[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to start cooking my own food instead of eating fast food

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1491943272838.jpg (252KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1491943272838.jpg
252KB, 500x667px
I want to start cooking my own food instead of eating fast food and tv dinners.
I thought there would be a sticky to read like /fit/ has. How do I get started with cooking? Eating healthier would be nice but I'm just mainly looking to save money.
>>
>>9351818
Start with eggs. It'll help you get used to cooking in a pan.
>>
>>9351818
what are some of your favorite foods?

google the recipe, buy the ingredients, and do it.
>>
>>9351818
Jerk around here and get some dishes. Then google/duckduckgo/whatever the recipie for it and read a few, pick the one you preffer and get cooking
You can also check JewTube. I personally like FoodWishes. I recommend it, but be aware that you need to be able to go trough mountains of intentionally cringy jokes as a way of taunting you
>>
Eggs, toast, bacon, baked/fried potatoes. The easiest meal in the world, once you do that enough you can move on to bigger and healthier stuff.
>>
File: img_0527.jpg (685KB, 2474x1855px) Image search: [Google]
img_0527.jpg
685KB, 2474x1855px
>>9351818
I started out slow cooking. It's barely even cooking.
>>
>get some pots and pans
>buy some ingredients
>cook them

It really is that easy. If you want to eat healthier then add more vegetables. If you want to eat cheaper then add more bulk rice and/or dried beans. In fact you should buy bulk for everything whenever possible. For example say you want a pork chop. You can either buy one for $2 or you can buy an entire pork loin for $20 and then cut it into 20 chops and freeze 19 of them. Maybe you don't want 20 chops? you can make a section of it into a roast or you can carve it up to use in another dish.
>>
>>9351818
The Cook's Book is a really good reference. There's also America's Test Kitchen's "The Best Simple Recipes", which I'm particularly fond of.
Expand your repertoire over time until you find something you really enjoy cooking, then practice.
>>
>>9351818
/ck/ thinks it's a meme but watch Good Eats and follow some of Brown's recipes for simple cooking and then branch out from there
>>
>>9351818
>oh shit nigger
>How to tell when a 20 year old white kid is making a thread
>>
>>9352069
Black people are an urban myth.
>>
>>9352069
27 white [spoiler]on the inside[/spoiler]
I just used it because it's the only food related image I have handy
>>
If you're trying to save money here's what you buy OP:

>Chicken breasts or thighs
>brown rice
>dried black beans
>frozen broccoli and spinach
>potatoes
>Nuts
>peanut butter
>spices
>sauces
>olive oil
>eggs
>oats
>whey protein

Learn how to boil rice (it says so right on the bag), or just buy a rice cooker. Learn how to fry stuff as well as stir fry stuff, how to bake and broil, etc... It's all in cookbooks and recipes online. You really just have to think of what you like to eat and learn how to cook that stuff.
>>
>>9351818
Rice, lentils, etc., are cheap and you can make lots of things with them.

Learn about different types of rices for different dishes, it will give you variety without wasting money. For example, if you want to prepare some sautéed vegetables with rice, it will be convenient to use yamani rice, but, if you want to prepare a risotto you will need arborio rice.

A simple recipe with vegetables and rice for one person.

1/2 cup of yamani rice
1 onion
1/2 red pepper and 1/2 green pepper or one of the same colour
1 carrot
Some pumpkin, about the same quantity than the carrot
Sesame seeds
1 or 2 eggs
1 garlic clove
Soy sauce
Some parsley

Start with the rice. Yamani rice will take around 20 minutes (try to use a timer, try it and if it needs more time add some water), add it when the water is already boiling. When the rice is getting ready start cutting everything in sticks.
Add oil (olive oil if you have) to a pan, preferably a non-stick pan, and start with the hardest veggies like the carrot and the pumpkin and add some soy sauce. When these two are getting some colour add the peppers and add some more soy sauce. Do the same with the onions and the garlic clove.
Prepare a simple omelette with the egg, cut it and add it.
When the rice is ready you have to add it to the pan with the vegies and add some more soy sauce, then add the parsley.
>>
LURK MOAR
U
R
K
>>
>>9351818
I like using wikihow for really basic shit like making scrambled eggs or boiling chicken. They give explanations as to why things are done and that allows me to fiddle with the it however I like. If you understand the various cooking processes and techniques, you can start modifying other recipes to suit your tastes. I like to read several recipes for what I want to make and then make a simple one. After that I make the same dish a few times with my own twists on it by changing ingredients and possibly cooking it other ways. Just whatever I can do that seems like it'll work out well. It usually does. I can only think of one time that I made something I had to throw out, and that was from a bad substitution on a recipe I had never made before. I have accidently made many things too spicy for other people by cooking drunk, so watch out for that. Also, making multiple dishes simultaneously can really fuck up your timing and mess up some of the dishes, so plan carefully and don't just dive in.

Tl;dr: just try recipes and try to understand the theory behind what you're doing. Then if you want to experiment, consider what would taste good together and work texture-wise. It's pretty fun.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.