and Sugar
-And preferably a rolling mat, to keep it nice and neat.
That's just for the actual sushi, any ingredients are up to you.
From there, you cook the rice accordingly (we used a rice cooker because of the volume of sushi we made), in which you rinse heavily before cooking.
To give the rice a generic sushi flavor, 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and one teaspoon of salt are either boiled microwaved together, and that's enough for 2 cups of uncooked rice, or about 4 cups of cooked rice. Just mix and you're rice should be real sticky then.
I can explain the way we'd make the rolls if you want, but keep in mind this is all pretty labor intensive to make from scratch.
>>
>>9409948
>bamboo sushi mats
>the very definition of unitasker

Fuck that, just make sashimi. It's better than those stupid rolls with hipster ingredients anyway. Want seaweed with raw fish? Take a square, add some rice, wasabi, a slice of sashimi and whatever meme ingredient is buzzing that day, dip in soy sauce and eat. Just like the lettuce packets you make with kalbi or bulgogi with KBBQ. Don't put sushi on some faggy pedestal - it's literally street food.
>>
It's really easy. I only did it once but my knife wasn't sharp enough (student) to cut through the roll so I just ate it like a sausage.
>>
>>9410066
Call me a pleb but I like grocery store sushi.
So tell me about the rolls.
>>
>>9410070
The mats are nothing fancy, you can buy them for like a dollar in chinese shops.
>>
>>9410079
I love it too. I've gotten worse sushi from someone's asian girlfriend and at an asian restaurant which had one of those sushi carousels. I don't care that japanese and weebs will look down upon it, for all I know I may not even like traditional sushi.
>>
>>9410029
How do you get the porridge to stay inside the roll?
>>
>>9410070
Nigger you can find the mats for a dollar. It doesn't take any more effort to make rolls.
>>
>>9410070
There's no way a mat can't be used for other tasks.
>>
>>9410044
It's not too hard once you know the ratio of water you need
>>
>>9410044
>abominations
The rice looks a bit wet, but is it really that bad?
>>
>>9410118
You have one then you have an excuse to make kimbap all the time, which is a god tier lunch to make for yourself
>>
>>9410079
Ok dokey then.
We would wear food prep gloves and add a bit of oil to them so the rice wouldn't stick to the gloves. And I forgot to mention, you put the rice on the rough side of the nori.
When you start making a large roll, you evenly spread about a handful of rice onto the nori, covering all but about 1.5-2 inches on the top. If you want the rice in the outside of the roll, you flip the nori over and start placing ingredients. If you want the seaweed outside, you place a small line of rice on top of the roll, and press down on it so it'll be more sticky and help the roll stay closed when you roll it. Don't flip the roll, obviously.
You now place the ingredients from here, and that's up to you. I recommend just a basic California roll to start with, and work up from there. For us, that would consist of imitation crab, cucumber, and avocado slices. Be sure not to overload it with ingredients, since you want it to close neatly and because this isn't a fucking burrito. I personally would place the ingredients in the bottom of the roll.
I would then place the roll on top of the mat (we would have the mats covered in plastic wrap), roll the rice and nori over the ingredients with the aid of the mat and press down on the initial part of the roll. After that closed nicely, I would roll it forward by hand and finish rolling it. I'd then touch it up with the mat to keep it round and pretty.
For cutting it, you need a real sharp knife and a small bowl of water. Cutting sushi is made a lot easier when the knife is wet.
To get an even 8 pieces, we'd cut the roll in the center to get 2 halves, and cut both halves 3 times. It takes some practice to get it right.
It's essentially the same thing for the small rolls, the only difference is that you use half a sheet of nori instead.
>>
>>9410029
the roll is good, but the actual rice looks disgusting senpai
>>
>>9410140
Thanks, I can't wait to give it a go.
>>
>>9409919
It's tedious to prepare but not difficult. Just get the mat and a rice cooker
I usually just make kimbap because I can't be assed getting sushi grade fish too often.
>>
File: 1490689856331.jpg (381KB, 1200x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1490689856331.jpg
381KB, 1200x1400px
>>
>>9410120
The hardest is actually balancing the amount of mirin

>>9410128
The rice is the most important part
>>
>>9410177
>kimbap
I looked it up and I'm almost positive I've seen that been put in boxes of store "sushi". It looks a lot like sushi though, so maybe it just looked the same.
>>
>>9410140
Thanks! Sounds easy enough, although I'm sure it will involve a lot of failure and frustration untill some decent results get produced.
>>
>>9410070
>the very definition of unitasker
they're practically disposable.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.