[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys, I turn to you in a hour of need. I cook my own food since

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Sushi.jpg (128KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Sushi.jpg
128KB, 1280x720px
Guys, I turn to you in a hour of need. I cook my own food since 2005, but I was never as planless as yesterday.
I tried myself at making sushi for the first time.
I sticked exactly to the recipe, which said something along the lines of
>let the rice soak in the water for 30 minutes
>Boil the rice
>let it boil for 10 minutes
>turn down the heat on lowest setting for 15 minutes
>let it cool of in the pot
>finished

First try was bad. Like, really bad. It burned in and I basically ruined the pot. First time that ever happened to me.
On the second try, I put the rice after short boiling (~3 minutes) on a baking pan with water and on ~90°C in the oven for about 2 hours.
It was al dente afterwards, but tasted like nothing.
The nori leaves tasted like plastic, and all in all it was just plain bad.

What did I do wrong/Any advices on how to make good homemade sushi?
>>
>>9350964
https://youtu.be/8-tPcVb3anI

Dude, even Japanese people use rice cookers.
>>
>>9350964
Just use a rice cooker, you can get one for like 20 bucks
>>
>>9350964
What I do for my rice is use a 2:1 water to rice ratio. I get the rice in the water, set it on high, and as soon as it starts to boil I cover it and set it on low so it's just barely simmering, and let it go ~15 minutes. After it's done you let it sit there for like 10 minutes, and then add a sushi seasoning made with rice wine vinegar and mirin (and sugar if a fatass). Obviously this should all be done with a short grained variety of rice meant for sushi.
>>
File: f49MWiX.jpg (324KB, 600x1787px) Image search: [Google]
f49MWiX.jpg
324KB, 600x1787px
>>
You shouldn't be boiling it like that. You bring the water to a boil and then turn down the heat to simmer the rice.
>>
Remember to rinse your rice beforehand. I'd recommend a rice cooker honestly, saves you the trouble of having to watch over the rice too. Make sure when you're making the sushi, you're using rice that has cooled off to near room temperature. Put it in the fridge for 10 or so minutes if you want it to cool off faster.

What fillings are you using?

>>9351623
What this guy said too.
>>
ffs. Sushi rice is 1 to 1.3 ratio. for initial cooking, then add the rice wine vinegar.

Go find a real recipe. Don't use a fucking rice cooker. That's for assholes that live in apartments.
>>
Get a proper rice cooker. If there are two things the Elevens know about cooking, it's how to make rice and how to autistically maximize the amount of work put into something - and even for them, your average neighborhood sushi joint will use a National or a Zojirushi or a Rinnai, quite possibly a standard household model.

Also, what rice cultivar were you using?
>>
>>9350964
>Boil the rice
>let it boil for 10 minutes
>turn down the heat on lowest setting for 15 minutes

How on earth could you fuck that up? Maybe too little water and an induction cooktop where the lowest setting is still too high? I have a portable induction hob where the lowest setting is 400 Watts and I know I would get the same result with that as you did. I usually just simmer the rice for ten minutes, then turn off the heat competely and just let the pot sit for another 15 minutes. Maybe wrap it in a towel to keep it hotter for longer.
>>
>>9350964
How can you fail at cooking rice ?

> but tasted like nothing.
Well rice taste like nothing in general. You need to add rice vinegar, sugar and salt to your rice so it'll taste like usual sushi rice (also use sushi rice).
>>
Biggest thing is to wash your rice. Like, perfectly. If I fill up your pot of rice I should be able to see straight to the bottom of it with no cloudiness.

Assuming you're using the correct rice, there will still be enough starch for everything to stick together.

What are you using to season the rice OP? You say it tasted like nothing.

The Nori will taste like plastic if you roll the sushi while the rice is still too hot. All the steam and moisture will cause it to lose any crispiness it might have had and it becomes a shit wrapper.
>>
>>9351553
This... you can literally boil it for a few seconds to a minute, cover, and remove from heat entirely. In 20-30 minutes, you have rice.
>>
>>9350964
What kind of fucking instructions are those jfc.

You bring it to a boil, then simmer until finished. Or what other anons said. Turn off the heat and let it sit.

First of all, make sure you use sushi (Japonica rice, or calrose is fine) rice. Rinse it at least three times, or if you're feeling it, until the water runs mostly clear.

I used to do 2:1 water and rice. That's wrong, and while it's OK for long grain rice it'll fuck up your sushi rice. Do 1 1/2 or even 1 1/3 water to one cup of rice. I forget what ration I use now, but I just went by what it said on the bag.

You add the seasoning (rice vinegar and sugar) while it's still hot. But you can also buy premixed seasoning if you're lazy.

Alternately, get a fucking rice cooker.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.