[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>1/4 cup grated yellow onion >grated onion >grate onion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

>1/4 cup grated yellow onion
>grated onion
>grate onion

How do I do this without making a disgusting mess? I've done it before and the results were a cheese grater that was nearly impossible to get the stringy onion out of to clean and hands that stunk for two days
>>
Couldnt you just finely cut the onion? Or am i missing something
>>
prolly fine mince, what's the recipe anon
>>
Food processor
>>
Dumb frogposter.
>>
>>9380965
I don't think so

>>9380969
the consistency is like applesauce:
http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2016/09/bulgogi-beef-how-they-barbecue-in-korea.html

>>9380970
Was afraid that was the answer. I hate having more gadgets.
>>
>>9380969
>>9380990
About :43 seconds into this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2LyD3sNegE

He does say I can mince it really fine. Maybe that's what I'll do. I enjoyed the recipe but man the onion was a mess.
>>
>>9380999
You could use a blender or immersion mixer too, with a little water added.
Watching the video, it's just for a marinade so mincing would be okay too (like he said).
>>
>>9381043
>it's just for a marinade
Why grate anything then? Just dump all the ingredients in a blender or food processor.

>>9380945
Either your grater is horribly dull or you tried to use the wrong type/side of grater.
>>
File: blisspepe.png (37KB, 1083x830px) Image search: [Google]
blisspepe.png
37KB, 1083x830px
>>9381043
Thanks. I'll try mincing next time.

>>9381070
I don't have a food processor, I might look into one. My grater is sorta old but seems to still be pretty sharp, but I'll buy a new one and see if it improves things. The fibers get stuck in the grates.

What type of grater is best for onion?
>>
File: Carlos.jpg (34KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Carlos.jpg
34KB, 600x600px
>>9381080
>What type of grater is best for onion?

One that isn't lesser
>>
Stringy? Did you not peel the onion? Did you do it with the grain?
>>
>>9381301
I did peel it. I'm not sure about with the grain...
>>
File: graters.jpg (18KB, 425x285px) Image search: [Google]
graters.jpg
18KB, 425x285px
>>9381080
>What type of grater is best for onion?
Anything with large, scalloped holes like the TOP of the attached pic. Ideally they should be individually sharpened. Some brands skimp out on that and they're not actually sharp. Look for a beveled edge like you'd see on a knife. It can be a box type or like the picture, that doesn't matter. But the type/shape of the holes needs to be like the top pic.

The bottom grater in this pic is for hard foods. It would be a fucking mess for onion and you'd never get it clean.

>>9381080
>I don't have a food processor
I highly recommend you get a good quality blender if you don't already have one. It's a super useful kitchen tool and makes marinades literally a 10 second job. Dump ingredients in blender. Pulse. A food processor would also work but if you don't have either a blender or processor I'd recommend you buy the blender. You can always do food processor jobs with a knife if you have to, but you can't emulate a blender with a knife.
>>
>>9381416
Thanks. I was using the bottom style. Seems like the top style wouldn't really liquify it like he has though. Or would it?
>>
>>9381465
The top won't liquify it. That's the whole point. The bottom is just going to make a liquidy mess. The top one will actually cut small pieces of onion.

If a recipe calls for "Grated onion" it's referring to the top.

Top type grater: soft foods like veggies, most cheeses.
Bottom type grater: hard foods like nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, hard cheeses, or zest from citrus fruit skins.
>>
>>9381499
Take a look at the video of what he puts in. :43 seconds into this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2LyD3sNegE
>>
>>9381516
1) That's exactly what you'd get from the top grater. Look closely at the video and you can see distinct pieces. I grate raw onion into my meatball mix and hushpuppy batter using that exact type of grater and that's exactly what it looks like.

2) It doesn't fucking matter that much. It's a marinade. You're overthinking this. It really doesn't matter what form the onions are in, which is why I recommended sticking everything in a blender and pureeing it. But you could use a food processor, mince it fine with a knife, mash the fuck out of it with a meat hammer...it really doesn't matter so long as you end up with little bits of onion. I still recommend the blender because it's the fastest method with the least cleanup but anything that results in pulverized/smashed/finelychopped onion will work fine in a marinade. In fact, the more smashed the better since more onion flavor is released (again, another reason to use the blender)

The reason I'm talking about the grater at all is because I'm trying to help people that make the mistake of grating soft foods on the "hard food" type of grater.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.