[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do I become a better chef? I cook as a hobby and try to gain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

File: snd.png (4KB, 40x33px) Image search: [Google]
snd.png
4KB, 40x33px
how do I become a better chef?
I cook as a hobby and try to gain solid fundamentals in cooking but also experiment a lot.
Problem is most of the time I do feel like I don't know much about what I'm doing.
What are some resources I can get into to learn how to be a proper chef?
>>
>>9363703

The word you're looking for is "cook", not "chef". A chef manages a professional kitchen.

The quick answer is: work in a professional kitchen for 6 months. When you make as many dishes in a night as a hobby cook makes in a year, you get good fast. It's about getting down the fundamentals of technique and learning how to taste, even if you'll only be making the same 50'ish dishes every night. Once you know how to cook on the line, taste, season, prep and plate, anything you look up on the internet or in a cookbook will immediately seem attainable.
>>
>>9363703
>using chef as a general term for someone who makes food
When will this shitty meme ever die
>>
>>9363703
Your best bet is to just look online.

https://theculinarycook.com/start-here/
This site has a lot of basic information and defines terms you may be lacking. Just read up and practice. Also it may help to go eat at well known good restaurants and get a better idea of how things should taste.
>>
File: 66516485.png (175KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
66516485.png
175KB, 640x480px
>>9363714
Not op, but that sounds unviable to me. I already have a good career and I don't wanna throw it away to get good at a hobby. And I wouldn't think it's as easy as "just b a chef lol". Like you'd probably need to have prior experience or training to be a chef unless you're flipping burgers at McDonald's in which case your cooking experience will be bet limited to a corporate structure.

Is it better just to go to some community college cooking class? Audit a class at a culinary school? I'm not trying to be a pro chef, I'm trying to be safer, smarter, and more effective in the kitchen.
>>
File: admiraljohn.jpg (101KB, 600x697px) Image search: [Google]
admiraljohn.jpg
101KB, 600x697px
>>9364021
My friend the correct solution is to become a disciple of Chef John, you can find him on YouTube under Food Wishes

This motherfucker cooks. He's got all the professional know how and is a huge advocate of cooking by adjustment instead of by a strict recipe.
>>
File: masterblaster.jpg (26KB, 304x304px) Image search: [Google]
masterblaster.jpg
26KB, 304x304px
>>9363703
>>9364021
>>9365604

this reply was meant for OP
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.