[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here know about or done a stage at a restaurant? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: p02jf3f6.jpg (411KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
p02jf3f6.jpg
411KB, 1920x1080px
Anyone here know about or done a stage at a restaurant? I've heard it's a good alternative to culinary school, which is expensive and doesn't guarantee anything. Would doing the equivalent of an unpaid apprenticeship at a good restaurant be worthwhile for a culinary career?
>>
File: catham.jpg (36KB, 640x625px) Image search: [Google]
catham.jpg
36KB, 640x625px
A stage is basically a 2-4 hour working interview. Basically the chef wants to see if you're a retard or not. If you have no experience, you will look like a retard. If you're asking if you should work for free for an extended period of time, you can fuck right off. We don't get paid enough as it is even though it takes years to develop all these skills. Don't need some faggot undercutting us working for free because MUH PASSION. Learn by working at chain restaurants or maybe a local sports bar that just does burgers or something. Stay for a year and learn everything. Now move to a nicer place. Stay for a year and learn everything. Eventually, 5 years down the line you can do a stage at the nicest restaurant in town and at least not look like a retard. Get paid to learn, it's the only respectable way.
>>
>>9361395
lmao fair enough. But you'd agree culinary school is also a bad call?

I'm mostly concerned with the possibility of never really moving up in the culinary world.
>>
>>9361330

I've said it before many times on this board, culinary school is by no means a scam. BUT, it all depends on that you want to do in your culinary career. If you want to just work on the line and have no aspirations to be a head chef, then yeah just getting a job at a restaurant is gonna be fine. But if you want to do something more with your career? If you want to become a high paying pastry chef or a head/sous chef? Then yeah culinary school is gonna be your thing.

This isn't to say that everyone in a high-paying culinary job went to school for it. Experience goes a long way in this job. But a lot more doors open for you with that education under your belt.

I'm gonna give you a quick story that happened to a friend of mine. I live in New Orleans, and one of my friends has been working at a rather nice restaurant for years, training under the pastry chef there. Now at this particular restaurant the pastry chef makes right around 60k, so when the pastry chef announced he was leaving my friend was excited because he thought he had the job in the bag. Turns out that he lost the job to a girl years younger than him because while she had less experience she HAD gotten a culinary education and simply knew things he didn't.

So look I'm not gonna tell you that culinary school is by any means necessary, after all plenty of millionaires never had college educations. But if you want to go far it may be something you want to do.
>>
chefs are gonna roast you and the other cooks on the line wont respect u when you say you went to culinary school even if some of them went

but the bottom line is that if u are always on time/early, never call out, work fast and hard, and just badass line cook in general then you will get respect from the other boys no matter what
>>
File: alien.jpg (63KB, 720x697px) Image search: [Google]
alien.jpg
63KB, 720x697px
>>9361411
Climb up the ladder as I described for a couple of years. If you feel like you're down for decades more of it, maybe culinary school is the right call. The worst possible thing you could do is to enroll without ever having really experienced life in the trenches. The truth is, most of your job will be repetetive execution of recipes that you have no say over, lots of cleaning, prepping, organizing, and sweating, and maybe, just maybe, the occasional opportunity to "UNLEASH YOUR PASSION" (don't ever say that cooking is your passion unless you want the Mexicans to laugh at you and never respect you). If you can handle the grill night after night at a busy sports bar, you probably have what it takes but you will need more education. You can either get paid to do it by switching restaurants every 8-15 months (which takes longer, but you're getting paid) or by going to culinary school (which is stupid unless you're really really really sure that this is what you want to do). I have worked with hundreds of cooks over the years, some of them good, some of them bad, most of them average, a few that were honestly amazing. Not once have I worked with someone fresh out of culinary school with no real work experience who was anything other than a complete fucking retard. Like, they actively slow shit down and fuck shit up and cost everyone time and money because they think they know what they're doing. I personally would never hire a fresh culinary grad with no experience.
>>
>>9363389
yeah i have experience but i wouldn't want to stay in the culinary world if i could only be as good/high-up as my bosses, which is why im wondering if culinary school can get me further ahead
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.