[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've noticed a lot of "salt and vinegar" snacks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 71bV6LLCPXL._SX522_.jpg (44KB, 522x456px) Image search: [Google]
71bV6LLCPXL._SX522_.jpg
44KB, 522x456px
I've noticed a lot of "salt and vinegar" snacks don't have vinegar (acetic acid) at all!

Those potato chips and nuts are artificially-flavored.

The tang comes from malic acid (what makes green apples sour).

I'm thinking this acid is tastier tham vinegar. I should be using it on potatoes and fried food.

Thoughts?
>>
>>9341494
>my chemical is less artificial than your chemical!

Manufacturers use malic acid to imitate vinegar probably because it's stronger and thus more economical, (you can add less for an equivalent level of sourness).

Bear this in mind if you're going to make a solution out of it for cooking, because it's the same acid that gives extreme sour candy its flavour. You don't want your fries to taste like they were dusted with Warheads.
>>
>>9341535
That doesn't sound bad, as long as you didn't use too much.
>>
>>9341535
>because it's the same acid that gives extreme sour candy its flavour

That's often citric acid.
>>
>>9341689
almost all of them have both. extreme was the key word.
>>
>>9341535
>You don't want your fries to taste like they were dusted with Warheads.
Don't tell me what I want and don't want, bitch.
>>
>>9341494
>>9341689

Malic acid would very rarely be the primary flavourant in salt and vinegar. The primary flavourant is almost always sodium acetate.

Malic acid is used to impart a strongly sour flavour, reminiscent of green apples and sour plums. Citric acid has a longer sour flavour, with a harsher edge to it (though malic acid is more sour in the same quantity)
>>
>>9341494
acids have different flavor profiles u dumb

malic is used for premium brands because it's sweeter and milder and it's apple cider vinegar

white vinegar is the most artificial cooking ingredient I can think of
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.