[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the appeal of fish? I've never really eaten

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1500553609284.gif (80KB, 494x276px) Image search: [Google]
1500553609284.gif
80KB, 494x276px
What's the appeal of fish? I've never really eaten it because I didn't like the smell and so just never came round to it.

Also ITT share seafood dishes because I'd like to start trying fish and expanding my palette a little.
>>
It has the satisfaction of eating meat, a wide variety of tastes depending on the fish and the cut, pairs well with innumerable other foods and drink, and is generally low in fat but high in other essential oils and vitamins that are hard to find in similar concentrations elsewhere.
>>
Do you live near the ocean? If yes go to a local fish market.
If no go catch your own fresh water fish, batter it up and fry it. Serve with a condiment of your choosing. I grew up eating it with ketchup so I still use that.
>>
>>9358386
Oh you can smoke or pickle the fresh water fish as well.
>>
It tastes good
>>
>>9358386
I'm a landlubber and ashamed of it unfortunately, but I'm going on a trip to a small fishing town near the water fairly soon so I might check the stuff there,
>>
File: IMG_20160111_210044-1.jpg (289KB, 600x802px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160111_210044-1.jpg
289KB, 600x802px
>>9358368
shrimps are very tastey
>>
File: 20150503_182051.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20150503_182051.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>9358442
Yes, they are.
>>
>>9358450
shit dude that actually looks really tasty
>>
>>9358450
I can't tell if that's some very fancily plate shrimp and grits or if that's some kind of cream sauce in the center.
>>
>>9358368
Blackend mahi topped with crab imperial is an amazing dish based dish. It's expensive to make but very worth it.
>>
>>9358442
>crabposter
Must be hard to type with those big meaty claws.
>>
>>9358368
I hate it when seafood smells rank or oily.

Good fish to avoid that issue are salmon, monkfish, and tuna. Go to a clean supermarket that chills their meat well. For price and variety's sake, I'd suggest an asian grocery. H-Mart is my favorite. If you go to a Mexican grocery, it's often less clean, but they'll kill a live fish for you and clean it for free, which takes care of any freshness problem. If the fish is already dead, look for wet, full eyes and scales without dry spots. The flesh should be uniform in texture, shiny, and plump.

Once you get the fish home, check it over for small bones. I like to use a small, sharp knife for when the bones are all lined up in a bit you can slice off, and a pair of sturdy tweezers I only use in the kitchen for when there's a random bone hanging out by itself. When tweezing a bone, dig into the base of the bone with a small knife cut and pull in the same direction as the grain of the meat. If the bone isn't attached to anything, and is just sitting in a slab of meat, just shake it back and forth to dislodge the connective tissues and pull it out.

Once you have a nice slab of meat with no bones, you can fry that up in some olive oil. I like to only use a little olive oil, and make it taste nice by frying some fresh herbs and spices in it first. My favorite combination is thyme leaves and caraway seeds. Just move the spices around in the hot oil until it smells nice and fragrant. Add the fish to the oil and spices, flipping once. The middle should be opaque, unless you went all out and bought sashimi-grade fish. In that case, I just add a little sear and crust.

I like to eat fish with steamed vegetables and sticky rice.
>>
>>9358511
Sausage in the middle makes me think grits.
>>
>>9358528>>9358450
>>9358391
>>9358386
>>9358383
Thanks for the advice my dudes, it'll be interesting to actually give fish a chance

>>9358514
Looked it up and holy shit it looks tasty, definitely gonna try and get my hands on some mahi when I can. Thanks!
>>
>>9358368
It tastes good.
>>
File: garum.jpg (35KB, 202x700px) Image search: [Google]
garum.jpg
35KB, 202x700px
>>9358368
>>9358528
Wrong. That "rank" oily smell is the rich mix of proteins that were lost when our ancestors (and their photosynthesizing food sources) moved to the land and went down separate evolutionary paths. The first humans most likely scoured the coasts for food, seafood is a part of our natural diet and where we would obtain omega 3 DHA oil for our brain and other nutrients scarce on land.

You find it disgusting due to mental illness related to anoerexia or something.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.