[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anybody here cooked sous vide before? I just ordered an Anova

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Sous-Vide-ENG.jpg (140KB, 640x356px) Image search: [Google]
Sous-Vide-ENG.jpg
140KB, 640x356px
Has anybody here cooked sous vide before?
I just ordered an Anova Precision Cooker, and can't wait to try it.
>>
that image is bullshit but yes i have cooked sous vide. i started doing it long before you could get consumer level all in one circulators. i figured out my hot tap put out a pretty consistent 55C and would fill a big pan inside a cool bag with it and dose the temperature up or down by adding hot or cold water and swirling. then i would set my thermometer to beep whenever it went out by more than a degree and come in and adjust it. i cooked things for three days sometimes doing it this way because i had way too much time on my hands.

my favourite sous vide thing so far has been octopus.
>>
That sounds amazing but a quick wikipedia/google check reveals it will take far too long for a restaurant to cook and there's bacterial risks involved.
>>
>>9341418

>That sounds amazing but a quick wikipedia/google check reveals it will take far too long for a restaurant to cook

what

a) no it won't
b) it's not about how long something cooks but about how consistent it is.

> there's bacterial risks involved.

along with every other form of cooking
>>
>>9341418
Restaurants love sous vide. It makes preparing a customer's order so much easier because all the ingredients are prepped, portioned, and cryo-vaced in advance. The cooks can simply grab the appropriate bag and go to town without having to measure or portion anything. And as the other anon posted it's other benefit is perfect consistency, which is exactly what restaurants strive for. When you go back and order your favorite dish you expect it to be the same as it was the last time you had it. Sous vide makes that much simpler than relying on a cook's skill. It's idiot proof because all variables are controlled precisely. In fact it's been used in restaurants since it was invented in France in the 1970's. It's only relatively recently that it's become something that home cooks know about.

Read up on sous vide in Modernist Cuisine.
>>
>>9341418
I know a bunch of restaurants that serve sous vide.
Hell, the restaurant at the other side of my street serves sous vide.
>>
>>9341418
>it will take far too long for a restaurant to cook

You don't do it when a customer orders it

you do it in the prep earlier that day, so that when a customer orders something you just need to quickly sear it on a pan
>>
>>9341448
And also if it's a very high-end place that's serving a fixed menu then they will be able to cook it a la minute because they know exactly when they'll be serving you what course.

Also many sous-vide dishes don't take that long to cook. Sure, some of them might go for multiple days, but some are only a few minutes. There were multiple examples of sous-vide cooking done on the old Iron Chef show (the Japanese one that got dubbed on Food Network). They managed to pull off multiple sous vide dishes, among other things, all within the 1 hour cooking time. That's not out of the question for a fine dining restaurant. They start cooking as soon as the kitchen gets the order. And while you're eating your salad and appetizer the later courses are in the circulator.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.