[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /ck/ I'm making some bread and I need help post haste.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: bread.jpg (121KB, 439x437px) Image search: [Google]
bread.jpg
121KB, 439x437px
Hey /ck/

I'm making some bread and I need help post haste.
I made it using a slow rise method, using:
2 ounces of instant yeast
4 cups of bread flour.
and a dash of pink salt (its what I had on hand)

16 hours of rising later, and the dough smells like cheap booze.
So my first instinct was "knead the FUCK out of it and let it rise a little more"

What do you guys recommend I do to save this? It has happened before, and I left it with the alcohol smell, and it ended up tasting like it smelled.
Help me /ck/ you're my only hope.
>>
File: bred.jpg (385KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
bred.jpg
385KB, 1600x1200px
>>9376208
Fermenting dough does smell a bit.

I could be wrong, but if that 2oz of yeast is 56 grams, and that's over 5 tablespoons, that's way too much.

Like the most basic white bread recipe is 6:3:3:13, so for your purposes about 2:1:1:4. 2 cups water, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon yeast, 4 cups flour.
>>
File: cookiemonster794673.png (107KB, 459x356px) Image search: [Google]
cookiemonster794673.png
107KB, 459x356px
>2 ounces of instant yeast
is that what the recipe called for?
>>
>>9376262
Im sorry, I meant 2 grams, 2oz is a ridiculous amount.
I generally get those two mixed up, since they are the two measurements on my kitchen scale.
>>
How much water did you use, OP? What temp did you let it bulk ferment at? Depending on the temp, it sounds like it probably overproofed.
>>
File: breadfaults.png (244KB, 1185x1625px) Image search: [Google]
breadfaults.png
244KB, 1185x1625px
kneading it won't change the flavor.
>>
yeast dough smells like brew. that's just the way it is.
how did it turn out?
>>
>>9378656
After I kneeded the living hell out of it, the smell went away partially. It wasn't really a beer smell, it was more of a wine smell.

I baked it, on a baking sheet slathered with olive oil and cornmeal. The flavor of the cornmeal was very overpowering, and there wasn't enough salt in the mixture. In addition, it was very dense at the bottom. It looked like it rose while it baked, but that was only the crust, the rest fell after the crust formed.

On the bright side, there was no alcohol taste, as there was with my last batch with this problem.

To compensate for the lack of flavor, i made a very salty spread with tomatoes, onions, garlic, oregano, paprika, thyme and a few other things that don't come to mind.

That balanced it out quite well, and i feel as if it wasn't a total waste.

Lesson I took away from this:
More salt. The lack of salt probably helped the bread overproof, creating the smell and texture.

Also I need to crank my oven up to 490 for the actual temperature to reach 425. But that's just cause my kitchen is haunted.
>>
>>9378791
just know salt can fuck up the yeast. so add it after the dough forms and before you knead it
>>
>>9378949
Bullshit, Gordon. I always add salt when adding the rest of the ingredients for my dough and it comes out just fine
>>
>>9378959
no fucking way -- you've gotta let the flour and salt autolyse for a bit before you add the yeast and salt. this is more important with ~artisan~ breads than kneaded breads, but it's still important. the salt retards yeast activity, it's best to let the gluten develop some before adding them
>>
>>9378980
Ill try it next time
>>
>>9378995
what recipe are you using, anon?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_percentage
https://www.amazon.ca/Baking-3rd-Sarah-R-Labensky/dp/0132374560
OP, don't be a fucking faggot. You need to use the bakers percentages. Also, 16 hours is way too long for rising, at that point you're into 'pre ferment' territory and need to add that to another dough.
>>
>>9379062
it sounds like OP is new to baking, considering they're using cups instead of metric/weight/percentages. they might not know about the science behind baking. don't be so harsh!

OP, check out the book "Flour Water Salt Yeast" by Ken Forkish. it's a great introduction to the science behind bread-making and a wonderful resource for making high quality artisan breads.
>>
>>9379080
Yeah I'm new to baking. Generally I detest using cups and the like, (especially teaspoons, they are the least consistent for me to measure, so i always convert to grams) but cups tend to be easy to measure out.
>>
>>9379300
When you're measuring something like flour in cups, make sure to "fluff up" the flour before you measure. Basically, stir it around really well to get lots of air into it, and then spoon it into the measuring cup instead of dipping the cup into the bag of flour and scooping it. You'll get a more accurate measurement that way!

There's a lot of science involved with bread baking. The "baker's formula" is really important -- it's all about the ratio of flour to water to salt to yeast. Temperature and ambient humidity also are a big factor in how quickly dough rises!

Are you trying to make a traditional sandwich loaf, for something more like a rustic "artisan" loaf?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.