[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, /ck/. I am on a diet and am eating a lot of crock pot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Crock-Pot-Chicken-Tacos-083.jpg (238KB, 1080x1618px) Image search: [Google]
Crock-Pot-Chicken-Tacos-083.jpg
238KB, 1080x1618px
Hello, /ck/.

I am on a diet and am eating a lot of crock pot chicken.

Any tips on how to prevent it from becoming dry during the cooking process? It seems to be random for me. Will cooking for longer making it softer or harder?
>>
>>9360083
As it cooks longer it draws more moisture from the flesh, regardless of the amount of liquid in your pot. You have to cook it the right amount of time for it to be tender. You can also very over cook it where it might fall apart but why?
>>
>>9360167
What would be the right amount of time if I am cooking 6 pounds at once? 3 hours?
>>
>>9360083
More fat = more moist
Use thighs.
>>
>>9360222
Chicken thighs are basically equivalent to eating a cut of pork. They're like 10-12% fat.
>>
Slow cooking is to break down collagen, connective tissue and fat which will flavor meat and make it moist.
Lean cuts like chicken breast, tenderloin or eye fillet have hardly any of this stuff so they just dry out if you cook them for long.
You have to get the timing perfect for moist chicken breast, grilled, it's probably more like 10 minutes.
Brining breast ahead of time (salt it) or marinading it with an acid (lime juice or vinegar) helps a lot too.
Slow cookers suck because you don't get any mallard reaction (one of the main things that makes food taste good).
>>
>>9360169

use a low temp and test it every now and then

also, if dryness is an issue then using chicken thigh instead of breast is preferable
>>
>>9360294
This. You gotta sear that shit first.
>>
tons of dumb in this thread.

Just add sweet potatoes / potatoes, some other stew worthy things like leeks, and carrots.

add a small amount of broth or stock

slow cook any meat for 8 hours maybe stir half way through.

no burn, always good.
>>
>>9360227
Then eat a smaller portion, fatty.
>>
>>9360083
Chicken stock
>>
>>9360502
more like, no brown, not that good

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/why-pressure-cookers-are-better-than-slow-cookers.html
>>
>>9360083
Slow cooking lean cuts can often make the meat seam dry. Fattier cuts and cuts that have more connective tissue will be harder to dry out, and connective tissue will turn to gelatin that will give a favorable moist texture.

Also something I've notice no one else has said is salt content. Salt helps water and protein to bind during cooking. If you brine your meat before you cook it you will notice a significant difference in water retention.

When I brine meats at home I use the equilibrium method.
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/equilibrium-brining
>>
>>9360227

1) So what?
2) It's a slow cooked dish. If you're ascared of that evil fatzzz then just fucking SKIM it when you're done cooking.
>>
>>9360561
Brining is significant if you're going to be using a quick cooking method, like pan-frying, grilling a steak, etc. It has negligible effect on a braise.
>>
>>9360083
>frozen chicken drums
>separate and sprinkle with your seasonings
>place on cooker on high for about 5hrs
>perfectly succulent
>>
>>9360227
your point being?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.