[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you wear down the bolster on a full-bolster knife? After

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: cooks_knife_detail_lg.jpg (36KB, 610x299px) Image search: [Google]
cooks_knife_detail_lg.jpg
36KB, 610x299px
How do you wear down the bolster on a full-bolster knife?

After multiple sharpening of the blade, the bolster sticks out a little bit and prevents full contact of the blade against the cutting board.

I found a YouTube video of a pro sharpener grinding down the bolder with industrial belt sander, but I want to know if I can just do it at home with whetstones or sandpapers.
>>
OP if you sharpened that much shit off your knife its time for a new one.

If you take a sander to that bolster it will get then entire knife hot enough to ruin the heat treatment
>>
>>9401445
>whetstone
Will ruin your whetstone, or at least wear it down a lot.

>sandpaper
Will take a shitload of time.

Better off letting it be grinded down by professionals.
>>
>>9401445
Wow, those are some wanky descriptions.

>Carefully ground and polished to eliminate sharp edges that could cause injuries

is one pretentious way of saying "blunt". Also:

>Business end of the knife

Seriously?
>>
>>9401445
>if I can just do it at home with whetstones or sandpapers.
Sure you can. But start with a very coarse sandpaper or stone otherwise it will take a very long time.

I only own one full-bolster knife. I take the bolster down using an extra-coarse DMT diamond plate that I have for flattening my stones. then proceed with sharpening as normal.
>>
>>9401445
There has been some bad advice so far. You really have three options:
1. Let a pro do it
2. Get a $40 Harbor Freight belt sander and do it yourself
3. Use manual tools. Start with a file (preferably a coarse bastard file then a fine mill file but one mill file is OK) and follow up with with sand paper working up to 1000 grit or more.

Using a belt sander will not screw up the heat treatment. Just dip the knife in some water every 15 seconds or so. Keep the temp to where you can touch it w/o burning yourself.

t. amateur knife maker.
>>
>>9401445
My wustof classic did the same thing after the first time I ran it on a stone. I think it's a design flaw. I had a professional grind it down, and it hasn't happened since, i probably sharpened it on the stone 25 times since then
>>
>>9402017
You can even see it on the picture in the OP. That bolster sticks out way too far, unless your expected to sharpen the tip only. I imagine a blade that went through so many sharpening cycles, it's a bolster with a two inch triangle blade
>>
>>9401459
>it will get then entire knife hot enough to ruin the heat treatment
What utter bullshit. Have you ever worked with a belt sander in your life? I have ground down many bolsters and reprofiled and thinned lots of knives on my belt sander, and only an utter retard would manage to overheat the blade so much that he temper is affected.
>>
>>9402028
????? No, the knife in OP's picture is brand new and the bolster is perfectly fine. It would take dozens of complete rebevelings to make the bolster stick out noticeably.
>>
>>9401445
that´s why as a profesionnal chef i don´t buy knifes with Bolster/finger guard anymore ...

even "profesionel" sharpeners forget to grind the Bolder off if you don´t ask for...
>>
>>9401445
In absence of a belt grinder, a rotary tool can probably do it (they are too cheap not to have one).

Wear your safety glasses.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.