[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it you can buy the same ingredients and make a fast food

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Fast_food_meal.jpg (169KB, 500x389px) Image search: [Google]
Fast_food_meal.jpg
169KB, 500x389px
Why is it you can buy the same ingredients and make a fast food recipe the same way they do at the joint, but it still isn't as tasty? Is it something about specific ingredients they use? What's the deal? What's the secret?
>>
>>9390427
I've never experienced that problem, anon. Making the recipe yourself is usually far far superior to what an average fast food restaurant does because you can make everything fresh and use good quality ingredients rather than having a re-heated meal made with the cheapest shit ingredients possible.

It's also highly unlikely you are doing the same thing. I doubt you have an industrial deep fryer at home. Your meat patties aren't made in a giant factory somewhere, etc.
>>
>>9390427
Their seasonings, the convenience, having friers
>>
>>9390427
Salt, fat, and sugar. Fast food is high in all three and therefore taste good since they tickle your taste recepticals.
>>
try a little secret seasoning called monosodium glutamate
>>
Ungodly amounts of salt.
>>
>>9390430
>>9390432
This is what I mean. It's so much more fatty and salty and sugary from Fast Food joints than from cooking it at home. It's like the use a secret fat, salt, sugar mix or something.
>>
>>9390430
The flipside of the freshness thing is that sometimes fast food joints can beat you on it due to shorter distribution chains or differences in the cooking process, and conversely sometimes the "fast food taste" is a short rest or something which we consider overcooking at home.

Also, MSG.
>>
>>9390479
What exactly is MSG? I just hear it used as a buzzword like things being "MSG free".
>>
the food is processed to make a certain flavor. also, if you can't make it taste better than mcdonalds, learn to cook better
>>
>>9390485
its a form of salt which is tasty but really bad for you (its what makes fast food so unhealthy)
>>
>>9390485
Monosodium glutamate.

It's the purest form of the "savory" aka "umami" flavor.
Salty - table salt
Sweet - sugar
sour - acid
bitter - base
savory/umami - MSG

Simple as that. MSG is to savory as sugar is to sweet. A couple decades ago there was some health scare that MSG might have been dangerous but there have been countless double-blind studies since then and none of them found any ill effects of MSG. MSG occurs naturally in many foods, like tomatoes, hard cheeses (parmesan), and anything that's fermented. That's why some Chinese restaurants use it--it's a cheap substitute for the fermented products like douchi or doubanjiang normally used to make many Chinese dishes.
>>
>>9390500
That's a red herring. Msg is not bad for you, it was a correlation causation thing.
>>
>>9390500
>really bad for you
no it's absolutely not
you have sodium ion, the same as in good old salt, except there is 3 times less sodium in MSG than in NaCl by weight
then you have glutamate ion, ALL proteins are broken down into glutamate ions by body

Asian cuisine is one big lump of MSG with side of rice, but they are the healthiest people
>>
>>9390485
It's just a fermented sauce, basically the same shit as soy sauce or fish sauce/Worcestershire base except usually made with corn starch/sugar instead of soy and wheat or anchovies.

It gets hated on because of an unholy fusion between hippies instinctively hating anything with more than two syllables and proto-/pol/ considering Asian food unclean race-mixing.
>>
>>9390608
It's not a sauce at all, dumbass. It's a a crystalline solid.
>>
>>9390612
wew they dry it
dried sauce
mankind was not ready, we should not have played god
after the Troubled Times, when world governments have stabilized and the New Earth Federation rises from the ashes of the old UN, its first act will be to enact an Open Bowl Left In The Sun Nonproliferation Pact

nah, it's dried corn-instead-of-soy sauce, ya dingus
>>
File: 1161395634651.jpg (38KB, 580x388px) Image search: [Google]
1161395634651.jpg
38KB, 580x388px
>>9390621
Those are some silly mental gymnastics you have to do to go from "sauce" to a fucking colorless crystal.....
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.